what photography related item did you buy this week?

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
View attachment 868789
HHHR with the Oly 12-40mm f 2.8 Pro. I love the texture in the bricks and the wood. The colors are gorgeous even though it's not much of a variety. I should have used f 8 for a bit more DoF though everything seems to be sharp and in focus except for the extreme edges. I have a feeling (just pure observation without confirmed analysis) that the lens is not up to 50 MP detail density between 85 and 100% of the frame from the center (meaning 85% from the center can resolve some or most of the 50 MP but the 15% can not).
Beautiful. Except for one thing. Well...two things. Can't you get rid of them?

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
Beautiful. Except for one thing. Well...two things. Can't you get rid of them?
Yes, I could, probably would take me half an hour or more but given that I'm in bed right now and I'm going to work in about 8 hours I would have to leave it for another day (maybe tomorrow).
BUT I do like it in a way because it adds a harsh contrast with the Covid19 and facemask sign on the door (this may sound a bit philosophical but the cones feel as intrusive in the frame and to the subject, the church stairs, as Covid19 in our society).

Last edited:

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
Well, now, thinking about it before I fall asleep, I kind of want to make a small compilation of pictures where disturbance to the composition and framing (with intent) by Covid19 pandemic on our society forces the user to feel uncomfortable, that something is not right, that perfection is broken by an intruder.
Break the rules (well more like guidelines) of photography and composition, sounds like a challenge worth investigating, this pandemic won't last forever so why not take the opportunity.
Anyone up to or interested making a topic/subject/challenge on such an idea?

11GTCS

Mu-43 Regular
This week was the week of bargain beater lenses. I found someone selling an Olympus 12mm that had been dropped and the filter threads bent, but the next owner fixed that and sent proof that the lens was working fine, AF etc. For 160 bucks I couldn't say no. And then I found an Oly 9-14 with the ribbon cable issue. Works fine to 14mm, which is all I need it for anyway. If I discover it's a keeper I'll just send it in to Oly USA for a repair and still be out less than a nice used example, since he only wanted 120 bucks.

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
Well, now, thinking about it before I fall asleep, I kind of want to make a small compilation of pictures where disturbance to the composition and framing (with intent) by Covid19 pandemic on our society forces the user to feel uncomfortable, that something is not right, that perfection is broken by an intruder.
Break the rules (well more like guidelines) of photography and composition, sounds like a challenge worth investigating, this pandemic won't last forever so why not take the opportunity.
Anyone up to or interested making a topic/subject/challenge on such an idea?
I've made a few which I think sort of had that idea at time of shooting. I don't know that I'm going to be able to make too many more, at least not with people in them, because it's low-traffic winter with the weather to go with it, but if other folks want to make something out of this idea, I'll participate as best I can.

Had a couple more incidents of situations were could not see the GX1 screen (sun in eyes or sun on screen, and not really all that sunny either). So started looking again at GX7 verses GX8 verses GX85.

THen up popped another hit from my ebay search for a DMW-LVF2 eye piece, but this one for under 100 bucks. Said "New Old Stock, Original Packaging". Is from overseas, had good feedbacks from many camera items.
So I did it, despite being concerned about "from Thailand".
Now the 3 to 6 week wait.

>> Later Note: Seller has now indicated is packed for shipment this morning already, and should have tracking Monday.

Last edited:

jimr.pdx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim R
My copy of the Ttartisans 35/1.4 arrived after dark. Indoor tests suggest a typical copy*, will do better tests and report back :thumbup:

*edit: hm that was vague. A 'typical copy' in my perusals of written and utube reviews is pretty darn good with sharp center and decent overall image quality. Soft edges and CA wide open, improving fairly quickly. I haven't sought out the problem areas yet, just seeing good central detail. Beware though: utube reviews of the Leica mount version may not apply!

Last edited:

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
A 2nd body. Exclusively for my 75-300 6.7.
It came with 2 kit lenses, which I’m enjoying using.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
I'm still stuck in film. "Watched" several different Argus Argoflex E TLR's on ebay, this being one of them. Evidently the seller wanted it gone, this morning I had an offer that was too good to pass up. Includes the leather case.

Argus Argoflex E.jpg

These were Argus' answer to Rollieflex. Interesting focusing mechanism. Instead of the lenses moving back and forth on a metal plate, the knurls around the edges are gears. You focus the viewing lens by turning. It meshes with and turns the taking lens, one in one direction, the other lens in the opposite direction. Should see it next week sometime.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
A 2nd body. Exclusively for my 75-300 6.7.
It came with 2 kit lenses, which I’m enjoying using.
View attachment 869113
Very nice... Wish Olympus made a sister lens to the 12-50mm with internal zooming and weather sealing, even at a sacrifice of f stop for smaller size like the 12-50mm. Make it at a budget price and you have an awesome travel set of 2 E-M5s with those two... Impenetrable to rain, snow, dust :)

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
Bought a Sigma 30mm F/2.8 DN A (Art) AF Lens. I have the Sigma 60mm F/2.8 DN A (Art) AF Lens and this lens is amazingly tack sharp. From what have read the 30mm has the same characteristics.
The 30mm f1.4 is amazing. I mainly used it wide open on the GX9 in daylight using the electronic shutter, to get some bokeh by layering closer and further elements into my compositions. Even at f1.4 it was ridiculously sharp. It's a winner of a lens.

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro

They both function fine, at least the cameras, not sure I can even find flash bulbs! They both shoot 620 which is no longer made, but you can substitute 120 which is the same film on a different spool. These are medium format cameras and produce a pretty big 2-1/4" x 2-1/4" negative. These are some of he original 'toy cameras', no adjustments, load film, point, shoot.
Cool find! :thumbup:

Fwiw, only one company is still around making flashbulbs. Located in Ireland and they are not cheap! I have a couple of dozen PF-330 bulbs (Sylvania FF33) that have long duration burn of two seconds, but they cost $75 PER BULB so you need to have your t's crossed and i's dotted before your fire one off at $75 per shot. Had to use them for some waterfall fashion shoot where electronic was freezing the water droplets and it looked like salt and pepper sprinkled on the final print. The slow burn flashbulb looked cleaner and added a bit of water blur. Had to use a special microprocesser flash-sync contrller to fire the bulb and then fire the camera shutter later once the bulb's output peaked (No FP sync on digital cameras.). I will say the color spectrum was nicer than electronic flash for some reason, imho, even with a blue daylight gel added since they are not blue coated and just clear (3,800K).

https://rogergeorge.com/products/flash-bulb-pf-330

If you need the old bayonet bulbs, they carry the GE #5 which replaced the old bayonet Sylvania #40, later called Sylvania Press #25, bulbs and can be had for a mere $48 per dozen ($4 per shot).

https://rogergeorge.com/products/flash-bulbs-bayonet-5?_pos=4&_sid=616035fee&_ss=r

Real Name
William
The 30mm f1.4 is amazing. I mainly used it wide open on the GX9 in daylight using the electronic shutter, to get some bokeh by layering closer and further elements into my compositions. Even at f1.4 it was ridiculously sharp. It's a winner of a lens.
These lens are ridiculously cheap and a fantastic bang for your buck.

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
Very nice... Wish Olympus made a sister lens to the 12-50mm with internal zooming and weather sealing, even at a sacrifice of f stop for smaller size like the 12-50mm. Make it at a budget price and you have an awesome travel set of 2 E-M5s with those two... Impenetrable to rain, snow, dust :)

Why? The 12-50 is a great, feature-rich lens for what it offers. I picked up a new one for $99 some years ago. It's always on my primary body.

As for the $99 40-+150r, I couldn't get rid of that fast enough. I'd suggest the Panasonic 45-200 Mega instead, if you can't afford anything higher up the price chain. I remember using that (the Oly 40-150 r) lens and regretting my m43 purchase, until I bought the 12-40 Pro.

The 75-300 is a good lens. Probably the best m43 lens value (FL vs price vs image quality). I'm glad to see the Olympus 100-400 making other super telephoto lenses more affordable.

Last edited:

ektar

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Don
I went looking because I thought I had a partial box of M3B bulbs. I didn't find them, but I don't wanna go hauling things out in the last place that they might be. I did find two Press 25B bulbs in an old Polaroid kit that someone gave me.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Cool find! :thumbup:

Fwiw, only one company is still around making flashbulbs. Located in Ireland and they are not cheap! I have a couple of dozen PF-330 bulbs (Sylvania FF33) that have long duration burn of two seconds, but they cost $75 PER BULB so you need to have your t's crossed and i's dotted before your fire one off at $75 per shot. Had to use them for some waterfall fashion shoot where electronic was freezing the water droplets and it looked like salt and pepper sprinkled on the final print. The slow burn flashbulb looked cleaner and added a bit of water blur. Had to use a special microprocesser flash-sync contrller to fire the bulb and then fire the camera shutter later once the bulb's output peaked (No FP sync on digital cameras.). I will say the color spectrum was nicer than electronic flash for some reason, imho, even with a blue daylight gel added since they are not blue coated and just clear (3,800K).

https://rogergeorge.com/products/flash-bulb-pf-330

If you need the old bayonet bulbs, they carry the GE #5 which replaced the old bayonet Sylvania #40, later called Sylvania Press #25, bulbs and can be had for a mere $48 per dozen ($4 per shot).

https://rogergeorge.com/products/flash-bulbs-bayonet-5?_pos=4&_sid=616035fee&_ss=r
You can still find odd lots and part boxes on ebay.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
Why? The 12-50 is a great, feature-rich lens for what it offers. I picked up a new one for $99 some years ago. It's always on my primary body.

As for the $99 40-+150r, I couldn't get rid of that fast enough. I'd suggest the Panasonic 45-200 Mega instead, if you can't afford anything higher up the price chain. I remember using that lens and regretting my m43 purchase, until I bought the 12-40 Pro.

The 75-300 is a good lens. Probably the best m43 lens value (FL vs price vs image quality). I'm glad to see the Olympus 100-400 making other super telephoto lenses more affordable.
Why not have an option for the customers? Olympus 12-50mm is the cheapest weather-sealed lens, it's not the best lens out there but it's not priced like the Pro line. Currently if you wish/want/need weather sealing on telephoto you have:
*Olympus 7-14mm f 2.8 Pro: 1150 $
*Olympus 12-40mm f 2.8 Pro: 1000 $
*Olympus 12-45mm f 4 Pro: 650 $
*Olympus 12-50mm f 3.5-6.3 EZ: Used 100-200 $ (because it was discontinued)
*Olympus 12-100mm f 4: 1300 $
*Olympus 14-150mm f 4-5.6 II: 450 $
*Olympus 40-150mm f 2.8 Pro: 1350 $
*Olympus 100-400mm f 5-6.3: 1500 $
*Olympus 150-400mm f 4.5 Pro IS 1.25x TC: 7000 $
Making it ONE option under 250 $ and TWO Options under 500 $, of which only one goes past 50mm. If you are willing to go with Panasonic you have these options:
*Panasonic Leica 8-18mm f 2.8-4: 1100 $
*Panasonic Leica 10-25mm f 1.7: 1800 $
*Panasonic X 12-35mm f 2.8: Mark I - 700 $, Mark II - 1000 $
*Panasonic Leica 12-60mm f 2.8-4: 1000 $
*Panasonic G 12-60mm f 3.5-5.6: 500 $
*Panasonic G 14-140mm f 3.5-5.6 Mark III:
*Panasonic X 35-100mm f 2.8: Mark I - 900 $, Mark II - 1100 $
*Panasonic G 45-200mm f 4-5.6 Mark II: 450 $
*Panasonic G 100-300mm f 4-5.6 Mark II: 650 $
*Panasonic Leica 100-400mm f 4-6.3: 1700 $
So there are no options under 250 $, and 2 at 500 $ (though they are not internal zooms).
One of the big benefits of internal zooms is for video recording and usage with waterproof housing, among other things.

There are people out there where every $ counts and there are limits to how much they can spend even with savings, I think an internal zoom and focusing, weather-sealed 50-200/250mm f 4-5.6/6.3 that is light and compact (like Panasonic X 45-175mm f 4-5.6) .... and, if possible, make it under 350 £.

Sell it as a dual kit option for E-M5 II/III. Sure you have the 12-40mm f 2.8 Pro and 40-150mm f 2.8 Pro which adds up to about 3500 $, then there's 12-45mm f 4 Pro and (possibly) 50-200mm f 4 Pro for (maybe) around 2.500 $ and then you could have 12-50mm f 3.5-6.3 EZ and 50-200(250)mm f 4(4.5)-5.6(6.3) EZ for around 1.500 $ (if they E-M5 III is 1000 $ for the body).

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
Been wanting one of these for a while, but couldn't justify evilBay prices, let alone the kilobuck a new one would cost.

So when one came up on our local Craig's List for just $375, I was on it!

(The Metabones and OM 100/2 were already mine, but I had to dress her up for the shoot, no?)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom