what photography related item did you buy this week?

Macroramphosis

Jack of Spades and an unfeasibly large wheelbarrow
Real Name
Roddy
I have an eBay alert for several things, including anything for a GM5. At breakfast yesterday as I was actually doing my emails one came in for a GM5 that ticked several boxes. It was unused, it was in France, it included all the accessories AND the kit P12-32 in their original unopened packaging, and the price was seriously negotiable. What was not to like? Need I add it's in the post? :) I could well have been the first person to look at the listing.

Anyway this time around I shall never touch that damn rear dial, glue the PL15m to it, and set it in A mode for ever.

I shall oblige you all with a cat photo, naturally.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
Mindshift Rotation 180 smallest size to try and make it easy to get to my macro accessories in the field

Guess who was the first to try it out, just sat there till I adjusted the waist belt for her :hmmm:

Pack.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Mountain_Man_79

Enjoying Cameraderie
Real Name
Chris
Well, until eBay requires me to pass a breathalyzer test before using it, I suppose I’ll keep posting in this forum -

66AB14B6-DBC6-4310-B0D5-26EF02DC785C.jpeg

F0C734CD-7342-4463-8076-B31DB65D5A09.jpeg

B09C19E1-55A5-4C45-8FA7-12A91E7EC81A.jpeg

I did have a thought process behind getting an F80/N80 though. First, this is the camera that my Fuji S2 Pro is built around. I thought it’d be fun to have the analogue version of that camera. Second, all my film cameras are as old as me or older. I don’t actually have a ‘modern’ film camera. So this fills that niche.

LucDeSchepper

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Luc de Schepper
I've always been a big Nikon fan - there, I've said it - and have had at least one Nikon amongst my kit since the mid-80's. My longest-serving Nikon digital camera has been a D700 (bought in 2012) which continues to work perfectly, and will have to be prised from my cold, dead hands. I did yearn for a modern iteration though, and been looking at a camera which will be good for landscape photography.

My Olys (E-M1.2 & Pen F) will remain my 'go to' of choice, maintaining their position as my favourite cameras. I still think there's a certain 'something' about them which makes them a joy to use. I may invest in some longer glass too.

Anyway...this beastie arrived yesterday - Z7 with the Z 50-1.8S:

View attachment 888140

Great combo, nice purchase! I'm sure you'll like it. Great product shot also.

Gromit

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Richard
Great combo, nice purchase! I'm sure you'll like it. Great product shot also.

Thank you Luc - appreciate the kind comment.

I've been considering a high MP Full Frame camera for some time, mostly for landscape - I did have a brief flirtation with an A7RIII a couple of years ago, but I ended up hating it. Wonderful image quality, awful camera. The Z7 gives all the Sony's IQ but with comfortable ergos, and a logical menu system which just works superbly.

That 50-1.8 S is incredible - it's no ordinary 'nifty fifty' and shouldn't be seen as such.

LucDeSchepper

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Luc de Schepper
Thank you Luc - appreciate the kind comment.

I've been considering a high MP Full Frame camera for some time, mostly for landscape - I did have a brief flirtation with an A7RIII a couple of years ago, but I ended up hating it. Wonderful image quality, awful camera. The Z7 gives all the Sony's IQ but with comfortable ergos, and a logical menu system which just works superbly.

That 50-1.8 S is incredible - it's no ordinary 'nifty fifty' and shouldn't be seen as such.

I have exactly the same experience with the Sony A7 series, that's why I waited for a Nikon mirrorless camera. The Z 50mm f1.8 is a "poor man's Otus". Flawless optical performance.

Just bought a PD Sling 3L. I really like the PD stuff and already have the cuff and the slide lite. I already have some larger bags so this new bag should suit me well when I would like to walk and only need 1 or 2 lenses.

algold

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alex
Just bought a PD Sling 3L. I really like the PD stuff and already have the cuff and the slide lite. I already have some larger bags so this new bag should suit me well when I would like to walk and only need 1 or 2 lenses.
That’s a great smal sling. Enjoy!

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
A few years back , I bought an X100F and whilst I loved the output at times, it wasn't getting as much use as the price tag warranted. So I sold it off early this year.

Then last night, I stopped by a local 2nd hand camera dealer. They had an original X100 (Bayer sensor, 12mp version) quite cheap indeed. Missing lens cap, no paperwork, aftermarket charger but it seems to function fine. I've always had an interest in the original, and the investment is low, so I bought it. I'll try to find a cheap lens hood and just use it as a casual shooter. I won't be paranoid about keeping it pretty, it might even live in the glove box, lol. Unlike the Xtrans versions, the raw files will play nicely with Dxo PL . The only obvious annoyance is that it's too early for wifi , so it's back to transferring from card to PC.

And it turns out it's running very old firmware (1.21) , I'll have to update it because 2.0 transformed the AF into something semi decent, lol.

IMG_20210517_180510961-01.jpeg

Last edited:

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
A few years back , I bought an X100F and whilst I loved the output at times, it wasn't getting as much use as the price tag warranted. So I sold it off early this year.

Then last night, I stopped by a local 2nd hand camera dealer. They had an original X100 (Bayer sensor, 12mp version) quite cheap indeed. Missing lens cap, no paperwork, aftermarket charger but it seems to function fine. I've always had an interest in the original, and the investment is low, so I bought it. I'll try to find a cheap lens hood and just use it as a casual shooter. I won't be paranoid about keeping it pretty, it might even live in the glove box, lol. Unlike the Xtrans versions, the raw files will play nicely with Dxo PL . The only obvious annoyance is that it's too early for wifi , so it's back to transferring from card to PC.

And it turns out it's running very old firmware (1.21) , I'll have to update it because 2.0 transformed the AF into something semi decent, lol.

View attachment 888658
Try using a Micro SD with an Adapter and just slot the Micro SD into your phone (if it's an Android that still has those) or use a small Type C/Lightning Port Memory Card dongle for on-the-go transfers ... that bypasses the issue of no WiFi.

Real Name
Andrew L
Try using a Micro SD with an Adapter and just slot the Micro SD into your phone (if it's an Android that still has those) or use a small Type C/Lightning Port Memory Card dongle for on-the-go transfers ... that bypasses the issue of no WiFi.
One more consideration: with my Pixel at least, using USB OTG like this only works with a maximum of 32gb cards. Above 32gb is formatted differently and my phone can't read it.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
One more consideration: with my Pixel at least, using USB OTG like this only works with a maximum of 32gb cards. Above 32gb is formatted differently and my phone can't read it.
Maybe it's time to bring out the ducktape, the fork and the McGiver:
1621295570088.png

Michael Houston

Mu-43 Veteran
Picked up a Panny GF7 super-cheap, partly I think because it's pink. Made, I think, for a younger girl - pretty much the opposite of me. Don't care about the leatherette as much as the image. At least, that's how I feel today. We'll see how I feel when I actually have it in my hands...

Macroramphosis

Jack of Spades and an unfeasibly large wheelbarrow
Real Name
Roddy
Picked up a Panny GF7 super-cheap, partly I think because it's pink. Made, I think, for a younger girl - pretty much the opposite of me. Don't care about the leatherette as much as the image. At least, that's how I feel today. We'll see how I feel when I actually have it in my hands...
You could always buy a short skirt and some thigh boots, Michael. The camera won't look so silly then, surely? :D

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Hey, at least you won't lose it in the tall grass.

Latest threads

Top Bottom