what photography related item did you buy this week?

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
The Sigma 16mm 1.4 is on my wish list, though it’s a ways down there. Any word on if it’s as good as the 30mm?

On the bright side, it looks like my PL12-60 made it through its 10-day USPS radio silence and popped up at my local distribution center. Could it maybe arrive this week?

ektar

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Don
My term is "Backup"!
Puh. Your term is "collection."

On the bright side, it looks like my PL12-60 made it through its 10-day USPS radio silence and popped up at my local distribution center. Could it maybe arrive this week?
My shipment of odds and ends found their way through the Jersey City quicksand, only to bog down in Charlotte. Good luck with the 12-60!

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
Do you peeps know of any issues relating to mirror stuck up and winder not responding on Pentax ME? It happens when the shutter speed is lower then 1/30th or its at 1/1000 and the meter overexposed.
The only fix I found was smacking the bottom. Of the camera on my hand and triggering the aperture lever inside the camera mount.

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
Do you peeps know of any issues relating to mirror stuck up and winder not responding on Pentax ME? It happens when the shutter speed is lower then 1/30th or its at 1/1000 and the meter overexposed.
The only fix I found was smacking the bottom. Of the camera on my hand and triggering the aperture lever inside the camera mount.
Whoops.

1) exercise the camera. Sometimes these symptoms go away.
2) don't use the offending speeds.
3) look closely at that lever. A little silicone, maybe?
4) look for, and ask for advice on Pentax Forums.

Real Name
William
The Sigma 16mm 1.4 is on my wish list, though it’s a ways down there. Any word on if it’s as good as the 30mm?

I have the 16mm f/1.4 and use it on my EM-1 and it is fantastic. I have not been disappointed by either 16mm or the 60mm they are both very sharp. Can hardly wait until I can get my hands on the 30mm.

ektar

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Don
First: Constructive: On the ME Super: I take it that the "stuck" behavior happens with and without the winder? These are pretty simple mechanical devices relative to today's DSLRs. It's too long for me to know for sure on this camera, but the LX was prone to the foam padding that the mirror hit on exposure becoming tacky. You'd fire, wait, then hear the mirror plop down. It would be only the first exposure after an idle period at first then become more frequent. The fix was to send it to Pentax to replace the foam. Whether that's possible now, I dunno. You could closely inspect the edge of the mirror for black residue. That's a front-surface mirror, and so is delicate. If you were going to clean it, I'd use 70-90% alcohol and wrap a square cut from a microfiber cloth wrapped around a cotton swab. Probably the delay on the winder is the body telling it that it's not ready to advance.

Hah! And the common denominator for you two is "Envious"!
Hah. We may be envious, but more likely you're the Pied Piper, which makes us either disciples or me an expatriate relative.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
First: Constructive: On the ME Super: I take it that the "stuck" behavior happens with and without the winder? These are pretty simple mechanical devices relative to today's DSLRs. It's too long for me to know for sure on this camera, but the LX was prone to the foam padding that the mirror hit on exposure becoming tacky. You'd fire, wait, then hear the mirror plop down. It would be only the first exposure after an idle period at first then become more frequent. The fix was to send it to Pentax to replace the foam. Whether that's possible now, I dunno. You could closely inspect the edge of the mirror for black residue. That's a front-surface mirror, and so is delicate. If you were going to clean it, I'd use 70-90% alcohol and wrap a square cut from a microfiber cloth wrapped around a cotton swab. Probably the delay on the winder is the body telling it that it's not ready to advance.

Hah. We may be envious, but more likely you're the Pied Piper, which makes us either disciples or me an expatriate relative.
Thanks, I will double check the mirror. I changed all the light seals with new one, including the one bellow the viewfinder penta prism. What I meant winder was the winder lever for the next frame, not the seperate motorized add on. So I shoot the frame, I hear the mirror up and the shutter closing but I don't get the mirror down so the lever doesn't let me advance to the next frame. I can pull down the mirror with the finger quite easily but it will just bounce back up as soon as I let it go.
I had this issue yesterday evening when I tried to shoot a dark scene and the shutter speed was I think 1/15th (can't see the actual speed properly in low light because the metering is just a blinky red light next to black painted glass... Literally useless to see in the dark).
Now I don't mind smacking the camera in my hand once in a while but it does make me think that somewhere in space Lev Andropov is clapping for me:
<a href="/gif/this-is-how-we-fix-problems-on-russian-space-station-6jhZFo" title="THIS IS HOW WE FIX PROBLEMS ON RUSSIAN SPACE STATION!!!!!!">
I don't know if I lost the shots when the camera gets stuck, I have about 6 frames of the film made on this issue.

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
I don't know if I lost the shots when the camera gets stuck, I have about 6 frames of the film made on this issue.
If you hear the shutter go off, sounding normally, I don't think you lost your shots!
The vertical travel metal focal-plane shutters (Copal/Seiko) are very reliable, and not prone to stay open. AFAIK.

mcgillro

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Didn't buy it this week, but it arrived yesterday ... an adapter for Minolta AF to m4/3rds. I ordered a Minolta 24 f 2.8 lens during lock down last year, and it took ages to arrive. When it did arrive I realised my major error in that it was an AF lens! So ordered an adapter which finally arrived yesterday, many months later!

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
Backup for my Contax RTS (when I get it!)
FV5_0907-01.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
FV5_0903-01.jpeg
FV5_0902-01.jpeg

Design by Porsche

Andy H.

Mu-43 All-Pro
Speaking of G.A.S., I purchased an Olympus 17mm f1.8 as an "upgrade" to my trusty Oly 17mm f2.8, but it turned out to be only marginally better. I did this once before with the same results. You'd think I would have learned something, but I really wanted the f1.8 version to have significantly better I.Q. I guess my little pancake f2.8 is much better than it should be. :cool:

Last edited:

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
Backup for my Contax RTS (when I get it!)
View attachment 869469View attachment 869470View attachment 869471
Design by Porsche
Damn it, you see making me jelly

I have an intense fascination with Yashica, their cameras, their lenses... I wonder why they went bust, would have been interesting what they could make in 2021.

Speaking of G.A.S., I ordered an Olympus 17mm f1.8 as an "upgrade" to my trusty Oly 17mm f2.8, but it turned out to be only marginally better. I did this once before with the same results. You'd think I would have learned something, but I really wanted the f1.8 version to have significantly better I.Q. I guess my little pancake f2.8 is much better than it should be. :cool:
Maybe you haven't learned your lesson until you try Oly 17mm f 1.2 :p

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom