what photography related item did you buy this week?

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
OMG, I actually did it...I bought a lens for a camera I don't own!!! :eek-31: :daz:

KEH is extending warranties to 1 full year now through Dec 31st. I'd been keeping an eye out for a good used Sony 24-240 but didn't want to buy too early in case the A7 IV is delayed. With a year to worry about it, no problem. $604 in EC with caps and hood, shipped.

Last edited:

mumu

Mu-43 All-Pro
I definitely hear you about the "perfect camera bag". I think I've come to the conclusion that the "perfect" bag doesn't exist, but I've recently settled on a collection of "good enough" bags based on what I'm carrying and the purpose of the outing.
I've come to a similar arrangement. I have 3 bags I use based on requirements and have given up on the non-sensical idea of an uber bag for all occasions.

By the way, the Laowa is a great little lens, but I'm not sure it would see it as a replacement for the 8–18.
Whenever I plan for a trip I am reminded of how important compact size is to me. All my crucial gear (cameras, lenses, action cams, laptop and chargers etc) has to fit under the airplane seat. I had a nice, compact lens kit with the 15/1.7, 9-18, 12-35/2.8 and 35-100/2.8. But I got fed up with the 9-18 and replaced it with the 8-18 which, in terms of image quality, is everything I hoped for. But its size has been a cause for concern. And I use super wide focal lengths fairly infrequently so I would feel that it's a bit of an extravagance to get the 7.5 AND keep the 8-18. I suppose if I happen to find a used 7.5 locally then that'll be ok. But right now, at CAD700-ish for a new Laowa, I'm unlikely to make that purchase w/o selling the 8-18. The fact that I upgraded my G85 to a G9 is also part of the additional bulk situation.

That reminds me, I bought the G9 in preparation for our Japan trip which was scheduled just as the pandemic lockdowns happened, so that trip was canceled and I've never flown with my current m43 kit yet. So this Hawaii trip will be the real test of whether I think the kit is too big/heavy or not.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
Whenever I plan for a trip I am reminded of how important compact size is to me. All my crucial gear (cameras, lenses, action cams, laptop and chargers etc) has to fit under the airplane seat. I had a nice, compact lens kit with the 15/1.7, 9-18, 12-35/2.8 and 35-100/2.8. But I got fed up with the 9-18 and replaced it with the 8-18 which, in terms of image quality, is everything I hoped for. But its size has been a cause for concern. And I use super wide focal lengths fairly infrequently so I would feel that it's a bit of an extravagance to get the 7.5 AND keep the 8-18. I suppose if I happen to find a used 7.5 locally then that'll be ok. But right now, at CAD700-ish for a new Laowa, I'm unlikely to make that purchase w/o selling the 8-18. The fact that I upgraded my G85 to a G9 is also part of the additional bulk situation.
I definitely hear you about size. Nothing makes you appreciate small gear as much as not having room for your feet on a 5 hour flight because your camera bag is too hefty.

- K

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
I went from not getting anything for a while to complete insanity. I finally bit on the E-M5.3+12-45 Pro kit that's been tempting me, then bought the 75-300ii from @Mountain_Man_79 and a 9-18 from @Holoholo55. I would say "go big or stay home," but I think in this case it's more like "go small and get out." I know I've been down this road before, but I've been feeling the urge to shrink the size of my kit. The Mrs has some health matters going on, so I'm often the pack mule if/when we go out. I'm not going to give up the craft if I can help it, and I can take a bad shot with any kit.

jederick

Mu-43 All-Pro
I got impatient waiting for my GM5 to be returned from repair and spotted one at auction. Put in a semi-lowball offer that to my mild surprise was accepted. It showed up today with a few spare batteries and a couple of A/C chargers that weren't mentioned in the ad. The seller even threw in a Fujian 35mm c-mount lens and adapter.

So now, whenever my wayward camera returns I'll have to decide whether to re-sell one of them or keep a spare.

Now I "need" a PL15 to go with it. ;) Anyone happen to have one lying around that they don't need?

- K
I have one (Black) in excellent condition if you are interested...was thinking of putting it on the Buy & Sell board. Let me know if you are interested...thanks.

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
I went from not getting anything for a while to complete insanity. I finally bit on the E-M5.3+12-45 Pro kit that's been tempting me, then bought the 75-300ii from @Mountain_Man_79 and a 9-18 from @Holoholo55. I would say "go big or stay home," but I think in this case it's more like "go small and get out." I know I've been down this road before, but I've been feeling the urge to shrink the size of my kit. The Mrs has some health matters going on, so I'm often the pack mule if/when we go out. I'm not going to give up the craft if I can help it, and I can take a bad shot with any kit.
Aw, c'mon. You don't need to justify it to us, of all people!

Just don't sell the G9 again!

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
I just did a little field trip with the family to the local aquarium. This is a terrible...er...low light environment, so I took the 25mm 1.4, and the 9mm BCL for funsies. I forgot how much fun it is to travel so light.
PB190022.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
PB190047.jpeg
PB190060.jpeg

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Aw, c'mon. You don't need to justify it to us, of all people!

Just don't sell the G9 again!
Yeah, I have some decisions to make. I’m currently wondering if I should just stick with the G9 but build up some lighter lenses for certain instances, where I don’t want to lug the PL glass. While the G9 is on the heavier side, it’s not really light feeling when I have the smaller lenses on it (plus I’m really comfortable using it at this point). For example, the 75-300ii weighs practically nothing, especially when compared to the PL100-400, and it would be enough when I take the kids to the park and a raptor starts circling the skies. I probably could have had a similar experience at the aquarium by taking the G9 and the 25mm and 9mm.

One thing I noticed is that the rear dial (which is shutter speed for me) on the G9 is much more accessible than the EM5, where I can turn it without really causing the camera to wobble. It’s a bit harder on the EM5, not only because it is lighter, but the dial is stiffer and more tucked away. It might be that the EM5 goes back, but the 75-300 and 9-18 are here to stay. I also wonder if the 12-45 would be a better companion than the 12-60. It’s a bit more compact, and while it doesn’t go down to f/2.8, the fixed f/4 can make things easier for an mixed-purpose lens. It’s even curious how it zooms in the “traditional” direction versus the other Pro‘s, and it lacks the focus clutch. I wonder if that’s the new direction for OMD lenses.

hernan

Mu-43 Veteran
TTartisan 35 f1.4, Oly 9 body cap (second time :whistling:) and BLS 5...........30 macro Oly last week

Last edited:

JensM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
As screename
This weeks haul was a small camera bundle, consisting of a GF1 with the LVF-1 viewfinder, a GF5, a Lumix 14-42 of sorts and a Lumix FL-220 flash. Chargers and a couple of small Lowepro bags for both of the houses, an Adventura SH100 II and a Off-trail 1, as well as a Lumix leather ready pouch for the GF1.

GF5 shuttercount was at 3189 and the GF1has 6689 actuations. All in, with signed for postage at about $110.

Was somewhat keen on another GF1, and had no ideas about the GF5, but was intrigued when it came, its a puny one. The Off-trail is somewhat nice, an early modular waist bag, with two dismounting lens pocket and a main "body pouch", that I will try with the G9 and a little assortment of lenses. All in all, rather happy with the purchase. The 14-42 will most likely be off-loaded.

Last edited:

Roboticspro

Shepherding photons since the 50's
Good Afternoon,

I picked up a couple of Canon FS4000 film scanners (one NOS, the other lightly used) and have them running on Vuescan through an Adaptec SCSI card. Just posted some scans from them on the "My full-frame is film" thread...

Regards,

Edd

Last edited:

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
An Olympus bellows unit and slide copier to go with the Pentax bellows and lens I bought on Saturday.

Hedging my bets - I bough both sets cheap enough to flip the least desirable unit. If I end up keeping a bellows unit only, it should work out free.

Latest threads

Top Bottom