what photography related item did you buy this week?

ektar

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
This is a public service message:

It is recommended by financial advisors, marriage counselors, forum authorities, and maybe even public health officials that you not-
  • Listen to
  • Seek counsel from
  • Correspond with
  • Seek to emulate
  • or consult Google after reading the posts of
@Erich_H

The impacts of ignoring this advice could be dire, leading to multiple acquisitions, exploration of other camera systems, financial ruin, and domestic strife.

To wit:

Konica40A.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Entirely his fault.

You have been warned.

mcrosa

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mike Crosa
I like the Kodochrome myself. Like you used to do a lot of slides. I'm dating myself but I shot a ton with the Argus C-3 when I was in the military.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith

It is recommended by financial advisors, marriage counselors, forum authorities, and maybe even public health officials that you not-
  • Listen to
  • Seek counsel from
  • Correspond with
  • Seek to emulate
@Erich_H

The impacts of ignoring this advice could be dire, leading to multiple acquisitions, exploration of other camera systems, financial ruin, and domestic strife.

To wit:

View attachment 900889

Entirely his fault.

You have been warned.
One of my favorite native lenses. And one that's still reasonably small with the adapter.

- K

Mountain_Man_79

Enjoying Cameraderie
Real Name
Chris

• Listen to
  • Seek counsel from
  • Correspond with
  • Seek to emulate
@Erich_H

To wit:

View attachment 900889

Entirely his fault.

You have been warned.
All true. He’s also been determined to be a witch and an internet bully. However, I really want to see the results you get with that lens!

Mack

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Sold off my old Nikon "Holy Trinity" F-mount zoom lenses and replaced the set with their newer S-mount lenses. Old ones brought me about a third the price of them new a decade or so ago with KEH.

Holy-Trinity-Z-Lenses.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Off to calibrate the AF fine tune on the critters.

richardp

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Richard
I had a look on their website (www.peleng8.com) and was amazed to see these gadgets had been around since 2005! But afaik not discussed here before.
Anybody besides @Bytesmiths using them?
At £16 or so I may have to try one.
I got one of these Peleng chips a few weeks ago, still trying to get it fully working! The camera can read the data in the chip but it won't let me enter a lens name. In fact the only data the chip will let me write is the aperture value.

Since the camera already knows the shutter speed and ISO, the aperture is the main exif data you're lacking with a legacy lens. So I suppose, now that I can add that, I'm better off than I was.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I've had no meaningful support from the vendor despite several emails, so I'm pretty stuck.

cjoliprsf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Claude
I got one of these Peleng chips a few weeks ago, still trying to get it fully working! The camera can read the data in the chip but it won't let me enter a lens name. In fact the only data the chip will let me write is the aperture value.

Since the camera already knows the shutter speed and ISO, the aperture is the main exif data you're lacking with a legacy lens. So I suppose, now that I can add that, I'm better off than I was.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I've had no meaningful support from the vendor despite several emails, so I'm pretty stuck.

Are you able to program the focal length?
That is also very useful/necessary to have the IBIS work properly.

richardp

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Richard
Are you able to program the focal length?
That is also very useful/necessary to have the IBIS work properly.
You're right and no I can't program focal length. It's stuck at 50mm.
Instructions aren't the greatest so I'll keep trying various tweaks.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
Thanks for the update, @richardp. Like you, I was unaware of the existence of these until seeing @Bytesmiths' earlier post. They seem like they could be really useful, but I was wondering about the programming interface/ process.

Please keep us in the loop with your progress. If they work, I'll have to grab a couple.

- K

richardp

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Richard
Thanks for the update, @richardp. Like you, I was unaware of the existence of these until seeing @Bytesmiths' earlier post. They seem like they could be really useful, but I was wondering about the programming interface/ process.

Please keep us in the loop with your progress. If they work, I'll have to grab a couple.

- K
Hi,
If you want to know about programming before purchase, go to www.peleng8.com. The second item on the Main Menu is a link to "AF confirm chip articles". There you will find instructions on how to fit the chip followed by downloadable instructions for programming. I warn you that it is very clunky.

Clearly Bytesmiths has used these successfully so they do work. Maybe mine is faulty, maybe I've done something wrong, I'll keep trying!

Bytesmiths

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jan Steinman
Clearly Bytesmiths has used these successfully
Assuming facts not in evidence!

I got one and botched the gluing process by a bit. I can twist the adapter slightly and the display changes, but I can't really program it while twisting. So like a fool, I ordered more, to give it a second shot.

richardp

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Richard
Hi Bytesmiths,

So you have one fully working now?

I sent you a pm a few days ago, maybe you didn't get it. I'd appreciate it if we can have a pm conversation.

cjoliprsf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Claude
You're right and no I can't program focal length. It's stuck at 50mm.
Instructions aren't the greatest so I'll keep trying various tweaks.
For my part I have a couple of programmable chips, but for Canon mount. I have been able to program focal length, max aperture and focus confirm adjustment. I agree (as mentioned in another post) it is a somewhat clunky process. These chips were not from Peleng but came from another vendor, already installed on an adaptor (so I didn't need to mess-up with glue...)
Each of these chips will have its own sequence of shots for entereing the program mode, followed by some other sequence for setting the program.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
Just bought a second E-M1 w/ battery & charger along with...
  • Oly 45mm f/1.8
  • Oly 25mm f/1.8
  • Sigma 16mm f/1.4
  • Oly 40-150 (the plastic fantastic)
  • no-name Chinese 55mm f/1.2
...all for US$700 (+ PP fees).

Unfortunately, minutes after I sent payment I received a PM from the seller to tell me he'd received payment from someone who had contacted him previously just before my payment came thru.

He promptly refunded my payment And the refund is reflected by PP. The seller has good feedback (this was on FM), but I'm still wondering if this was some sort of odd scam. Probably not, though.

Insert something here about early birds and worms, I guess. Is there a "what did you almost
buy this week" thread?

- K

Real Name
Andrew L
Just bought a second E-M1 w/ battery & charger along with...
  • Oly 45mm f/1.8
  • Oly 25mm f/1.8
  • Sigma 16mm f/1.4
  • Oly 40-150 (the plastic fantastic)
  • no-name Chinese 55mm f/1.2
...all for US$700 (+ PP fees).

Unfortunately, minutes after I sent payment I received a PM from the seller to tell me he'd received payment from someone who had contacted him previously just before my payment came thru.

He promptly refunded my payment And the refund is reflected by PP. The seller has good feedback (this was on FM), but I'm still wondering if this was some sort of odd scam. Probably not, though.

Insert something here about early birds and worms, I guess. Is there a "what did you almost
buy this week" thread?

- K
Well, shoot. Sounded like a great kit!

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
Well, shoot. Sounded like a great kit!
I'm not really chuffed about it. I didn't need any of that gear.

I'd seen this a day or two back at $800 and passed. When he dropped the price by a hundo I started doing that math of, "well I could sell each of these pieces individually really quick and still come out ahead."

What's odd is that I don't own any of these lenses, so it would've been a cheap opportunity to try some new options. But que sera sera.

- K

Latest threads

Top Bottom