what photography related item did you buy this week?

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
Ashamed to own Olympus? :shakehead:
far from it
But so far I pretty much have removed all the branding from the items I own, that I have paid with my money.
So, there is no telling what skis I use, what car I drive, what mountain bike I ride... you get my drift ;)

My "other" camera
51561183144_88e4867915_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Yashi 40_1.7_1 by gnarlydog, on Flickr

I am happy to show the brand that gives me items to review (and then keep) but I won't be a shill for them when I paid for it.
No, you wan't see me sporting those stupid wide CaNikpus camera straps either anytime soon :laugh1:
Low profile is my style and the less assuming I am perceived the better I blend in the crowd. No need to scream "look-at-me" with my camera gear :)

Last edited:

JensM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
As screename
Bought a second hand PZ45-175 off the local classifieds for $180 sans lens hood, which leaves me with very, very little to fancy getting in the lens line-up now, its just the PL 25 f:1.4 and the PL100-400 left. :O

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
far from it
But so far I pretty much have removed all the branding from the items I own, that I have paid with my money.
So, there is no telling what skis I use, what car I drive, what mountain bike I ride... you get my drift ;)

My "other" camera
View attachment 911302 Yashi 40_1.7_1 by gnarlydog, on Flickr

I am happy to show the brand that gives me items to review (and then keep) but I won't be a shill for them when I paid for it.
No, you wan't see me sporting those stupid wide CaNikpus camera straps either anytime soon :laugh1:
Low profile is my style and the less assuming I am perceived the better I blend in the crowd. No need to scream "look-at-me" with my camera gear :)
Yes, there is certainly a fanaticism that gets assumed on us whenever we buy pretty much anything now. Your car has branding all over it, and really that’s just for the benefit of the automaker as you drive it around. Now anyone else who takes an interest in your car now knows what it is and how to go look into it. Sure, it might help you find it in a parking lot, or help ID it in an accident, but there are other means to do both. As I look back as a kid of the 80s, it was amazing just how much of this marketing really emerged and that it was even aimed at kids. It’s been around us so long that we don’t even notice how inundated we are with advertising anymore.

The funny part is, so many of the brands that were popular when I was going through school are now junk brands. They started out high quality, but that declined as they worked their way to the masses, only to have a new “high quality” brand emerge and start the process all over again.

The Electric Squirrel

Mu-43 Regular
This is such a cheap hobby... I went and switched my FF setup from Canon EOS R to a Sony system. So:

• Sony a7R III body
  • Samyang 45/1.8 AF
  • Samyang 35/1.8 AF
  • Samyang 75/1.8 AF
  • Tamron 17-28 f/2.8 RXD
  • Sony 24-105 f/4 G OSS
  • Sigma 100-400 f/5-6.3 DG DN OS
I've spent waaay too much on gear this year...

BruceRH

Mu-43 Regular
I bought the Wimberley MH-100 and the RRS B2-LR II 60MM Lever Release Clamp for my monopod. I also bought the RRS bottom plate for my A7Riv. I had a Fittest plate on it but I was not happy with the fit, it has a tendency to move a bit where the RRS plate is solid.

I mainly want to use the Wimberley for the Sony 200-600. Hand holding that lens is fine but I am thinking it would be nice to have at air shows. We shall see.

B02A58D2-4E6F-4FB7-AD36-3473F498083C.jpeg

sinzen

Mu-43 Rookie
Scored a second lens originally designed for the Braun Paxette line of cameras from way back in the day. Isco-Gottingen 35/3.5 Westron. Had to use a 16mm extension tube to achieve proper focus.
3C7A46E1-B3D6-44D0-B843-47E3C9D4C6D9.jpeg

EA696234-6C89-4ECB-BBFB-286AF211A4C8.jpeg

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
Haha, I have literarily just did that on my both Sony cameras minutes before opening this thread to "read the news". But, at least on Sony's, that logo really SCREAMS!!!!!
I hope you are compensating with one of these straps? 😅

15531422047_84544e05d6_c.jpg
Sony Alpha 200 by Welly Sermiento, on Flickr

ivanbae07

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
I.B.
bought some lens from the old exa's kilfitt, a schacht and steinheil, a deal that i cannot resisted for a bulk buy... the down side? all of them needs cla -__-'

not really a photography related, but sometimes i've been using it for photography (just for fun), second hand tokina vista's 18mm, 25mm, and 105mm, to acompany my tokia vista 40mm

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I was gifted a Panasonic GF1 here earlier this year and while it was fun to play with, lack of an EVF was intolerable to me. So I re-gifted it to someone else here and because I liked having the small camera in my work bag every day, I bought an E-PM2 for $98 from MPB (shown below with the Panasonic 14 f2.5 mounted). At first I was looking at E-M10.1s but then remembered I already had the VF-3 for my IR converted E-P2 so this was a much cheaper option. Only issue I have found with it so far (just got it today) is time & date reset when the battery is removed. Maybe leaving the battery in for a while will renew what is likely a capacitor for retaining that memory but if not, resetting time & date a couple times a week isn't a huge hassle (just a little one).

2021-10-07 19.47.35.jpg

Real Name
Glenn
I was gifted a Panasonic GF1 here earlier this year and while it was fun to play with, lack of an EVF was intolerable to me. So I re-gifted it to someone else here and because I liked having the small camera in my work bag every day, I bought an E-PM2 for $98 from MPB (shown below with the Panasonic 14 f2.5 mounted). At first I was looking at E-M10.1s but then remembered I already had the VF-3 for my IR converted E-P2 so this was a much cheaper option. Only issue I have found with it so far (just got it today) is time & date reset when the battery is removed. Maybe leaving the battery in for a while will renew what is likely a capacitor for retaining that memory but if not, resetting time & date a couple times a week isn't a huge hassle (just a little one).

View attachment 911427
Welcome to the dark side…;) I am loving my E-PM2 and find it ridiculously easy to have with me all the time. So much so that my other gear has been getting ignored lately. Mine sat around for a while with no battery in it and forgot the date/time as well. Funny thing is all my other settings stayed put. Found that a little odd. Leave a fully charged battery in it for a few days and it will probably quite doing it like mine did.

I do have a E-PM1 that lives in my car console and always drops the date when I change batteries. That one seems to be permanent though.

Good luck and hope you enjoy it!

Real Name
Walter
I bought the Wimberley MH-100 and the RRS B2-LR II 60MM Lever Release Clamp for my monopod. I also bought the RRS bottom plate for my A7Riv. I had a Fittest plate on it but I was not happy with the fit, it has a tendency to move a bit where the RRS plate is solid.

I mainly want to use the Wimberley for the Sony 200-600. Hand holding that lens is fine but I am thinking it would be nice to have at air shows. We shall see.

View attachment 911377

I have the Monogimbal too. Love it. Works best if the lens's tripod foot has Arca-Swiss flanges and rotates.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Welcome to the dark side…;) I am loving my E-PM2 and find it ridiculously easy to have with me all the time. So much so that my other gear has been getting ignored lately. Mine sat around for a while with no battery in it and forgot the date/time as well. Funny thing is all my other settings stayed put. Found that a little odd. Leave a fully charged battery in it for a few days and it will probably quite doing it like mine did.

I do have a E-PM1 that lives in my car console and always drops the date when I change batteries. That one seems to be permanent though.

Good luck and hope you enjoy it!
I am hoping maybe after I run through this battery and it has been in the camera for days maybe the battery or capacitor (not sure which this model uses as Oly has used either in the past) will rejuvenate and I will be all set. The optimist in me says it just sat without a batter for too long as MPB an just needs time to recharge. The pessimist in me says Ya right, that ain't gonna happen, get used to resetting date & time every battery change.

I am pleasantly surprised with the buttons on this one. I know with the PM1 the lack of direct access to many settings was a common complaint and Oly seems to have done better on this one with most of the things I would need to have direct access in a carry around camera all have a button. So I don't think I will need to menu dive much. I typically shoot all the time in Aperture Priority mode so no mode dial is no problem.

It is a cute and light little camera. Now it makes me wish my IR converted E-P2 was this model. Something to think about doing! Hmmmm....

Real Name
Walter

View attachment 911427
I read somewhere that the capacitor that's supposed to hold a charge to save the date and time eventually goes bad and replacing it requires an expensive trip to the shop. So, when I owned a PM2, I was resigned to resetting the date and time every time I changed the battery. I eventually sold the PM2s (I had two at different times). Oddly, I've never had an OMD forget the date and time when changing batteries. Only the PM2.

Real Name
Glenn
I shoot all different platforms and used to almost always shoot aperture priority but having to remember buttons and menus for everything I just started shooting all manual. Long as I can find the shutter speed and aperture I’m good. The jog wheel is the only thing I really have to fool with. Easy easy.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I read somewhere that the capacitor that's supposed to hold a charge to save the date and time eventually goes bad and replacing it requires an expensive trip to the shop.
Yes, a long time ago when I shot with an Olympus C-770UZ (p&s super zoom), that model used a super capacitor and it wasn't uncommon for it to go bad. To be ready I had ordered some through my work when ordering other electrical components. My 770, fortunately, never suffered that problem, but through a couple "770" email lists I belonged to at the time, I did send many out to various people for the cost of postage for them to replace their failed caps.

I have the Monogimbal too. Love it. Works best if the lens's tripod foot has Arca-Swiss flanges and rotates.
What lenses do you use it with?
I was thinking of one for my Oly 100-400 but when i turn it via the collar while not feeling rough, it does not feel like it was made to constantly turn between orientations

I watch videos of people turning their FF cameras and wonder if these expensive FF lenses are made better, and for constant turning between orientations

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
What lenses do you use it with?
I was thinking of one for my Oly 100-400 but when i turn it via the collar while not feeling rough, it does not feel like it was made to constantly turn between orientations

I watch videos of people turning their FF cameras and wonder if these expensive FF lenses are made better, and for constant turning between orientations
The PL100-400 has a really smooth action on the tripod collar. It feels well-oiled. I never use it, though I sometimes play around with it.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom