what photography related item did you buy this week?

ektar

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Don
Good Evening,

I bit the bullet and bought the entire DxO software catalog at 50% off as has been advertised. Just got them loaded onto my imaging computer and I am really impressed. I have Adobe CC so these will play nice when I need to include them in the workflow. Very impressed with the DeepPrime noise reduction which really helped on a couple of gymnastics photos that I had to bump up to ISO 12800 to get a high enough shutter speed.

Regards,

Edd
Edd- Do you have any experience with Topaz Denoise? I just downloaded the trial to work with while their sale is going on, and wondered how they might compare. I keep getting emails from DxO...

Welllll... the trial version allows all the features to be tested out but if you save anything it watermarks it. It would seem to be better to make it fully functional but have a reasonably short lockup date. Don't know that I'll play with it that much...

Last edited:

NACEOD

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rob
@John King, thanks for the thought.

Double vaxxed and boosted. No major issues, feels like the flu. No fever for a couple days. The rest of the family keeps testing negative so it looks like we made it.

I'm leaning towards keeping the 50-200 just for the extra reach like you mentioned.

I have the E-M1 and a new E-M1 MkIII. Next on the list is to do a focus calibration with the mkiii and 50-200.

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
@John King, thanks for the thought.

Double vaxxed and boosted. No major issues, feels like the flu. No fever for a couple days. The rest of the family keeps testing negative so it looks like we made it.
Great.
I'm leaning towards keeping the 50-200 just for the extra reach like you mentioned.

I have the E-M1 and a new E-M1 MkIII. Next on the list is to do a focus calibration with the mkiii and 50-200.
I think that's sensible, Rob. I still have both FTs 50-200 MkI and mFTs 75-300 MkII. Both excellent lenses, when I can hold them steady!

Roboticspro

Shepherding photons since the 50's
Good Morning,

Edd- Do you have any experience with Topaz Denoise? I just downloaded the trial to work with while their sale is going on, and wondered how they might compare. I keep getting emails from DxO...

Don, I have only used the DxO software originally suggested to me by another member on the forum. Between "Deeprime" for RAW files and the other add-ons that DxO offer, I went for the whole software suit. Not sure if everyone needs that but given the discounts and not needing another subscription, it works for me. I had downloaded the trial versions, which gave me a decent amount of time to work with and I felt, at least for me, the suite was a great addition to my imaging workstation. Hope that helps!

Attached is one of the images that the brewery owner wants for her office wall, website, and social media (before/after through PL5), taken with the Laowa 7.5mm f2 lens.

Regards,

Edd

Laowa 7.5mm f2-1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Laowa 7.5mm f2-1_Nik_DxO-AP1.jpg

Phil.H

Mu-43 All-Pro
You wrung a lot out of the E-M1. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the Mark III.
Thanks a lot Simon.
I have been using my Pen-F for my last few outings when the weather has been ok. I had to take the E-M1 out this morning due to the cold,wind and rain and the shutter stuck after almost every photo. I cannot wait to get my hands on the new camera and the 40-150 pro.

Phil.H

Mu-43 All-Pro
I picked up an Olympus 40-150 Pro last week.

JJC hood coming tomorrow.

The school district I teach in gave all staff that worked through the COVID mess an surprise bonus last week.
I have just ordered this Lens Rob. Can I ask why you have ordered the JJC hood, Didn't you get a lens hood with the lens?
I got the JJC hood for my Oly 75mm because that lens didn't come with a lens hood.

NACEOD

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rob
I have just ordered this Lens Rob. Can I ask why you have ordered the JJC hood, Didn't you get a lens hood with the lens?
I got the JJC hood for my Oly 75mm because that lens didn't come with a lens hood.
The 40-150 comes with very nice hood. Some users have had the sliding mechanism on it break though. I ordered the JJC to check it out and replace the Olympus hood for everyday use.

Last edited:
Real Name
Melissa
Good Evening,

I bit the bullet and bought the entire DxO software catalog at 50% off as has been advertised. Just got them loaded onto my imaging computer and I am really impressed. I have Adobe CC so these will play nice when I need to include them in the workflow. Very impressed with the DeepPrime noise reduction which really helped on a couple of gymnastics photos that I had to bump up to ISO 12800 to get a high enough shutter speed.

Regards,

Edd
DxO is fantastic. The plugins work great with Lr Classic. Enjoy!

NACEOD

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rob
Cheers Rob.
I wasn't aware of the flimsy Oly hood, I might get the JJC hood myself.
I should have explained it better. The Oly hood isn't flimsy at all. For some reason a few people have had their sliding mechanism break. In general I rarely use hoods. I ordered the JJC cause it's only $12.

This morning i was going through a parts box and found a short 72mm screw in hood. I think I'm going to leave it on most of the time for protection and to keep the lens cap from getting knocked off.

Attachments

• 20211126_113906_HDR-01.jpeg
    20211126_113906_HDR-01.jpeg
    198.7 KB · Views: 15

Phil.H

Mu-43 All-Pro
I should have explained it better. The Oly hood isn't flimsy at all. For some reason a few people have had their sliding mechanism break. In general I rarely use hoods. I ordered the JJC cause it's only $12.

This morning i was going through a parts box and found a short 72mm screw in hood. I think I'm going to leave it on most of the time for protection and to keep the lens cap from getting knocked off.
Having seen the price for the Oly hood I think it's worth getting another and leave the Oly hood in its box.

JensM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
As screename
Renewed the lapsed Topaz subscription on a black Friday deal, along with additional 15% off with a coupon, so set for another 12 months for 64 bucks.

Super-quick delivery on the GM5 from yesterday saw me collecting it today and the bag came with the mailman, so I am sorted for the weekend. Positively suprised with both buys, the bag came with the tags on, and the GM5 came along with a little "puck" pouch, containing the miniscule flash and yet another one of those OEM slings and the triangle sling mounts.

The flash was not mentioned in the add, hence the surprise.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Laowa 7.5/2 AE is on its way to me, fell for a Black Friday deal with 1700 SEK of.
I have wanted the 7.2/2 since it came out and was going to pull the trigger for it now with the BF deal, but then I saw the new version with Auto Exposure (Aperture) and took the bite.

Real Name
Andrew L
This little Olympus bag was on sale at a brick and mortar camera store for $15! A price so nice, I had to have it twice (got one for me, one for my wife). I don't use bags much (she does), but on occasion when I absolutely have to have a second camera or lens accessible, this will come in handy!

PXL_20211126_200709411~2.jpg

stevedo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
Having seen the price for the Oly hood I think it's worth getting another and leave the Oly hood in its box.
I've never really understood the mindset behind buying something and then hiding it in a drawer just in case it gets damaged!!!

My 40-150 PRO looks used and the lens hood has been rebuilt after it fell apart. Perhaps I should have purchased a far cheaper lens as well and kept the 40-150 PRO in pristine condition in its box :cool:

Roboticspro

Shepherding photons since the 50's
Laowa 7.5/2 AE is on its way to me, fell for a Black Friday deal with 1700 SEK of.
I have wanted the 7.2/2 since it came out and was going to pull the trigger for it now with the BF deal, but then I saw the new version with Auto Exposure (Aperture) and took the bite.
Bo,

You are going to enjoy that lens; sharp, small & light. The fact that it takes 46mm filters make life easier as their cost is less and that is a common size across MFT lenses. The big plus in your case is the ease of aperture adjustment from the camera controls side!

Regards,

Edd

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom