what photography related item did you buy this week?

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
Wow, you weren't kidding around when you were pondering a fast lens. Jumping into the deep end with that one. I'm looking forward to your impressions of it when it arrives.

- K
Yeah, I'm still in shock doing it. Damn holiday and them closing up until October pushed me.

I was out with the only fast lens I have which is the Olympus 45mm f/1.2 Pro and it wasn't fast enough for 1/32,000 in sunlight for ISO 200. I had to raise it to ISO 500 and suffer to keep the 1/32,000 and f/1.2. Maybe f/0.8 will be good and fast enough.

Least it takes same 62mm filter size as the Olympus - which means I can ND the fast bugger down 15 stops if I need too. :laugh1:

jhawk1000

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mel
Much like cameras, I can not seem to let go of old stereo equipment. I have a lovely Marantz 2265, a Denon receiver, an Onkyo, a Pioneer SX, a few cassette tape players/recorders, vintage speakers including huge Polk SDAs, Snell and other lesser ones. I still have the Denon and Onkyo hooked up to the SDA speakers and Snell. I probably will get rid of them when they can pry the woofers off of my ears. The Marantz is great but I am saving it for my family.

A Panasonic 14-140 f/3.5-5.6 ii, purchased from a member here.

Because the (otherwise wonderful) Olympus 12-100 f/4 Pro is just too heavy for me to carry all day and enjoy it. Quite a step back but I am excited about the weight loss.
I have both lenses and the 14-140 is not that far behind and you will like the extra reach.
The extra 40mm really helps with isolating your subject

phigmov

Probably Not Walter Kernow
Picked up an old GH3 to experiment with as a webcam - goes into a usb hdmi capture-card. Previously my most recent Panasonic was the G3 so its interesting to see the interface refinement and additional buttons/controls. Will see how workable this combo is.

51491196089_7bc0878ec6_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
P9190003 by Walter Kernow, on Flickr

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
In posting #12,201, I mentioned buying a MyPin version of the Ezcap 273 HTML recorder. I was just playing with it, and I discovered if I was recording something with HDMI from my E-m1 mark II (specifically my TV playing something via my Roku streaming device) that there would very loud feedback. By plugging 3.5mm TRS cables into both the headphone and microphone jacks, I was able to eliminate the feedback. Note, I didn't actually attach headphones/microphone, just put a plug in the socket.

The device emits the sound from the HDMI stream to its speakers, that causes the feedback. By attaching cables to the microphone and headset ports, the device uses those devices instead of the built-in speakers and microphone. Why there isn't a menu for disabling using built-in speakers and microphone, I don't know.

Also in terms of forgotten things in the menu, there isn't an option for whether to export the filesystem to a PC or to charge the device. You have to turn off the device and connect it. If you connect it to a computer, it will export a filesystem, and if you connect it to a battery charger it charges the internal battery.

Last edited:

Zman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
A Pentax 28mm f3.5 K lens. Stumbled across some images on Flickr taken with this lens and a Sony A7, and my GAS took the better of me. Just delivered today and hoping to give it a little workout this week.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'd love to find some straps that work with my PD connectors. I can do an eBay search, but you mention a code. Is that something you could share? :)

You can use many different straps, via the strap adapter.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F94FQRB/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_3?smid=A218OXJPL4Z4AC&psc=1
Unfortunately, you are also buying four anchors, which you probably don't need. So the effective price of the adapter is $20 for the pair.

That is what is holding me back from a dual camera harness. I would need two of those adapter kits, for $40, on top of the cost of the harness. OUCH. I just want the blasted adapters, not the anchors.

Last edited:

jdcope

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jon
I picked up a circular polarizer for my recently acquired Oly 9-18. With so many options out there, it was quite daunting to decide on one. I decided on a Kenko I found on ebay. Hopefully its a good one.

SVQuant

Shooting by numbers
Real Name
Sameer
Picked up a silver E-M5.2 off eBay to upgrade my E-M10.1. Was keen to have a smaller weather-sealed body which I can share with my 10yo. I am reviewing all my gear and assuming all is good with this camera, I will likely sell a couple of older bodies and lenses.

My first photo related purchase since November 2019. It's almost like I don't know who I am any more.

[EDIT] So I lied, April 2020!

Last edited:
Dji mavic mini 2 at the photography show in the UK. Tried to get a 8-25, but none in stock anywhere. As an aside the number of exhibitors was way down on the last show in 2019, no Panasonic stand at all! Decent Olympus stand. Even the main vendors were not selling any Panasonic (except FF and GH5.2), not sure what this says about them and the UK market.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Dad Pun Joke Master Over Nine Thousand Meme Lord
Real Name
Ovidiu
They are finally here, K&F Concept Carbon Tripod:
20210922_122059.jpg

Only 100£ after discounts, the build quality seems okayu, the orange metal parts feel not that great, light density aluminium parts I think and they won't last for very long, maybe a few years. The legs are carbon fiber though they are scratched in places straight out of the box. I would have preferred clamps on the leg extension instead of twist and lock but those were out of my budget, the twisting works smoothly and easily. At this price I'm not surprised to notice that there are no spike feet included but they rubber feet are screw-in removable at least. It comes with a very compact ball head that seems to work quite smoothly and Arca Swiss plate compatible and 2 of them included in the box, one is Transformers style convertible to clamp on smartphones and mount on the tripod (nifty) and it's made of solid aluminium so I don't think it will break anytime soon. The normal plate is a bit more Spartan but both have fingers locking mechanism (instead of coin or hex type). At the moment it sits mounted with a cheap Fluid Pan Head that a friend gave it to me a few years ago.

20210922_121921.jpg

And a K&F Concept M42 to Sony E mount adapter, it's very solidly built, very beautiful and colour matching orange ring with the camera mount. It has flat side on each 90 degree location which makes it easy to grab on to for mounting and unmounting. The weight is heavier from other, cheaper, adapters and it does make the lenses a bitore front heavy. The out of box mounting screw is upside down, meaning the lenses markings and aperture control end up on the bottom, but it's easily fixable, mark the bottom side of the inner (silver coloured) screw-in mount with a marker (for point of reference) with a dot or line, unscrew the 4 tiny hex 1.3 size screw on each side and spin the mount about 135 degrees (literally move the mark you made to the top left screw whole) and thight in the screw. Careful with the tightening because they feel a bit cheap and I have a feeling that the head can snap off. Now the lens aperture window is right on top.

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
This lens showed up today. Been using on the E-M1 Mark I full-spectrum IR camera to see if it won't do the "Hot Spot" thing. Seems to be free of "Hot Spots" up to f/8, and then they are very faint beyond that but usable.

It showed up with a lot of dust on the box. Took a damp towel and washed it off.. No silica gel in the box either which seems to be standard with most NEW lenses. One box edge is turned up so this may be a returned lens or demo'd. Dunno, but it seems to be working good so far. Heavy? YES!

Reminds me of the old Pentax Takumars with the scalloped metal focus rings. Their focus dampening grease is smooth and tight.

I thought it was supposed to be able to be de-clicked on the aperture ring somehow for video, but I haven't figured that out yet, and their instructions are a minimal fold-out bit of paper. At first I didn't see any lens hood ("How could they be so cheap not to include one for this $1,800 lens!?!" 😡 ) so I used a step-up ring (62>72mm) and a rubber lens hood. However, later I found its metal hood stuck up under the top foam in the box (duh!).

Focus throw is long, but with camera's Focus Peaking turned on, it really does snap into focus easy being that the DOF is so shallow at f/0.8. The yellow focus peaking line is so thin you can watch it pass over the subject easily.

Here it is on my freshly washed sleeping bag that still smells like a wet duck even after 4 days of air drying and spinning it in a dryer both.
Voigtlander-29mm.jpg

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
They are finally here, K&F Concept Carbon Tripod:
View attachment 908911
Only 100£ after discounts, the build quality seems okayu, the orange metal parts feel not that great, light density aluminium parts I think and they won't last for very long, maybe a few years. The legs are carbon fiber though they are scratched in places straight out of the box. I would have preferred clamps on the leg extension instead of twist and lock but those were out of my budget, the twisting works smoothly and easily. At this price I'm not surprised to notice that there are no spike feet included but they rubber feet are screw-in removable at least. It comes with a very compact ball head that seems to work quite smoothly and Arca Swiss plate compatible and 2 of them included in the box, one is Transformers style convertible to clamp on smartphones and mount on the tripod (nifty) and it's made of solid aluminium so I don't think it will break anytime soon. The normal plate is a bit more Spartan but both have fingers locking mechanism (instead of coin or hex type). At the moment it sits mounted with a cheap Fluid Pan Head that a friend gave it to me a few years ago.

View attachment 908912
And a K&F Concept M42 to Sony E mount adapter, it's very solidly built, very beautiful and colour matching orange ring with the camera mount. It has flat side on each 90 degree location which makes it easy to grab on to for mounting and unmounting. The weight is heavier from other, cheaper, adapters and it does make the lenses a bitore front heavy. The out of box mounting screw is upside down, meaning the lenses markings and aperture control end up on the bottom, but it's easily fixable, mark the bottom side of the inner (silver coloured) screw-in mount with a marker (for point of reference) with a dot or line, unscrew the 4 tiny hex 1.3 size screw on each side and spin the mount about 135 degrees (literally move the mark you made to the top left screw whole) and thight in the screw. Careful with the tightening because they feel a bit cheap and I have a feeling that the head can snap off. Now the lens aperture window is right on top.
Those tripods that stick to walls are really hard to find!

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Dad Pun Joke Master Over Nine Thousand Meme Lord
Real Name
Ovidiu
Those tripods that stick to walls are really hard to find!
It's cheaper to just get a sticky wall and put stuff on them ... sorry about the picture, the website likes to put my verticle phone shots horizontally .... bloody Matrix is back :p (the tripod is actually sitting on top of my camera storage box on top of my desk ... call it camera-storage-box-desk-sception)

JensM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
As screename
Bought a second hand P42.5 f:1,7 yesterday, New in box was the moniker, and I think it is reasonable right. Have been eyeing those for a while. Not that I am dissatisfied with the Oly 45 when I use it, which I seldom do, but having built a collection of old un-stabilised Pana houses over the last year, it seemed fitting to pick up a portrait lens with stabilisation. The Oly 45 is off to the market place in a little while, probably leaving me about $90 out of pocket for the upgrade.

Is it worth it? Most likely not, based on the very seldom usage of the Oly, but couldnt really resist. The Oly lenses I have had seems to be replaced with their Lumix counterparts at a speed. certain speed.

Only planned Oly keeper are the 60 mm Macro, mostly based on a recipe for doing repro work with it as a core item.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom