what photography related item did you buy this week?

Bob in Pittsburgh

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Bob (who would have guessed?)
Don't ask me why, but I bought a couple Tamrac Goblin Body Pouches (size 1.4). B&H had them marked down to $7.99 USD each, so I was compelled to buy two - one black and one pumpkin. I will be curious to see if they are the least bit useful.
1140_1919_goblin_body_pouch_1_4_1474021225_1281511.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Mountain_Man_79

Ah, yes. Comets, the icebergs of the sky.
Real Name
Chris
Finally located a site in Europe that had new replacement batteries for the old Leica I recently bought that was actually willing to ship them to the US (PSA parts). 35€ in shipping for 2 batteries at 23€ a pop was not an inexpensive investment ($100), but hopefully it’ll give me many years of use with my new Leica! Fingers crossed they show up with no issues - the site said they had more than 30 in stock.

Soran

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Dave
I use this for multiple programs. It is content aware, so switches the buttons and dials automatically to whatever program you have active at the time.

Attachments

• 20210510_131325.jpg
    20210510_131325.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 26

Michael Houston

Mu-43 Rookie
I bought a Panasonic Lumix 45-200 Mega OIS. Most of my stuff is Olympus, but I've been messing around with a Yi M1, and needed (or thought I needed) a tele with switchable IS. We'll see...

JensM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
As screename
Just bought a second hand Oly 15 mm BCL, and pondering getting hold of a ditto 9 mm. Both for the ongoing GX880 "project".

The drawback of getting the 9 mm is that I probably will find the one I already have, which have been misplaced for some years, the day after receiving the new one. :whistling:

MINDSHIFT GEAR PHOTOCROSS 13 BACKPACK, I have the 10 Sling, but it's a tight fit with the Oly 100-400, and heavy one one strap only. This will hopefully allow me more flexibility on longer walks..

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
This week's lucky dip:
2105-111-TG5.jpg

The camera came with the full case.
As did the lens; which was advertised as a "Yashica extending" lens, which intrigued me somewhat.
It's actually the Vivitar 70-150, though it did come with a Yashica front cap!
Oh yeah, £45 delivered.

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
Got a real POS pair of sticky dabber sensor cleaners as I was having issues with some spot on sensor this AM, probably during desert wind lens change.

The Rocket Blower made things worse. Maybe it charged the sensor with some static or something, but it was a mess. No doubt it blew some stuff into the body to reappear later.

Also tried the spinning butterfly brush (Another worthless and grossly over-priced POS, imho!) and it just moved the stuff around to the edges which are harder to clean. Tried a wet swab and that helped, but one large thing is still fighting me.

I really disliked the sticky dabber things as I've seen residual rings from them added to the sensor. Figured I could wet swab those away later as doen in the past. However, today the sticky dabbers are stuck to the lid of their case pretty well so I guess they are out of the running. Larger one finally broke loose from the lid when I set up the shot, but smaller one is stuck tight. i recall Sony had issues with some early run of sticky swabbers that damaged the IBIS or lifted the coating so they came out with a less sticky version. Still, these things seem to get sticker over time much like some old TV remotes, computer mice coverings, a known LED sensor loupe's plastic case, or even that already mentioned spinning POS sensor brush thing and its case too.

Sticky-brushes.jpg

Back to wet swabbing the thing.....

leuallen

Mu-43 Regular
T handle Allen wrench, 5/32, for attaching Acra plates to camera.

Velcro ties, 8 in long, to secure wrapped cables and cables on remote.

Small magnetic base level, about 2" long. Check level for panos. Do not always trust level indicator in camera.

Small LED flashlight, small enough to hold in my mouth. Use when working in dark. Headset options are too big and I never have them when I need them. The flashlight is small, always in my case, and always available.

ektar

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Don
Well, I couldn't resist, so one month and one day after the purchase:

Interesting approach to postage:

_5120019A.jpg

New-to-me 1966 Jupiter-9 85mm f2.0:

_5120020A.jpg

The description was "no oil on the diaphragm"... Well, "no" is apparently relative. On a preset lens, it doesn't matter unless there's enough for it to migrate. Focusing is firm but smooth. What worried me was that the preset ring didn't turn. The activating/adjusting (second) ring did, but I couldn't preset the aperture to anything other than f16. Well, I was feeling bold, and got out the repairman's friend, Ronsonol. A little dribble of that behind the ring and it loosened up. Not perfect, but functional. Now I just need to get some chores behind me and some sun in the sky.

Mountain_Man_79

Ah, yes. Comets, the icebergs of the sky.
Real Name
Chris

View attachment 887866

View attachment 887867

The description was "no oil on the diaphragm"... Well, "no" is apparently relative. On a preset lens, it doesn't matter unless there's enough for it to migrate. Focusing is firm but smooth. What worried me was that the preset ring didn't turn. The activating/adjusting (second) ring did, but I couldn't preset the aperture to anything other than f16. Well, I was feeling bold, and got out the repairman's friend, Ronsonol. A little dribble of that behind the ring and it loosened up. Not perfect, but functional. Now I just need to get some chores behind me and some sun in the sky.
Nice. That’s one of those crazy 20 bladed aperture blade lenses isn’t it? Always wanted to mess with one of them.

algold

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alex
Added a PD 3l sling for my small EDC kit.
Now have 3l, 5l and 6l slings, and a 20l zip backpack for a larger kit. PD grew up on me 🤣

0A8F5D04-F71C-437C-AF2B-10AE3387FB94.jpeg

Last edited:

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Dad Pun Joke Master Over Nine Thousand Meme Lord
Real Name
Ovidiu

View attachment 887866

View attachment 887867

That's one damn gorgeous piece of glass... It makes me go:
(Fun fact: this meme is as old as that lens, 1966)

Macroramphosis

Jack of Spades and an unfeasibly large wheelbarrow
Real Name
Roddy
I succumbed to a long felt desire and bought a set of Kenko tubes. Attached briefly to a S60mm and a Raynox 250 yesterday (for introductory purposes), they seem to be all that they're meant to be, though to be fair there is not a lot to go wrong with them. They're actually going to be used on the PZ45-175 mainly, for a project I have in mind, but they do make the Sigma into a decent longer length macro than my P30mm. I have a hunch they will also work really well with the P42.5mm for other purposes.

Here's another 'moss in flower' photo with the S60mm. There won't be many more moss photos, you'll be pleased to hear :) Their spring is nearly done....

P1390936.JPG

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
I succumbed to a long felt desire and bought a set of Kenko tubes. Attached briefly to a S60mm and a Raynox 250 yesterday (for introductory purposes), they seem to be all that they're meant to be, though to be fair there is not a lot to go wrong with them. They're actually going to be used on the PZ45-175 mainly, for a project I have in mind, but they do make the Sigma into a decent longer length macro than my P30mm. I have a hunch they will also work really well with the P42.5mm for other purposes.

Here's another 'moss in flower' photo with the S60mm. There won't be many more moss photos, you'll be pleased to hear :) Their spring is nearly done....

View attachment 887971
Are you sure that's moss?

Only it looks suspiciously like the top of my head head when I look in the mirror first thing in the morning. :eek-31:

And I'm curious about the exposure setting of that shot......1/3000s @ ISO 2500 :hmmm:

Looking forward to your next project.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Dad Pun Joke Master Over Nine Thousand Meme Lord
Real Name
Ovidiu

View attachment 887971
Not sure if you know this, and I do apologise if you do), but extension tubes are most effective with wide angle optics while magnification optics (Raynox for example) works best with telephoto optics and if you use them the opposite way their effectiveness is decreasing at square power. Given that Micro Four Thirds has 2x crop factor their effectiveness I a bit less "painful" compare to larger formats because "our" lenses are more wide-angle then almost any other format.
*Extension tubes work best under 50mm focal length.
*Magnification glass works best over 100mmm focal length.

I still have my Kenko extension tubes with AF for many years when I used them with Sigma 19mm f 2.8 and 60mm f 2.8 DN Art, I should probably try them with Panny Leica 15mm f 1.7, that lens is already awesome for flower shots but now that I think of it it might make it even more awesome.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom