what photography related item did you buy this week?

Bought an Olympus 75-300 ii in used condition for a good price. Kind of on a whim and I hope to make good use of it on a vacation by the baltic sea, maybe catch some birds or even seals if I'm lucky.
Have to say I underestimated the size. I kind of assumed that it would be only a bit larger than the cheap 40-150R, since they have the same filter diameter, but it's at least 50% longer, much wider and almost twice the weight.
Okay, 300mm is kind of long so not sure what I expected.
That said, it's still 25% lighter than the Panny 100-300, and slightly shorter, while covering a wider range of focal lengths.
With the Panasonic lens, the built-in stabilizer was superior even to modern Olympus cameras with their powerful IBIS capabilities. That lens also features weather-sealing (at least on Panasonic cameras).
But this Olympus lens cost me a third less, while being a bit smaller and with a zoom ring that rotates the same way as on my other lenses.

Since Olympus woefully decided against including a hood with this lens, I purchased a gigantic lens hood, of the JJC brand. While I'm happy with their stuff generally, as it's usually less than half the price of the original accessories, this one is quite chunky, and doesn't really reverse properly. Not sure if something is wrong with it, but it seems stable when mounted the correct way, so I'll keep it (it was 15 bucks so hey).

We'll see if me and the 75-300mm will be the new romance or just a holiday fling. If it's the former, I'll keep it around for next spring and more birds here at home.
If the latter, it'll have to go by the end of the month. I'm really not a telephoto guy, so the cheap, small and lightweight 40-150R is a fine match except for its shorter reach.

Last edited:

Mountain_Man_79

Brannigan’s Law is like Brannigan’s love
Real Name
Chris
Well, the Sony a6500 and Canon M50 went back to the closet at work, for a bit of an upgrade...

First item, which I imagine I’ll be keeping for quite some time, is this lovely 58mm 1.4 lens that I currently have mounted to my Df.
48E960E8-B310-4B35-A87A-ED1643FB0099.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

A7865D57-8C61-4649-A2C1-86E94E182BD9.jpeg

Second, a Canon EOS R, with 24-105 and ef-rf ring adapter. I’ve long wanted some serious time with this camera, so hooray for now getting it.

And thirdly, I grabbed a Canon 80D with 18-135 lens. I was told not to bother bringing this one back when I was done with it. So welcome home I suppose 😀
B82A6A51-8B18-443F-85CE-8A46B614CEE8.jpeg

And of course, some extra batteries for both.

I‘d say this is a big trade up from my last “loaners”. I also just purchased a backpack shoulder mount for the GoPro I grabbed from the closet that doesn’t need to be returned.

I eyed up a bunch of Olympus TG6’s in there...that’ll probably be my next grab.

alex66

Mu-43 All-Pro
Well it was such a good price I could not resist so a Sony A3000 with kit lens is on the way, as I recall the VF is poor poor poor but the sensor is good. Also a 37mm to 40.5 filter thing to mount the B&W filter to a lens that does not has filter.

Shortsonfire79

Mu-43 Veteran
I saw this camera at a monthly antique market and fell in love. I couldn't find the cash to buy it on site and lucky for me the guy had it the month after. Wista Rosewood 45DX (rear standard shift, fixed bellows), Nikkor-SW 120 f/8, Symmar-S 210mm f/5.6. I've so far put 9 frames through it and am loving it!

Recently picked up a few more double dark slides from a Discord server. And I've graduated myself from bw Foma100 to C41 Ektar 100 and E6 Provia 100F. I've technically had it for a few weeks now. Idk why my images are inserting 90°.

PXL_20211013_001730917.jpg PA101802.JPG
PXL_20210905_203738518.NIGHT.jpg

Attachments

• PA101807.JPG
    PA101807.JPG
    262.8 KB · Views: 19

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Dad Pun Joke Master Over Nine Thousand Meme Lord
Real Name
Ovidiu
I saw this camera at a monthly antique market and fell in love. I couldn't find the cash to buy it on site and lucky for me the guy had it the month after. Wista Rosewood 45DX (rear standard shift, fixed bellows), Nikkor-SW 120 f/8, Symmar-S 210mm f/5.6. I've so far put 9 frames through it and am loving it!

Recently picked up a few more double dark slides from a Discord server. And I've graduated myself from bw Foma100 to C41 Ektar 100 and E6 Provia 100F. I've technically had it for a few weeks now. Idk why my images are inserting 90°.

View attachment 912572 View attachment 912576
View attachment 912575
Wow .. now that's a landscape dream setup ... If it comes with a Donkeeeeeyyyyyyyyy *insert Shrek scream*

Your images are inverted because the website infrastructure is having a drunk protest against vertically shot images on phones only ... Probably a TikTok thing, who knows what that is I'm to old to qualify for it.

Real Name
Glenn

Be very, very, on your toes careful about view cameras… they are more addictive than crack! SO much fun though and so worth going through all the patience and effort they require. If photography is all about the journey to you a view camera really is a golden ticket.

Mountain_Man_79

Brannigan’s Law is like Brannigan’s love
Real Name
Chris
I’m pretty sure he’s found the photographer’s equivalent to the wardrobe that leads to Narnia.
Definitely explains the half goat like man that lives in there who demands to be called Mr. Tumnis. But, he’s magical and gives me free cameras, so I’m not gonna argue.

Shortsonfire79

Mu-43 Veteran
Wow .. now that's a landscape dream setup ... If it comes with a Donkeeeeeyyyyyyyyy *insert Shrek scream*

Your images are inverted because the website infrastructure is having a drunk protest against vertically shot images on phones only ... Probably a TikTok thing, who knows what that is I'm to old to qualify for it.
Unfortunately... I'm the donkey. Going to bring it backpacking along with my 645 and m43 kit this weekend. Just a short test ~~run~~ slog.

Additionally, the two rotated images are from my Em1ii!

JensM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
As screename
I may have accidentally bought two more LX7s... But then again, three is a nice, round number... :whistling:

851_1524014851.jpg 180_1377234062.jpg
Pics from the ad.

Plus some accessories for them off the bay, as well as a Peak Design Field Pouch V1 in tan and slide lite in Sage.

Hopefully, the fellow nibbling on the GX8 ad bites, if so I will probably put the funds from that towards a 35-100 f:2.8 MkII I am sorely tempted by. Dont need it by far, but fancy it.

Last edited:

ektar

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Don
I’m catching up on this bad influence thread, so...
Regarding logos, I’ve always been sort of a contrarian, generally going for whatever wasn’t the “hot thing.” Probably why I shoot with Olympus, and earlier Pentax. As far as logos themselves, I am commonly guilty of not matching: Reebok socks with Adidas shoes and Nike shorts. But cover up or remove logos? Nah. Not worth the trouble, or the inevitable oddness of taped lettering or holes from removed plates. I just don’t care that much.
My Dad, OTOH, had a pathological dislike of logos. He turned the Canon strap over so the word didn’t show. But the self-punishing logo act was trying to remove the “Dockers” tag from a new pair of pants. He ended up with three holes ventilating his butt. My mother wore him out. I think I still have those...

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom