What photography related item did you SELL this week (and why)?

Levster

Mu-43 All-Pro
Sold my Canon RP kit. That hurt. Should have rented it. I liked the output, but not the shooting experience. I did learn that I HATE left-sided on/off switches. I'm sticking with right-sided on/off switches from now on (that wasn't the only thing, but it was a super annoyance for me).
It’s surprising how much a little thing like that gets in the way of an enjoyable experience!

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
This is a newfound, and, I admit, somewhat alien thread/concept for me, but:

Elmo 350 SL
FV5_0493-01.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
FV5_0496-01.jpeg

Sony Digital Handycam
FV5_0598-01.jpeg
FV5_0604-01.jpeg

These two above have got the first, asking price bids, but I'm waiting for the final hour frenzy...

Soon to be eBayed:
FV5_0525-01.jpeg
FV5_0531-01.jpeg
FV5_0526-01.jpeg

This one is a little bit too unwieldy to be more than a curiosity on M4/3, and, looking at prices of comparable items, should be able to fund some Exaktas and Edixas quite nicely...

Last edited:

Bytesmiths

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jan Steinman
I HATE left-sided on/off switches. I'm sticking with right-sided on/off switches from now on
I'm always a bit surprised to read this.

I've been with Olympus since the film days, and the OM-1, OM-2, OM-3, and OM-4 (and variations) have always had the switch on the left. So maybe they just trained me. But then, I adapted pretty easily when the E-System came out and the switch was on the right.

Now, the OM-D System has both! It's mainly and obviously on the left, but you can re-map the lever switch on the right of the E-M1 (and variants) to be a power switch.

I guess that I just don't use it that much for it to be much trouble to me. I have the E-M1.2 set for maximum energy conservation, so it generally turns itself off, and I'm in the habit of quickly toggling the left-side on-off switch from on to off to on again when I pick it up after it's been sitting a while.

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik

I've been with Olympus since the film days, and the OM-1, OM-2, OM-3, and OM-4 (and variations) have always had the switch on the left. So maybe they just trained me. But then, I adapted pretty easily when the E-System came out and the switch was on the right.

Now, the OM-D System has both! It's mainly and obviously on the left, but you can re-map the lever switch on the right of the E-M1 (and variants) to be a power switch.

I guess that I just don't use it that much for it to be much trouble to me. I have the E-M1.2 set for maximum energy conservation, so it generally turns itself off, and I'm in the habit of quickly toggling the left-side on-off switch from on to off to on again when I pick it up after it's been sitting a while.
As long as there's a switch that is not as stupid as the switch on the Sony A230, I'm satisfied.
sony_a230_05.jpg
sony_a230_12.jpg

The power switch on the A230 is in a place where you would expect the control wheel to be, which made me turn the camera off by accident all too frequently...

But I sold it a long time ago. I now have the A290 to use my old A-mount Minolta lenses on. But I'm looking for a reasonably priced A900 to replace it.

Last edited:

Mu-43 Legend

The Canon RP was different. Can't remap, and it's a smooth cylinder with no markings to feel. The number of times I put it down without powering off was too many. Add to that a 200-odd shot battery life, and it was an annoyance.

Last edited:

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
As long as there's a switch that is not as stupid as the switch on the Sony A230, I'm satisfied.
View attachment 844858 View attachment 844859
The power switch on the A230 is in a place where you would expect the control wheel to be, which made me turn the camera off by accident all too frequently...

But I sold it a long time ago. I now have the A290 to use my old A-mount Minolta lenses on. But I'm looking for a reasonably priced A900 to replace it.
There have been a lot of Nikon’s exactly like that. Can’t say it’s ever bothered me either way though.
1599165839694.jpeg

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
There have been a lot of Nikon’s exactly like that. Can’t say it’s ever bothered me either way though.
View attachment 844866
Maybe the Nikon switch is a bit more "stiff" than the Sony one. Like the switch on my Pentaxes. Never turned that one off by accident.

pentax_k7_04.jpg
pentax_k7_13.jpg

Also the "grip" of the A230 was kinda making your finger slide up to the on/off switch.
Not the best in ergonomics...

But the Sony was just my second DSLR. Wasn't sure of what I was doing then. At least it had IBIS. And the light meter worked with all lenses you could mount on it.

The first one was a Nikon D40. That was pretty nice to hold, but plasticky. Plastic bayonet kit lens. And if I wanted to use old lenses, it stupidly incapacitated the light meter. That put me off Nikon till this day.

But when I got my third DSLR it was a Pentax. That ticked all the right boxes. Ergonomics. IBIS. Good compatibility with old lenses. Build quality, even though it was a budget model (K-100D Super) with only a penta mirror finder. Metal bayonet kit lens.
And so on...

That's how you get repeat customers!

Last edited:

frankmulder

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Sold my Olympus 75mm f/1.8 (that is, I got the money and I'm sending it off tomorrow). Had it for a bit less than a year. The lens was perfect for indoor concerts, but those don't happen too often right now (and I will revert to the Panasonic 35-100mm f/2.8 for such occasions). And I thought I'd use it for portraits, but didn't like the compressed look that it gives. It flattened people's faces and bodies too much for my taste. (I find it does work when you go really close up, but my subjects don't like their flaws to be magnified that much. ;) ) For nature, it can work, but I find a zoom lens more practical, and I prefer to have weather sealing if I have the choice (and the P35-100 gives me that).

Anyway, bought it for € 500 and sold it for € 490, so not too much of a loss. It has been nice to try it out for € 10. :)

PeeBee

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I've had a purge:

G80. I really liked this camera, but after getting an EM1.2 last year, it was demoted to second / backup duties. I've recently bought a second EM1.2, so I don't think the G80 would get used much going forwards.

P12-60. A very good kit lens but I got a great deal on a 12-40 Pro earlier this year which gives me a faster max aperture and better compatibility with my EM1.2's. I'm gonna miss that 12-60 range though.

P100-300mm. It's served me well, but it's time to move on.

Oly 30mm Macro. I found the working distance a bit limiting and so I recently bought the 60mm Macro. Since I also have the Siggy 30mm f1.4, I don't feel the Oly 30mm gives me any unique feature.

Oly EPM1. I never really gelled with this camera, yet ironically it's one that I've kept for the longest time. It's low resale value didn't warrant the effort needed to sell it, and I guess it actually held a nostalgic value to me too. It was my first ever Olympus in my early days of interchangeable lens photography. Fun times.

Whilst I'm sad to see some of these items go, the good news is that along with a few other non related items I've sold, I've recovered the funds I've recently spent on the EM1.2 and f1,2 prime deal, putting an Oly 100-400 order back in the running. :thumbup:

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
I've had a purge:

G80. I really liked this camera, but after getting an EM1.2 last year, it was demoted to second / backup duties. I've recently bought a second EM1.2, so I don't think the G80 would get used much going forwards.

P12-60. A very good kit lens but I got a great deal on a 12-40 Pro earlier this year which gives me a faster max aperture and better compatibility with my EM1.2's. I'm gonna miss that 12-60 range though.

P100-300mm. It's served me well, but it's time to move on.

Oly 30mm Macro. I found the working distance a bit limiting and so I recently bought the 60mm Macro. Since I also have the Siggy 30mm f1.4, I don't feel the Oly 30mm gives me any unique feature.

Oly EPM1. I never really gelled with this camera, yet ironically it's one that I've kept for the longest time. It's low resale value didn't warrant the effort needed to sell it, and I guess it actually held a nostalgic value to me too. It was my first ever Olympus in my early days of interchangeable lens photography. Fun times.

Whilst I'm sad to see some of these items go, the good news is that along with a few other non related items I've sold, I've recovered the funds I've recently spent on the EM1.2 and f1,2 prime deal, putting an Oly 100-400 order back in the running. :thumbup:
May I ask where you managed to sell all that gear please, and get prices you were happy with?

mumu

Mu-43 All-Pro

I've been with Olympus since the film days, and the OM-1, OM-2, OM-3, and OM-4 (and variations) have always had the switch on the left.
Me too. But on those cameras, the battery lasted weeks even if left on. For my type of shooting (street) I need the battery to last AND I need the camera to be ready to shoot really quickly. With my EM5.2 I found the wake-from-sleep to be too slow and I really didn't like the left-side power switch.

Real Name
Andrew L
Well, folks, I've completed the sale of my GX9, P20 1.7 and Sigma 30 1.4. That means I am all but out of the M4/3 system. There's still a GF7 and 12-32 in the house, but those are my wife's if we're strictly accurate. It wasn't an easy choice to make, but I found myself growing away from my Panasonics for a while now. There still isn't a system to match the small size and responsiveness combined with very competent image quality, but I've found my cameras settling into certain niches, and I found I just don't feel enthused to pick up a do-everything system anymore.

The Ricoh GR spoiled me for small cameras. It goes with me everywhere, and the III has IBIS, 14-bit RAW and a crazy good lens. My appetite for snap photography has increased a lot, and the GR fulfills that role the best.

My film shooting has reacquainted me with optical viewfinders, and I find I vastly prefer them when I'm outside. I wear sunglasses a lot of the time, and they just mess with EVFs to a large degree. I can quickly dial up the outdoor viewing mode on my GR, but EVFs don't provide a super simple way to do that on the fly. An optical finder doesn't mess with the outside world or make me think I'm underexposing when I'm not.

So, in addition to a couple film RFs, I just ended up with a (gasp) DSLR, the Pentax KP. It's heavy, but not a lot bigger than the GX9 with the grip I always had attached to it. My choice was affected in part by my comfort level with the GR - the sensor and processing are super similar, if not essentially the same. On the other hand, it's my long experience with M4/3 that sold me on the KP: 5-axis IBIS, a pixel-shift mode, a really interesting lens library with tiny primes that are designed for the size of the imaging sensor. Canikon couldn't have tempted me with their lineups like Pentax has. They're outsiders, beat to the march of their own drum, and constantly seem on the verge of going away. In other words, my norm.

I don't doubt I'll get back into M4/3 at some point. My tastes evolve over time, and bodies are so inexpensive. If the format continues, and goes in the right direction, I feel there could be some major improvements, and things like large megapixel, computationally enhanced sensors and processing could revolutionize image quality. We'll have to see. I'll miss being a M4/3 preacher of righteousness. But I'll probably still preach it, honestly. My needs right now just don't match up with what's being offered.

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
Well Andrew, thanks for an honest assessment and I hope you'll be happy with your current kit.
I'd like to thank you for very welcome comments you made for some of my posts and the friendly way you conduct yourself on here.
Don't go away altogether, we'll miss you. :2thumbs:

Macroramphosis

Jack of Spades and an unfeasibly large wheelbarrow
Real Name
Roddy
I just ended up with a (gasp) DSLR, the Pentax KP.
Good luck with the switch, Andrew. The KP has always had a good rap and I'd love to see what you can do with that body and those tiny primes. Make sure you post some pics on the relevant forum here - would love to see how you go. Good luck and thanks for the input you've had here over the years.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Never thought I'd being writing this, but I sold my last Gx8 - which I have not really used in over a year. I found that video is now my "thing" and the Gx85 and G9 get the call due to the significantly better IBIS systems. The Gx85 size and the G9's range of still and video tools just were the reasons I left the Gx8 sitting. I sold also a 14-42 first version and the Sigma 30mm f2.8 which never go used after I got the 12-35. Ordering a second G9 very soon and expect that 2 G9's and the Gx85 will be my gear for a long time. Everything else I have gets specific use and @71 don't think I will be expanding my gear (perhaps one more lens) or changing to FF anytime soon if ever. I hated to sell the Gx8 but the G9 is just a better imaging tool that uses my m43 lenses. Sometimes I wish I had every digital camera I've had, but then I realize that I am not a collector but a user and my 3 body rule stays in play.

Markb

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mark
A Fuji 35/1.4, an E-PM1 and (this afternoon) a Canon EOS 550D with kit lens and some bits.

One more Fuji lens to go and I'm out of that phase.

Latest threads

Top Bottom