what photography related item did you buy this week?

Michael Houston

Mu-43 Rookie
Picked up a Panny GF7 super-cheap, partly I think because it's pink. Made, I think, for a younger girl - pretty much the opposite of me. Don't care about the leatherette as much as the image. At least, that's how I feel today. We'll see how I feel when I actually have it in my hands...

Macroramphosis

Jack of Spades and an unfeasibly large wheelbarrow
Real Name
Roddy
Picked up a Panny GF7 super-cheap, partly I think because it's pink. Made, I think, for a younger girl - pretty much the opposite of me. Don't care about the leatherette as much as the image. At least, that's how I feel today. We'll see how I feel when I actually have it in my hands...
You could always buy a short skirt and some thigh boots, Michael. The camera won't look so silly then, surely? :D

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Hey, at least you won't lose it in the tall grass.

ektar

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Don
On this past Sunday's trip to the trail, I attempted (unsuccessfully) to shoot some of the hawks that populate the bluffs of the closed part of the quarry near the trail. I was shooting with the unintended consequences 20D. That's when I discovered the signs of gradeux on the sensor. TBH, I've not shot a lot of blank sky, and Oly's sensor cleaning system apparently works pretty well, because I've not seen those blobs in my images befoe. But the 20D has an unkown past, so... Which is a boring-a** lead in to having ordered an APS-C sensor cleaning kit. I stopped short of buying the lighted sensor loupe/magnifier, at least for now.

phigmov

Probably Not Walter Kernow
Been keeping an eye out for a Nikon 50mm f1.4 G for several years but they seem to hold their value used. Spotted this Sigma 50 f1.4 DG HSM and it had good reviews + a good price-point - figured I'd give it a crack. They weren't kidding when they said it had a big front-element! AF speed is good too. Most importantly the bokeh is buttery smooth.

51190909858_c9d1afe0b6_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
P1610301 by Walter Kernow, on Flickr

51190909933_d60dd24ddd_o.jpg
DSC_1843 by Walter Kernow, on Flickr

Vermont3133

A New Lens Will Fix It!
Brief 4/3 encounter.
I have been known to rashly buy photographic equipment [my wife as first witness] but this one takes the cake!
I snapped up an Oly 9-18mm 4/3 lens to give it a try! Very nice reviews and all and comments that it autofocused OK with an adapter with M43 bodies [it does...more or less]
I must have been lucky....the corners didn't turn into a mess when using a no-name adapter. The output looked OK.
About that time the fact that I already have a really really nice Fuji 10-24 started to rise to the surface of my consciousness and I thought...Hell, why not do a comparison! :doh:
The end result is that I fortunately found someone on eBay who needed this lens more than I do.
😅

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
I placed an order for a new, bigger backdrop stand. A Walimex that rises to 400cm height and extends to 465cm horizontally. It should be handy when shooting aerial acrobatics etc. Didn't have to pay VAT so it only costed me 126 EUR.

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Walimex-190-465cm-XXL-Background-System/dp/B004FPOKYS/

I'll be selling my current, smaller stand now to make room for the new one. And try to get a few €€€s back.

Last edited:

ektar

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Don
Two M42 ...oddities... followed me home. The first was another rescue from the castoffs at the local shop. I chased up a front cap there, but had to scare one up for the back at home. The front was dusty (easy fix), but there was something on the rear element that didn't clean off like I expected. I wasn't sure what surface was affected, so I had to take the rear combination apart, but then it cleaned up beautiful. Focusing is good, aperture is good. Can't wait to get it out. Best part was it was one thing in an odds & ends bag that cost me $20.

Rikenon28_A.jpg

The second was straight up the product of OLAS. For some stoopid reason I started looking at M42 200/3.5s. There are a lot of them. I'd never heard of "Admiral." Loosely speaking, it appears to be Swiss for "Vivitar" or something. Anyway, this one was made under different brands, including Panagor, and maybe even Vivitar. I stumbled onto this one from an eBay seller I trust, and couldn't get it out of my head...and the seller accepted my offer.

Admiral200_4A.jpg

Admiral200_6A.jpg

Edit: I couldn't take the crappy images of the Admiral, so I retook them.

Also, one of the other items in my $20 grab bag was a 55mm Hoya Alpha UV filter that looked like it had been touch-evaluated by a daycare class. Cleaned up fine and went right on the rescued Rikenon.

Last edited:

Mountain_Man_79

Ah, yes. Comets, the icebergs of the sky.
Real Name
Chris
I just bought a pcmcia to compact flash adapter so I can take pictures with the other ridiculous item I just bought. A $25 Canon Power Shot 600 - Canon’s first consumer digital camera from 1996. All hail the 1/2 megapixel sensor:hail:
I need to stop watching Gordan Laing’s new retro review channel...

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
Could not resist an original E-P1; the first Olympus Micro Four Thirds. Less than 5,000 shutter count and in very good condition. Like the scroll wheel on the back, and the way the menu is instantly recognizable, although much simpler. No Super Control Panel though. :frown: Perhaps I need to look for a 17mm 2.8 pancake for it.

Olympus E-P1 1.jpg
Olympus E-P1 2.jpg
Olympus E-P1 3.jpg

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
This will count as "photo related" for me.
Because it's absolutely useless for anything else.

I give you my first iPhone. The 4S. It was given to me by my brother @AJ68. Why does he hate me?

DSC_0122-02.jpeg
DSC_0121-02.jpeg

Last edited:

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Could not resist an original E-P1; the first Olympus Micro Four Thirds. Less than 5,000 shutter count and in very good condition. Like the scroll wheel on the back, and the way the menu is instantly recognizable, although much simpler. No Super Control Panel though. :frown: Perhaps I need to look for a 17mm 2.8 pancake for it.
According to the fine manual, the E-P1 has a super control panel (pages 7, 23, 24, ...)

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
Also got me a real camera today. Bought it for the lens. Paid $140 for the combo. Seems reasonable. Will see next week when I get it...
416838481_54b92095-79ca-499c-9319-bbf51c56a390.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom