what photography related item did you buy this week?

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
Hey John. I grabbed FastStone - it can edit and convert both the old NEF raws as well as the old ORF raws from my E-500 which DxO can’t do either. However it handles the NEFs very poorly, so I’m thinking I’ll stick with jpg on the Nikon (although I’ve got a few more things to try). It does however handle the ORF files nicely. I’ll shoot jpg plus raw on the E-500. Thanks for the suggestion.
Chris, I downloaded some D1x RAW files from you-know-who, and Bridge and Photoshop CC both work properly with the files. I haven't tried CS6 or CS5 with them yet.

Mountain_Man_79

Do all the interns get Glocks?
Real Name
Chris
Chris, I downloaded some D1x RAW files from you-know-who, and Bridge and Photoshop CC both work properly with the files. I haven't tried CS6 or CS5 with them yet.
Well imagine this, but the free Nikon software link you pointed me towards works like a charm on the files. No need for me to surrender to Adobe yet.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
Waiting on UPS to deliver a 12-100. Last time they delivered to the wrong house...it was interesting, to say the least. This time the delivery info requests a signature, we will see how that works out.

Wow. You mean they actually get round to delivering? UPS have been sitting on my international parcels for up to 14 days and sending them back to me. According to the driver, it's because they can't cope with the volume.

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
Well imagine this, but the free Nikon software link you pointed me towards works like a charm on the files. No need for me to surrender to Adobe yet.
Great to hear, mate.

Just checked. CS5 and ACR 6.7 will also open the Nikon D1x RAW files.

Some early versions of Photoshop are now downloadable from Adobe for free.
If these support your camera, they are still extremely powerful editing tools. Check the Adobe web site.

kanakanatwo

Mu-43 Rookie
photo_2021-02-26_16-10-07.jpg

So my $30 E-PL2 came in yesterday. It works fine, mechanically, and surprisingly isn't in too bad a shape cosmetically, all things considered. The only thing is that the front grip is missing (have seen this issue in more than a few 2nd-hand E-PL2 units when I was window shopping).

Before I try my hand at DIYing a grip for myself, does anyone know where one might find a third-party replacement? I've tried eBay, Amazon, AliEx, Etsy, Shopee... No luck. I know it's an old camera but I find it a bit strange that I literally can't find anything online...

kanakanatwo

Mu-43 Rookie
@kanakanatwo Have you thought of cutting a piece of leather to fit. Use it suede side out. Glue it on with a silicone adhesive.
Yes, as I mentioned, I will most likely end up DIYing something if I can't find one that's premade. It's just curious to me that nothing currently exists. I know it's a 10-year old camera, but still...

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
A PixaPro light stand with stud from Essential
28ED1619-9671-495D-85F8-B2ACD36CEB46.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Photo.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
Real Name
Brian
Wow. You mean they actually get round to delivering? UPS have been sitting on my international parcels for up to 14 days and sending them back to me. According to the driver, it's because they can't cope with the volume.
Can you put them in a smaller box? :rofl:

As an aside, I bought a microphone boom arm t'other day, which was 800mm long and about 25mm in diameter.
I couldn't believe it when the delivery driver opened his van and struggled with a large box, 750mm x 500mm x 300mm.
Yes, they mustn't do one long enough, so it had to be in diagonally.
The thing was, it had 85 of those air bags in the box too. :whistling:

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
Can you put them in a smaller box? :rofl:

As an aside, I bought a microphone boom arm t'other day, which was 800mm long and about 25mm in diameter.
I couldn't believe it when the delivery driver opened his van and struggled with a large box, 750mm x 500mm x 300mm.
Yes, they mustn't do one long enough, so it had to be in diagonally.
The thing was, it had 85 of those air bags in the box too. :whistling:

Be grateful they did that, because if they didn't it would have arrived in the new banana shaped design.

Your package gets picked up, goes to the local depot, on to a regional hub, possibly to another regional hub, then local depot, then out for delivery.

A typical courier journey is: supplier>van>wire cage with big gaps in the sides for your boom to poke through and stuff piled on top five feet high>conveyor>conveyor>wire cage with big gaps etc>via lorry>conveyor>another wire cage with big gaps and heavy things dumped on top>lorry>wire cage etc yada yada>van piled up to the roof>your place.

.....and my mate couldn't grasp why his glass fireguards were all arriving smashed up, even though he put 'fragile' tape on the box :dash2:

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
Yes, as I mentioned, I will most likely end up DIYing something if I can't find one that's premade. It's just curious to me that nothing currently exists. I know it's a 10-year old camera, but still...
391699173_b86c2069-79e2-4a06-901e-9e8dd1a25a05.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Did this on this old Minolta.

Q&D job (piece of worn out jacket and melt glue), to sell the camera, as the rubber handgrip had desintegrated.

But, honest, it's feeling better, and gives a more comfortable grip, than the original!!

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Not photo related but my last (and I mean last as in never again) buy from the UK was a book I ordered as a Christmas gift from Blackwells.
(Nevil Shute's On the beach if anyone is interested.)
I ordered it about a week before Christmas and expected it to arrive before New year, it arrived last week!
And that was only after I had payed as much in tax and handling fee as the books price! If it had been delivered before Christmas I would not have had to pay the tax and handling.
Never again!

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
Not photo related but my last (and I mean last as in never again) buy from the UK was a book I ordered as a Christmas gift from Blackwells.
I ordered it about a week before Christmas and expected it to arrive before New year, it arrived last week!
And that was only after I had payed as much in tax and handling fee as the books price! If it had been delivered before Christmas I would not have had to pay the tax and handling.
Never again!

It's a good book :)

What did you have to pay Bo?

It should have been 6% on the cost of the goods/postage price (VAT), no duty, and a handling fee charged by the Post Office for collecting the VAT. (assuming that they do not waive this for small orders, say, SEK 250?).

Were you penalised because it did not require a customs declaration (when posted) and it was therefore missing?

Last edited:

Brodhall

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Sue
Never again!
I have now resorted to Amazon.de, anything coming from the UK takes an age, and as you said the handling fee is usually way in excess of the additional tax :-(

Brodhall

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Sue
It's a good book :)

What did you have to pay Bo?

It should have been 6% on the cost of the goods (VAT), no duty, and a handling fee charged by the Post Office for collecting the VAT. (assuming that they do not waive this for small orders, say, SEK 250?).

Were you penalised because it did not require a customs declaration (when posted) and it was therefore missing?
I bought a second hand vintage salt cellar, paid£10, from Etsy, charge £1 tax and £9 handling fee. It was declared when posted - go figure

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
Never again!
You just gotta love PostNord! Just when you think they can't get any worse, they prove you wrong!
So the UK has joined China on the black list...

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom