what photography related item did you buy this week?

Julia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Bought a Laowa 7.5 f2 manual lens (last week Friday), tested it over the weekend and didn't really like it. My friend, who's also looking for a non-fisheye lens for MFT also didn't like it.

I used my Prime account to express order a Panasonic 8-18 for him on Sunday for 882 Euros (used, but with Amazon warranty).

This morning, my German buy/sell forum sported a brand new Panasonic lens for just 750 Euros. Needless to say, I bought it.

Now I'm desperately waiting for Amazon to refund me for the Laowa, and for my friend's money to appear on my bank account ?

Julia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
That spontaneous trip to the Dolomites is costing me.

Just ordered a set of NISI m75 filters (hoping they won't vignette on my lenses), and a pair of Vallerret Pro 2.0 photographer gloves so I won't freeze my fingers off anymore in winter.

Neil_jo

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Neil Johnson
I like photographing insects with the 40-150 pro lens on a monopod and find adjusting the height up or down a pain because I have to lift the whole rig up to get at the adjusters usually scaring the insects away. So I bought a Neewer T222 monopod with a foot that screws onto the bottom leg. I unscrewed the camera plate from the top and attached the legs there and put the camera plate on the bottom leg, so basically turned the whole thing upside down. now the leg adjustments are right under the camera. Can't wait to try it.

20190903_141650.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
You should consider one of the EM10’s. Almost as small as a PEN, smaller than a PEN-F, and has a good EVF. That’s what I did. Picked up an EM10 II body refurbed for $299.
Well the E-m10 mark II or mark III have a good EVF. The original E-m10 mark I had the TFT LCD viewfinder that is problematical with polarized sunglasses.

If you are used to Olympus menus, and/or want a wired shutter release, go for the E-m10 mark II.

If complex menus frighten you (and you won't miss the stuff dropped or 'hidden'), or you want to use a standard micro-USB cable, or you want to record 4K video, go for the E-m10 mark III.

Mack

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Bought a large 8" diameter Styrofoam ball in the craft store today.

The bin full of them got me thinking about the ETTR and the red over-exposure blinkies in the Olympus. "Could it maximize the ETTR without relying on the meter?" :confused-53:

Using FastRawViewer, that 8" diameter white Styrofoam ball really lights up the red over-exposure blinkies in the sunlight. Easy to see where they disappear at too at which point that becomes the exposure setting. Could be some of the specular highlights on the Styrofoam ball cause the camera's O-E blinkies to respond faster than a matte object or card.

Odd part was as the wind was blowing the ball around the yard, I could see the red blinkies change the exposure on the 12-100mm f/4 Pro lens. Might be due to some slight f/stop variance with the zoom or distance and the internal focusing part. Whatever it was, that white ball causes the O-E binkies to be on steroids!

Couple shots below at 1/400 and 1/500 second from E-M1 II and 12-100mm f/4 Pro lens. Luckily, the blue scrub jay showed up to be the model. At 1/400 second, the red blinkies were on the top of the ball. At 1/500 they disappeared, and that is where the FastRawViewer seemed to indicate the proper exposure was found for the RAW file. :yahoo:

Styrofoam-Ball-1-400-02.jpg

Styrofoam-Ball-1-500-01.jpg

Nick779

Mu-43 Regular
You should consider one of the EM10’s. Almost as small as a PEN, smaller than a PEN-F, and has a good EVF. That’s what I did. Picked up an EM10 II body refurbed for $299.

Yup, that or a GX85 was what I was thinking. I have quite a bit on my wish list right now, so thats on the backburner.

Interesting finds Mack, that also reminds me, I finally purchased FastRawViewer. After a month with the trial playing around with it I have no idea why I havent purchased sooner.

Real Name
Andrew L
Pretty sure this setup is the first of its kind... Got the Xiaomi Mi 4K action cam. Interested in trying it out, and seeing if I enjoy making POV videos.

2019-09-05 02.17.36 2.jpg
2019-09-05 02.17.34 2.jpg

melanie.ylang

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
IMG_20190907_160324-02.jpeg

My first SLR was a T50, and a longing for the analogue old days led me to buying this clanker, with its loud shutter and automatic winder. (I'll probably never complain about my GX7's noisy shutter again!) It came with the original autofocus FD 35-70 lever-operated-zoom lens with AF motor built into that goitre hump. Amazingly, the LCD screen on this 35 year old camera is clear and defined, despite the literature advising they're only good for about 5 years.

What better place to rest it for a photo than on a 35 year old Mitsubishi Pajero seat?

Mike G

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike Gorman
I used have the Canon models either side of the T80, the T70 & T90. The T90 was the finest film camera I have ever used, If only canon had turned into a digital camera!

melanie.ylang

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I used have the Canon models either side of the T80, the T70 & T90. The T90 was the finest film camera I have ever used, If only canon had turned into a digital camera!
By all accounts, the T80 is a T70 with AF capabilities and a few programmes which take advantage of that. I've read lots of praise for the T90.

VSTR61

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Vic
Hoo baby! Just scored a 8mm PRO on eBay. Ninety dollerydoos cheaper than their online price, then add a 10% discount voucher for good measure. Somewhere in there is also a $50 gift card and entry into the raffle for the New York Trip!

“Howdy, mate. How about those New York Lakers, huh?” Yup, I reckon I could fit in. ??

Mack

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Hoo baby! Just scored a 8mm PRO on eBay. Ninety dollerydoos cheaper than their online price, then add a 10% discount voucher for good measure. Somewhere in there is also a $50 gift card and entry into the raffle for the New York Trip!

“Howdy, mate. How about those New York Lakers, huh?” Yup, I reckon I could fit in. ??

Good catch. The 8mm f/1.8 PRO lens is nice!

I never owned a fisheye and thought I wouldn't like it, but given Olympus can de-fish it or not in camera makes it even better. Even wider than the 7-14mm PRO as well. Distortion wasn't as bad either if horizon is kept centered.

Enjoy it!

Cynthia

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Cynthia
Oly 60mm macro lens (it was a great deal at my local photog store), a Think Tank roller case (also on sale) for my Canon gear when I use this (my go to camera, though, is my G9), and finally, Lee filter pockets.

algold

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alex
Sold my 12-40/2.8 soon after buying 12-100/4.
Regretted selling it (12-100/4 is great, but still missed the smaller size and versatility of the F/2.8).
Bought it again half a year later ?

1AF096CA-84D1-4648-B214-131B6A28708D.jpeg

Latest threads

Top Bottom