what photography related item did you buy this week?

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
THAT should be my last photo acquisition
I'm Not Buying Another Camera For At Least 12 Months, and other hilarious jokes you can tell y...png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Bob in Pittsburgh

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Bob (who would have guessed?)
Landscape P7040483.jpg

doady

Mu-43 Veteran
I've been getting interested in 8mm F1.8 lately too. A small, bright, ultra-wide prime would complement 12-100mm F4 better than 7-14mm F2.8. I shoot mostly cityscapes so I prefer straight lines without software correction, but that could become less important if technology and software improves. But maybe that is looking too far ahead, and I'm not sure exactly what I would use the fisheye effect for, and for over $1300 CAD, I probably should be sure. Unless there is big discount at Henry's or Vistek (unlikely), I will have to continue waiting for 8-25mm F4.

Zapp DJR

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Darek
Xiaoyi 42,5 f/1.8
Decided to risk 46EUR, and the result is not that bad (SOOC):

20122907.JPG

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
I've been getting interested in 8mm F1.8 lately too… I shoot mostly cityscapes so I prefer straight lines without software correction
Everyone talks about fisheye "distortion," but rectilinear (from Latin: "correct the lines") also has distortion! They preserve lines and angles, at the expense of areas, whereas fisheyes preserve areas at the expense of lines.

So, for software manipulation, I'd say the fisheye is better, as it will have more pixels in the corners and edges than a rectilinear will have. Just try putting a face in the corner of a rectilinear lens, then talk to me about fisheye "distortion!"

… for over $1300 CAD, I probably should be sure.
If you shop carefully, you can find decent ones for much less. I paid under C$900 for mine (US$669), from Southeastern Camera. (Last one!)

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Everyone talks about fisheye "distortion," but rectilinear (from Latin: "correct the lines") also has distortion! They preserve lines and angles, at the expense of areas, whereas fisheyes preserve areas at the expense of lines.

So, for software manipulation, I'd say the fisheye is better, as it will have more pixels in the corners and edges than a rectilinear will have. Just try putting a face in the corner of a rectilinear lens, then talk to me about fisheye "distortion!"

If you shop carefully, you can find decent ones for much less. I paid under C$900 for mine (US$669), from Southeastern Camera. (Last one!)
No, I demand that we cheat physics!

Zapp DJR

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Darek
Looking closer, I think you may be correct!
So, which colour XiaoYi do you have?

20123162lca1.jpg

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom