what photography related item did you buy this week?

Real Name
Andrew Lossing
So a couple weeks ago when I bought a used EM5 and 20/1.7 I got the EM5 for $150 from the shop. I was able to handle it first, and it was in good shape, but it turned out the shutter was suffering from the black frame issue that has cropped up in a lot of those older EM5's. The shop accepted my return with no problem, but when I've looked to replace it, all the EM5 bodies I've found have been $200, or even higher.

Today, I went on the same shop's website and saw a used EM5 II for $299. I decided to bite - they do have good prices on used gear and a 60 day warranty so if any issues crop up I should have enough time to suss them out. At only $100 more than I'd expect to pay for the older model, seems like a good get. We will see.

stevedo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
Just ordered an Olympus LS-P4, dead cat, Olympus recorder to camera cable and Olympus shock mount on eBay. Should arrive in a few days :)

PS should have said, all described as new but not used. Just have to see when it arrives.

Last edited:
A dead cat is a wind shield for a microphone (in this context).

1623876949483.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

jhawk1000

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mel
I don't know if this counts or not but the wife wanted to get me a birthday/father's day gift and she was tired of hearing me curse at my old Lenovo I3 laptop I use for internet use only. She found a pretty nice deal on a new Ryzen 7 laptop with an upgraded video card, 16 Gb ram, 512 GB SSD, and other niceties. She does a lot of editing of her images away from her office computer and she has a Lenovo Yoga with about the same specs but integrated video and graphics card which sucks for her photoshop.
The new computer came today and yep, I have her old Yoga and she has the new machine already set up. She does a lot of pinup photography which takes tons of time and processing power so she is delighted.
I can only say that it was a good birthday and fathers day gift since I actually enjoy the emotions she goes through to finally accept my offers. Truly, at my age, if it works for what I need, I could care less about whether it is the newest and best. So now I can curse at an I7 instead of the I3.

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
I shoot a lot of non-electronic glass, and I got real tired programming in the EXIF info. The ten slots for such info on the E-M1.2 is way too few!

So, I got five Peleng chips to glue onto five µ4/3rds —> OM adapters, so I can program them to semi-permanently mate with my most-used OM lenses. Then, I can swap with abandon, and my EXIF info (and IBIS operation) will be automagically entered!
SRGB0014.JPG

phigmov

Probably Not Walter Kernow

Steveee

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Steve
Slightly photographically linked: managed to bag two tickets to Wimbledon, first time I've been able to go in quite a few years, in fact since I upgraded to the EM10ii from the Canon P&S. I cannot express my excitement adequately here!

More concrete connection: 2 BLS-50 batteries to make sure I have enough battery power. Looked at the Olympus ones (£54!!), saw some from companies I'd never heard of at about £15, decided to take the half-way path with Duracells at £19 (with 20% discount for two being close enough to the others) plus a compact charger from them too.

Now wondering if I should get another memory card just in case....................but not sure what the 10ii will take or the best kind.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Slightly photographically linked: managed to bag two tickets to Wimbledon, first time I've been able to go in quite a few years, in fact since I upgraded to the EM10ii from the Canon P&S. I cannot express my excitement adequately here!

More concrete connection: 2 BLS-50 batteries to make sure I have enough battery power. Looked at the Olympus ones (£54!!), saw some from companies I'd never heard of at about £15, decided to take the half-way path with Duracells at £19 (with 20% discount for two being close enough to the others) plus a compact charger from them too.

Now wondering if I should get another memory card just in case....................but not sure what the 10ii will take or the best kind.
I use scandisk 32 gig cards in my EM10 mk 2. I use the extreme pro cards
But the 32 gig are getting hard to get as the 64 gig are not much dearer
I always wait till they go on special at my local store

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Just in case, make sure you know what the rules are for cameras before you go to the stadium. I've heard several places (in the USA) ban cameras with interchangeable lenses, while others ban 'more professional' looking gear (i.e. a E-m10 mark II with 14-150mm f/4-5.6 might pass muster but an E-m1x with 40-150mm f/2.8 might not due to the larger size and heft of the gear).

And obviously try not to be 'that guy' that blocks the view of others to get the shot and/or hits people with the lens. Good luck in getting some good photos.

Steveee

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Steve
Just in case, make sure you know what the rules are for cameras before you go to the stadium. I've heard several places (in the USA) ban cameras with interchangeable lenses, while others ban 'more professional' looking gear (i.e. a E-m10 mark II with 14-150mm f/4-5.6 might pass muster but an E-m1x with 40-150mm f/2.8 might not due to the larger size and heft of the gear).

And obviously try not to be 'that guy' that blocks the view of others to get the shot and/or hits people with the lens. Good luck in getting some good photos.

Thanks - having not been for a while, I checked that almost before I bought the tickets! - the info on the site says they doesn't allow the use of lenses more than 300mm in length when extended, so the 10ii with the plastic fantastic 40-150 will be well within that. And I'm waaaay too polite to block the view, trust me!

I don't do much in the way of sports photography, but we always hope for good photos, don't we? It is also possible, however, that I'll be so engaged in the tennis I don't take many!

Macroramphosis

Jack of Spades and an unfeasibly large wheelbarrow
Real Name
Roddy
If you want more reach, the P45-175 may well also be a good option (that's 50mm more in FF terms). It does not extend, and is decently sharp at the long end. They're cheap to buy second-hand too... some examples below, but I do not know what gear you have otherwise or where you will be sitting... I hope you enjoy yourself.

Last time I was there I sat through a Gabriela Sabatini match and left with a smile, much in love. Sigh.

P8300583.jpeg

P1400336.jpeg

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom