what photography related item did you buy this week?

Macroramphosis

Jack of Spades and an unfeasibly large wheelbarrow
Real Name
Roddy
I bought one of the little Sony RX100 series stick-on grips for the newly-purchased GM5, which did indeed prove to be basically brand new when it arrived.

However since then developments in the household mean the GM5 will not be staying long as it is about to be put up for sale, along with the unopened box containing aforementioned Sony grip. Circumstances ago-go in western France, sigh :(

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
My new-old EM5 has produced a few dark frames, I guess this is a common enough problem for these shutters to do this at higher shutter speeds. I haven't noticed any after the first couple days of purchase, though. Maybe it just needed exercise.
I had a similar problem with my E-M5 too, but couldn't work out what the problem was.
Hopefully it won't happen on my Mk 2.

Real Name
Cata
New kid on the block

_EM12130.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Just need to mention, for my hand, the newly shaped handgrip is excellent!!

Last edited:

PeeBee

Mu-43 All-Pro
In the words of arguably one of the most influential lyricists of a generation - CeCe Peniston, my Oly 100-400 has arrived, "Finally"

I'm looking forwards to trying this bad boy out over the weekend :)

PeeBee

Mu-43 All-Pro
^ Following on from above, as I thought, the Oly 100-400 doesn't fit in any of my camera bags when attached to a body, so I popped out to Currys today (a UK consumer electrical store) to look for a dedicated bag. In store they a Canon MS10 messenger bag, on clearance for £27.00. Out of curiosity, I've just searched online and most retailers are charging between £60 to £74 for the bag and Currys doesn't even have it listed, so it may have been a local store clearance. Anyho, with the internal dividers removed, it can snugly accommodate an EM1.2 with Oly 100-400 and one of the TC's attached. There are 2 front pockets, each can store one of the TCs when not being used, or alternative accessories of course. It seems very well made, so if anyone is looking for a bag that can take the Oly 100-400 mounted, it's one to check out, though you may not find the same deal I did.

https://www.canon.co.uk/cameras/messenger-bag-ms10/

Armoured

Mu-43 Regular
Bit the bullet and clicked on 'buy' for an Olympus 30mm macro lens when it came in at the right price (not expensive).

Part of an idea that a small, light macro that I can keep in my carry-around kit will encourage me to up my (rubbish) macro game. I have toyed with macro from time to time but the size and fiddliness of what I've tried never quite worked for me. Certainly wasn't going to shell out for expensive and large macro gear - but for about $125, I'll give it a try. Now can't wait for it to arrive, hopefully tomorrow.
I've only had this thing for a half day and not much chance to really try it out, but first impressions are that this is a winner and just what I was looking for - a small, light, capable macro I can use as a quasi-normal (so that I'll keep it on the camera and experiment more).

It's part of the reason I use MFT - bigger gear just puts an extra barrier in the way of trying new things.

As far as the lens: internal focussing on a macro lens that gets this close (and magnification) is seriously impressive. And extremely reasonably priced (esp used).

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Well for me it was small things:
  • A JJC Z-TGS Lens Cap Cover for my TG-5
  • A Watson BLS clone battery for my E-m5 mark III, Stylus-1, and a few older cameras
  • A Watson BLN clone battery for my E-m1 mark I and E-m5 mark I
  • A flash diffuser for me to cut up and put into my steampunk camera box as a diffuser

I bought an HP printer (ENVY 6055), but that is more because our main printer keeps disappearing from the network, and I wanted a backup to print receipts, etc.

I've only had this thing for a half day and not much chance to really try it out, but first impressions are that this is a winner and just what I was looking for - a small, light, capable macro I can use as a quasi-normal (so that I'll keep it on the camera and experiment more).

It's part of the reason I use MFT - bigger gear just puts an extra barrier in the way of trying new things.

As far as the lens: internal focussing on a macro lens that gets this close (and magnification) is seriously impressive. And extremely reasonably priced (esp used).
The 30mm macro is a very nice lens, even more so for what they sell for. I picked up a used one to use for converting a bunch of old slides to digital. It worked perfectly for that.

Armoured

Mu-43 Regular
I picked up a used one to use for converting a bunch of old slides to digital. It worked perfectly for that.

A huge thank you! Although I hypothetically knew that, it wasn't actually part of my reason for purchasing it. But I have a zillion slides to digitize and have tried with a different set of gear and found it very fiddly and tedious, so should try with this set-up.

Really I should blame my lack of patience and gear aspects, but all of that makes it look like I'm the problem.

Therefore, I blame having children.

All joking aside, this is a very helpful tip and I'm embarrassed I didn't think of it.

PeteS

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Pete Staehling
Not all that exciting, but a Hoya 58mm Close-up +3 (HMC) Multi-Coated Lens ordered and due to arrive Thursday. I plan to use it on my 75-300mm f4.8-6.7 II if that ever ships. It will also fit on a couple other lenses that I have, but was bought mainly for the 75-300 (which is and has been on backorder for over a month).

I will probably play with it on my 12-45mm F4.0 Pro and 40-150 f4-5.6 in the mean time, assuming it arrives Thursday as promised and Olympus doesn't suddenly get on the ball and ship the 75-300mm f4.8-6.7 II.

I debated between the Hoya and a cheap set of uncoated Vivitars. I also looked at and considered a Marumi Achromat and may yet go that route in the future if I decide I want a 5 or 10 X, but right now I think the coated 3x looks like a good answer for what I want to do at this time.

A huge thank you! Although I hypothetically knew that, it wasn't actually part of my reason for purchasing it. But I have a zillion slides to digitize and have tried with a different set of gear and found it very fiddly and tedious, so should try with this set-up.

Really I should blame my lack of patience and gear aspects, but all of that makes it look like I'm the problem.

Therefore, I blame having children.

All joking aside, this is a very helpful tip and I'm embarrassed I didn't think of it.
I got a Nikon NS-1 and an LED panel as a light source. The biggest problem is the dust. I tried to clean the slides as much as I could and I fixed some in LR. I wasn’t overly picky though, the dust and scratches add some character 😃 I saw a Medium Format image on DPR where the poster added scratches so I am way ahead of him 🤣

A used Oly 60mm macro popped up suddenly on Carmarthen Cameras’ site here in the UK and I resisted for all of five minutes. I’m now shopping around for the rest of the kit and software needed to start digitising all the old 35mm and 120 negs. One purchase leads to another….

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
Wait..what?! Have we both bought the same lens? 🤣 Be interesting to see who gets it.
No, I've already bought mine, but did see yours advertised.
I've got the same aims as you regarding digitising recently discovered slides and negatives.
I spent most of the early spring trying to come up with some solutions and constructed a light-box (of sorts) and got a boom arm with connectors to fasten to my tripod. Just haven't got round to actual copying yet and imagine it will now be next winter's project. :rolleyes:

The 60mm lens takes some great images, once you've learnt a few of its foibles regarding the focus switch, though I'm now considering using my old OM system 50mm f3.5 macro for the actual copying.

Good luck. :thumbup:

Macroramphosis

Jack of Spades and an unfeasibly large wheelbarrow
Real Name
Roddy
I've just bought an EF40mm f2.8 for my daughter's BD. She's had a 100D for several years and has patiently used the kit zoom since then, but she's a graphic designer and I thought a small prime might well change her photographic life. She has a brilliant eye and takes some stunning photos, but I think she needs to get more photo gear as far as I'm concerned. I'm hoping the 40mm will make her carry her little Canon about a lot more.

No, I've already bought mine, but did see yours advertised.
I've got the same aims as you regarding digitising recently discovered slides and negatives.
I spent most of the early spring trying to come up with some solutions and constructed a light-box (of sorts) and got a boom arm with connectors to fasten to my tripod. Just haven't got round to actual copying yet and imagine it will now be next winter's project. :rolleyes:

The 60mm lens takes some great images, once you've learnt a few of its foibles regarding the focus switch, though I'm now considering using my old OM system 50mm f3.5 macro for the actual copying.

Good luck. :thumbup:
Thanks. That’s a relief and I’ve now received the dispatch email too. However I lack the inclination and your skills and so….

Today’s purchase = Andrew Clifforth’s Essential Film Holder.
Rather a long lead time on this due to ‘pandemic ordering’ but it ticks all the boxes for me as, in addition to my 45 year’s worth of 35mm negs, I have a lot of my father’s old 120 negs to scan. Now to sort out a light source.

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
I've just bought an EF40mm f2.8 for my daughter's BD. She's had a 100D for several years and has patiently used the kit zoom since then, but she's a graphic designer and I thought a small prime might well change her photographic life. She has a brilliant eye and takes some stunning photos, but I think she needs to get more photo gear as far as I'm concerned. I'm hoping the 40mm will make her carry her little Canon about a lot more.
And no doubt a few Canon to m4/3 adaptors will follow. :whistling:

Shortsonfire79

Mu-43 Veteran
The 30mm macro is a very nice lens, even more so for what they sell for. I picked up a used one to use for converting a bunch of old slides to digital. It worked perfectly for that.
A used Oly 60mm macro popped up suddenly on Carmarthen Cameras’ site here in the UK and I resisted for all of five minutes. I’m now shopping around for the rest of the kit and software needed to start digitising all the old 35mm and 120 negs. One purchase leads to another….
Moving a bit off topic here, but the 60mm macro + tripod/light table/2x piece of anti-newton-ring glass is great for negatives and positives in 135/120. If you have it, sensor shift for 80mp 120 scans has proven better than multi-image stitching for 6x4.5. Will be doing my first 6x9 in a couple of days [probably stitch 2x 80mp scan] so will post an update if anyone is interested.
PXL_20201211_025259269.jpg

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom