what photography related item did you buy this week?

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
I have two Nikon LS 2000 scanners, one just refurbished and ready to run, one with a faulty mainboard. The latter one was mine from many years ago. I have all the accessories for both but one thing is wrong. The SCSI card was recognized in my windows 10 computer, but the scanner is not being recognized since it needs a SCSI driver which will not load. So I did the normal thing--put the Nikon Scanner away and went to eBay. Found a Pacific Image 3650 U scanner for the unheard of price of $39.95 plus shipping of $15. I jumped on it and it arrived today. It looks brand new and was in plastic in its original box. My wife, who is more computer literate, hooked it up, downloaded a trial copy of VueScan onto her computer and it worked. Not only did it work, it gave 44 Mb scans at the highest resolution with the anti-scratch ICE technology doing its thing. Mind you, my wife was used to a huge and very pricey drum scanner in her lab and she was impressed. Total cost with 3 year insurance----$58.08. Now I call that a steal.
Pretty sure I dislike both you and your wife... :biggrin:

jhawk1000

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mel
Here are a couple of my scans from the "find".

2021-04-08-0010.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
2021-04-08-0013.jpg
2021-04-08-0017.jpg

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Would be very interested in hearing your opinion of this flash once you've had time to try it out and get comfortable. (Granted I'd have a different use but still). I'd have bought one before but never had any experience with the brand.
It is a very nice flash for macro work and nice and portable. One of the few models from Godox that comes with a diffuser
The only issue (really just a consideration to be aware of) is battery life. Since it only uses 2 batteries instead of four it looses power to quicky charge faster. Only matters if you are like me and take a lot of photos fairly quickly. Just keep a spare set with you.

For the price you cant go wrong

Last edited:

jimr.pdx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim R
I've been speculating on faster optics for my eM1.ii via FourThirds classics. Reasonably cheap thrills!! 🥳

I picked up a 40-150mm f/3.5-4.5 for testing a couple weeks back, and added a blue-stripe 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 vII tonight. Somehow I'll hold off on the kilogram 50-200 f/2.8-3.5 and pretend the 40-150 is sufficient (plus I already have a good copy of the ZD 70-300).

Zman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Pentacon 50mm f1.8 lens in M42 mount. As much as I can tell, this is the first version type with the two silver rings around the lens barrel, and the aperture ring having a black/silver zebra pattern. The Pentacon 50 is very similar but not identical to the Meyer-Optik Görlitz Oreston 50mm f1.8
What I couldn't find is what years this version lens was produced, so if anyone can answer that question, please let me know.
P4100002_edited-1.jpg

And a sample pic from today ...
omd041021_36_edited-2.jpg

Projectdb

New to Mu-43
Not so much something I picked up, but something I missed and will be kicking myself for a while.

Screenshot_20210408_091201_com.android.chrome.jpg

I just happen to be passing through that area next weekend and decided to peek around. As soon as I saw it, I contacted the seller.....he had given the whole package it away the day before to his daughter.

That one is going to haunt me :(

But, to ease the pain, I did pick up a 12-40 2.8 for a great price from a forum member here and also grabbed a panny 45-175 for a decent price.

Last edited:

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Not so much something I picked up, but something I missed and will be kicking myself for a while.

View attachment 882442

I just happen to be passing through that area next weekend and decided to peek around. As soon as I saw it, I contacted the seller.....he had given the whole package it away the day before to his daughter.

That one is going to haunt me :(

But, to ease the pain, I did pick up a 12-40 2.8 for a great price from a forum member here and also grabbed a panny 45-175 for a decent price.
Talk about a fire sale. You probably could have resold half the kit and come out ahead.

I have been alleviating my GAS recently through purchases of accessories. This week it was a couple of step-up rings, a Peak Design Capture camera clip, and a small tripod for low-to-the-ground macro shooting.

I usually balk at the price of Peak Design gear, but I have to say their quality of construction is excellent, perhaps even worth the money.
ED2418C1-EFEC-4F26-A6CD-C984F3A89E16.jpeg

I was looking for small tripod for macro shooting that met the following criteria: lightweight, folded short, and supported ground-level shooting. The Oben CTT-1000L Carbon Fiber Tabletop Tripod (Long) met these criteria. It weighs 1.1 lb with head, folds to 15”, and the minimum shooting height is 4.4” with the legs spread horizontal. The small head only supports up to 11 lb, but that’s more than sufficient for m4/3 macro gear.
7468C261-90CC-4A71-B0AF-D9CD19D8B74C.jpeg

Projectdb

New to Mu-43
Talk about a fire sale. You probably could have resold half the kit and come out ahead.
Most definitely. It took the seller a few hours to respond. During that stretch I was planning exactly that. I have a sad notebook page with the action plan.

I figured it was fairly safe from sale as it's a tiny town in northern Minnesota and posted on the nearest craigslist, which was a bit of a drive.

I've constructed a narrative to cope with the loss. In it, the sellers daughter is currently finding out she loves photography and runs the shutter count up on her journey.

Always next time I guess!

Projectdb

New to Mu-43
I have been alleviating my GAS recently through purchases of accessories. This week it was a couple of step-up rings, a Peak Design Capture camera clip, and a small tripod for low-to-the-ground macro shooting.

I usually balk at the price of Peak Design gear, but I have to say their quality of construction is excellent, perhaps even worth the money.
View attachment 882496

I was looking for small tripod for macro shooting that met the following criteria: lightweight, folded short, and supported ground-level shooting. The Oben CTT-1000L Carbon Fiber Tabletop Tripod (Long) met these criteria. It weighs 1.1 lb with head, folds to 15”, and the minimum shooting height is 4.4” with the legs spread horizontal. The small head only supports up to 11 lb, but that’s more than sufficient for m4/3 macro gear.
View attachment 882504
I absolutely love the capture clip. PD is definitely expensive, but they seem to be a relatively ethical company and the products are high quality.

A debate could be had as to whether the quality meets the price, but the lifetime warranty is nice for peace of mind. I had a zipper track lose a chunk of teeth on a backpack and they replaced the entire bag with no fuss.

Stringer

Mu-43 Regular
Got myself a Olympus 100-400 lens.
Have shopped for the last month as it was marked out of stock nearly everywhere. What surprised me was the best price I could find was in Canada, we nearly always pay the highest price.

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
7artisans 35mm f1.2 lens.

This is my 2nd copy. I had to return the first one because it was extremely tight and difficult to mount on both my Pen F and E-M1ii. Also, the lens didn't engage the pin on the camera mounts unless I wiggled it around a bit.
The 2nd copy works perfectly. Hoping to take it out for a trial run this afternoon.

View attachment 868395
I'm considering one, also for the Pen-F . Mainly for the Sonnar design in a native mount. How have you found the lens?

Zman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I'm considering one, also for the Pen-F . Mainly for the Sonnar design in a native mount. How have you found the lens?
What attracted me to the lens to fill that gap in my prime line-up was the great price and compact size. It looks great on a Pen F and the focus ring is smooth. The aperture ring is "clickless". Wide open it gives a nice bokeh, and it's not exactly sharp, but fine for my needs. Stopping down improves the sharpness. I think it's certainly value for the cost, but be aware that the tight mounting issue is a concern. Buy from a seller with an easy return policy. I bought mine from Amazon and they sent out the 2nd copy to me before I needed to return the original lens. Hope this helps.

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
What attracted me to the lens to fill that gap in my prime line-up was the great price and compact size. It looks great on a Pen F and the focus ring is smooth. The aperture ring is "clickless". Wide open it gives a nice bokeh, and it's not exactly sharp, but fine for my needs. Stopping down improves the sharpness. I think it's certainly value for the cost, but be aware that the tight mounting issue is a concern. Buy from a seller with an easy return policy. I bought mine from Amazon and they sent out the 2nd copy to me before I needed to return the original lens. Hope this helps.
Thank you. I don't expect overt sharpness wide open, it is after all a Sonnar! Whilst I'm not expecting a Zeiss 50/1.5 , I would still like some of it's multi-character performance, and that means less than "perfect" optical output at large apertures, and then a more typical output as you stop down. Of course, the extra crop factor of mft reduces these effects somewhat.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom