what photography related item did you buy this week?

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I seem to have joined the large lens club...

View attachment 874270
How is the zoom ring to turn, on your lens?
I tried that lens a year ago, and the zoom ring was very STIFF to turn.
As best as I could figure, I think this was because the throw was only about 60 degrees, so it needed a fair bit of force to cam the optics out/in.
Because it was so stiff, it was also difficult to make fine adjustment in the focal length.

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
How is the zoom ring to turn, on your lens?
I tried that lens a year ago, and the zoom ring was very STIFF to turn.
As best as I could figure, I think this was because the throw was only about 60 degrees, so it needed a fair bit of force to cam the optics out/in.
Because it was so stiff, it was also difficult to make fine adjustment in the focal length.
It's actually not stiff at all, it feels just right. I don't know if it's because this lens was used, or if it's just a better fit than some of them, I definitely noticed some reports of stiff zoom ring in reviews.

Last edited:

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
I'll have to compare the dimensions and weight of the new acquisition to my wife's 12-32mm on the GF7, just for laughs.
The GF7 is 3 grams lighter. Not sure how the weight of the 14-42 EZ compares with the 12-32. However mine has the monumentally heavy JJC self-opening lens cap on it, which must weigh several grams, at least ... ;) .

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
I bought a bag of hotshoe covers...want me to mail you a black one?
Thanks very much for the offer, Don, but I have lots of black ones. They live in the camera's original box.

I, too, bought a bag of them. Red and pink ones! When you drop one, or put it somewhere for safekeeping, you can find the bloody thing again!!

Like my OTG cable that's here somewhere. I bought another one this morning ... this one will live attached to my SD card reader, in the pocket of my tablet case.

I also bought some micro USB to USB-C connectors, ditto.

Other buys this morning were 2x 128GB micro SD cards and 2x 32GB SD cards.

Today or tomorrow I will prepare the 128GB cards for our phones. Existing 2x 32GB microSD will be prepped as overflow cards for my E-M1 MkI and MkII. The two new 32GB SD cards will be used with my E-M1 MkII and the two existing 16GB cards I use in it will be used in my E-PM2.

Lots of stuffing about. All my cards are named, both on the card and with a couple of text files. I never play mix-n-match with cards between devices.

So every card will be physically labelled, then formatted using SDFormatter, then in the device it will be used in, then back into the card reader to be labelled and have text files copied to them. Quite a performance!

MadMarco

Mu-43 Veteran
Bought a second-hand Panasonic 1.4x teleconverter to go with my Panasonic 50-200. It's in really good condition with the caps and bag, but no box (I knew that before buying) and was much cheaper than the new price. Optically it seems perfect to my eyes.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

First outing at the weekend

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Bought a second-hand Panasonic 1.4x teleconverter to go with my Panasonic 50-200. It's in really good condition with the caps and bag, but no box (I knew that before buying) and was much cheaper than the new price. Optically it seems perfect to my eyes.

View attachment 874325
First outing at the weekend
View attachment 874324
I have been waiting to go to a photo show to buy the 50-200 and hopefully get the converter for free.

CD77

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Chris
Bought a new Smallrig strap with quick release fixings. It includes spare quick release fixings and an Arca Swiss QR plate to which the quick release fixings can fit.

My plan is to use the main QRFs on the camera lugs and attach the strap to the camera when using M43 lenses, and attach the QR plate and spare QRFs to the tripod foot of my O50-200 SWD so I can quickly move the strap onto the lens.

Seems pretty good so far but I won’t get to use it in anger until the weekend.

https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-camera-shoulder-strap-psc2428.html

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
I have ordered one of these.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sekonic-Flash-Master-L-358-Digital/dp/B00007E89K

I completely screwed up and sold my Minolta Autometer for very little money before realising that it wasn't incompatible with my flash units - it was reading the pre flashes :dash2:

Bought a Gossen Sixtomat, which is a fine and accurate meter (realised my error when it started to behave exactly like the Minola did) - thought I could get by without a swivel head - but actually, with the cone at the end of the meter at right angles to the display, it's a PITA when you are having to reach in to a light tent to balance lighting.

So, got a secondhand Sekonik en-route. It has an adjustable invercone, swivel head and it lights up like a Christmas tree when the light drops below 6EV. Provided it checks out okay, I'll sell the Gossen on 😷

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Lens hoods for my kit.
These are very good, so good in fact, that I’m thinking JJC make lens hoods for the camera manufacturers....

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Lens hoods for my kit.
These are very good, so good in fact, that I’m thinking JJC make lens hoods for the camera manufacturers.... View attachment 874419
You have had better luck than me.
ALL of the plastic JJC hoods that I have bought have needed "fiddling" to get them to fit properly. (mine: Olympus 40-150R, 75-300, 12-40/2.8. schools: Canon 18-135 (x5))
Most were tight, or so TIGHT that it would not turn to mount onto the lens.

SyZyGy

New to Mu-43
An on camera radio flash trigger.
Godox XPro (Flashpoint) was 57% off, and I'd just bought two flashes here, so... purchase.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
You have had better luck than me.
ALL of the plastic JJC hoods that I have bought have needed "fiddling" to get them to fit properly. (mine: Olympus 40-150R, 75-300, 12-40/2.8. schools: Canon 18-135 (x5))
Most were tight, or so TIGHT that it would not turn to mount onto the lens.
Note you said plastic. Agreed.

The metal JJC hood for the 75mm f1.8 is an excellent and reversible item.

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
Thanks very much for the offer, Don, but I have lots of black ones. They live in the camera's original box.

I, too, bought a bag of them. Red and pink ones! When you drop one, or put it somewhere for safekeeping, you can find the bloody thing again!!

Like my OTG cable that's here somewhere. I bought another one this morning ... this one will live attached to my SD card reader, in the pocket of my tablet case.

I also bought some micro USB to USB-C connectors, ditto.

Other buys this morning were 2x 128GB micro SD cards and 2x 32GB SD cards.

Today or tomorrow I will prepare the 128GB cards for our phones. Existing 2x 32GB microSD will be prepped as overflow cards for my E-M1 MkI and MkII. The two new 32GB SD cards will be used with my E-M1 MkII and the two existing 16GB cards I use in it will be used in my E-PM2.

Lots of stuffing about. All my cards are named, both on the card and with a couple of text files. I never play mix-n-match with cards between devices.

So every card will be physically labelled, then formatted using SDFormatter, then in the device it will be used in, then back into the card reader to be labelled and have text files copied to them. Quite a performance!
Don't forget to set the text file as read only.
Maybe also a copy of this as read only and hidden.

And new SD cards for important things (like cameras) should be tested with H2testw, to be really sure.

I'm also copying a nice icon to the root of the card, and an autorun.inf file, set to R/O, and hidden.
Nice to have the card window open itself when inserted into a PC.

Edit: must be tough to label the MicroSD cards physically...

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
@Erich_H I label the micro-SD to SD carrier with liquid paper on the back.

The files cannot be seen by the camera, and provide immediate proof of ownership, as does entering copyright (etc) info into the camera body f/w 'slot'.

I always use SDFormatter to do a long format of any new card. Then format in-camera, then apply physical and digital labels.

I've only ever had one card fail, and the files are intact. However, the card cannot be altered, and neither SDFormatter nor Windows can reformat it (nor cameras).

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom