what photography related item did you buy this week?

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
A used Oly 60mm macro popped up suddenly on Carmarthen Cameras’ site here in the UK and I resisted for all of five minutes. I’m now shopping around for the rest of the kit and software needed to start digitising all the old 35mm and 120 negs. One purchase leads to another….
Snap!

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
Wait..what?! Have we both bought the same lens? ? Be interesting to see who gets it.
No, I've already bought mine, but did see yours advertised.
I've got the same aims as you regarding digitising recently discovered slides and negatives.
I spent most of the early spring trying to come up with some solutions and constructed a light-box (of sorts) and got a boom arm with connectors to fasten to my tripod. Just haven't got round to actual copying yet and imagine it will now be next winter's project. :rolleyes:

The 60mm lens takes some great images, once you've learnt a few of its foibles regarding the focus switch, though I'm now considering using my old OM system 50mm f3.5 macro for the actual copying.

Good luck. :thumbup:

Macroramphosis

Jack of Spades and an unfeasibly large wheelbarrow
Real Name
Roddy
I've just bought an EF40mm f2.8 for my daughter's BD. She's had a 100D for several years and has patiently used the kit zoom since then, but she's a graphic designer and I thought a small prime might well change her photographic life. She has a brilliant eye and takes some stunning photos, but I think she needs to get more photo gear as far as I'm concerned. I'm hoping the 40mm will make her carry her little Canon about a lot more.

Glevum Owl

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mark
No, I've already bought mine, but did see yours advertised.
I've got the same aims as you regarding digitising recently discovered slides and negatives.
I spent most of the early spring trying to come up with some solutions and constructed a light-box (of sorts) and got a boom arm with connectors to fasten to my tripod. Just haven't got round to actual copying yet and imagine it will now be next winter's project. :rolleyes:

The 60mm lens takes some great images, once you've learnt a few of its foibles regarding the focus switch, though I'm now considering using my old OM system 50mm f3.5 macro for the actual copying.

Good luck. :thumbup:
Thanks. That’s a relief and I’ve now received the dispatch email too. However I lack the inclination and your skills and so….

Today’s purchase = Andrew Clifforth’s Essential Film Holder.
Rather a long lead time on this due to ‘pandemic ordering’ but it ticks all the boxes for me as, in addition to my 45 year’s worth of 35mm negs, I have a lot of my father’s old 120 negs to scan. Now to sort out a light source.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
On1 noise reduction (won't be out until last part of June, pre-ordered).

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
I've just bought an EF40mm f2.8 for my daughter's BD. She's had a 100D for several years and has patiently used the kit zoom since then, but she's a graphic designer and I thought a small prime might well change her photographic life. She has a brilliant eye and takes some stunning photos, but I think she needs to get more photo gear as far as I'm concerned. I'm hoping the 40mm will make her carry her little Canon about a lot more.
And no doubt a few Canon to m4/3 adaptors will follow. :whistling:

Shortsonfire79

Mu-43 Veteran
The 30mm macro is a very nice lens, even more so for what they sell for. I picked up a used one to use for converting a bunch of old slides to digital. It worked perfectly for that.
A huge thank you! Although I hypothetically knew that, it wasn't actually part of my reason for purchasing it. But I have a zillion slides to digitize and have tried with a different set of gear and found it very fiddly and tedious, so should try with this set-up.
A used Oly 60mm macro popped up suddenly on Carmarthen Cameras’ site here in the UK and I resisted for all of five minutes. I’m now shopping around for the rest of the kit and software needed to start digitising all the old 35mm and 120 negs. One purchase leads to another….
Moving a bit off topic here, but the 60mm macro + tripod/light table/2x piece of anti-newton-ring glass is great for negatives and positives in 135/120. If you have it, sensor shift for 80mp 120 scans has proven better than multi-image stitching for 6x4.5. Will be doing my first 6x9 in a couple of days [probably stitch 2x 80mp scan] so will post an update if anyone is interested.
PXL_20201211_025259269.jpg

Macroramphosis

Real Name
Roddy
And no doubt a few Canon to m4/3 adaptors will follow. :whistling:
That’s an interesting thought, one which hadn’t occurred to me but which perhaps might be worth trying. The 40mm is a very small lens, but I’m not sure how big it would be on a Panasonic GX8 with an adapter. Is there anyone out there that has tried the EF 40mm on a Panasonic or Olympus camera?

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
Bit a bunch of bullets on the rebound from the dead IBIS on my E-PL2...

First: the Kodak Ektanon enlarging lens in M42 mount. Put it on a bellows, and it will focus to eternity. Also gives good macro.

Kodak Ektanon #1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Kodak Ektanon #2.jpg

Kodak Ektanon #3.jpg

Then I couldn't resist these. At a very reasonable price...

A Bunch of Projector Lenses.jpg

Not one of these will ever have any OIS malfunction!

Last edited:

cjoliprsf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Claude
That’s an interesting thought, one which hadn’t occurred to me but which perhaps might be worth trying. The 40mm is a very small lens, but I’m not sure how big it would be on a Panasonic GX8 with an adapter. Is there anyone out there that has tried the EF 40mm on a Panasonic or Olympus camera?
See this thread - you'll see a pic of the 40mm (as well as many others) on my GX85 (not so different from your GX8).
It does work fine.
https://www.mu-43.com/threads/generic-canon-ef-mount-adaptor.109864/

ektar

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
@Erich_H - Are those all projection lenses?

As for me, I didn't need it a bit more than nothing, but...that hasn't stopped me in the rememberable past, so... Since I sought and found an E-1 to bring an Olympus CCD back into the fold, and since my original "long" lens for the E-1 was the Mk1 40-150, when I spotted one in "new old stock condition, I couldn't resist (I just didn't take a picture of the hood. It was still in the original blue plastic wrap.

IMG_3268.jpg

IMG_3269.jpg

IMG_3270.jpg

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
@Erich_H - Are those all projection lenses?
Yes.

Except for the Kodak enlarging lens on top. The Kodak I've got already. Just tested it a little bit. Lots of leaves in that. 15, i think. Beautiful heavy metal lens.

The ten at the bottom I'm still waiting for.
They've set me back a cool $36 (inc. shipping). And no leaves. Guaranteed.

@ektar EDIT: Sorry. An enlarging lens is also, by definition, a projection lens...
I was interpreting "projection lens" as: "lens originally manufactured to be used in a slide projector"...
My bad.

Last edited:

Macroramphosis

Real Name
Roddy

cjoliprsf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Claude
Interesting, thank you. Did the 40mm not strike you as any sort of alternative to perhaps the O75mm, for focal length only perhaps (most certainly not image quality). I only ask as there is a shortage of long length primes in m4/3 land.
Hard to say, as I don't have the O75.
But if I seeked some sort of equivalent, I'd rather try the Canon 85mm.

DanS

Mu-43 All-Pro
Technically my wife bought everything, as its for her business, but I spent a good chunk of time helping her figure out what she really needed. She needs to be able to take good portraits and head shots for her business (marketing).

After taking a seminar, she was convinced by the speakers (not very knowledgeable imo), that she needed a Sony a7R IV and a sigma 35mm f/1.4 for portraiture work that will be shot outdoors in ideal lighting conditions 99% of the time. o_O

After letting her experiment with my GH5 and various lenses, and showing her many of the various sample images on the forum, she decided to ignore the speakers recommendations. She decided on a G9, and a more traditional portraiture lens in the Olympus 45mm f/1.2 (as a splurge).

Since it's her first ILC, she needed all the additional accessories (sd cards, extra battery, cleaning supplies, bag, etc). She was really happy to see that everything shipped to our house was still several hundred dollars cheaper than just the a7R IV body.

Last edited:

The Grumpy Snapper

Mu-43 Veteran
I found a deal on a m4/3 Samyang 10mm. It will be used on m4/3 for landscapes and live composite images and adapted to a Sony APS-C body for landscapes and astro.

I did wonder if Amazon Canada had made a mistake on the price. Nine days later and Amazon are messing me around big time. I spoke with customer support on Monday afternoon and they assured me that everything was straightened out even sending me an email say that it was dealt with.

Two more days of them screwing around and I was back on the phone with customer support this afternoon.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Bo
A Genesis C3 CF tripod, a macro slide rail and a Raynox 150 is waiting for pick up, hope start to try macro work this summer.

I also recently bought a new laptop for travel, a Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 15IMH05, the graphics card, GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR6, handles DxO acceleration of DeepPRIME fine.
With the monitor on the laptop calibrated the same as my stationary monitor there is very little difference in colour between them.

Latest threads

Top Bottom