what photography related item did you buy this week?

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Well ... used the money I got for my Little Oly sale (to my best friend) and got a Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm f 1.7 ASPH for use on street photography and family/indoor portraits, bought it used from CEX for 285 quid, condition looks okay on the lens (though the lens hood was so used that the pins that hold it in place are smoothed out so it's quite easy to bump it off the lens) and the only fault (of no major consequence) is 3 tiny pieces of debris inside the lens ... I am undecided if I should return it for that yet, I got it just today and I have a 7-day window of return.

Now the bigger problem is the misses is really pissed about me buying the lens because she can't understand why I need more lenses (then Oly 12-100mm Pro and Oly 100-400mm) ... I could try and explain and show her why but it would be in vain so I guess I will have to live with it (and her memory tends to be very long) ... now need to figure out how I can get the Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm f 1.7 ASPH Power OIS to have the other end of the spectrum ... and I swear the Olympus MC-14 WILL BE THE LAST LENS ... (but then there's lens filters and tripod, for group family pictures, and monopod and Gorillapod and ... *dies*)
You'll know things are bad if your credit card ever gets stolen and the Mrs never shuts off the card because the thief is spending less than you do.

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
My old gray cards were getting pretty banged up. Ordered a new one off Amazon and it is a darker gray than all my others along with a bit of blue too.

This one: https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Balance-Exposure-Digital-Photography/dp/B00CJ59AKK/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3U7CLEHRUQ8B1&dchild=1&keywords=neewer+grey+card&qid=1620270719&s=electronics&sprefix=neewer+gray+card,electronics,349&sr=1-3

Measured it with my Colormunki and the RGB= 100, 105, 109. hmmm....???... :hmmm:
Got out the (expensive, and no longer available) Sekonic Profile Calibration II Card and the gray on the back of it is exactly RGB= 118, 118, 118.

Excuse the OOF shot as camera didn't like contrast, but it shows the darker Neewer card well against the Sekonic. The Sekonic is clipped to a birch frame as the laminated thing has a tendency to warp in sunlight over 75 degrees and throws the calibration of the light meters off - but that's another matter and using the other side of the card.
Gray-Cards.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The Neewer 18% gray card throws the meter off about 1/3 stop. I wrote a "Dear sir, your product ...." email so waiting to see if they respond.

Added two days later:
Neewer did respond and gave me option to replace the cards or a refund. I went for replacement so we'll see how Round 2 of their gray card goes...

They did send me a new pack of cards. Unfortunately, they are as bad as the first set. RGB=101,107,111 for average of 106. Oh well, gray placemats for table.

Last edited:

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
Datacolor SpyderCube SC200:

https://www.amazon.com/Datacolor-SC...olor+cube&qid=1620424142&s=electronics&sr=1-3 It was shipped out of Oakland, CA and showed up pretty quick, faster than posted.

Last week I paid $38.08 for it on Amazon. Now it's up to $49.00 (???) Suggested list is $58.35 at the Datacolor website.

I don't know why the huge price difference. The one I bought says SC200, and the higher priced one says it is S3C01DRVP. Maybe a color change or something?

Dragging out my Colormunki Photo, since I didn't trust the Neewer 18% gray card above, it's gray is RGB=106,105,103 so it's also a bit darker than the Sekonic 18% gray which is perfect RGB=118,118,118 but maybe because it costs three/four times the SpyderCube's cost too. The Cube's white was RGB=232,231,227. Black was RGB=22,23,24. The black hole in it I couldn't read since the Colormunki uses a reflected white light beam so it wasn't fully black, only a couple of points down from the black side of the Cube.

Fwiw, I also checked my newest ColorChecker Passport (<1 yr. old) since it now has a gray card in it and the Colormunki was out and running. My old ColorChecker Passports didn't have one.
Gray Card RGB=120, 121, 120. It's pretty close to the Sekonic's calibration card which is also made by x-rite.
White Balance Card RGB=199, 200, 199.

Last edited:

doady

Mu-43 Veteran
You guys continue to suffer from GAS, I continue to suffer from BAS:

p2442697985-6.jpg

Passing Through and Lightstream by Nigel Grierson - ~$16 CAD each ($60 regular price)
For Your Consideration by Gianluca Galtrucco - ~$18 CAD ($92 regular price)

I did buy some Gobe ND filters (4 stop and 7 stop) during their recent sale and maybe Lightstream will provide some inspiration...

Lee Perrins

Mu-43 Regular
Finally picked up a 50-200 f2.8-3.5 for a decent price on eBay. Both it and the four thirds adapter should arrive tomorrow.

Lately I’ve been half-seriously considering buying a drone to play around with. I was eyeing up the DJI Mini2 or really stepping up to the DJI Air 2s that just came out with the 1” sensor.

But yesterday I was at Microcenter to return a mouse for my son and ran across the Mini 1 Fly More kit (w/ 2 spare batteries, case, and other parts) new in box on clearance for $256. Sold! Still a bit sorry not to have some of the features of the new models but for the price I’ll give it a go and maybe I can figure out if this drone stuff is really for me.

Real Name
Charles
Really working back into my photography. I purchased the Pana 7-14 f/4, the DCR-250, and the Sigma 56 f/1.4 this week and last. Looking to find a Velvet 56 and debating between the PL 15, Sigma 16, and Oly 17. I need the best resolution I can get but am blanching at the weight of the Sigma. I hear mixed arguments about the PL15 and Oly17.

felipegeek

Mu-43 Enthusiast
Real Name
Felipe
2 rolls of Bergger Pancro 400 and 2 of HP5 plus in 120 format for a Rolleiflex.
A couple weeks ago a 3 reel Paterson tank, a couple of Omega/Samigon reels for easier loading of film. Rodinal developer, Xtol developer, Fixer, some graduates for measuring/mixing and a few 99 cent 1 liter seltzer water bottles to put the mixed Xtol developer in. Traded a Ricoh Shotmaster P&S for an Olympus OM10 with OM 50mm 1.8, Vivitar 28mm 2.5, 80-200 4, Albinar 135 2.8.
Got 2 x Epson 4990 scanners from my workplace as depreciated/retired equipment and ordered some film holders since none were included.

Real Name
Troy
Really working back into my photography. I purchased the Pana 7-14 f/4, the DCR-250, and the Sigma 56 f/1.4 this week and last. Looking to find a Velvet 56 and debating between the PL 15, Sigma 16, and Oly 17. I need the best resolution I can get but am blanching at the weight of the Sigma. I hear mixed arguments about the PL15 and Oly17.

The PL15 is hands down the best wide prime in the system...

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
Finally got my hands on a Helios 44 lens.
It came attached to a pristine (and fully working) Zenit-E Moscow 80 Olympic edition, sat inside an excellent condition leather case.
Oh yes, the genuine Zenith Owner's Handbook (not shown), a working Hanimex flashgun and a neat little 3 x extender. And a Jessop's film. All for £30 :eek-31:

2105-01-TG5.jpg
2105-02-TG5.jpg
2105-03-TG5.jpg

All I need now is a nice little 42mm to MU4/3 adaptor and maybe I'll be able to get some lovely swirly bokeh like lots of you on here. :rolleyes:

doady

Mu-43 Veteran
Is it normal for a front element of a lens to be so reflective when photographed? Or is it just because of bright surroundings? I can see you, your fingers, your camera, everything.

Only film camera I ever had was a plastic, red point-and-shoot (Minolta?) but I never used it or even put any film into it. Maybe I still have it somewhere. Back in the day, I was actually seriously thinking of getting Voigtlander Bessa R2A or R3A but eventually I decided to skip film photography and get the digital Olympus C-5060WZ which I consider to be my very first camera. I don't think I will ever use film, but you never know.

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
Is it normal for a front element of a lens to be so reflective when photographed? Or is it just because of bright surroundings? I can see you, your fingers, your camera, everything.

Only film camera I ever had was a plastic, red point-and-shoot (Minolta?) but I never used it or even put any film into it. Maybe I still have it somewhere. Back in the day, I was actually seriously thinking of getting Voigtlander Bessa R2A or R3A but eventually I decided to skip film photography and get the digital Olympus C-5060WZ which I consider to be my very first camera. I don't think I will ever use film, but you never know.
I hope so. :eek-31:

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
Argus Autronic 1 with folding flash unit and case. I wasn't all that interested but the seller made me an offer of $12 so I bit. This has a built-in exposure meter and will supposedly set the exposure for you. He says everything works, we'll see. This has a fairly fast 50/2.8 Compu lens.

s-l1600 (3).jpg

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom