what photography related item did you buy this week?

Paul C

Mu-43 Veteran
2x Inexpensive lightweight "servo flashes"
NB - Now that we can't call them "slave" flases any more - what is the preferred term?

The whole point of M4/3 is the lower size and weight - so I am always looking for ways to help this along with accessories. Where I trek with my cameras every gram matters (and conversely - every gram saved means room for another lens to take along!).

For environmental portraits I often use a hot-shoe flash bounced off walls, ceilings or a "pop-up" reflector. However, often that leaves backgrounds unlit and heads lacking fill or rim lights. In a studio the answer is big light panels, reflectors or 3 point lighting ---- but on location?

So I just got two WOTAN SC18 "servo flashguns" from eBay for £10 GBP / $13.40 USD. There was very little info' on them on the www to be found using a Google-Search - so here is a quick review.

The good -

• Very small - size is 4.5 x 2.25 x 1.25 inches
  • weight for the pair and with 2xAA Energiser batteries in each = 362g, 13 oz
  • GN18
  • Have tripod screw bases to fix to gorilla pods etc to direct lighting
  • Have a sliding L-shaped base panel that acts as a clamp up to 1.5" wide to fit to doors, shelves etc
  • A sheet of black foam from the craft store and an elastic band creates near weightless light directors
  • White foam sheets act to diffuse the light
  • optical triggers work >5 metres indoors
Front view.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The Bad
  • These are film era devices - so don't do second flash triggers if you plan to use TTL flash exposure - but I use manually controlled flash anyway when using off-camera or multiple strobes.
  • Output is fixed at either GN 18 or auto exposure with 1x F-stop (F4 @100ASA, F8 at 400ASA) - so controlling light means optimising distance with the inverse-square law or using layers of craft-store white foam sheet and an elastic band as an output modifier.
  • 2xAA batteries means low weight compared with my clever vari-output strobes - but limits recycling times to 7-seconds with a new set of "Energiser" batteries.
Weight.jpg

In the film era I used to carry 2 strobes, and a clip-on a "servo-trigger" light cell for this role and used it a lot for flash pictures in such strange places as temples, rainforests and inside Egyptian tombs. The sight of these 2 items on eBay made me try again to see if I can shed the extra load of 2 of my 3 Yongnuo speedlights and wireless triggers (which IMHO are excellent)

Has anyone else been tempted by the current wave of small servo-stobes on sale from Asia - there are similar 2xAA pocket sided models with optical servo triggers such as the Andoer WS25; the design isn't as clever as the Wotan SC18s, but once agian, the aim is to shed size and weight without too great a sacrifice in functionality.

Has anyone else tried this approach to saving size and weight when travelling? Does anyone else have experience with a Wotan SC18 or similar mini-sized, lightweight "servo flash" device to share?

best wishes to you all - Paul C

===================================================
Is this todays new equivalent?

Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 11.49.19.png

Screenshot for the Andoer WS25 - advertised as "Andoer WS-25 Portable Mini Digital Slave Flash Speedlite Flash with Universal Hot Shoe GN18 " on the usual web-selling sites (NB - I have no link to this - but your experience, good or bad, might help me and others!)

Last edited:

mumu

Mu-43 All-Pro
2x Inexpensive lightweight "servo flashes"
NB - Now that we can't call them "slave" flases any more - what is the preferred term?
Transmitter / receiver works well enough for me. Or controller / remote?

Has anyone else been tempted by the current wave of small servo-stobes on sale from Asia - there are similar 2xAA pocket sided models with optical servo triggers such as the Andoer WS25; the design isn't as clever as the Wotan SC18s, but once agian, the aim is to shed size and weight without too great a sacrifice in functionality.

Has anyone else tried this approach to saving size and weight when travelling? Does anyone else have experience with a Wotan SC18 or similar mini-sized, lightweight "servo flash" device to share?
I'm too spoiled by radio controlled flash units to give them up. If multi flash units were really important enough for me to bring them traveling, I'd probably bring 2 or 3 Godox TT350's. But they're definitely heavier/bulkier than what you want.

Mountain_Man_79

Enjoying Cameraderie
Real Name
Chris
Lord help me...I swung by the closet at work again today and added to the collection...
91C54763-9F89-4A58-BEE4-14071E65C1FC.jpeg

Nikon Z6 with XQD card/reader, FTZ adapter, and 24-70 f/4 S lens. I’ll be loaning this one, and eventually bringing it back.

Then an Oly e-m10 with 14-42 and 40-150, and a bunch of batteries and extension grip. Also a Panasonic G7 with 14-42 and 42.5mm f1.7, and battery/charger. And a 128gb card for good measure. I was told not to bother bringing these back either, so welcome home!

Last edited:

grinsaround

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Glenn
Lord help me...I swung by the closet at work again today and added to the collection...
View attachment 919060
Nikon Z6 with XQD card/reader, FTZ adapter, and 24-70 f/4 S lens. I’ll be loaning this one, and eventually bringing it back.

Then an Oly e-m10 with 14-42 and 40-150, and a bunch of batteries and extension grip. Also a Panasonic G7 with 14-42 and 42.5mm f1.7, and battery/charger. And a 128gb card for hood measure. I was told not to bother bringing these back either, so welcome home!
Does this closet happen to have reindeer and small people with pointy shoes and hats in it? Was it really cold there?

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
View attachment 919060

Then an Oly e-m10 with 14-42 and 40-150, and a bunch of batteries and extension grip. Also a Panasonic G7 with 14-42 and 42.5mm f1.7, and battery/charger. And a 128gb card for hood measure. I was told not to bother bringing these back either, so welcome home!
You and your mythical photographer’s wardrobe.

Tread-Lite

Mu-43 Veteran
This is a repost of the original post here. If this is against the forums' rules please don't ban me - I have yet to read them.

I did some math and decided to keep my M43 gear, of which most was purchased used in "like new" condition for 50% or more off, and instead of paying for FF, I just splurged on Topaz Image Quality Bundle for $85 USD after 75% off (Black Friday and Petr Bambousek's discounts).
I have also purchased Petr's "Olympus for Wildlife" video tutorial for $35 USD after 50% off... and a couple of weeks ago I also purchased a mint PanaLeica 25 f1.4 for $320 CAD. I think I am ready for pretty much anything now.

If anyone is interested below are direct links to the products and a cool video on a LR+PS+TOPAZ workflow:
Topaz Image Quality Bundle (scroll to bottom)
Petr's blog post on Topaz with the discount code
Olympus Wildlife Tutorial
LR+PS+TOPAZ Workflow Tutorial

P. S. Topaz Denoise AI completely blew my socks off and although I have LR subscription I am not sure whether it will get the same level of NR in the foreseeable (1-2 years) future. Hence, the purchase.

As for PL 25 f1.4, it is a very good lens, however, I love my Oly 17 f1.8 and I am not sure if I need 25 mm. I will play with it for a couple of months to see if I benefit from the FL, if not I will sell it.

Real Name
Andrew L
This is a repost of the original post here. If this is against the forums' rules please don't ban me - I have yet to read them.

I did some math and decided to keep my M43 gear, of which most was purchased used in "like new" condition for 50% or more off, and instead of paying for FF, I just splurged on Topaz Image Quality Bundle for $85 USD after 75% off (Black Friday and Petr Bambousek's discounts).
I have also purchased Petr's "Olympus for Wildlife" video tutorial for $35 USD after 50% off... and a couple of weeks ago I also purchased a mint PanaLeica 25 f1.4 for $320 CAD. I think I am ready for pretty much anything now.

If anyone is interested below are direct links to the products and a cool video on a LR+PS+TOPAZ workflow:
Topaz Image Quality Bundle (scroll to bottom)
Petr's blog post on Topaz with the discount code
Olympus Wildlife Tutorial
LR+PS+TOPAZ Workflow Tutorial

P. S. Topaz Denoise AI completely blew my socks off and although I have LR subscription I am not sure whether it will get the same level of NR in the foreseeable (1-2 years) future. Hence, the purchase.

As for PL 25 f1.4, it is a very good lens, however, I love my Oly 17 f1.8 and I am not sure if I need 25 mm. I will play with it for a couple of months to see if I benefit from the FL, if not I will sell it.
If repeatedly ruminating over gear is against the rules, then lock us all up!

Interested to hear how you get along with the 25/1.4 after some use. I've given it some thought as well here and there. Would be nice to have the added subject separation.

Mack

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Ordered a $30 m43 lens to Nikon Z adapter: https://www.ebay.com/itm/254356726734

My Voigtlander 29mm f/0.8 Noct lens should work on the Nikon Z7 II with the adapter given it is full manual operation lens. The image circle may be smaller and I might be able to put a size constraint on the image in the camera's menu (To a DXC size, square, maybe m43, etc.). That will make it an even faster Noct lens than the $7,500 Nikon Z 58mm f/0.95 Noct lens, but just smaller, yet brighter, image circle.

My Laowa 7.5mm f/2 is another manual lens that might work.

Last edited:

richjac

New to Mu-43
new E-M5 mkiii with 12-45 Pro lens. I keep trying to come up with reasons to return it and buy a Fuji X-S10 or Nikon Z5, but I really like the size of the EM5 and that lens! I had a Z5 with 24-200 previously and sold it… a bargain at today’s price, but too big for me to want to lug around. so I am returning to m4/3 after 5 years with various Fuji and Nikon kits. My last sojourn with m4/3 was a vacation and safari with a GX8 and GM5. I thought I needed better low light performance. maybe so, but wish I had kept the GM5 and the 15/1.7!

Saledolce

Mu-43 All-Pro
Datacolor SpyderX pro, it's always on discount around black friday , this time decided to check if I get anything decent form it

Roboticspro

Shepherding photons since the 50's
Good Evening,

I bit the bullet and bought the entire DxO software catalog at 50% off as has been advertised. Just got them loaded onto my imaging computer and I am really impressed. I have Adobe CC so these will play nice when I need to include them in the workflow. Very impressed with the DeepPrime noise reduction which really helped on a couple of gymnastics photos that I had to bump up to ISO 12800 to get a high enough shutter speed.

Regards,

Edd

Last edited:

Shiny

Mu-43 Regular
Bit of a splurge for me at the moment. The back story is I recently traded in all my fuji kit for Olympus and pretty much broke even but knew I would need some extra kit that wasn't in the budget. So far I have brought a new Godox flash trigger so all my old flashes would work off camera. A few step up rings so my old filter system can be used with the new lenses. I am also buying in black friday (its payday tomorrow) DXO photolab (I have been trialing it for a week and its amazing even without the noise reduction) and Film pack, along with Fast Raw Viewer. I know I have on camera flash to get yet as well but I will worry about that when I need it.

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
I have received a Pentax Auto Bellows M, Slide Copy Attachment, Double Cable Release, ruler and one spare.........and a mint condition K mount SMC Pentax bellows lens 100mm f4. All for very little money (less than $80 delivered).

There is an issue with the lens release lever on the bellows, but if I have to, I'll get another for parts. The previous owner tried to resolve it with grease (it didn't work) - all it did was stick the body cap to the mount. I'll strip it later and try to fix it rather than risk jamming the lens on the mount.

Anyone know what type of lubricants I should be smearing on lens mounts?

EDIT: Consensus on a couple of Leica forums is 'none whatsover' (I figure retired dentists are probably experienced with complicated stuff like miniature drills). Cleaned mounts and lens release pin with acetone on a cotton bud, applied 'nose' grease to mating surfaces and we are good to go :)

Much prefer the Pentax bellows to the Olympus set I received on Monday. It's more in keeping with the whole MFT size thing, has a larger foot, has more readily available adapters at the lens end and just feels better made. The Olympus ones, nice as they are, will probably go back on ebay.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom