What photography related item did you SELL this week (and why)?

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
When you gotta sell, you gotta sell.
I’ve been there. No regrets.
The used m4/3 stuff for sale over here, sells at half price or less. That’s current model stuff. If you price it higher, it won’t sell. What’s the point of that?

Real Name
Andrew L
Well, it might happen to multiply by ten your figures above. Then it might hurt, but not much, really.
Pain aside, if I remember correctly, this was the situation from my beginning into m43 system, so it might not be directly related to the Olympus' current situation (JIP, OMDS, etc.).
I mean, I'm fairly savvy with buying and selling gear. I usually buy used, however, so the built-in depreciation is often already factored in.

I've probably made four-digit mistakes in buying and selling vehicles, however.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
I mean, I'm fairly savvy with buying and selling gear. I usually buy used, however, so the built-in depreciation is often already factored in.
For me, this is the key. I never notice what the depreciation from new prices are because I quite simply never but new.

- K

melanieylang

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
For me, this is the key. I never notice what the depreciation from new prices are because I quite simply never but new.

- K
Same here - new prices are irrelevant to me, other than as an indicator of how long I may have to wait to be able to afford to buy one used. I would prefer to buy the best of a thing once someone else has copped the depreciation, than a lesser thing at new price. Oops, I just let the cat out of the bag! 😉 Also, I like to think of the environmental benefits to buying used.

Since the pandemic, I have noticed used prices on private sales (e.g. for mu43, Fujifilm, compacts) in Australia have stayed up or been higher than previously, but sales have been slower. Interesting times.

Real Name
Andrew L
Same here - new prices are irrelevant to me, other than as an indicator of how long I may have to wait to be able to afford to buy one used. I would prefer to buy the best of a thing once someone else has copped the depreciation, than a lesser thing at new price. Oops, I just let the cat out of the bag! 😉 Also, I like to think of the environmental benefits to buying used.

Since the pandemic, I have noticed used prices on private sales (e.g. for mu43, Fujifilm, compacts) in Australia have stayed up or been higher than previously, but sales have been slower. Interesting times.
I have also noticed private sales on sites like this move very slowly lately. Oddly, sales for me on eBay have remained fairly fast for photo equipment. Too bad, since eBay fees have increased and they are now reporting sales to IRS as income. What made me rather furious after selling the highest-priced camera I've sold in a while is finding out that eBay takes their 12% fee off the top of gross sales, including sales tax. So, even though a) I live in a state without sales tax, and b) I don't receive the proceeds of sales tax (obviously), since the buyer was charged sales tax I had a whopping extra $70 or so added to the amount eBay took their fees out of. Ridiculous.

melanieylang

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have also noticed private sales on sites like this move very slowly lately. Oddly, sales for me on eBay have remained fairly fast for photo equipment. Too bad, since eBay fees have increased and they are now reporting sales to IRS as income. What made me rather furious after selling the highest-priced camera I've sold in a while is finding out that eBay takes their 12% fee off the top of gross sales, including sales tax. So, even though a) I live in a state without sales tax, and b) I don't receive the proceeds of sales tax (obviously), since the buyer was charged sales tax I had a whopping extra $70 or so added to the amount eBay took their fees out of. Ridiculous.
That would have been very disappointing. I don't like selling on eBay, it always feels how you've described, regardless of the sale price. I've never had any success selling on this forum, I guess because there aren't really many Aussie members.

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard

That, unfortunately is a painful fact of life with all selling platforms.

All of my business sales (new goods) include 20% sales tax (16.66% of gross), or VAT as it's known here. Ebay's fee is a percentage of the whole price paid, including shipping.

The IRS issue is just that - an IRS issue. IRS reporting isn't a voluntary exercise on the part of ebay (nor the banks, nor paypal). A sledgehammer to crack a nut - the nut being the folks who like the fire department to save their house or the schools to educate their kids, but don't fancy paying for either. We have a similar problem in the UK, but it hasn't been addressed yet.

If I sell to a shop, half of their expected selling price including taxes is about all I could realistically expect to walk away with. So for a 'mint' (hate that word) item, about 35-40% of current retail on a good day.

There is a scheme to lower the sales tax on secondhand goods in the UK, but if I don't use it (it's a hassle), I'm still finding it more cost effective to sell via ebay vs other platforms.

Gumtree = deadbeat buyers. ebid = no buyers. Amazon = higher cost. Carboot/garage sales = someone kindly kill me and end this misery.

Even if I advertise on a fee free platform at a 15% lower advertised price, it tends to sell more quickly on ebay at the higher price.

A numbers game unfortunately - which at first glance is a kick in the teeth for the private seller.

Anyone remember paying for newspaper ads? It was much much worse!

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
That, unfortunately is a painful fact of life with all selling platforms.

All of my business sales (new goods) include 20% sales tax (16.66% of gross), or VAT as it's known here. Ebay's fee is a percentage of the whole price paid, including shipping.

The IRS issue is just that - an IRS issue. IRS reporting isn't a voluntary exercise on the part of ebay (nor the banks, nor paypal). A sledgehammer to crack a nut - the nut being the folks who like the fire department to save their house or the schools to educate their kids, but don't fancy paying for either. We have a similar problem in the UK, but it hasn't been addressed yet.

If I sell to a shop, half of their expected selling price including taxes is about all I could realistically expect to walk away with. So for a 'mint' (hate that word) item, about 35-40% of current retail on a good day.

There is a scheme to lower the sales tax on secondhand goods in the UK, but if I don't use it (it's a hassle), I'm still finding it more cost effective to sell via ebay vs other platforms.

Gumtree = deadbeat buyers. ebid = no buyers. Amazon = higher cost. Carboot/garage sales = someone kindly kill me and end this misery.

Even if I advertise on a fee free platform at a 15% lower advertised price, it tends to sell more quickly on ebay at the higher price.

A numbers game unfortunately - which at first glance is a kick in the teeth for the private seller.

Anyone remember paying for newspaper ads? It was much much worse!
Hi Richard,
deadbeat Brian here. :laugh:

I've been buying used cameras and bits since the first lockdown and have used a variety of 'platforms.'

For serious purchases, I've always used recognised dealers (LCE, Ffordes etc) with good reputations and decent warranties.
I've not worried how much percentage of the new price the items have cost, and have basically compared prices between the various dealers to try and get a quality item rather than a bargain.

I'd never used eBay until the lockdown but have acquired some vintage items for what I considered a fair price, though I obviously didn't have to worry about any fees to eBay.

Regarding Gumtree, I've had a couple of reasonable purchases from them but I've been astonished at how unrealistic some of the sellers are, thinking their cameras and lenses are worth almost new price for old used items. If the item is what I'm looking for and at a realistic price, I'll take a chance.
But deadbeat, moi? :rolleyes:

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
Hi Richard,
deadbeat Brian here. :laugh:

I've been buying used cameras and bits since the first lockdown and have used a variety of 'platforms.'

For serious purchases, I've always used recognised dealers (LCE, Ffordes etc) with good reputations and decent warranties.
I've not worried how much percentage of the new price the items have cost, and have basically compared prices between the various dealers to try and get a quality item rather than a bargain.

I'd never used eBay until the lockdown but have acquired some vintage items for what I considered a fair price, though I obviously didn't have to worry about any fees to eBay.

Regarding Gumtree, I've had a couple of reasonable purchases from them but I've been astonished at how unrealistic some of the sellers are, thinking their cameras and lenses are worth almost new price for old used items. If the item is what I'm looking for and at a realistic price, I'll take a chance.
But deadbeat, moi? :rolleyes:
If you're one of these guys that says "I'll definitely be over on Sunday at 10am", and turns up on the Tuesday at 8pm - or worse, not at all, or the guy that turns up and offers 25% of the already low asking price because it is "for export to Africa" (I kid you not - and the second word I offered was "off") - then yes Brian, you are a deadbeat buyer.

TBH though, you don't seem the type.

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
There must be something wrong with me then. :rolleyes:

Living way out in the sticks, I always ask if the seller is willing to post and I pay by bank transfer.
A couple of times I've offered a tenner to have even a small item dispatched. :dash2:

Tili

Mu-43 Regular
Sold Panny 20mm f1.7 lens.
For me it's not great anymore. It was my first lens, but the focus speed ... it's just not workable trying to take pictures of fleeting moments (with a bit of background blur).

To quote myself, I sold E-M1 mark ii, once again. To be honest I didn't use it in the month or so that I had it.

the E-M1 Mark ii - I owned one before and used it as my out-and-about camera just hanging off my shoulder all weathersealed like. But I had to admit I'm not a pro photographer, nor am I aspiring to be, and my hands will not grow any larger. If it were a person you could say that we never clicked on an emotional level, so I sold it. :rolleyes-38: Few months later I found a really good used deal so I jumped on it, because I do love that large battery and grip, and I missed having an E-M1 around. But I still don't love fully articulating screens nor do I like LCD viewfinders. And since having a kid I have less time and room to roam around with a large camera. So I'm currently in the process of selling my second one. From now on, only small cameras for this daddy with small hands please. :wink: If it needs its own bag, it's too large.

I sold the last E-M1 mark I that I owned, too, to make room for it. But I don't miss it.

I also sold or rather sent back a nice GR III street edition that I tested for a couple of days. It's too expensive for what it is, when you can get a GR I with much nicer positive film simulation for a fraction.

ektar

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Don
Hah! I can finally post to this thread!

Well, it isn't that bad, really. I do sell some small items that I've scored here and there, but today I sold a beautiful LNIB Sigma 17-50/2.8 for the Pentax. I had wanted to "upgrade" the kit lens (sort of a fool's errand anyway), and had it to between the Sigma and a Pentax with a little more reach. Found the Sigma, and the day after it arrived I got pointed toward the Pentax at a stoopid price. Tested them and picked the Pentax.

So, that's my "sold" story.

As to delusional sellers: I saw a Pentax 1.4x AF teleconverter in admittedly beautiful shape on eBay, with an auction starting bid and a "best offer" feature. I reached out to see if there was a number he'd let it go for to avoid having to watch the auction. Well... his number was nearly $200 over original MSRP, nearly twice what they're currently seliing for new and nearly $400 more than a buy it now listing right below his. I sat there dumbfounded long enough to decide to not point any of that out.

Buy used, buy low. Some of the financial butt-kicking can be looked at as a "test shoot" fee.

Tili

Mu-43 Regular
Sold my X100V, Olympus 75mm f1.8, Panasonic 45-175, Panasonic 12-32.

Going to get a XT-3 + some primes.

The x100V is my dream camera, but not my dream focal length. Let's see where this gets us anyway...

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
Sold my second Godox TT685 to finance the V1. I am now an AA free zone.

RSC0429.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The tabletop lighting upgrade is now complete with a pair of AD200 Pro. I'll grow into them eventually.

Hoping that is all the hardware I'll want to buy for a while. There's lots of things that can be done with gels, bits of wire, flags, white foamcore to keep me busy over the winter.

Real Name
Per Thorup
Sold my Lumix 14-42X PZ. I have been at the bottom of my photobag for too long. I did'nt use it much - only on a couple of vacations. The images was too soft for my liking. I use my Panaleica 15mm instead.
230921_PTP_2055.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom