what photography related item did you buy this week?

Dinobe

Mu-43 Veteran
Tenba DNA 10 bag.

Holds my E-M1 with 12-40, 40-150 f2.8, 9-18, and 17mm 1.8 and other bits and bobs.

The quality of materials of the bag is just great and has a really nice size, not too big nor too small.

The magnetic clasps feel a bit gimmicky though

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
A three-month back-order finally showed up from B&H Photo to complement the Olympus system which I'll also keep. :yahoo:

Nikon-Z7-II-sharpen-stabilize.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
Well it looks like I just dodged a bullet. I had been thinking about buying an Olympus 75-300mm f4.8 II lens. It has been on markdown for a while, at $399.99 U.S. Dollars ($150.00 off list price). When I went to getolympus.com a few minutes ago I saw they have extended the sale price through April 4th.

I have been having GAS attacks over this lens for a while, so I will probably end up buying one. But that decision can be put off for a while.
Do it ! Worth every cent ! :whistling:
didou_luge_P2270414_v1.jpg

Is this for the Panasonic pancake 14mm?

It is and hopefully it will fit.
Should do though as it's a universal 46mm thread.
I'm not familiar with how the tightening knob mechanically works but I'm expecting that the hood is screwed in close to as far as it goes and then positioned square and then tightened.
It's being sent from China so I could have it in one....or maybe six weeks!

Good to hear. I just purchased one today. I just sold my 300mm pro, but for those times I still want the reach, this seemed by far a really affordable way to still have a 300mm reach.
It's also fairly compact and light for such a lens, I also got one last year when Olympus was doing a cashback promotion and Amazon having a discount at the same time, ended up paying less than 325 EUR for the lens. I don't need the reach often, but it's a nice option to pack when I feel it might come handy, especially since my only other >75mm tele option would be the rather beefy 40-150 Pro.

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
A Nikon Z 1.4 TC for my Nikon Z70-200 f2.8/S
It is quite expensive so I waited quite a while for a discount of £50 to come up. When it arrived I could not try it out as I needed to update the firmware on my Z6 to 3.2 - but didn’t have an XQD card reader so had to order one of those - update done and lens now operating with the TC - seems like very good close focussing capabilities for pseudo macro

Also very recently bought a Smallrig bracket for the Z6 at a very reasonable £28.00 which gives me somewhere for my fourth finger to rest nicely - camera feels quite bulky with this added but more secure and it affords some protection to the base when putting it down - may or may not leave the end plate on for same reason (protection)
2214CCB3-A618-4EE9-985E-02AFF4F2B8B3.jpeg
CBD5838A-C305-4C47-AD29-18B4F9F75874.jpeg
CDB66BB8-CEF9-47E8-BEEB-2C9672E5879C.jpeg
A14C0FAB-2571-4E97-BF6E-00F6ACAFF260.jpeg
53207041-B2E7-4FCC-866B-7CA3E5DAAC25.jpeg

Last edited:

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
Hooray - the 100-400 has arrived.

Kudos to all UK bird photographers at this time of year. I don't do birds, but considering it's still illegal to go plane spotting unless you live at an airport, needs must. I lasted 15 minutes. I'm freezing.

Two observations. Firstly, it should not be possible to hand hold an 800mm equiv lens at 1/50sec at all. Secondly, I need to buy a camouflage hat.

robin_wrong.jpg

Uncropped, processed in Lightroom.

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
A three-month back-order finally showed up from B&H Photo to complement the Olympus system which I'll also keep. :yahoo:

View attachment 876584

Would be interested to hear your thoughts on the Nikon Z system - I assume it is new to you @Mack 👍
I have the Z6 (Mk1) with the 24-70 f4.0, the Z70-200 f2.8 S and I’ve just bought the 1.4 TC which apparently performs superbly on the 70-200
Need to get out and use mine but restricted to home at the moment due to Covid lockdown regulations

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
Would be interested to hear your thoughts on the Nikon Z system - I assume it is new to you @Mack 👍
I have the Z6 (Mk1) with the 24-70 f4.0, the Z70-200 f2.8 S and I’ve just bought the 1.4 TC which apparently performs superbly on the 70-200
Need to get out and use mine but restricted to home at the moment due to Covid lockdown regulations

Too new for me to comment much on yet. Still trying to sort through its behavior and menu. Going to their Base ISO 64 from the Olympus Base ISO 200 takes some adjusting too as well.

I did some preliminary fine-focus AF tuning using the Reikan FoCal software update (So far not bad with a -1 to +1 on new 24-70mm f/2.8 S zoom, and the F-mounts are also running pretty close with about a -2 at most on the FTZ adapter. Then I had to generate an exposure profile for the Sekonic meters (L-858DG and L-478). Then made a color profile for it off the x-rite SG card but finding my editing software isn't yet ready to take on the Z7 II. Found out both my DxO Photolab 4 and Exposure X6 need updates for the new body so another wait. Color does look good though.

Aside, I had a D800E and a D7000 that I sold to KEH to make the switch. I still have their "Holy Trinity" G Series trio of zooms and some other lenses, but they are all F-mount and I'll use the FTZ adapter for them in the meantime. Only Z mount I bought was the 24-70mm f/2.8 S-lens that I got to start with. I thought about their f/4 kit lens with the Z7 II, but that Ricco Youtuber guy likes the f/2.8 sharpness better than the f/4 in his video comparison of the two lenses so I held off for the faster f/2.8 with that trick electronic distance scale viewer and f/stop on the lens.

I'll be looking to ditch my old 70-200mm f/2.8 VR-II lens and get the new Z mount 70-200mm f/2.8 S one soon. I'll expect better sharpness out of it, although my old 70-200mm was probably my sharpest out of the Nikon "Trinity Trio."

I just did a quick bird test of the Z-II with a Nikon 300mm f/4 PF (Fresnel) and the FTZ adapter this AM. I was pleased I had no issues with the brown feather fiber blotches at all! Usually they'll blotch up together at times being close to them (<12 feet) with the Oly 300mm f/4 and even with the MC-14 TC. Olympus really needs to work on that "blotchiness" issue, imho. I cannot understand how five brown feather fibers going become a large single brown blotch, and then exit the other side of the blotch separately. They all should be seen as separate fibers, but Olympus just cannot do it. Happens with all three of my Olympus 20MP cameras (i.e. Pen-F, E-M1 Mark II, and the E-M1X), but it doesn't occur in the Nikon Z7 II so far. Even the white fibers are rendered distinct and separate in the Z7 II. Must be the sensor resolution, or something's wrong in the Olympus rendering engine someplace.

I will say the Olympus cameras seem much quieter and solid sounding than the Nikon Z7 II which does make some clunks and noises at times when it starts and shuts down and hibernates. It's just a noisier camera overall. The Nikon EVF is much better though.

I was looking at your SmallRig L-plate. I got the RRS one and the strap lug on it is more to the underside on it than your SmallRig one. The Camdapter leather hand-strap goes under and across the battery door so it becomes an annoyance to get the battery out as the strap is there blocking access. The SmallRig might be better there being it is outside the battery door area and shouldn't cover and block access like the RRS one does.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
More vintage stuff.

First a Pentax 110 system from Barry.

And this very cool Ciro-flex made in Detroit, MI back in the day. Eventually this model was produced by Graflex.

s-l1600 (5).jpg

And this selection of processing gear
K3L (1).jpg

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom