What photography related item did you SELL this week (and why)?

DickB

Mu-43 Regular
They seem to have a very good reputation for buying and selling
I personally prefer to use eBay to maximise my return

I try to buy only at sale prices or where manufacturers have seasonal / cashback and other offers so that if and when I sell I lose very little or even make a little
That way I can try out lots of equipment without breaking the bank :thumbup:
I used to use KEH but the last couple of times I tried them their website was not working properly and I had a hard time even getting a quote; don't know what's going on there. This is the first time I've used MPB and now waiting for money to be deposited so I hope that part goes well. ?
I admire you for going through ebay; I'm sure it's the most profitable way to go, but I'm just too lazy. In any case I hope I'm through with trying a lot of equipment for awhile!

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
On reading the above posts:
Earlier today the buyer picked up my/his 4/3 40-150 mm.

When talking to him, I deduced that he didn't understand exactly what he had bought, as he remarked that he just bought an Olympus E-M5, body only, at a very good price.

Interrogation, and education, follows.

He remembered reading, but obviously not understanding, something about adapter to M4/3 in my ad.

Difference between M4/3 and 4/3.

Then, of course, I tried to push my E-410.
Not received with wholehearted enthusiasm.

Then showing him cost of AF adapter 4/3 to M4/3 on the net. Emphasis on cost aspect. My camera, with 14-42, comes cheaper than the adapter. Swedish prices. No reason to show him how to get adapter for a third of the price in China. I'm a bad person.

Story ends, so far, with us parting as friends.
He promises to think about my camera.

Personally, I'm happy that the lens was already paid for by credit card.

EDIT: the given name of this guy was Nemo. Really. Like the little fish. Or, for those of you that actually read books, like the Verne submarine captain. I'm wondering if there are any conclusions to be drawn somewhere?

Last edited:

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
In the last few weeks, I've parted company with my Billingham Hadley Digital bag, Olympus 75mm f1.8, 75-300mm II and 50mm f2 macro - which after ebay fees have generated over 90% of the cost of my 100-400 which is on order.

I had decided never to part with the 75, then it became a choice of either getting rid of that or the 45mm f1.2. The 45mm is more useful to me.

The 75-300mm II still didn't have the reach I needed and won't accept a converter. The 50mm f2 was a beautiful lens, but I already have the 60mm f2.8 macro. I had convinced myself I 'needed' that one, on account of it being a very good price when I bought it.

As Rob mentioned earlier, I'm pretty careful when/how I buy (excepting the 100-400 where demand continues to outstrip supply, so no choice there), so changing gear isn't a big deal financially. I had made a moderate-good profit on each lens after fees and took a £20 hit on the bag.

ata3001

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ron
I wouldn't have let the position of Olympus & JIC, worry me in the least. I have my Pen F & several lenses that work just fine for me. If there ever comes a time when I need a change & if Olympus is then no longer an available option, that's when I will look at making a change. But for now, it's not something I'm going to even give a second thought to. If & when that time ever comes, I'll worry about it then.

Brodhall

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Sue
Finally sold the last of my Canon equipment - D700, 18-55, 28-80, 17-55, 70-300, 50mm and flash, the 28-80 and 70-300 I have had since my 1995 ? - not much money to be made but more room on the shelf for mft glass.

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
Just sold my Panasonic Lumix G7 body and 14-45mm lens.
Got three quotes and mpb were by far the best.
Posted off at 2 p.m yesterday
email at 10 a.m. this morning to say they'd arrived and to expect contact within 3 days for checking.
email at 2 p.m. this afternoon to say they were as described (as new) and payment approved. :thumbup:

The reason for selling:
I've just got a second (used) E-M5 mk2 in addition to an E-M10 mk3.
I've recently bought the 12-45mm f 4 Pro and also have the 14-42mm EZ lens.

You'll be happy to know that I've still got a Panasonic 45-140mm lens, so won't yet have to shorten my username. ;)

DickB

Mu-43 Regular
Just sold my Panasonic Lumix G7 body and 14-45mm lens.
Got three quotes and mpb were by far the best.
Posted off at 2 p.m yesterday
email at 10 a.m. this morning to say they'd arrived and to expect contact within 3 days for checking.
email at 2 p.m. this afternoon to say they were as described (as new) and payment approved. :thumbup:

The reason for selling:
I've just got a second (used) E-M5 mk2 in addition to an E-M10 mk3.
I've recently bought the 12-45mm f 4 Pro and also have the 14-42mm EZ lens.

You'll be happy to know that I've still got a Panasonic 45-140mm lens, so won't yet have to shorten my username. ;)
I'm also very pleased with MPB after first time with them. They checked my gear right away, gave me $100 more than I was expecting, and had the payment done right away. Nice to deal with people like that.

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
Sold my Yashica T4 35mm film camera.
Although I was mostly keeping my old cameras for posterity (or sentimental reasons),
I don't think I'd ever consider using it again.
It was a bit battered and the battery door had to be held closed with tape.
Last year I noticed one going for around the £200 mark.
Offered it to LCE and they gave me £100 for it.
Not mine but just to show the model:
Yashica_T4 02.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
Sold my Yashica T4 35mm film camera.
Although I was mostly keeping my old cameras for posterity (or sentimental reasons),
I don't think I'd ever consider using it again.
It was a bit battered and the battery door had to be held closed with tape.
Last year I noticed one going for around the £200 mark.
Offered it to LCE and they gave me £100 for it.
Not mine but just to show the model:
View attachment 869685
Did you charge extra for the tape?

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
Sold my IX-Nikkor 60-180 mm.
While watching hockey ?
FV5_0794-01.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Vermont3133

A New Lens Will Fix It!
Real Name
Stu
GX8...Sold!
I loved it [mostly] but the biggest dislike for me, sadly, was the miss-placed %&3@* display button! Such a small inconsequential item that drove me bananas as I endlessly cycled through the display options after accidently knocking it while gripping the camera.
Apart from that.....a bit big, articulating screen [never used it....much prefer a tilt out screen], lack of real IBIS [and the ability to see the effect of any stabilization on half press of the shutter] and no real focus bracketing capability.
My new GX85 resolves those problems!

Last edited:

shreebles

Mu-43 Veteran
I'm considering to sell my Pen F. Thinking to upgrade it to EM1 II
It would certainly be an upgrade for ergonomics.
I always liked the look of the Pen-F but when getting one I found it handles like a brick. Not tall, but wide and deep, with no proper grip to hold onto. Sold it within a few weeks.
The E-M1 is a joy to hold and use, except with really large lenses. For that, the E-M1 ii is great.

DickB

Mu-43 Regular
GX8...Sold!
I loved it [mostly] but the biggest dislike for me, sadly, was the miss-placed %&3@* display button! Such a small inconsequential item that drove me bananas as I endlessly cycled through the display options after accidently knocking it while gripping the camera.
Apart from that.....a bit big, articulating screen [never used it....much prefer a tilt out screen], lack of real IBIS [and the ability to see the effect of any stabilization on half press of the shutter] and no real focus bracketing capability.
My new GX85 resolves those problems!
You didn't mention my main problem with the GX8: the also misplaced EC dial. It was unreachable and un-turnable while composing a photo. To add insult to injury, there was no provision to put EC on the front dial where I always have it on my cameras. Along with your items, I think this qualifies for the worst ergo on any Panny camera!

Fuzzdog

Mu-43 Regular
Reluctantly sold my E-M1 Mk2 and the rest of my M43 kit, as I've lost most of my income thanks to that lovely virus thing currently floating around, and bills were mounting up.

Guess I'm going back to my old 4/3 kit for a while - it'll be an interesting photography challenge at least! I'd have sold all that instead but it's all worth about the price of a pack of half decent teabags these days. :biggrin:

DickB

Mu-43 Regular
Reluctantly sold my E-M1 Mk2 and the rest of my M43 kit, as I've lost most of my income thanks to that lovely virus thing currently floating around, and bills were mounting up.

Guess I'm going back to my old 4/3 kit for a while - it'll be an interesting photography challenge at least! I'd have sold all that instead but it's all worth about the price of a pack of half decent teabags these days. :biggrin:
Sorry to hear about that. I'm fortunate to be retired with enough income to live on. I know so many these days are hurting and my heart goes out to you and others in that boat. Best of luck with your old 4/3 gear; post some pics for us to see!

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian

Yes, really sorry to hear that. I appreciate how hard it must be when one has to sell something that's valued in your life.
I'm in the same position as @DickB above.
It's such a shame that when we are busy working, trying to bring up a family etc, that the government takes so much off us in taxes etc. when we really need the money.
Then, when we're retired, they keep paying us a pension when we don't need (all) the money (speaking personally of course). ;)
I'm sure you'll be fine with your 4/3 stuff for now, and wish you good luck for the future.

JensM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
As screename
Nissin I40, came with a secondhand GX9 bundle I picked up on the local equivalent of CL, in Tuesday, out Wednesday. Hefty little thing, and seemed very solidly built, but I have the Meike35 for such and the bundle was bought with items to flip, so flipped it was. The GX9 house may end up costing me about $150-200 when all is sold and done. :drinks:

Latest threads

Top Bottom