what photography related item did you buy this week?

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
New white PVC tabletop background and a couple of empty sandbags to secure my lighting stands.

I've reorganised my stockroom to make space for a semi-permanent photo table.
I've got plenty of sand I could let you have for free Richard.
Postage might be a bit high though. ;)

algold

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alex
Just received a PD pro pad for a capture clip:
E229CB20-DF68-4B46-9DAF-2D4585DE477A.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Aviator

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Arturo
Since I've been selling all my Fujifilm gear (I'm almost done with it), I decided to pull the trigger on this beauty, I always wanted to own this camera, but I was never able to justify it without selling other gear.

I found it on ebay with a low shutter count and in mint condition for 645 USD, it included the FL-LM3 flash and the Olympus 40-150/4-5.6, it was a no brainer.

I purchased a little wood grip that resembles the JB Camera Designs grip that I have on my EM-5 II. I already paired it with my 17/1.8 lens and voila! Beautiful!

20210819_135744-01.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
Since I've been selling all my Fujifilm gear (I'm almost done with it), I decided to pull the trigger on this beauty, I always wanted to own this camera, but I was never able to justify it without selling other gear.

I found it on ebay with a low shutter count and in mint condition for 645 USD, it included the FL-LM3 flash and the Olympus 40-150/4-5.6, it was a no brainer.

I purchased a little wood grip that resembles the JB Camera Designs grip that I have on my EM-5 II. I already paired it with my 17/1.8 lens and voila! Beautiful!

View attachment 903963
Wow, that was indeed a fantastic value. And the PEN F is such a wonderful camera, especially paired with the O17 f/1.8. I debated a grip like yours, but ended up choosing one with an Arca-compatible baseplate and a wooden grip. The grip definitely improves my experience with the camera.

Might I ask why you've chosen to move on from the Fuji system?

- K

BruceRH

Mu-43 Top Veteran

View attachment 903963
It‘s a wonderful camera, especially with the 17/1.8 or 12/2. Enjoy! I use a Gariz half case for mine.

sbm

Sam
Real Name
Sam
I picked up another G9 body (I sometimes shoot with two and I like to have a backup). It came with a couple batteries and an RSS L-bracket, which I didn't really want, but the price was good.

So, I'll be trying to sell my GX85 soon (the one that got me into things to begin with). If anyone has any advice about selling it (and some lenses), I'd appreciate it, as I've really only acquired gear so far.

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
As I couldn't find a nice Pen F for sale at a decent price, I've ordered an E-PM2 (curse that @John King).
Boxed, complete with 14-42mm lens, charger, flash, strap, two batteries, case, only 400+ shots. :whistling:

LilSebastian

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
John
Made it 2+ years since my last camera body purchase, but hard to pass up a clean Tough TG-4 from @dlafon

With kids learning to swim, it is the perfect way to capture the summer fun at the pool.

Aviator

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Arturo
Wow, that was indeed a fantastic value. And the PEN F is such a wonderful camera, especially paired with the O17 f/1.8. I debated a grip like yours, but ended up choosing one with an Arca-compatible baseplate and a wooden grip. The grip definitely improves my experience with the camera.

Might I ask why you've chosen to move on from the Fuji system?

- K

Sure! Until not long ago, I owned the Fujifilm X-Pro1, X-T1 and X-T3 along the following lenses: 10-24/4, 16-55/2.8, 50-140/2.8, 35/1.4, 23/1.4, 16/2.8 and a Kamlan 50/1.1 Mk II.

I ran indistinctly both my Fuji and my M4/3 gear for my personal photography, everything was fine until one day I got exactly the opposite of a GAS attack! One day I started to think that I owned way too much gear and that I wanted to simplify, less is more right? As much as I tried to discard this idea, I could not. I always came to the following conclusion: "When I purchased my first camera yeas ago and I could only afford 2 or 3 vintage lenses at most I dedicated my time to photograph more and to think less about expensive gear, the problem was, that I was doing exactly the opposite! Way to much cameras and lenses and less and less actual photography", that was it. I knew that I had to simplify and reduce the size of my kit. The question was what am I going to sell? Am I going to keep my Fujifilm system or my Micro Four Thirds system?

The first reason that tilted the balance in favour of Micro 4/3 had to do with lenses. I had "equivalent" lenses for both systems, and while Fuji lenses are excellent I don't think they are any better than my Olympus and Panasonic Leica counterparts. Seriously, Micro 4/3 lenses are the best I have used. Why keep the 16-55/2.8 which is massive if I also have the 12-40/2.8 PRO that gives me exactly the same, or maybe even better results in a much smaller form factor. Why keep the wonderful 35/1.4 (this lens was definitely my favorite in the Fuji world, optically it is a beautiful lens) if I have the Panasonic Leica 25/1.4 which focuses many times faster and quieter than the good old 35/1.4 and can give me the same wonderful results?

The second reason had to do with image quality. Was Fujifim image quality at ISOs like 3200 or 6400 better than M4/3? Sure it was. Did it matter to me? No. I rarely have to shot anything above ISO 1600, and if I have to we now have a great program called Dxo Photolab 4 which has something called DeepPrime for noise reduction which simply does wonders. One of the weaknesses in Micro 4/3 can effectively be solved with extremely good results.

The third and final reason had to do with the camera bodies. Fuji is now offering IBIS but none of my cameras had IBIS and I didn't want to spend more money on the newer models when I have the best IBIS in the industry with Olympus. High resolution mode on a Fuji? Not a thing, same with Live Composite. Being fair I have to say that my X-T3 had lots of wonderful video features that none of my Olympus cameras have, but since I don't do video they were not useful to me.

Fujifilm film simulations and highly praised jpeg recipes were something that got my eye very early when I decided that I wanted to try the Fuji X system, in reality they never worked for me. As much as I wanted to find a recipe that made me stop shooting raw or at least consider shooting jpeg more frequently I couldn't. Being fair again, the highly praised Fujifilm colours are indeed beautiful, I really like to work with a camera that gives me a good starting point on my raw developer and Fuji accomplishes that. The thing is that Olympus colours have always ticked the box on that regard as well.

Autofocus was something that let me down a little bit during the time I used the Fuji X cameras. In theory the AF on the X-T3 is supposed to be excellent, my experience was a mixed bag. It always gave me focus confirmation instantly, even with lenses like the older F1.4 lenses, but a lot of times the picture was not in focus. Why? I don't know, but it frustrated me very often. One day I watched a video on youtube called "Mis problemas de enfoque con la X-T3 y X-T4" that described exactly my issue, (the video is in Spanish, but it has English captions). Ironically, older bodies like the X-Pro1 combined with older lenses, while very slow and noisy by today standards were always accurate. On the other hand, I never had any issues regarding AF with an Olympus or Panasonic camera, even with cameras like the EM-5 II that are based on contrast detect AF. Jeeze! That camera has always been fast and accurate. Note here: I don't use C-AF, only S-AF. I understand that if you try to use C-AF with bodies like the EM-5 II it is basically useless.

As a final statement to my answer, since I first tried a Micro 4/3 camera, cameras like the Sony A7R, Canon 60D, Canon 5D Classic and a Canon 6D (and even some of my vintage lenses!) have found their way to a new home, now the Fujis are following the same path. When I joined this forum in April 2019 little I did know that what started as simply curiosity for a modern Olympus camera, was going to change my photography forever! If at that time someone had told me that I was going to sell my Full Frame cameras in favour of Micro 4/3 with "their little, noisy, can't produce bokeh, and many other non-sense sensor" (haha), I would not have believe it.

I'm not saying here that Micro 4/3 is perfect, or that other camera systems are not valid. I have owned and used other brands, but this system convinced me that while technically and on paper it is not the greatest in pure image quality, megapixel count and other specs, it is the system that works the best for me. I can take my sealed cameras and lenses virtually everywhere and if I don't need weather sealing I can also grab a small camera like the EM-5 II or now the Pen F with a small F1.8 prime without any hassle, in both cases I can always trust my gear and I'm sure that I'm not going to be disappointed.

Being completely honest, when Olympus decided to sell its camera division I felt disappointed, and that was one of the reasons that pushed me to try the Fujifilm world... But after some time and considering everything that I wrote before, it could not replace my Micro 4/3 gear... and that is how almost all my Fuji gear is gone.

Last edited:

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...
As I couldn't find a nice Pen F for sale at a decent price, I've ordered an E-PM2 (curse that @John King).
Boxed, complete with 14-42mm lens, charger, flash, strap, two batteries, case, only 400+ shots. :whistling:
Congratulations mate.
Which 14-42 lens, Brian?
If it's the 14-42 EZ, get a JJC auto-opening cap for it.

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
Congratulations mate.
Which 14-42 lens, Brian?
If it's the 14-42 EZ, get a JJC auto-opening cap for it.
I'm sure it's the earlier version John (the advert disappeared as soon as I ordered it).
I'm not too bothered about the lens as I am hoping to use the body with my 17mm f1.8 lens, which seems to be languishing in the cupboard.

I've already got the 14-42 EZ on my E-M10 mk3 and it is fitted with the JJC auto-cap. :thumbup:

To the other responders, I know damn well the the E-PM2 and Pen F are totally different cameras.
The Pen F is the most gorgeous creature but given what else I've got, I can't justify having one..................yet ;) .

One of the reasons I'm reluctant to try the Pen F is the position of the viewfinder in relation to the screen.
I had a GX80 and hated it as my nose got too squashed. :rolleyes:
Although I said I would never buy another camera without a viewfinder, at least with the E-PM2 my nose will be free to protrude. :D

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
Sure! Until not long ago, I owned the Fujifilm X-Pro1, X-T1 and X-T3 along the following lenses: 10-24/4, 16-55/2.8, 50-140/2.8, 35/1.4, 23/1.4, 16/2.8 and a Kamlan 50/1.1 Mk II.

Being completely honest, when Olympus decided to sell its camera division I felt disappointed, and that was one of the reasons that pushed me to try the Fujifilm world... But after some time and considering everything that I wrote before, it could not replace my Micro 4/3 gear... and that is how almost all my Fuji gear is gone.
Thanks for the exceptionally detailed and thoughtful response. The reason I asked is that I've just started exploring the Fuji X system. Many of the points you make answer questions I've considered, but several of them raise points I hadn't thought of.

I've been in the m43 camp almost since it came to be. I haven't used any other ILCs, but have always been a bit curious of the other systems, particularly Fuji. I've also been spoiled by Olympus's amazing IBIS implementation, so it wasn't until Fuji introduced IBIS in some of their models that I was really interested. Recently the prices of the first Fuji model with IBIS, the X-H1, have come down to a price range I feel comfortable with and I picked one up.

So far, I really like the camera, but I have no intention of it fully replacing my m43 kit. My plan is to try it for a while to see what advantages and disadvantages I see for myself between the two systems. Perhaps I'll find I want to keep a foot in both camps, or maybe I'll end up choosing one over the other.

Anyway, I'd really like to contract a case of that anti-GAS you've got. Any tips on how to achieve that?

- K

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
One of the reasons I'm reluctant to try the Pen F is the position of the viewfinder in relation to the screen.
I had a GX80 and hated it as my nose got too squashed. :rolleyes:
Although I said I would never buy another camera without a viewfinder, at least with the E-PM2 my nose will be free to protrude. :D
You must be left-eye dominant?

- K

Latest threads

Top Bottom