what photography related item did you buy this week?

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
I picked up an extra battery for my Panasonic G85 this week. Saving up to buy the Panasonic 100-300.
You're going to need the aftermarket lens collar, too.
Personally, I'd recommend the Olympus 75-300, which is lighter, less expensive and just as good IQ. The wider FL comes in handy.

I bought another book about bird biology and behavior. Knowing your subject is a great way to improve your photography!

I think I'm transitioning from "a photographer who shoots birds" to a "birder who takes pictures". On my last outting I didn't even bring a camera (other than my smartphone).

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
More shipping horror! I got home Friday to find the 'package' with my 1948 Argus Argoflex E on the table. Good God, who would do this? I immediately thought of @danelkins shipment from B&H. This wasn't as bad as that and it was from an ebayer, so maybe not a surprise.

I opened the unpadded envelope to find another unpadded envelope, then the case. Thankfully Argus made good cases and tough cameras, it seems none the worse for wear and in fact looks almost new. A good cleanup of the lenses/viewing screen and a general wipe down and it'll be ready to shoot.
DSC05221.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
DSC05224.JPG
DSC05254.JPG
DSC05259.JPG

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Looks quite nice! What format is that?
Most of the Argoflex E cameras (not to be confused with the Argoflex 40 or 75) will take 620 or 120. Some of the very late ones and the 'II', 'EM', and 'EF' versions require modification for 120. This is a late one but it should be fine with a 620 take-up spool. So far I've been lucky in that every vintage camera I've purchased has come with a take up spool.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
I haven't bought it yet BUT I am so tempted to get a replacement pen for my Asus Zenbook Pro Duo (that's the photography relationship, I use the pen on 80% of all the pictures I edit on my laptop) because Asus is an arse and does not offer replacement nibs for it's Asus SA200H active pen ... forcing me to pay 50$ for a pen that comes with one stock nib and one backup nib ... and this would be my 3rd pen in 1.5 years. Talk about being greedy and/or inconsiderate ... at least with Apple and Microsoft, you can actually buy replacement nibs.
But I am holding off right now and I'm waiting for Asus support to reply on compatibility and another brand pen supports, some peeps say Microsoft Surface 3 Pen might work ... but still, a stupid design of a 3.000 $ machine where the main focus (and adverts) are on pen support and creative usage.

JensM

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
As screename
Am somewhat on a roll, so added to last weekends stuff (G9 grip/battery, PL 15mm, P20mm and a GX1 with power zoom) with a GX9 with add-on handgrip, a 12-32, a 45-150 and a Nissin 40 something in a bundle. Everything secondhand, and some at bottom prices.

Last edited:

JensM

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
As screename
Wow! I don't feel so bad now!
I am planning a slim down sale in the near future, probably the three "new" kit lenses, the Nissin and some primes I have from earlier on, but that has become surplus to requirements (or lust for other primes). When done, I would be in the black for the GX1 and 9 houses and be soundly underway towards a PL 25. Depending on how I like the GX9, I may ending up either off-loading that or my GX8. :drinks:

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Am somewhat on a roll, so added to last weekends stuff (G9 grip/battery, PL 15mm, P20mm and a GX1 with power zoom) with a GX9 with add-on handgrip, a 12-32, a 45-150 and a Nissin 40 something in a bundle. Everything secondhand, and some at bottom prices.
If it is the Nissin i40 I found the battery compartment contacts sag with time and now I have to pack the negative ends of the battery with some little bits of folded aluminium foil to raise the height a bit. I put these on the top of the negative ends and close the door gently so not to dislodge them.
Great little flash and so easy to adjust compared to other I have used.

ChuckG

New to Mu-43
You're going to need the aftermarket lens collar, too.
Personally, I'd recommend the Olympus 75-300, which is lighter, less expensive and just as good IQ. The wider FL comes in handy.

I bought another book about bird biology and behavior. Knowing your subject is a great way to improve your photography!

I think I'm transitioning from "a photographer who shoots birds" to a "birder who takes pictures". On my last outting I didn't even bring a camera (other than my smartphone).
Thanks for the info. When it is close to the time to buy one, maybe I will rent both to see which one I like better.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I picked up an extra battery for my Panasonic G85 this week. Saving up to buy the Panasonic 100-300.
The 100-300 goes really well with the G85, it is what I have. Originally I going to get the Olympus 75-300 for the wider end, but the dual stabilization won me over. It really makes a difference. If I lean against something 30th sec at the 300mm end is not too hard. F8 sharpens it up a bit as well, but 5.6 at 300mm is usable. I tend to use ISO 400 to keep the SS up with this lens.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
Dammit... Saw a used Oly 12-100mm f/4 at a low enough price and tried my luck in getting a discount - and got one! I was a bit hesitant to buy from the online marketplace it was on but it turned out that the seller was our own @Vivalo which meant I didn't have to worry about a thing anymore and I wired the money and he sent me the lens. If one can't trust a fellow mu-43er, then who can you trust?! :)

I would have gotten the lens already today if the post office had sent me the "ready for pick up" SMS-notification 3-4 minutes earlier after my visit to the supermarket. Oh well... I'll get it soon enough though.

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
E-M1 Mark I (used) being converted to "Full Spectrum" for playing with IR. This: https://www.lifepixel.com/shop/conv...d-cameras/used-olympus-e-m1-camera-conversion

Printed out a 8x11.5 inch matte print of ColorChecker's "Foliage" color (RGB=87, 108, 67) since that seems to be the favorite color to set manual white balance in for IR photos. Foliage around here is pretty much dead and brown for winter so the foliage color card helps for setting a WB in my old Dimage 7 which is what I am using for IR in the meantime. Setting the WB on the green seems to help keep the foliage "IR white" and separates that from the darker sky blue better - as I understand it. The SOC image is less red as happens with the normal Auto WB shooting IR.

Last edited:

Toddster

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Todd Cleaver
A dual monitor stand and a 2nd 24" monitor. I considered a larger single monitor but I like the 24" View Sonic that I have now so I just added a used Dell Ultra-sharp for more space. A nice cheap solution.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
A dual monitor stand and a 2nd 24" monitor. I considered a larger single monitor but I like the 24" View Sonic that I have now so I just added a used Dell Ultra-sharp for more space. A nice cheap solution.
I've often wondered what two monitors does for you. I use two at work, but that's in order to have more than one document visible at a time. Do some of your processing program take advantage of dual monitors?

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Yes. When editing I will dedicate my calibrated monitor to the image and have my tools on the 2nd monitor.
Interesting. I just checked and Darktable will do that. I have an old 20" laying around going unused, I could put the tools on it and leave my Dell for the image. I'll add this to the list of stuff I gotta' do!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom