what photography related item did you buy this week?

stevedo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
I've just pre-ordered the new Laowa 7.5mm F2 auto.

I've had a Panasonic 7-14 on Olympus bodies for a number of years. The purple blobs (and colour casts) and not being able to use filters without a huge adapter finally got to me.

I thought I would buy the new Olympus 8-25 when it launched. However, it's larger than I wanted it to be and I don't think it would have worked for me. It is undoubtedy a very versatile lens.

I did some analysis of the way in which I've used the Panasonic 7-14. It turns out that 85% of my shots with this lens are at 7 or 8mm. 10% are between 12 and 14 and I can cover these focal lengths with my Oly 12-40 PRO. I had previously been discouraged by the lack of electronics in the first 7.5mm Laowa lens. The new auto lens enables setting of the aperture from the camera (I shoot mostly in aperture priority) and EXIF data is passed to the camera.

On that basis I re-evaluated the tiny Laowa 7.5mm F2. Adding everything up including the fact that it can take filters has led me to pre-ordering. Only problem now is that I have to wait until at least the 11th July when stock is expected.

Neil_jo

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Neil Johnson
I've just pre-ordered the new Laowa 7.5mm F2 auto.

I've had a Panasonic 7-14 on Olympus bodies for a number of years. The purple blobs (and colour casts) and not being able to use filters without a huge adapter finally got to me.

I thought I would buy the new Olympus 8-25 when it launched. However, it's larger than I wanted it to be and I don't think it would have worked for me. It is undoubtedy a very versatile lens.

I did some analysis of the way in which I've used the Panasonic 7-14. It turns out that 85% of my shots with this lens are at 7 or 8mm. 10% are between 12 and 14 and I can cover these focal lengths with my Oly 12-40 PRO. I had previously been discouraged by the lack of electronics in the first 7.5mm Laowa lens. The new auto lens enables setting of the aperture from the camera (I shoot mostly in aperture priority) and EXIF data is passed to the camera.

On that basis I re-evaluated the tiny Laowa 7.5mm F2. Adding everything up including the fact that it can take filters has led me to pre-ordering. Only problem now is that I have to wait until at least the 11th July when stock is expected.
I shoot in manual mode all the time so I don't mind it not having auto. Plus I had it in my cart for a few weeks and when they lowered the price by 50 bucks I couldn't resist.

I have the Olympus 7-14, and use it about 70% of the time with the Lee 100mm system, but it vignettes until almost 10mm.

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
One cannot live on documentation alone.
So, I got me a minty fresh Minolta f:1.7/50 mm A-mount lens, hand delivered to my residence today.
DSC_0365-01.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC_0364-01.jpeg
DSC_0363-01.jpeg

MonikaO

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Monika
I saw a nice deal in a shop ^ ^
A Olympus 45mm 1.8, brand new for a way lower price less then all the secondhand occasions go for.
So that was decided very fast since I have been thinking about this lens.
Seems perfectly fine when I tried it out today in the garden.
Very happy with that and it will be out in the streets with me soon :)

Layla

P6210020.JPG

Real Name
Andrew L
A Olympus 45mm 1.8, brand new for a way lower price less then all the secondhand occasions go for.

Layla

Very nice, I am thinking about that lens in the very near future! It's one of the good, value-oriented primes in the system that I have never used, and I think it's high time...

dougpayne

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
C.D. Payne
Bought a Panasonic G100 from a forum member. Looks good. Using it strictly for stills.

Rhod_PanG100_25mm_Jun21.jpg

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian

Layla

I had to sell mine as I started taking cat photos with it.
Well actually, I think it took them by itself, as I don't like the creatures and didn't want to take them myself. ;)

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
DSC_0154-01.jpeg

Together with the f:1.7/50 mm I also got this 35-105 mm.
External: not quite mint. Glass: mint.
Taking it out for a spin this afternoon.

EDIT: Battery just went flat... tomorrow, then. Have to make do with either a Pentax or an Olympus today. Decisions, decisions.

Last edited:

ektar

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Don
If you scroll back (or if you've been following and have used up valuable brain space by remembering), I posted up about a junk bin purchase that had "unintended consequences." This started out a little like that.

I had a Konica to Micro 4/3 adapter fall into my hands for the princely sum of ten bucks. The minor detail is that I didn't own any Konica lenses to adapt. "Didn't..." I happened to know of a shop within a reasonable drive that I remembered having some fairly nice Konica glass for sale. I had some time, so off I went. While I was looking through the case, the gent pointed out a 135 that he opined was "nicer" than the one I was looking at. Nicer because it was a 2.5 instead of a 3.2. I pulled it out, and it did look and feel nicer. Beefy. Beeeg front element. Wooo. Popped the caps and peered through: Urrrrgh. Fungus. Lots'O. I showed him, and he said, "well, that one goes over in the junk box."

Looked around, made a deal on some stuff... I like this place's junk boxes. So, I go poke through those. Looking more than a mite forlorn was a Tamron Adaptall (1) 105mm f2.5. No caps, no mount, dusty as you can imagine. Focus is a little underdamped but smooth. The aperture blades have some oil, which makes the mechanism balky. It worked to an extent on one mount (that I couldn't have) and less reliable on one that I pirated from a derelict zoom in another junk box. So, being the son of a child of the depression and the great grandson of a Scot, home they came.

Okay, okay, I'll try to shorten the story:

The Tamron first: Fortunately I could access the aperture mechanism and the rear side of the blades pretty easily. Cleaned all that up with some Ronsonol, wiped up the stray oil; that allowed it to work on manual (which is all I cared about anyway). It had no fungus and minimal internal dust, so I carefully cleaned the front and rear glass. I had caps laying around, so it's ready to go and is a cutie: Barely if any bigger than most 50s:

Tamron105A.jpg

When I got the 135 home, I confirmed my initial impression. This one was "et up" with fungus. As near as I could tell, every internal surface, and probably the outer surface of the rear element. Gah. Well, I had the time today, and 135s are generally pretty simple, so...

Freeing up the front complex was a matter of a couple set screws and unscrewing the name ring, removing the hood, and the front section of the barrel, then it just unscrewed. Here's the bits on the table.

Konica135_25_2A.jpg

I had to use a strap wrench to loosen the retaining ring for the humongous front element. The rear element of the cluster was held in by a spanner ring. The center element plopped out. Into a peroxide bath they went:

Konica135_25_3A.jpg

This is some beeeg glass:

Konica135_25_5A.jpg

It all cleaned up easily with the peroxide and some mild soap. I rinsed with warm water and set them aside to dry before reassembling. This is what that front complex looks like:

Konica135_25_7A.jpg

The rear "group" is a single element. Unfortunately, even at infinity focus, it's pretty well recessed. To get the spanner wrench in there, the mount had to come off:

Konica135_25_8A.jpg

Fortunately, none of the mechanicals were molested during this process. Unfortunately, the mount comes off in like three pieces. It feels like it goes on in about six. I neglected to mark or photograph exactly how the mount was oriented, so that added to the reassembly adventure. Anyway the rear singlet is in a carrier. It got a bath as well:

Konica135_25_9A.jpg

This was a minor error: I had to remove a thin circlip to take the element out of the carrier to get it dry for reassembly.

On final reassembly I discovered that I'd traded a fair heap of fungus for a tiny amount of lint. Pretty good trade.

I think it's a beaut: Big ol' 62mm front element, integrated hood. Focusing is smooth as butter and the aperture is dry and snappy. Not a bad couple hours' work.

Konica135_25_10A.jpg

Konica135_25_11A.jpg

Oh, and somewhere my thrifty father and other forbears are smiling. The tab for these two "rescues?"

Six bucks.

Last edited:
Real Name
Neil
A number of accessories:
  • B+W 72mm XS-Pro Clear MRC-Nano 007 filter for the O12-100/4.
D72AB6DE-2C0D-4D75-8607-198C77A42ECF.jpeg

• ZEISS Lens Wipes (60-Pack). I promptly cleaned all my lenses and filters.
  • A couple of small (12”) collapsible circular reflector disc, one white translucent and one silver/white, for macro shooting. I’m tired of using 5-in-1 designs.
  • ProGrade Digital 64GB UHS-II SDXC Memory Card.

Lee Perrins

Mu-43 Regular
Picked up a 'not quite a bargain but a decent price' (£100 / $140) EC-14. The glass looks in great condition and it seems to work really well, but there is a big fingerprint on the from element. I'll pick up some lens cleaner on the way home and check it cleans off before my 7 day window to return it ends.

CD77

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Chris
Picked up a 'not quite a bargain but a decent price' (£100 / $140) EC-14. The glass looks in great condition and it seems to work really well, but there is a big fingerprint on the from element. I'll pick up some lens cleaner on the way home and check it cleans off before my 7 day window to return it ends.
You bugger! I was tracking that one as well but I missed the end of the auction. :laugh1:

Lee Perrins

Mu-43 Regular
You bugger! I was tracking that one as well but I missed the end of the auction. :laugh1:
It was from CEX not eBay - they do decent prices on some things (if they have them in stock) and you get a guarantee - it hadn't occurred to me they did anything other than gaming stuff until my kid started going there / asking me to take her there. Worth checking them out every now and again - that said they only had one EC-14 in stock on Monday, so I assume they have none now :)

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom