what photography related item did you buy this week?

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Well, I bought more stuff for video this week. Now to be honest, a lot of it is retail therapy to combat boredom from being stuck at home due to Covid and a medical condition that has me kept at home and not taking pictures and video out with people at events.

The main purchase was a HDMI external recorder (generic version of ezcap 273). The idea is to bypass the E-m1 mark II 30 minute recording limit, and record video via the external HDMI channel. Now, in one sense, this is fighting a problem that I already have a solution for since I have the modified firmware available elsewhere in this forum that pushes back the limit. However I tend to prefer using official firmware.

The model I got has a display on it. The cheaper models don't have a screen, so if you are recording live video, you have no idea if things are recording. But it likely isn't to the level of something like an Atmos recorder/monitor comination. While I likely will use a USB battery pack to provide extra power, it is nice that if the plug falls out, it can continue recording. Also, if I wanted to show people a selection of the recorded video, it should be easy to use the built-in screen.

The recorder also has a battery built-in. While the quoted life time (1.5 hours of recording) is low for the few times I do recording, it is nice to have it as a backup in case the power wires from my USB powerbank come out.

Recording is limited to 1080p at 60fps. I don't do 4K recording right now, so this should be fine. In the past, I typically used 1080p at 30fps on my G85, but all 3 of the cameras I might record video with (G85, E-m5 mark III, and E-m1 mark II) can do 1080p at 60fps. It will be interesting to see the quality of the recording with the in camera recording compared to the recorder, comparing both size of the MOV/MP4 files and what they look like on my system. In theory, it will get here are on Saturday.

Now, I will admit that for video alone, it would have been better to go with the Panasonic GH5 mark II rather than trying various things to overcome the limits of the Olympus cameras that are not an issue with the GH5 mark II (no headphone jack in the E-m5 mark III, various adaptions to externally power the Olympus cameras, and dealing with the 30 minute record limit). But frankly, I'm a died in the wool Olympus user, and I really prefer the Olympus method of doing things over Panasonic. If I shot video all of the time, then it would have been a more clear cut answer to go with Panasonic.

The other purchase was a wireless shutter release (Pixel TW-283) and some cables to allow me to use it on my main cameras. In addition to being a normal wireless shutter release it has interval support. I wanted to test all of the different recording modes, comparing say 10 minutes of video, to see exactly how big the files are for each mode. I did this before just by pressing the shutter, but I want to be more precise, and make each video to be the same time. While ultimately, I expect that I will stay at 1080p, I've been curious how much the 4K/C4K videos would cost me, and the trade-offs in 1080p at SF/F/N recording levels.

Two nice things about the Pixel compared to some other shutter releases I've had in the past are: 1) it takes standard AAA batteries in both receiver and transmitter; and 2) I can change out the cables to connect to different cameras.

I also bought a 3.5mm -> 2.5mm TRS cable to go from the Pixel to the Olympus E-m1 mark II and E-m5 mark III without using an adapter, and I also bought a cable that will allow me to connect the G85. I already have cables for the older Olympus cameras, but frankly, I'm not expecting to use them that much any more.

Edit.
I forgot that I also bought some more smallrig coldshoe ballhead mounts, to be able to mount microphones and other stuff on the camera.

Last edited:
From CartesianCreationsAU via ETSY

https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/778722352/similar?ref=listings_2&from_external=1

The battery boxes are a perfect fit and the finish for a printed item is excellent could not ask for a better product. I purchased a few of these. Both inside and out are smooth.
Battery box.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The diffuser is also very well made. It attaches via the hood bayonet, fit and finish perfect for my needs and unlike a JJC hood for the 60mm macro this one goes on like buttter. Hopefully test it soon. The diffuser material is about 5 or 6mm thick with a textured surface and is held on by magnets so it will not break your camera if you bump into something with it.
diffuser.jpg

Last item is a cover for when you take the tripod foot off the 40-150 f2.8 pro.
Have not tried this, probably dont need it but thought why not when getting the other items
Dress ring.jpg

The fit and finish of these items is very good. I presume the 40-150 dress cover will be as good as the other items.
If it is not I will amend this post

jimr.pdx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim R
Beware, Jim. I recently decided to "dip my toes" into Fuji and I'm quickly up to my ankles (if not knees).

- K
Understandable - I bucked their X-trans retro-trendy marketing and still fell into the trap :doh:
A 15-45 is coming soon after the camera, plus a PK adapter for my old 70-150/4 Rikenon.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
Understandable - I bucked their X-trans retro-trendy marketing and still fell into the trap :doh:
A 15-45 is coming soon after the camera, plus a PK adapter for my old 70-150/4 Rikenon.
See, I'm the opposite. I bought into that X-Trans hype and retro-trendy is right in my wheelhouse. If I was even remotely hip, I guess maybe I'd be a hipster.

Since I bought the X-H1 a few months back, I've accumulated the 15-45 (plastic-y, but quite decent and dirt cheap), the Fuji 27mm pancake (a virtual clone of the Panasonic 20mm, right down to the noisy and somewhat slow focus), a 35mm f/0.95 Mitakon, a 50mm 1.4 TTArtisan and the Fuji 56mm f/1.2. And yesterday, an X-M1 showed up on my doorstep. GAS is real. :redface:

- K

Mountain_Man_79

Brannigan’s Law is like Brannigan’s love
Real Name
Chris
I grabbed a great condition vertical battery grip for my brand new (literally) Canon D30, which I plan to take out someplace this weekend to have some fun with. Also got 3 generic batteries to add to the stock battery, which functions like it’s never been used. Excellent for still being a 21 year old battery!
6133718A-7881-4830-8860-B632910F5CF2.jpeg

7501779A-D0C8-45C6-B17A-C1AAE83BAC44.jpeg

Lupin 3rd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
E-M1 mk II. For some reason still on firmware 1.3 … :hmmm:

D0DEC07A-AB74-42F6-806A-11146A2DC85E.jpeg

It will replace my faithful E-M5ii and E-M1. It seems like they are approaching their last shutter actuations (46283 and 60666 respectively): the 5 started randomly freezing when powered on and the 1‘s lcd no longer works.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
See, I'm the opposite. I bought into that X-Trans hype and retro-trendy is right in my wheelhouse. If I was even remotely hip, I guess maybe I'd be a hipster.

Since I bought the X-H1 a few months back, I've accumulated the 15-45 (plastic-y, but quite decent and dirt cheap), the Fuji 27mm pancake (a virtual clone of the Panasonic 20mm, right down to the noisy and somewhat slow focus), a 35mm f/0.95 Mitakon, a 50mm 1.4 TTArtisan and the Fuji 56mm f/1.2. And yesterday, an X-M1 showed up on my doorstep. GAS is real. :redface:

- K
I wondered how you’d been getting along with it. I’ve seen a few folks in this forum talk about trying Fuji, but usually nothing conclusive for follow up. The X-H1 looks like the G9’s brother, and that 75-300 looks very tempting for my use cases. Still not ready to jump elsewhere though.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
I wondered how you’d been getting along with it. I’ve seen a few folks in this forum talk about trying Fuji, but usually nothing conclusive for follow up. The X-H1 looks like the G9’s brother, and that 75-300 looks very tempting for my use cases. Still not ready to jump elsewhere though.
Yeah, I haven't really formed a solid opinion. Now that I've got a decent selection of lenses (including a couple with AF) I feel like I can really make a judgement. Unfortunately, work and other things have kept me busy enough to prevent me having the time I'd like shoot (but somehow not so busy I can't shop for "bargains").

I'll try to post some more thorough thoughts sometime soon. For now, I'll give you my first impressions of the X-M1. All in all, I'm underwhelmed. I thought it might be the Fuji equivalent of the Panasonic GM1/5, but instead it really reminds me more of something in the Olympus E-PL5/6 range. Which is to say, it feels a bit plastic-y and cheap and also it's a bit too big to really be considered "small". I'm not sure it's a keeper, but at least I bought it cheap enough that I won't get hurt on it.

- K

Last edited:
Real Name
Butch Oakey
I grabbed a great condition vertical battery grip for my brand new (literally) Canon D30, which I plan to take out someplace this weekend to have some fun with. Also got 3 generic batteries to add to the stock battery, which functions like it’s never been used. Excellent for still being a 21 year old battery!
View attachment 908027
View attachment 908028
What kind of receiver is being shown in the display in the second picture? Really like the older stereo equipment better than the new stuff, especially like the silver ones.

Mountain_Man_79

Brannigan’s Law is like Brannigan’s love
Real Name
Chris
What kind of receiver is being shown in the display in the second picture? Really like the older stereo equipment better than the new stuff, especially like the silver ones.
Hey Butch - it’s a Sherwood S-7100A. I had one for many years when I was younger, and had fond memories of it. It eventually died on me. A few years ago I found one and picked it up for my office. I have a Bluetooth adapter plugged into the back and I stream from my phone while I work. I’ve been enjoying it, and it’s amazing how familiar everything is on it.
4D0E0C85-4622-476F-A979-46B0CEDCD0A7.png

Real Name
Butch Oakey
Hey Butch - it’s a Sherwood S-7100A. I had one for many years when I was younger, and had fond memories of it. It eventually died on me. A few years ago I found one and picked it up for my office. I have a Bluetooth adapter plugged into the back and I stream from my phone while I work. I’ve been enjoying it, and it’s amazing how familiar everything is on it.
View attachment 908090
Nice! Sherwood made good stuff, sure glad you were able to find one. I have a Kenwood KR-80 in my room and it really sounds good. Thanks for the memories.

ektar

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Don
Beware, Jim. I recently decided to "dip my toes" into Fuji and I'm quickly up to my ankles (if not knees).

- K
Same thing happened to me when I idly looked for a Pentax body for my MF Pentax lenses.

Mountain_Man_79 said:

Yeah, finding a 20D in the “junk bin” at the local shop led to “dipping my toes” into Canon too. Somewhere I have a thread about “unintended consequences...”

Last edited:

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
Was just on the B&H Photo website and saw where they are closing for the Succos Holiday for a week.

Decided I better spring for a Voigtlander Super Nokton 29mm f/0.8 or wait until October.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1606638-REG/voigtlander_ba363a_super_nokton_29mm_f_0_8.html

Ugh. :dash2:
Wow, you weren't kidding around when you were pondering a fast lens. Jumping into the deep end with that one. I'm looking forward to your impressions of it when it arrives.

- K

Real Name
Melissa
A strap from a company I'd never heard of called Tuenne. It uses Peak Design connectors and the one I picked up is long enough for use as a cross-body sling as I prefer.

View attachment 907940
View attachment 907941
View attachment 907942

I think it's gonna be a keeper. It's more comfortable against my neck than the PD Slide. I do lose the Slide's quick length adjustment, but since I'm a big guy I typically use the slide at almost its maximum length and so rarely utilize the adjustability.

Stumbled across this on eBay at a nice price. I liked it, but the 48" strap was too short for my purposes. So I ordered a replacement rope that gives me 55.5" of overall length. I found the replacement rope they offer for dog leashes was a bit cheaper (but appears to be exactly the same) so I went with that -- skirted that photographer tax.

Not sure it would pencil out at the retail price, especially since one also needs to buy the PD anchors (another ~$20), but I noticed there's a 20% off discount code that helps a bit.

- K
I'd love to find some straps that work with my PD connectors. I can do an eBay search, but you mention a code. Is that something you could share? :)

Toddster

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Todd Cleaver
A Panasonic 14-140 f/3.5-5.6 ii, purchased from a member here.

Because the (otherwise wonderful) Olympus 12-100 f/4 Pro is just too heavy for me to carry all day and enjoy it. Quite a step back but I am excited about the weight loss.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
I'd love to find some straps that work with my PD connectors. I can do an eBay search, but you mention a code. Is that something you could share? :)
The one I bought was the only one I've seen on eBay. But if you go to their site (linked in my post above) the discount code (or a chance to get one if you share your email address) is featured pretty prominently. If I recall it's "AdventureDog20". If that doesn't work, PM me and I'll rifle through my email for it.

- K

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom