what photography related item did you buy this week?

jimr.pdx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim R
Sounds like treason to some, but keh had a Sony 5t for about $125 that will serve as the car-cam. Charges on my phone cable, has features I use (e.g. tilt screen), and definitely can't compete with eM1.ii feature set. I have a 16-50 already, and a $20 adapter lets me use lenses like my TTartisan 35/1.4 on it. One more reason to seek a TTa 17/1.4 when it's available.. maybe go trifecta and get the 50/1.2 also?

jhawk1000

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mel
For what it’s worth, I’ve had a few micro-SD cards fail, but never an SD card.
I have had three SD cards fail----all were genuine SanDisk cards- 2 16gb Extremes and one 128 gb Extreme card. Plastic broke around the contacts. And in anticipation of the other question, I keep them in a hard plastic case where they are securely held.

Armoured

Mu-43 Veteran
E-M5.ii used. That was the plan. It ended up coming at a good price in a set with the 12-40 pro and the 14-42EZ motorized, plus some spare batteries, an extra charger, and an external microphone (that I'll probably sell).

The 12-40 is amazing, love the manual focus clutch. I expected to hate the 14-42 but I actually like it a bit better than the plastic fantastic regular 14-42.

I went down this road as I wasn't entirely satisfied with the E-M10 (original); had the feeling that it had serious lag when shooting. I now think I was wrong about that - it was more an impression than reality. And this may sound like a minor quibble, but I hated the power on switch on the lower-right of the back panel. Frankly the rest of the features of the E-M5.ii are nice but weren't really the determinant. Well, maybe the much-improved body stabilization - for me that's probably the only real 'feature' that would have been valuable enough to make much of a difference, at least for frequent use.

What was really the issue? The E-M10 just felt kind of cheap to me. It's not, really, it's a very capable and decent camera, an outright bargain, and it is not low-quality at all.

But the E-M5.ii just feels great. It feels right. The shutter sounds good, the shutter feels good, especially for a very quiet camera; the E-M10 feels just a tiny bit tinny. If it were to be measured, I'm not sure that there's very significant lag in shooting with the E.M10, but for me it feels like it does.

I hope I'm not sounding like a camera fetishist (although I will admit to some tendencies); but some tools and instruments feel good in the hand and make you want to use them, and life's too short to not get enjoyment out of them. It's easy to mock the link to the OM series, but I have used some of those cameras (and have a couple), and there is a real feel of a common design origin/aesthetic that I quite like.

In this case, it was a small additional price (considering I was happy to pick up the 12-40 pro), and I'm quite confident that this will actually make me use this gear much, much more.

The only thing I'm struggling with is that the intention - in part of a larger project to sell and dispose of some stuff - was originally to sell the E-M10, but now I have to admit it doesn't take up much space and is a very decent back-up body to have and use.

Dinobe

Mu-43 Veteran
A M.Zuiko 40-150 f2.8 PRO
After selling all my Canon gear, including my Canon 70-200 L I wanted a replacement for this.
I've been considering a switch to a 12-100 f4 but decided to search for a 40-150 f2.8

Found one last friday on ebay, got in contact with the seller, won the auction. I paid €716 euro and it is in absolute pristine condition, not a single mark to be seen anywhere....

What a beast, built like a tank, sharp, clever touches like the sliding lens hood, focus clutch system, but also a serious weight...

Last edited:

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
A M.Zuiko 40-150 f2.8 PRO
After selling all my Canon gear, including my Canon 70-200 L I wanted a replacement for this.
I've been considering a switch to a 12-100 f4 but decided to search for a 40-150 f2.8

Found one last friday on ebay, got in contact with the seller, won the auction. I paid €716 euro and it is in absolute pristine condition, not a single mark to be seen anywhere....

What a beast, built like a tank, sharp, clever touches like the sliding lens hood, focus clutch system, but also a serious weight...
Don’t forget the relatively short minimum focus distance. It’s one heck of a lens.

Mountain_Man_79

Enjoying Cameraderie
Real Name
Chris
Good grief...what’s wrong with me?! I haven’t even had an outing with my E-500 yet. But this was such a good price...and for when my 5mp D1X doesn’t cut it, I’ll need the 6.1mp Fuji!
9532E70D-005C-4451-BFFA-6A6922F70BCE.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

D836F364-1A46-474D-9663-418785AC2960.jpeg

7EFB83F2-FC9B-480B-AF80-74446C15A27D.jpeg

jhawk1000

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mel
Good grief...what’s wrong with me?! I haven’t even had an outing with my E-500 yet. But this was such a good price...and for when my 5mp D1X doesn’t cut it, I’ll need the 6.1mp Fuji!
I had one of them S2Pro, then an S3 Pro, then an s5 Pro. Several months ago, one of my wife's former customers from her lab emailed her and told her he had a camera to give away for the cost of postage and she said to send it to her. It came and we were totally happy to see it was a Fuji S3 Pro in great condition. I have been having a long-lost friendship with it again and its beautiful colors.

Mountain_Man_79

Enjoying Cameraderie
Real Name
Chris
I had one of them S2Pro, then an S3 Pro, then an s5 Pro. Several months ago, one of my wife's former customers from her lab emailed her and told her he had a camera to give away for the cost of postage and she said to send it to her. It came and we were totally happy to see it was a Fuji S3 Pro in great condition. I have been having a long-lost friendship with it again and its beautiful colors.
Lucky you. This was a good deal, but still cost more than the price of postage!

Zapp

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Darek
Two OEM BLH-1, by price equal to 1,4x Patona aftermarket ones.
Unused, boxes with holo, but nearly 3y old.

kanakanatwo

Mu-43 Rookie
Left m43 and photography over 6 years ago, not because I had anything against m43 (quite the opposite actually) but life kind of got in the way. Recently decided to pick up a used E-PL2 for under $30 online. Currently (and excitedly) watching the tracking number update slowly.

Have been shopping for used lenses as well - there's so much more used inventory on the market from people offloading there m43 kit in search of greener pastures. Such a different arena from back when I first bought my original E-M5. It felt like I was the only one in my town who had an m43 camera.

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
Left m43 and photography over 6 years ago, not because I had anything against m43 (quite the opposite actually) but life kind of got in the way. Recently decided to pick up a used E-PL2 for under $30 online. Currently (and excitedly) watching the tracking number update slowly.

Have been shopping for used lenses as well - there's so much more used inventory on the market from people offloading there m43 kit in search of greener pastures. Such a different arena from back when I first bought my original E-M5. It felt like I was the only one in my town who had an m43 camera.
Welcome to the forum. :Welcome:

And the more people go looking for greener grass, the more goodies for us happy folk. :laugh:

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...

:Welcome: to this lovely forum.

scb

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Steve
So, when I purchased the Oly 40-150 mm Pro lens, I sold off my Oly 40-150mm f/4-5.6 lens. I love the 40-150mm Pro lens for my wildlife/nature hikes, but there are times when you don't want a heavier bag. So, for that reason, I just purchased a "like new" used 40-150 f/4-5.6 lens! It's such a gem for a budget lens.

shreebles

Mu-43 Veteran
For the fourth time after selling one, I have bought another used Olympus E-M1 mark I. :biggrin:
Without any dial issues this time.
Despite its issues, I keep coming back to this affordable and compact workhorse of a camera.

It will be a webcam, as I am still stuck to work from home for the coming months.
The main reason for choosing it over my newer E-M1 mark ii is that using Olympus Webcam sips a lot of battery and external power supply options are much more affordable and available for the mark i.

Latest threads

Top Bottom