what photography related item did you buy this week?

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
Speaking of GAS....

I just picked up a Maxxum 28-135 "Secret Handshake" lens which was supposedly a thank you to their customers. (it wasn't, but legends die slowly) for about 2/3 the going price. These are highly rated lenses, on a scale of 5 they're rated 4.6 for sharpness and 4.8 for color. Like most older lenses they suffer from flare control, but that's easy to work around if you're aware. It will join the other Maxxum zooms I've been acquiring, the 35-105, the venerated 70-210 Beercan, the 100-200, and the 75-300. These were purchased for $217 total. The most expensive is the 28-135 for $97, shipped. The least expensive was the 75-300 for $14.00.

The focal length on my film cameras is very close to my beloved 12-60 on M-4/3.

Wait...I may have some overlap...

CD77

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Chris
It's a big beast but a bit shy?
Show us it in all its naked glory!
The M4/3 to 4/3 adapter came today, here it is stuck in the middle of my EM10ii riding bareback on the 50-200 SWD.
41ACE2C0-F615-446B-BDBF-F180EF01FA47.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

562FAEAD-527B-441D-8C3D-2DC75C05E7F0.jpeg

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
I was just going to say cute! :whistling:

I believe there's a guy up north somewhere who sells old Sherman tanks.
Might be an idea to buy one to mount the lens on. :th_salute:

Last edited:

Vermont3133

A New Lens Will Fix It!
Real Name
Stu
Mint condition GX85

Not long ago I was stating how happy I was to get a GX8.
I loved a lot of things about it....the EVF for example. [incredible]
However it was large....about the same size as my XT-2 and going smaller was one of my main aims with M43. The insanely placed display button drove me nuts. I have tried to love articulated screens but the flip out type is the only one that works for me and if the circumstances and light are right that is what I normally use.
The IBIS was a bit of a joke.....one reviewer rated it as a one stop advantage and I wouldn't argue with that.
The tilting EVF was cute but I found I was never using it.

So I figured the body for me was the GX85.....which I would probably have bought in the first place except for all the negative opinion about it's EVF.
I'm pleased to say the EVF doesn't bother me at all. It doesn't compare well with the GX8's but I find that it's fine.....and ironically, the 16:9 ratio which causes the blank space either side actually makes it easier to view the full scene in the EVF.

Things I'm really happy about include.....very good IBIS and even better Dual IS....and the ability to see this working with a half-shutter press, focus bracketing, and of course the flip out screen and the size.

I do miss a couple of extra Fn buttons but I have set up the Q menu to compensate.

All I need now is a PL15 and I'll sign up at GAS Anonymous!

Real Name
Andrew L
Mint condition GX85

Not long ago I was stating how happy I was to get a GX8.
I loved a lot of things about it....the EVF for example. [incredible]
However it was large....about the same size as my XT-2 and going smaller was one of my main aims with M43. The insanely placed display button drove me nuts. I have tried to love articulated screens but the flip out type is the only one that works for me and if the circumstances and light are right that is what I normally use.
The IBIS was a bit of a joke.....one reviewer rated it as a one stop advantage and I wouldn't argue with that.
The tilting EVF was cute but I found I was never using it.

So I figured the body for me was the GX85.....which I would probably have bought in the first place except for all the negative opinion about it's EVF.
I'm pleased to say the EVF doesn't bother me at all. It doesn't compare well with the GX8's but I find that it's fine.....and ironically, the 16:9 ratio which causes the blank space either side actually makes it easier to view the full scene in the EVF.

Things I'm really happy about include.....very good IBIS and even better Dual IS....and the ability to see this working with a half-shutter press, focus bracketing, and of course the flip out screen and the size.

I do miss a couple of extra Fn buttons but I have set up the Q menu to compensate.

All I need now is a PL15 and I'll sign up at GAS Anonymous!
The GX85 is still a killer cheap model. L Monochrome also might not be quite as nice as the "D" version that came after the GX85/G85, but it's still pretty nice. And standard color mode is really nice as well. You can do an awful lot with that camera.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
I talked to my doctor about chronic GAS, and he said to try an antacid. I‘ve been buying and selling antacid ever since in an effort to find the best one. It doesn’t help that the antacid forums are overrun by Pepcid fanboys.

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
I talked to my doctor about chronic GAS, and he said to try an antacid. I‘ve been buying and selling antacid ever since in an effort to find the best one. It doesn’t help that the antacid forums are overrun by Pepcid fanboys.
Oh no Randy, you've ruined my plans. :dash2:
I've had this idea for a few weeks now and thought I'd save it until the 1st April, hoping that April Fool's Day isn't restricted to the UK.

I may as well do it now though.

Photographers worldwide are suffering from this debilitating disease, Gear Acquisition Syndrome.
I have contacted GlaxoSmithKline, manufacturer of the well-known and best selling antacid drug Gaviscon to see if they could provide a cure. They have started looking into making an effective remedy and once research and testing has been carried out, they will most likely offer it for sale under the generic name..........

Gasisgon! :dance4:

Oh well. :shakehead:

Last edited:

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
They arrived, a roll of Kodak Professional TMAX P3200 and Kodak Ektar 100, 4 new LR44 batteries, new light seal foams with sticky backs for the Pentax ME. The sealed replaced and battery in the camera is ready for some fun old school film shooting.
Since I don't have a wider then 70mm Pentax K lens I went off to evilBay and grabbed a 10£ Sigma 35-70mm f 2.8-4, it arrived today. (I wanted something wider like 28mm but couldn't find something dirt cheap and decent *cough* no Hanimex *cough* for now)
20210114_223950.jpg

The lens looks clean-is, or does have some dust in it and a tiny bit of haze on the edge.

20210114_224001.jpg

The only realm downside is that the aperture doesnt close, its not the end of the world, maybe its fixable so I will try to look into it at some point.
35mm should be wide enough for street, landscape and indoors and it's better f 2.8 then f 3.5 or f 4 that you get on other lenses.

20210114_224017.jpg

Already popped in the TMAX film and snapped a few shots of the pupper. I forgot that the camera rates natively up to ISO 1600 so I need to be careful with the metering (for some reason the camera won't let me turn the dial to 1/4 or 1/2 underexpose). I'm writing down the settings for each shot to have a reference later. And I need to be careful with the shutter speed too, need to remember that IBIS is not a thing and it's a metal body so it vibrates more even with light weight of the whole thing.

I also tried my Yashica Yashidon DX 50mm f 1.4 with a M42 to PK adapter but the metering seems to ignore the aperture settings on the lens so I need to be careful with the exposure on that lens.

Latest threads

Top Bottom