what photography related item did you buy this week?

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Few days ago I just could resist the allure of a full frame camera anymore. Walked out of the store with the Panasonic s5. Got a new one for such a good price I figured I could resell it and not loose any money. Now I have to decide if I like the s5 20-60 combo better than the g9 8-18mm combo. My longest m43 lens is 60mm so the difference in size of total kit is pretty negligible in my case.
Yeah, if I only went up to 60mm (I shoot a G9), I'd probably go grab the S5 too.

Let us know what you think! I'm sure there are a few people here who would like to know more....
Initial impressions are that the s5 was built just a tad too small, my pinky doesn't comfortably rest like it does on the g9. So far I have only shot and edited in jpeg but the dynamic range is amazing and difference especially in the shadows is noticeable. I have a trip coming up here soon that I will run it through it's full tests.

Now I only picked it up because I mainly about portraits and landscapes. Had I been into wildlife or even sports I would not put down the g9. The g9 is many times more capable than myself. I was at a point where I was either buying the Oly pro primes for low light and dof control especially at 35mm eq or just moving to ff. Moving to ff should be lighter and slight bump in quality.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I bought Resolve 17 Studio and got the $300 Speed Editor keyboard for free ($300 for both is a great deal). Normally I use Vegas PRO but wanted a few of the features in Resolve 17 for a large project (Vegas is very quick for small projects and V18 has all of the tools I need for short videos). Also buying once and getting updates for free has always intrigued me about Resolve. Don't know if Resolve will become my primary editor but I had the money saved to upgrade to Vegas 19 in August and thought something new might be fun. After all this is a hobby and learning new programs has always been "fun" for me.......

JensM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
As screename
Had forsworn any more acquisitions for a while, but stumbling over the so called Super Zooms, a group of cameras I havent even looked at before, it seems like I have bought two, both Panasonics. One FtF today, a TZ70 and via Ebay a TZ10. The latter complete with box, two batteries, charger and this and that. The first one came with sans box, but with the accompanying cable, charge plug and a 64Mb Sandisc card.

After some horsing around with it tonight, it has 67 shutter actuations... :biggrin: No idea about the Ebay one, but the reason for getting that was its CCD sensor and it looked rather fresh. Time will show.

TZ70 came in at about 90 bucks and the TZ10 at 60ish, after the customs shennanigans has taken their pound of flesh.

s-l1600.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
tz70.jpg

Sellers photos.

Mountain_Man_79

Brannigan’s Law is like Brannigan’s love
Real Name
Chris
There was no easy way to check the photo count, but if the photo naming on the camera was any indication, I believe the total picture count was 6.
9. I believe 9 pictures have been taken on this camera before it found its way to me, due for the file naming convention. It appears to be brand new!

JensM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
As screename
9. I believe 9 pictures have been taken on this camera before it found its way to me, due for the file naming convention. It appears to be brand new!
They are out there! The TZ70 I got had 29 actuations, before I got my grubby mitts on it, going on the file numbering... :drinks:

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Just think, with smartphones replacing cameras for many people, there are probably a lot of cameras out there where they were purchased and barely used. Heck, I bet there are a couple cameras I've sold where I didn't use them much and decided to offload them.

Real Name
Mike
Bought a "Hot Mirror 2" for my full-spectrum E-M1.1.

I'm more pleased with the Kolarivision filter's box being both smaller, and also fitted with a foam layer to keep the filter in place verses the Lifepixel filter box. Easier storage being smaller, although I'm thinking of stacking all these IR filters and using a metal stack-cap on the stack's top and bottom which would make storage space even smaller.

A bit of a rant though on the "Hot Mirror" description. Why not call it a "Neutralizer" instead of a "Hot Mirror? Or more proper a "Full-Spectrum Color Neutralizer" filter.

Lifepixel is worse for calling them "OEM Sensor Filters" or "Visible Bandpass" (??) filters. The word "Mirror" could be applied to any filter for reflecting or not passing light, but this odd wording just makes it all more confusing, imho. I nned to make up some labels so I can remember what these things are, and that applies to the names for "Super Color," "Enhanced Color," and "HyperColor" Lifelpixel's filters and what band-pass they really affect (i.e. 590nm, 665nm,and 470nm respectively.).
LOL I read the third line and thought to myself "it should be called 'visible light bandpass filter', no wait, how to shorten it?" I think it's a reasonable name. The band of frequencies being passed is just the visible spectrum, corresponding to wavelengths ~380 nm to ~740 nm though I'm sure it's far from a perfect filter in that respect.

Hot Mirror is a hot mess though. How does that even describe anything?

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
I don't buy many books, but I made an exception for this one.

IMG_3112.jpg

MonikaO

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Monika
I got a grip for my Panny GX80 this week.
Fits like a glove, makes the camera so much better to hold
even has an opening at the bottom to change the battery.
It hardly weighs anything... perfect :)
Very happy with it.

IMG_20210725_154110.jpg

IMG_20210725_154121.jpg

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
I can't say I've ever seen that one before, Richard.

The photographer is Harold Davis. He is an American painter/photographer/author and I discovered his work through linkedin learning. He also has a number of (long!) youtube vids.

He readily admits that his workflow ALWAYS involves photoshop. He is well known for his lightbox photography of flowers, and is one of the few photographers who is known for using LAB mode (luminance or brightness is on a separate channel to the colours) creatively. In the simplest terms, if you can separate the luminance from the colours you can do stuff like turning whites to black, while leaving the rest of the colours exactly as photographed.

Suits my photoshop nerdiness :)

youtube.com/watch?v=gWjyoaEF-VI (copy/paste job as media links are broken on here at the moment)

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Ovidiu, we aren't even allowed to carry a pocket knife here now! As an old bushy, I feel undressed without my 60+ y.o. Henry Boker pocket knife on my belt ...

I used to always carry my Swiss Army knife.
Amazing how often I needed a screw driver or one of the other tools.
When I don't have it, I really miss it.

It is especially useful when I go to a restaurant and their "steak knife" is so dull that it won't cut a toast. Complain, and they bring me another knife that is just as dull. Sigh. So then you have a hunk of meat hanging out of your mouth as you try to eat it. But, for some reason, my wife gets upset at me when I pull out my knife to cut food at the restaurant.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Went a bit crazy and purchased a 2010 Mac Pro. 2x X5670s, 16GB RAM, AMD 5870 GPU. 12C/24T. I always wanted to own the dual CPU model, and after 11 years, it finally became affordable to do so! :D

It didn't ship with any HDDs, so I had to get very creative to get High Sierra back on it. The GPU fan sounded terrible, but a quick disassemble, cleaning, and regreasing of the fan spindle cured that issue. I figure this might turn into my "whatever" machine, since I can run every OS on it. Really the machine wasn't in bad shape, and oddly enough shipped to me in a G5 PowerMac box. I can put even more RAM in it, even faster CPUs, these old Westmere Xeons are no slouches. Still very fast for their age. Can't get to Mojave/Catalina without a newer GPU, so now I just need the mining craze to go bust.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Dad Pun Joke Master Over Nine Thousand Meme Lord
Real Name
Ovidiu
Went a bit crazy and purchased a 2010 Mac Pro. 2x X5670s, 16GB RAM, AMD 5870 GPU. 12C/24T. I always wanted to own the dual CPU model, and after 11 years, it finally became affordable to do so! :D

It didn't ship with any HDDs, so I had to get very creative to get High Sierra back on it. The GPU fan sounded terrible, but a quick disassemble, cleaning, and regreasing of the fan spindle cured that issue. I figure this might turn into my "whatever" machine, since I can run every OS on it. Really the machine wasn't in bad shape, and oddly enough shipped to me in a G5 PowerMac box. I can put even more RAM in it, even faster CPUs, these old Westmere Xeons are no slouches. Still very fast for their age. Can't get to Mojave/Catalina without a newer GPU, so now I just need the mining craze to go bust.
I wouldn't recommend going for a 10 year old machine no matter how cheap it is unless you need software to work with a certain era of computing ... But since you've done it already :)
Apple is moving from X86 to ARM and support for those older Intel CPUs will run out quite quickly (if the move from IBM to Intel in the past is a good indication of a huge platform change that Apple made before). With Apple it's usually updates the first to go and then services and after is app\software support.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
I wouldn't recommend going for a 10 year old machine no matter how cheap it is unless you need software to work with a certain era of computing ... But since you've done it already :)
Apple is moving from X86 to ARM and support for those older Intel CPUs will run out quite quickly (if the move from IBM to Intel in the past is a good indication of a huge platform change that Apple made before). With Apple it's usually updates the first to go and then services and after is app\software support.
I also have an M1 MBA. Considering just how little 3rd party software I use anymore, I'm not too concerned there. I'm also no stranger to Linux, so I always have a modern software option. I liken this to buying a classic muscle car. The 2009-2012 models had a lot of modding power. Tweak this, flash that, and you can turn it into something that can still keep up today, just perhaps a little less efficiently.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Dad Pun Joke Master Over Nine Thousand Meme Lord
Real Name
Ovidiu
I also have an M1 MBA. Considering just how little 3rd party software I use anymore, I'm not too concerned there. I'm also no stranger to Linux, so I always have a modern software option. I liken this to buying a classic muscle car. The 2009-2012 models had a lot of modding power. Tweak this, flash that, and you can turn it into something that can still keep up today, just perhaps a little less efficiently.
That is very well said ... I miss the days of heavily modding PC and software, tinkering, and tweaking :D ... mind you I am currently working on a 2000 PC so :p

discus277

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jim
I bought Gavin Gough's Kodachrome presets here

https://www.gavingough.com/store/kodachrome

Very pleased with them both. I have a PEN F and recently saw a video that Rob Trek had done about using the color dial to create a Kodak 25 look within the camera. I tried it and found it interesting but I though a little harsh. That got me looking into it more. I took hundreds of color slides in the late 1950s into 1990s and always loved the look. Also scanned several 100 and some of those (not all) are quite good.

After looking at several more youtube videos i decided it was worth 25 Pounds to try them. I can recommend these presets if you have an interest. Beach scene attached

LR Edit with Adobe Color Profile followed by Kodachrome 25 style applied
Lightroom Edit Adobe Color (1 of 1).jpg
Lightroom Edit Kodachrome 25 (1 of 1).jpg

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom