what photography related item did you buy this week?

Real Name
Walter
What lenses do you use it with?
I was thinking of one for my Oly 100-400 but when i turn it via the collar while not feeling rough, it does not feel like it was made to constantly turn between orientations

I watch videos of people turning their FF cameras and wonder if these expensive FF lenses are made better, and for constant turning between orientations

I use it mainly with my O100-400. I think the tripod ring revolves pretty smoothly. I don't tighten all the way, but leave it slightly loose, so I can adjust the horizontal or vertical alignment easily. I found that rubbing the inside of the ring or the barrel with some wax helps to smooth the movement. The tripod foot on the O100-400 is placed perfectly to keep the lens and camera balanced on the Monogimbal. I experimented with the O40-150 Pro. The OEM tripod foot for the latter isn't as well placed to balance on the gimbal, and it doesn't have Arca-Swiss flanges, but I found a Haoge replacement foot that works well and has A-S flanges. The foot on the Haoge is even reversible so one can balance this lens on the gimbal if you're using an EM5 or EM1. Can't reverse the foot when using an EM1X.

Here's a Flickr album of my experiments with the 40-150 f2.8 Pro and the Monogimbal.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/92624968@N02/3EE44f

The PL100-400 has a really smooth action on the tripod collar. It feels well-oiled. I never use it, though I sometimes play around with it.
I tried the Pany 100-400 once with the G9 and really liked it. Ended up not getting one because of the issues they were having at the time that I gather are now fix. [Apart from not being able to get them repaired after warranty in Australia.]

But having said that if when I retire in a year or so if I take up birding I will probably get one and a G9 as the combo just worked so well together. I hate to say but to me better than my EM1.3 and Oly 100-400.
I found the combination so easy to hold with the dual IS that I never had to think about it.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
I tried the Pany 100-400 once with the G9 and really liked it. Ended up not getting one because of the issues they were having at the time that I gather are now fix. [Apart from not being able to get them repaired after warranty in Australia.]

But having said that if when I retire in a year or so if I take up birding I will probably get one and a G9 as the combo just worked so well together. I hate to say but to me better than my EM1.3 and Oly 100-400.
I found the combination so easy to hold with the dual IS that I never had to think about it.
The G9 and PL100-400 might just be my favorite body/lens combo. A little heavy, but handles really well.

NACEOD

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rob
Promaster 7671 l-bracket grip adapter for an E-M1 MkIII. Much more comfortable to use wit the Olympus 50-200 SWD.

PeeBee

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Yesterday whilst grocery shopping we bought a fresh bottle of whisky........

Today I woke up with a headache and a confirmation email for my Oly 75mm toneh 1.8 order :whistling:

JensM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
As screename
Grabbed a Lumix LF-1 for approx. $70 off the local classifieds, have been curious about that for some time and I fancy the tiny form-factor paired with a LVF, however measly the latter one is.

I have both a Canon S95 and a S120 for the ultra-compact EDC segment, the S95 I dont like the output from, the S120 is good but I will lack a ultra-compact sans LVF no more! :drinks:

Photo from the ad.

LF1 1.jpg

BruceRH

Mu-43 Regular
What lenses do you use it with?
I was thinking of one for my Oly 100-400 but when i turn it via the collar while not feeling rough, it does not feel like it was made to constantly turn between orientations

I watch videos of people turning their FF cameras and wonder if these expensive FF lenses are made better, and for constant turning between orientations
I bought the Wimberley mainly for my Sony 200-600, it is heavier than the Olympus 100-400 and for a day of shooting, I think it will help. I mainly like to shoot handheld and using a monopod is something I will need to get used to.

I put the lens foot on my 100-400 today (I usually just have the decorative ing on it) and attached it to the Wimberley, it worked perfectly. The 200-600 tripod collar is smoother than the Olympus 100-400 but the rotation of the Olympus collar works just fine with the mono head. I would not have any concerns using it like this, it is just a different implementation between Sony and Olympus. The Olympus collar can be completely removed unlike the Sony which accounts for the difference in design and feel.

PeeBee

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Yesterday whilst grocery shopping we bought a fresh bottle of whisky........

Today I woke up with a headache and a confirmation email for my Oly 75mm toneh 1.8 order :whistling:

The Oly 75mm has arrived earlier than expected. I ordered it close to midnight on Friday expecting it to arrive tomorrow, but then I received a text message this morning saying it would be here around lunch time. First impressions are that it's nicely made and optically very good. AF isn't quite as quick or silent as some of my later designed lenses, but hopefully it will be good enough.

Since it was an expensive 'impulse' purchase, followed by an equally expensive outing to the opticians yesterday, I've suggested that the wife can give it to me for Christmas this year, so after some initial testing, it'll be going back in the box and sent off to Santa.

EM120642.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
Well ...

Not exactly this week, and

Not apparently directly photography related ...

BUT,

1) 8kW solar panel plant, and

2) electric swimming pool cover, and

3) 4.4 kW input/21 kW output pool heater (and cooler).

Now, photographic relevance ...

My general fitness is pretty cactus.

Because of my various health issues, load bearing exercise is not very good for me, and the pool needs to be above 23°C for me to use (Raynaud's disease). Can't use public pools because of chlorine.

So now I can do all sorts of hydrotherapy exercises when the pool is warm enough (mostly, after initial heating of 45m^3 of water). First use was day before yesterday, and already helping my flexibility enough to notice!

SO (TLDR) increased stamina and flexibility will greatly help me continue with my photography.

And I like swimming ... ;) .

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
I forgot the obligatory photos ...

IMG_20210929_123525.jpg
IMG_20210929_123440.jpg

IMG_20210929_122922.jpg
IMG_20210929_122851.jpg

As the forum software has well known difficulties with image rotation tags, just imagine that these are the right way up ... :rofl: .

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Dad Pun Joke Master Over Nine Thousand Meme Lord
Real Name
Ovidiu

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
I forgot the obligatory photos ...

View attachment 912202 View attachment 912203
View attachment 912204 View attachment 912205

As the forum software has well known difficulties with image rotation tags, just imagine that these are the right way up ... :rofl: .
I recommend removing the pool cover before swimming.
I’m just coming to use your pool, John.
I believe he also backs to a really nice golf course, so don’t forget your clubs!

SVQuant

Shooting by numbers
Real Name
Sameer
Another grip for my Pen-F. Have not exactly gotten along with thr JB Camera grip (which is beautiful and elegant).
Didn't like the handling of the grip, so it has been replaced with a PU half case. The JB grip is still around.

20211012_104457.jpg

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike
I got (arrived this week, purchased previously) the TTartisan 40mm macro. Wanted a macro but didn't want to spend much on something I won't use that much. It's like $100 on aliexpress.

https://en.ttartisan.com/?list_10/129.html

Have a couple of quick coin shots. Handheld with flash, probably not focused right. I don't think aperture was actually f/2.8, probably stopped down?

PA122221_DPp.jpg

Attachments

• PA122224_DPp.jpg
    PA122224_DPp.jpg
    538.3 KB · Views: 7

Vermont3133

A New Lens Will Fix It!
A Pana 12-35mm [late V1]
A reasonable price and looks good on Ebay...time will tell of course but the seller seems genuine.
This will replace two lenses on my EM5 ii....Pana 14-42mm ii [good little plastic fantastic lens but I'll be severely p****d off if I don't get better output from the 12-35] and a PL15mm.....nice, very nice but something of an expensive one trick pony and not quite wide enough for me.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom