what photography related item did you buy this week?

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...
Yus, different papers give different results. I wanted to see if I could be happy with those brands and specific paper models. It's part of learning the printing process.
I am thinking of testing PermaJet next, in the upcoming months.

Beware of generic brand papers. These may be from different manufacturers with each batch, so a poor guide.

I am being offered photo job opportunities recently and they might include print selling as well, so things are kind of getting exciting.
That is something to look forward to ... :) .

While I would be glad to have work but I have been working over 200 hours every month for 8 out of 9 months now, the stress of working in a Dementia Nursing home made specific of End of Life for the past 2 1/2 years has pilled up to pretty close to breaking point, added the Human Malware anxiety without relief, incompetence of UK gov. and management of Nursing Homes, added by loneliness and severe depression (up to very recently). I've been falling apart health, mentally, and emotionally, I am making pretty significant changes and sacrifices to get out of the whole I dug myself into.
There are no solutions in life, only tradeoffs.
I wish you all the very best with all of that, mate. I do not envy you either the hard work, or the mental stress all this is putting on you. COVID-19 has added a terrible dimension to this. Almost all the deaths in Australia have been in Victoria (700+ out of 800+), and over two thirds of those have been nursing/aged care facilities. About half of all infections here have been in health care staff.

And the long term effects look pretty bad, even for those who have had a relatively benign infection. I've discussed what I call "Post COVID syndrome" with both my GP and my Cardiologist. They confirm my own thoughts on this - i.e. not a good long term outlook - permanent lung, heart and arterial damage that's quite unlike what is seen in classic corona virus infections, whether flu or colds. Only time will tell.

Life is a sexually transmitted disease, which is invariably fatal ....

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
Beware of generic brand papers. These may be from different manufacturers with each batch, so a poor guide.

That is something to look forward to ... :) .

I wish you all the very best with all of that, mate. I do not envy you either the hard work, or the mental stress all this is putting on you. COVID-19 has added a terrible dimension to this. Almost all the deaths in Australia have been in Victoria (700+ out of 800+), and over two thirds of those have been nursing/aged care facilities. About half of all infections here have been in health care staff.

And the long term effects look pretty bad, even for those who have had a relatively benign infection. I've discussed what I call "Post COVID syndrome" with both my GP and my Cardiologist. They confirm my own thoughts on this - i.e. not a good long term outlook - permanent lung, heart and arterial damage that's quite unlike what is seen in classic corona virus infections, whether flu or colds. Only time will tell.

Life is a sexually transmitted disease, which is invariably fatal ....
The last sentence, I never heard being put it that way before. May I ask for your approval of its usage in the future? :p

I've seen quite a lot of people die given this job, it had permanent and not always positive effects on me. But I never contemplated my own demise on such a short term notice. It's quite the challenge to "Don't be bothered by that, that's how life is, people die".
Given my low health state even for the age of just 32, even in the best case scenarion, Human Malware will degrade my health and probably life expectancy & quality. (I had all my life breathing difficulties, low lung capacity and heart problems).
I accepted the risk of working at this job when it was declared a Pandemic, I even requested of my employer to be isolated at the workplace IF there will be any confirmed cases at the nursing home (to protect the people in the comunal house I lived it up until last week). It seems that we can't all be horoes or brave ... at least not indefinetly that is.

On the paper, I am still learning the difference and varations of different types of paper textures (matt, glossy, semi-glossy, fine art, heavyweight, satin, luster, etc).

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
The last sentence, I never heard being put it that way before.

Another couple that I made up are:
Human beings are just one more strategy by nature for making more DNA molecules ...
Death is nature's way of telling us to slow down ...

May I ask for your approval of its usage in the future? :p

By all means. Feel free.

I've seen quite a lot of people die given this job, it had permanent and not always positive effects on me. But I never contemplated my own demise on such a short term notice. It's quite the challenge to "Don't be bothered by that, that's how life is, people die".
Given my low health state even for the age of just 32, even in the best case scenarion, Human Malware will degrade my health and probably life expectancy & quality. (I had all my life breathing difficulties, low lung capacity and heart problems).

Geez, can I identify with all that! I'm a lot older (in my 70s) but have an artificial heart valve, 2 lead pacemaker, chronic asthma since birth. Fortunately, by judicious use of medications, I have been able to keep my peak flow at normal levels. Pre-med, it's still around 500L/min. My heart's wiring is buggered, thanks to modern technology, I'm still here. To add to the joy, I had a total colectomy in 2001, and have widespread osteoarthritis. Just knackered my back hanging the washing out ... I really need to get flat now, with wheat bags. I take painkillers 5x a day. Cannot take any anti-inflammatories due to being on Warfarin for life.

I accepted the risk of working at this job when it was declared a Pandemic, I even requested of my employer to be isolated at the workplace IF there will be any confirmed cases at the nursing home (to protect the people in the comunal house I lived it up until last week). It seems that we can't all be horoes or brave ... at least not indefinetly that is.

Take care of yourself, Ovidiui. That's a very hard job at the moment, and you need to keep yourself physically and mentally well. You, and all your colleagues world wide, have my admiration and respect.

On the paper, I am still learning the difference and varations of different types of paper textures (matt, glossy, semi-glossy, fine art, heavyweight, satin, luster, etc).

Once you find one you like, stick to it. Changing papers can lead to a whole world of pain ...

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
My hope is to find 2 different styles of papers (maybe). From what I understand gloss and semi gloss go well with colour prints for the extra punch of contrast and saturation, for my landscapes and wildlife. And one matt for (quite rare) black and white prints, especially for portraits and street photos (but mostly pushed to hard ISO files).
A 3rd type would be nice for diversity sakes. Like something to fall back on when the other two feel boring, maybe something like archival or fine art, something with lots of texture for character.

phigmov

Probably Not Walter Kernow
I've had the 35mm f2.4 for 18mths or so and use it very lightly. I mainly got it because the Sigma 17-35mm f2.8 that came with my K-7 seemed very soft but now I realise it was probably just the K-7 being a K-7. I knew there was a 50mm DA out there too but was fine using the manual-focus 50's (I had a K-mount and M42-mount Pentaxes).

Anyway, I saw another eBay bargain and picked up a 50mm f1.8 DA - super cheap & almost obnoxiously budget-build (just like the 35mm) but the pics seem fine. Its weird because I'd struggle to think of an original manufacturers lens that feels this cheesy in Nikon or Micro-Four-Thirds land (maybe the Oly body-cap lenses?). Will slap it on the K-5 and see how it performs - ultimately its the pics that count.

50365169648_55a0878f01_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
_9210055 by Walter Kernow, on Flickr

Phil.H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Like it was mentioned, the lens is a little gem. I have been using it a lot this past 2 weeks since my Panny Leica 50-200mm is away on a refused repair and I haven't had the time to get it back yet.
I love the Olympus rendition, I tried using it outside of macro and I was suprised how pretty the pictures come out: wildlife, portrait, landscape.
What I have learned/noticed:
*Don't forget about the AF limiter switch (I had a few moments where I lost good picture opportunity because the switch was at 0.19-0.40 meters),
*If you have trouble with DoF try In Camera Focus Stacking if there's no wind (it can do wonders in Macro usage),
*In Macro usage I prefer Fully Electronic Shutter (even with a very quiet and damn E-M1 III and E-M5 II I found that Electronic First Curtain the shutter movement still has an impact on my hand and stability at such high magnification, I prefer handheld macro over tripod usage outdoors),
*The AF is very quick even for AF-C from half a meter to infinity, closer it slows down so use the AF switch to push it quickly to 1:1 and focus with your grip, moving back and forwards),
*Macro lenses have extremely flat DoF so you can focus and recompose even to extrem corners and get sharp subject IF you can hold the same vertical plane, especially at high magnification.

(This lens migh push me to dump Panny Leica 50-200mm for Oly 40-150mm Pro ... IF I can get rid of the desire to swap/try 35mm FF that has been bugging me for the last few weeks).
Thanks for the tips Ovidiu :2thumbs:

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
Finally have something to post here! :yahoo:

Just bought 2 used Godox AD200s and another MagMod Professional kit. All those three for only 500EUR. I had been waiting for a Finnish store to get that AD200 back in stock for á 299EUR but I just couldn't ignore this offer I saw in a Finnish camera gear forum. Managed to even get 60EUR off from the asking price. I was going to buy only one AD200 originally but since the price was low enough I changed my mind and bought two.

But... (or is it an "and"?) I now need to get new stands too! No way I'm putting these AD200s on my current light stands (pun intended) because it would be an accident waiting to happen. The AD200s weight more than I thought and I don't think my stands wouldn't suffice. I already broke my TT685o's diffuser plate a couple of months ago when the stand fell on the ground (managed to fix it though with my MacGyver skills).

Bidkev

Mu-43 Legend
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 25yrs ago
I've been out of the loop for a while due to ill health and as you can see from my sig I've offloaded a load of gear. What shooting I've been doing of late I've done with the panny 25. I'll see how good this panny 12-32 is and may offload my 12-40 pro as well. I needed something to fit in my pocket to "re-invigorate" me and saw this GF7 with a nice shutter count for AUS$350 so took the plunge.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
I've been out of the loop for a while due to ill health and as you can see from my sig I've offloaded a load of gear. What shooting I've been doing of late I've done with the panny 25. I'll see how good this panny 12-32 is and may offload my 12-40 pro as well. I needed something to fit in my pocket to "re-invigorate" me and saw this GF7 with a nice shutter count for AUS$350 so took the plunge.

View attachment 848455 View attachment 848456 View attachment 848457 View attachment 848458 View attachment 848459 View attachment 848460 View attachment 848461
Very clean looking. Looks like a great score.

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard

View attachment 848455 View attachment 848456 View attachment 848457 View attachment 848458 View attachment 848459 View attachment 848460 View attachment 848461

I hope you are feeling better Kev.

Mack

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Bought a couple of grips to go onto my 300mm f/4 Pro's tripod foot to shoot handheld. I lost my old motorcycle grip foam one I made with a 1" dowel with a 1/4-20 thread in the end. Missed that so trying out the following two:

https://www.amazon.com/BARSKA-Accu-...+Handheld+Tripod+System&qid=1600795802&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/ChromLives-Handle-Grip-Handlegrip-Stabilizer/dp/B07332SM8W/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=ChromLives+Camera+Handle+Grip+Support+Mount+Universal+Handlegrip+Camera+Stabilizer+with+1/4+inches+Male+Screw&qid=1600795846&sr=8-1

Fwiw, I like the feel of the Barska one much better than the ChromLives one which is a much harder rubber and feels like the nibs on it cuts into my palm.

Bidkev

Mu-43 Legend
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 25yrs ago
Putting boats on trailers and fighting off salties, no doubt :D

Probably correct. My son joined the RAN Officer training college 8 weeks ago so I've had no deckie to pull anchor and help trailer and so I have been going out solo. Gets to be hard work at my age :) He's at sea atm on HMAS Adelaide so he certainly won't be pulling anchor on that! :)

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
Thanks Richard. Bad pain in lower stomach and back when exerting myself creating breathlessness . Turns out I've been walking around with a fractured rt iliac (pelvis). Haven't had a fall so no idea how it happened and awaiting results of some tests.
Sorry to hear that, Kev. Hope that the magicians can fix that up soon.

I'm also doing bed duty with a back problem, but mine's only a serious spasm, nothing structural.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu

I hope you will feel better soon. Stay safe and keep shooting as long as you can :)

Latest threads

Top Bottom