what photography related item did you buy this week?

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
Man, is that thing ugly.

No, not the cat.
To be fair: after looking at the Olympus C-1000L, even you must admit the winner in the category of "Butt Ugly Olympus Digicam" must be this!

DSC_0466-01.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Put them side by side, and the C-2100UZ suddenly starts to look classic, laid back, in its design. No frivolous lines on this 2.1 MP CCD!

DSC_0467-01.jpeg

Also the photo quality category will go to the C-2100UZ.

So, after this bad mouthing of the C-1000L I forgot to tell you that it's also a 3x zoom, 850 KP creature from 1997, with true optical viewfinder, SLR-type! An explanation of sorts. And, strictly speaking, I bought this some time ago. For $7.50 (shipping included!), but I didn't have any memory to use in it, until I got the C-2100UZ with three SM cards. So I finally put batteries in it a couple days ago. And it worked, of course. And now it got an 8 MB SM card inserted. Unfortunately it's missing the port cover on the left side.

DSC_0459-01.jpeg

DSC_0460-01.jpeg

DSC_0461-01.jpeg

DSC_0462-01.jpeg

DSC_0464-01.jpeg

But the pictures? Well, the close focus distance is sufficiently far away as to not annoy cats when shooting...

PIC00011-01.jpeg

PIC00004-01.jpeg

PIC00003-01.jpeg

And it's got a real optical SLR viewfinder. That's gotta get Olympus points for trying, at least!

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
That is very well said ... I miss the days of heavily modding PC and software, tinkering, and tweaking :D ... mind you I am currently working on a 2000 PC so :p
I was doing a little reading on what else you can do with the classic Mac Pro. The 4,1 can be flashed to the 5,1, which will get you to High Sierra. Drop in a Metal-compatible GPU, and that gets you to Mojave. Then you can install what is called OpenCore, and that will let you upgrade to Catalina and Big Sur. The fun part though is how cheap most of the upgrades are. ECC-DDR3 is super cheap, since it's server/workstation RAM and so many of those machines have been retired. I could get 128GB (16GB x 8) of RAM for $300--not that I'd ever need that much!

Last edited:

The Grumpy Snapper

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Assuming facts not in evidence!

I got one and botched the gluing process by a bit. I can twist the adapter slightly and the display changes, but I can't really program it while twisting. So like a fool, I ordered more, to give it a second shot.

If they're the same or similar to the Dandelion chips available 15 or 16 years ago I seem to think that you could buy lens adapters with the chip installed.

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
I was doing a little reading on what else you can do with the classic Mac Pro. The 4,1 can be flashed to the 5,1, which will get you to High Sierra. Drop in a Metal-compatible GPU, and that gets you to Mojave. Then you can install what is called OpenCore, and that will let you upgrade to Catalina and Big Sur. The fun part though is how cheap most of the upgrades are. ECC-DDR3 is super cheap, since it's server/workstation RAM and so many of those machines have been retired. I could get 128GB (16GB x 8) of RAM for $300--not that I'd ever need that much!
This is just about the computer I'm using now. I haven't gone past the Mojave stage, though. I used Dos Dude's patch kit — easy peasy, but you hav to have faith and not force reboot during long periods while it is working away.

I haven't been able to get it to go more than 56GB, though. It won't take 16GB SIMS in all the slots; at least one of the must be 8GB for some reason.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
This is just about the computer I'm using now. I haven't gone past the Mojave stage, though. I used Dos Dude's patch kit — easy peasy, but you hav to have faith and not force reboot during long periods while it is working away.

I haven't been able to get it to go more than 56GB, though. It won't take 16GB SIMS in all the slots; at least one of the must be 8GB for some reason.
What CPU do you have? I believe the W-series Xeons had that 56GB cap, while the X-series might even be able to accept 32GB DIMMs!

stevedo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
I pre-ordered the new Laowa 7.5mm F2 Auto a few weeks ago. It recently arrived and first impressions are good. This thing is tiny :)

P8010203.JPG

Attachments

• P8010200.JPG
    P8010200.JPG
    367.9 KB · Views: 32

Ghostbuggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Phill
To be fair: after looking at the Olympus C-1000L, even you must admit the winner in the category of "Butt Ugly Olympus Digicam" must be this!
This camera could've been easily used as a prop in a 90's sci-fi movie. The early, digital bridge cameras from the early 2000's in particular often had a fairly crazy, semi futuristic style to them, although often very plasticy and not really appealing. It's funny how things changed with a lot of more modern cameras trying to bring back aesthetics of days gone or offering more clean, "serious" lines and shapes.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
This camera could've been easily used as a prop in a 90's sci-fi movie. The early, digital bridge cameras from the early 2000's in particular often had a fairly crazy, semi futuristic style to them, although often very plasticy and not really appealing. It's funny how things changed with a lot of more modern cameras trying to bring back aesthetics of days gone or offering more clean, "serious" lines and shapes.
That's a lot of the late-90's, early-2000s style. Plastic ruled and many things took on an ugly bulbous style, especially electronics (PCs) and cars. I can't think of anything uglier than the late-90's Ford Taurus, except perhaps the Pontiac Aztec.

amit

Mu-43 Veteran
That's a lot of the late-90's, early-2000s style. Plastic ruled and many things took on an ugly bulbous style, especially electronics (PCs) and cars. I can't think of anything uglier than the late-90's Ford Taurus, except perhaps the Pontiac Aztec.
Fiat multipla is the ugliest.

Real Name
Neil
Some small performance upgrades to my post-processing computer:
  • A 2nd Noctua NF-A15 PWM 140mm fan for the NH-U14S tower cooler. Fans running in push-pull.
  • A Fractal Design Dynamic X2 GP-14 PWM 140mm case fan. Mounted it at the rear to expel air from the CPU cooler. It’s speed is linked to CPU temperature, so this fan and both cooler fans adjust speed in unison in response to CPU thermal load. They run quietly at idle, but have cooling power when required. The i7-6700k, which is modestly overclocked, would previous overheat and thermally throttle when running DxO PureRaw (running in CPU mode since I only have iGPU). No overheating with the new cooling setup. FYI DxO PureRaw provides a good stress test of your CPU cooling solution. I moved the original rear fan to the front, so now have two quiet 1000 rpm front fans bringing in air.
  • CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM. The fastest DDR4 that the older MB will support (2666MHz) and the same SKU as the existing RAM. Now have 32GB of speed-matched RAM.
Like many m43 members, I actually want to get a GPU for raw processing, but GPUs are impossible to find and there’s no way I would pay current prices.

FWIW: If GPUs were available at or below MSRP, I think the GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6GB is the current sweet spot for affordable photo editing. Due to its fast GDDR6, it benchmarks close to the the more expensive GeForce RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6. I have the RTX 2060 in my work office computer and it processes a 20MP RAW through PureRaw in <10s. My overclocked i7-6700k takes ~55s for the same image!

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Dad Pun Joke Master Over Nine Thousand Meme Lord
Real Name
Ovidiu
Some small performance upgrades to my post-processing computer:
  • A 2nd Noctua NF-A15 PWM 140mm fan for the NH-U14S tower cooler. Fans running in push-pull.
  • A Fractal Design Dynamic X2 GP-14 PWM 140mm case fan. Mounted it at the rear to expel air from the CPU cooler. It’s speed is linked to CPU temperature, so this fan and both cooler fans adjust speed in unison in response to CPU thermal load. They run quietly at idle, but have cooling power when required. The i7-6700k, which is modestly overclocked, would previous overheat and thermally throttle when running DxO PureRaw (running in CPU mode since I only have iGPU). No overheating with the new cooling setup. FYI DxO PureRaw provides a good stress test of your CPU cooling solution. I moved the original rear fan to the front, so now have two quiet 1000 rpm front fans bringing in air.
  • CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM. The fastest DDR4 that the older MB will support (2666MHz) and the same SKU as the existing RAM. Now have 32GB of speed-matched RAM.
Like many m43 members, I actually want to get a GPU for raw processing, but GPUs are impossible to find and there’s no way I would pay current prices.

FWIW: If GPUs were available at or below MSRP, I think the GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6GB is the current sweet spot for affordable photo editing. Due to its fast GDDR6, it benchmarks close to the the more expensive GeForce RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6. I have the RTX 2060 in my work office computer and it processes a 20MP RAW through PureRaw in <10s. My overclocked i7-6700k takes ~55s for the same image!
nVidia is rumored to ramp up the release of RTX XXXX Supers since the RTX 4000 in scheduled for next year ... AMD is ready to launch the RX 6600 XT though not sure how long the supplies will last. I think it would make sense for both nVidia and AMD to ramp up and allocate GPUs for Black Friday and X-Mas holiday by now, I would expect the GPU shortage to ease up a bit into the end of the year with the new releases.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
nVidia is rumored to ramp up the release of RTX XXXX Supers since the RTX 4000 in scheduled for next year ... AMD is ready to launch the RX 6600 XT though not sure how long the supplies will last. I think it would make sense for both nVidia and AMD to ramp up and allocate GPUs for Black Friday and X-Mas holiday by now, I would expect the GPU shortage to ease up a bit into the end of the year with the new releases.
I dunno, as long as the mining remains strong, I think supplies will be terrible, and prices to match. The cards are getting bought up by bots and very few seem to hit stores, but what does is marked up heavily. I really hope they can get this under control, but the miners seem to have the money.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
I dunno, as long as the mining remains strong, I think supplies will be terrible, and prices to match. The cards are getting bought up by bots and very few seem to hit stores, but what does is marked up heavily. I really hope they can get this under control, but the miners seem to have the money.
It'll take a major dive in crypto prices to normalize the market. As it stands, a GPU pays for itself in a matter a weeks in the hands of an established mining operation. And it's not like it's a simple matter to bring new fab capacity online.

- K

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom