what photography related item did you buy this week?

Mountain_Man_79

Enjoying Cameraderie
Real Name
Chris
I finally sprung for my long lusted after Nikon dF in silver. Roberts camera had a great deal on an excellent condition one with only about 5,000 shots. This will be my first full frame digital camera.
4D3D2847-7D6D-495F-8915-3FCB4EBA3014.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

FE37A588-24EE-4C5C-995E-40BFE29740F7.jpeg

4D47626F-9F64-439E-AFFC-FEC8B437CC0C.jpeg

As I’ve long since planned for a fx sensor system, I’ve long since determined the 4 lenses I planned on getting. All highly reviewed, and all pretty darn affordable second hand. Although I planned to get the Nikon 85mm 1.8g first, another lens on my short list came up at a price I couldn’t turn down ($265). So I’ll be pairing my dF with a Tokina 16-28mm f2.8. Also kind of nice; as I don’t have a m4/3 equivalent lens for anything this wide angle.
C34C748D-672B-486A-BCFF-515306C3D027.jpeg

F31EC74E-581A-4A83-8914-86B0DE33DA6F.jpeg

Next week will be Christmas in April for me!

Bytesmiths

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jan Steinman
The world's first ƒ/2 zoom lens! From a member. (Thanks, Larry!)

Stock photo; won't have the lens for a couple weeks while Canada Lost ships it to and fro from sea to sea to sea…
ZD_14-35mmF2SWD_frontright_od.jpg

Phocal

God
I got my USB battery charger to use on my Goal Zero Sherpa 100 I picked up last week. Initial testing shows using the USB charger I can get 7 battery recharges vs the 4 using the AC charger. Now I just need to decide on a solar panel to pick up and I will be set for long backcountry trips.

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
O45 f1.8 coming. I had one years ago and enjoyed it but sold it when i went to Nikon. I've been hankering for something longer..

This ( hopefully ) is my last lens purchase - I can see my e-m10.2 being replaced by a e-m1.2 at some stage...

There is no hope.
You are doomed to sink further into the m4/3 world. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Ghostbuggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Phill
I finally sprung for my long lusted after Nikon dF in silver. Roberts camera had a great deal on an excellent condition one with only about 5,000 shots. This will be my first full frame digital camera.

I remember lusting about the Df back when it was released, that design struck me as soon as I saw the first press images. I forget about it for quite a while and only remembered it because our fellow user @Gromit kept sharing photos taken with his Df. I checked prices on ebay and was surprised how expensive and especially "rare" this camera is.
Have fun with it!

Gromit

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Richard
@Mountain_Man_79 - wonderful stuff Chris!

I'll confess to being more than a little cynical on the Df's release, seeing it purely as a half-baked (and very expensive) attempt by Nikon to catch a seat on the Hipster Train. I was so, so wrong - as a tool for making images it is superb. The AF system is all I need, and as I use focus-recompose the lack of AF points (and their spread) isn't an issue.

The sound of the shutter, the overall feel, and of course the glorious IQ is a total joy. It has mono jpegs to die for, in fact I'd risk saying they're even better than those from my Leica M-P 240.

Mountain_Man_79

Enjoying Cameraderie
Real Name
Chris
@Mountain_Man_79 - wonderful stuff Chris!

I'll confess to being more than a little cynical on the Df's release, seeing it purely as a half-baked (and very expensive) attempt by Nikon to catch a seat on the Hipster Train. I was so, so wrong - as a tool for making images it is superb. The AF system is all I need, and as I use focus-recompose the lack of AF points (and their spread) isn't an issue.

The sound of the shutter, the overall feel, and of course the glorious IQ is a total joy. It has mono jpegs to die for, in fact I'd risk saying they're even better than those from my Leica M-P 240.
Thanks Richard, I can’t wait to get out with it! I’ll give the raw+jpg a shot first to see how they bake those mono jpg’s (I was planning on just shooting raw).

Mountain_Man_79

Enjoying Cameraderie
Real Name
Chris
I remember lusting about the Df back when it was released, that design struck me as soon as I saw the first press images. I forget about it for quite a while and only remembered it because our fellow user @Gromit kept sharing photos taken with his Df. I checked prices on ebay and was surprised how expensive and especially "rare" this camera is.
Have fun with it!
Yeah, this a weird one to fairly price. I wouldn’t go so far as to call them rare, but there are plenty of folks that are asking way too much for them. The fact that any other Nikon full frame released at the same time back in 2013 can be had for peanuts, makes this one the odd ball when it goes for much more. I mean, a d800 is by far the cheapest way to get into a full frame hi-res sensor (36mp) for what, $600? What makes the dF so weird is that’s it’s still a current model 8 years later, and I think Nikon asks $2800 for it. So I have no idea whether the one I bought is 7 or 8 years old, or if it’s 1 or 2 years old. But buying from Roberts where they rated it as 90-99%, comes with a 6 month warranty, and was $1300 seemed very fair. Especially with the 5% back eBay was giving when I made the purchase.

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
View attachment 880986
View attachment 880987
View attachment 880988
As I’ve long since planned for a fx sensor system, I’ve long since determined the 4 lenses I planned on getting. All highly reviewed, and all pretty darn affordable second hand. Although I planned to get the Nikon 85mm 1.8g first, another lens on my short list came up at a price I couldn’t turn down ($265). So I’ll be pairing my dF with a Tokina 16-28mm f2.8. Also kind of nice; as I don’t have a m4/3 equivalent lens for anything this wide angle.
View attachment 880989
View attachment 880990

Oooh, that's a cool looking Nikon.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Bo
One of these plus a USB-C external housing. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07YFFX5MD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm going to put my main photo library on it instead of keep racking up space on the internal SSD of my desktop. I'm mindful that SSDs can fail with zero warning so will just get into the habit of backing it up.
Since I have a fast M2 SSD as my system disk in my new PC with loads off space (1TB) I use that for storage while I process photos, but since I am concerned about failure of the SSD I do a daily copy to my storage RAID1 HDD (Using the SyncFolders program).
If my system disk is lost I should not loose anything as I store all my photos on the RAID and do daily backup from there.
I have lost 2 SSD's so I am a bit worried about them.

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
Since I have a fast M2 SSD as my system disk in my new PC with loads off space (1TB) I use that for storage while I process photos, but since I am concerned about failure of the SSD I do a daily copy to my storage RAID1 HDD (Using the SyncFolders program).
If my system disk is lost I should not loose anything as I store all my photos on the RAID and do daily backup from there.
I've had another one plugged into my computer for nearly a year without issue - however I was concerned at the high temperature it runs at (which is normal for this kind of drive). The enclosure I've bought 'looks' to have a more effective heat sink - but we'll see :)

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...
Bo, once you have an SSD system disk set up how you want it, use Windows Backup to image it to a reliable HDD (or two ... ).

The native image program works very well. I used it extensively when setting up multiple 'identical' SSDs.

While the recovery image must have the original name to work, you can: 1) keep multiple copies on different disks, or 2) rename an older copy on the same disk. You would then need to rename it back in order to restore the image. I use method 1, it's far simpler.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
Good old "better safe than sorry" definitely applies here. I've got 3-4 different backup drives. Why? Because better safe than sorry. :D

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
Step one:
IMG_0216.JPEG

IT ARRIVED TODAY :D ... the Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-100mm f 4 Sync IS Pro :)

First impression ... HOLY BUILD QUALITY :) ... it feels dense and packed with goodness, the zoom is very smooth and lean, easy to turn to specific FL. The manual focus ring and clutch work perfectly (the Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f 2.8 Pro ring had a bit of wobble and, sometimes, I could even make half of the ring move while the other half stay tilted). The IS switch feels sweet moving it as it snaps in position with very good affirmative feedback. The size and weight do not feel imposing at all (for the first impression that is) and could be that I got so used to Panny 50-200mm f 2.8-4. It is smaller than the Panny and lighter as well but the front element and diameter of the lens are more imposing as well as impressive. It does mean all the filters I had before of 62mm and 67mm are useless, they will need replacing but I think I will stick with CPL only. Another nice feature is that the camera sits flat comfortably with the Uno B-Grip plate at the bottom with the lens hood.

I can't wait to add a vinyl skin (it kept the other lenses free of scratches for an entire year perfectly and when I took it off there was no residue left on them either, I honestly believe it is a worthy investment to protect the gear) and this time I am going to go with Camo Forest Green:
1617361367176.png

(I'm going to get it for Big Oly)
1617361520080.png

(And for both Oly 12-100 Pro and Oly 100-400)

Latest threads

Top Bottom