What photography related item did you SELL this week (and why)?

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
Sold all my Micro Four Thirds gear for 2.7K £ ... replaced them with a compact alternative of a rangefinder-style camera, one pancake zoom, and one general-purpose super-zoom. I will make a post of how things are coming along as I get used to it (it's been only 3 days and one usage attempt at the moment).
A perfectly sensible decision, given the imminent of arrival of the wolf cub. :D

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
A perfectly sensible decision, given the imminent of arrival of the wolf cub. :D
I really appreciate your reply. I really do hope it's sensible in the end, sacrifices are needed as it's not, only, about me anymore. I'll keep it short but at the moment I and giving Sony a7C a go with the kit lens and the Tamron 28-200mm f 2.8-5.6, it's a very small and compact combo (either 600 grams with the pancake zoom or 1.075 grams with the Tamron) and so far the AF has blown my socks off with both lenses and the handling reminds me very much of Panasonic GX7 days (probably more GX8 though I never had that camera). And the spare cash already did well for a crib and a trolly for Peanut.

ABFoz

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Kaore au i te rite mo tera.
I have recently sold my Panasonic G 25mm F/1.7 as I am using the 20mm F/1.7 much more today because of the size when mounted to the GM5.

I am an MFT 25mm guy but I can do with the 20mm. Besides, I still have my 7Artisans 25mm F/1.8 which is OK for now for my 25mm fix.

ABFoz

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Kaore au i te rite mo tera.
Doesn't it bother you that the diameter of the 20mm/1.7 is too large for the GM5 body?
I used to be bothered by the diameter difference but I got used to it now. I just placed a velcro half under the lens so it won't scratch.
qWqJSVh.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I almost always prefer the handstand on my primes when I put my camera on a surface but I don't want to put pressure on the focusing mechanism of the 20mm.
YTIccP7.jpg

Note: I have already removed the bottom foam stands in the photo.
If you put the Panasonic metal grip on the GM5 it fixes the size mismatch issue without adding significantly to the bulk of the camera.
Yes, it's the DMW-HGR1 and I thought of getting that last year, that's why I still remember the part number.
1629933845500.png

This is the GM1 with the 20mm. It has the same base as the GM5.
1629933954700.png

Attachments

• YTIccP7.jpg
    YTIccP7.jpg
    532.2 KB · Views: 43

Variable

Mu-43 Regular
I really appreciate your reply. I really do hope it's sensible in the end, sacrifices are needed as it's not, only, about me anymore. I'll keep it short but at the moment I and giving Sony a7C a go with the kit lens and the Tamron 28-200mm f 2.8-5.6, it's a very small and compact combo (either 600 grams with the pancake zoom or 1.075 grams with the Tamron) and so far the AF has blown my socks off with both lenses and the handling reminds me very much of Panasonic GX7 days (probably more GX8 though I never had that camera). And the spare cash already did well for a crib and a trolly for Peanut.
Yeah, I'm on the same train of thought, but dropping to RX100 VII. Just did a long trip, and am utterly fed up with changing lenses and missed shots. Will I miss the advantages of a GX85 and the huge range of lenses? Yes, but my photographic life will be a lot easier. I learned I'm not a whispy nuance photographer right now. I toyed with the idea of carrying 2 bodies, but that's just way beyond my enthusiasm.

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
This week's shipments (so far...):

429785359_ff77a240-bc7f-4135-8e73-637049cecf8c.jpg

As usual: NFIWL (No Furby Included With Lens)

437481082_8f46fff4-2ab8-45b9-9cd2-7c54a363635f.jpg

E-420/14-42 mm (just one more E-420 to go. Then moving on to the E-450's).

Consolidating to two E-500's (Kodak CCD, penta prism), a 510, and a 520. Don't know if I'm going to keep the 510 (low pass) or the 520... the journey will continue. I guess.

440922483_cdb6d006-6814-4337-96a6-b27c641065c6.jpg

Straps still popular!

431812385_bf712a3c-1c5d-4d35-b27c-1a1207837e51.jpg

And, finally, this..

melanie.ylang

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It took a while to shift them, but I've learned to price at the lower end, hold firm through the lowball offers, and wait: this week I sold Fujifilm X-T20 and Lumix LX100 mk2 for what I paid for them (used) within the past year, which was a relief. I also sold a Peak Design Leash strap, which had come with something I'd bought on Gumtree, so that's a little bonus.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
It took a while to shift them, but I've learned to price at the lower end, hold firm through the lowball offers, and wait: this week I sold Fujifilm X-T20 and Lumix LX100 mk2 for what I paid for them (used) within the past year, which was a relief. I also sold a Peak Design Leash strap, which had come with something I'd bought on Gumtree, so that's a little bonus.
Good advice. Pricing can be tricky, but this strategy is a good one. As long as the goods you're selling are not depreciating rapidly, with patience and persistence you can usually get the right price.

- K

melanie.ylang

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Good advice. Pricing can be tricky, but this strategy is a good one. As long as the goods you're selling are not depreciating rapidly, with patience and persistence you can usually get the right price.

- K
I forgot to start with, "buy quality gear at the low end"! I almost never make a loss - in fact, often a small profit - on my investigative purchases, as long as I don't lose my head trying to sell them later. It has been interesting, watching buy/sell trends on the used market during the pandemic.

Bushboy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I agree Melanie, prices are really high here. Stuff isn’t selling.
Tell them they’re dreaming!
Is that what your seeing?

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
Also the PL 50-200 will go to MBP on Tuesday. A bit disappointed by the low prices the m43 used gear is selling at, basically one should divide the MSRP by at least 2. I remember having this same shock few years back, when arriving to m43 from Nikon DSLR (where the used gear was prices at about 60-70% of MSRP). And watching the Sony FF used gear holding up the price quite well.

But still, I will keep my EM10iv and the pancakes for now, also the 45-175 power zoom.
I've noticed most Micro Four Thirds stuff sell at less than 50% of current, not even MSRP, pricing. Some places offer 25% off MSRP and sell your stuff at 50% *cough* CEX *cough*. I am not afraid or ashamed to admit that I have lost a lot of money in the last 3 years on-camera stuff just from trading stuff while I am finding my footing on where to stand with photography ... I value the time and results it has given me while I use it and try not to sweat too much what I have "lost" or "could have gotten for", I'm living with enough regrets as it is.

Real Name
Andrew L
I've noticed most Micro Four Thirds stuff sell at less than 50% of current, not even MSRP, pricing. Some places offer 25% off MSRP and sell your stuff at 50% *cough* CEX *cough*. I am not afraid or ashamed to admit that I have lost a lot of money in the last 3 years on-camera stuff just from trading stuff while I am finding my footing on where to stand with photography ... I value the time and results it has given me while I use it and try not to sweat too much what I have "lost" or "could have gotten for", I'm living with enough regrets as it is.
I frequently feel a pang of regret when I sell something and realize I could have asked a bit more for it - then I consciously have to remind myself that the $20 or $50 or whatever difference I might have gotten is a drop in the bucket. Sometimes I have to pull back from the details and look at the big picture to be reminded that my hobby is small potatoes.

Bushboy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
When you gotta sell, you gotta sell.
I’ve been there. No regrets.
The used m4/3 stuff for sale over here, sells at half price or less. That’s current model stuff. If you price it higher, it won’t sell. What’s the point of that?

Real Name
Andrew L
Well, it might happen to multiply by ten your figures above. Then it might hurt, but not much, really.
Pain aside, if I remember correctly, this was the situation from my beginning into m43 system, so it might not be directly related to the Olympus' current situation (JIP, OMDS, etc.).
I mean, I'm fairly savvy with buying and selling gear. I usually buy used, however, so the built-in depreciation is often already factored in.

I've probably made four-digit mistakes in buying and selling vehicles, however.

melanie.ylang

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
For me, this is the key. I never notice what the depreciation from new prices are because I quite simply never but new.

- K
Same here - new prices are irrelevant to me, other than as an indicator of how long I may have to wait to be able to afford to buy one used. I would prefer to buy the best of a thing once someone else has copped the depreciation, than a lesser thing at new price. Oops, I just let the cat out of the bag! ? Also, I like to think of the environmental benefits to buying used.

Since the pandemic, I have noticed used prices on private sales (e.g. for mu43, Fujifilm, compacts) in Australia have stayed up or been higher than previously, but sales have been slower. Interesting times.

Real Name
Andrew L
Same here - new prices are irrelevant to me, other than as an indicator of how long I may have to wait to be able to afford to buy one used. I would prefer to buy the best of a thing once someone else has copped the depreciation, than a lesser thing at new price. Oops, I just let the cat out of the bag! ? Also, I like to think of the environmental benefits to buying used.

Since the pandemic, I have noticed used prices on private sales (e.g. for mu43, Fujifilm, compacts) in Australia have stayed up or been higher than previously, but sales have been slower. Interesting times.
I have also noticed private sales on sites like this move very slowly lately. Oddly, sales for me on eBay have remained fairly fast for photo equipment. Too bad, since eBay fees have increased and they are now reporting sales to IRS as income. What made me rather furious after selling the highest-priced camera I've sold in a while is finding out that eBay takes their 12% fee off the top of gross sales, including sales tax. So, even though a) I live in a state without sales tax, and b) I don't receive the proceeds of sales tax (obviously), since the buyer was charged sales tax I had a whopping extra $70 or so added to the amount eBay took their fees out of. Ridiculous.

Latest threads

Top Bottom