what photography related item did you buy this week?

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Real Name
Randy
It’s here! It’s not as heavy as I remember, and the zoom ring is not bad at all—nothing like the grindy-feeling, banged-up, used copy I had tried before.
1610405034118.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And no sooner did I get off work and mount the lens, a raptor arrived in the field behind the house. At golden hour no less. It’s a sign, I tell you.
1610405310249.jpeg

jimr.pdx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim R
After much internal debate (it's crowded in here :eek:!) I ordered a TTArtisan 35/1.4, so the Pentax 40/2.8 can move on. I watched this review, and at the 7-minute mark he compares the optical design to a downscaled Takumar 50/1.4.. hm interesting! So a 50 or 55mm Tak could be the next item, one that puts the Sigma 60mm at risk.

Darn these gearquakes, where one simple change makes rock-solid kits quiver like wet mud..

Last edited:

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Real Name
Randy
A close-up crop from another photo, otherwise an unedited JPG. I would guess I was 75 feet away at this point, then he spooked and flew off.

Gromit

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Richard
Despite my on-going loyalty to M43, I've been a huge Nikon fan since my film days (still have an FE & F3, each of which I've owned for over 30 years). An itch I've wanted to scratch was the Df. On release, I thought it was a half-baked caricature of Nikon's legendary F-series bodies. Confusing spec, and just...well...a bit naff.

Anyway, I've had to bury my cynicism. It's solid, beautifully finished, the (D600/610) AF is fine in AF-S (I never use tracking) too. Ergos are excellent (use it like a 35mm SLR). The big hitter is that D4 sensor though.

jimr.pdx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim R
  1. Your Df needs a Pen-f for company. Neither is an ugly duckling, but each company's later direction rendered them odd ducks in the pond.
  2. Yep, it is as I feared. A Takumar 55/1.8 (s-m-c) is on its way to do battle with the 60/2.8 Sigma. No lens is safe! :eek:

Last edited:

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Real Name
Randy
Well, as you may recall from earlier up, I’m venturing into Open Source land (again), and I tried a Lenovo Yoga 7i with the intention of running Linux Mint on it. Alas, I forget how touchy Linux can be on newer hardware, and I had everything going but audio out of the speakers (headphones worked). It was a great laptop, but for obvious reasons, I returned it and decided to just make a desktop build instead on a little bit older hardware. I was able to find an open box 9700K for cheap, so I parted out a build for about half the cost of the Yoga 7i (already had a monitor and SSD). The kicker is, Microcenter gave me a new 9700K instead of an open box one. I didn’t even notice the box was sealed until I got home! 8C and the Intel Graphics should be more than enough for Darktable, and Intel actually has great integrated driver support for Linux, making it a snap to enable OpenCL in Darktable. I’m rather happy with pCloud as a cloud service so far. Its Linux client works great, and that was a huge stumbling block for me in the past with using Linux and having access to my photo library on other devices.

WT21

Super Moderator
I bought a Mac Book Air M1.

While not strictly for photography only, running LR was a key piece of the decision and the reason I upped the internal storage.

I have a 2014 15" MBP and the reason I went 15" instead of 13" back then was for performance running LR. But the 15" is honestly too big for me. I used it like a desktop with occasional unplugging, because it is truly "lugging" it around. I have been shopping 13" ever since, but they have been way underpowered on Intel, and then the touch bar and the bad keyboard. So, I've just been waiting for something better and even considered a switch to PC if needed.

The new MBA has as much power as any Apple intel option, runs WAY cooler (I can't feel any heat in chassis in the day I've been using it), no screaming fans, has a screen as good as any pro, has the new, terrific keyboard and no touch bar, and runs LR just fine. It also has finger print unlock (which also works on websites) which is something I didn't think I'd need, but it's awesome. Oh, and solid battery life.

Very happy, and Apple's trade in is offering me $480 on the 15" MBP, which helped a lot.
following up on this -- I just updated LR to the newest version that is labeled as "native" support for Mac and Windows ARM processors (i.e. the M1). It is pretty much instant now working and flipping between RAW files in the develop module. It's a noticeable improvement. Of course, these are just 16MP files, and I don't have anything with higher resolution, but it's certainly faster than LR on my 2014 MBP

CD77

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Chris
Just received today... a minty mint condition 4/3 50-200 f2.8-3.5 SWD, complete with carry bag. It's a beast of a lens... dwarfs the body that it's going onto! Just waiting on the adapter so I can try it out, should be here by Sunday!

1610471416027.png

1610471512910.png

Last edited:

Zman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
7artisans 35mm f1.2 lens.

This is my 2nd copy. I had to return the first one because it was extremely tight and difficult to mount on both my Pen F and E-M1ii. Also, the lens didn't engage the pin on the camera mounts unless I wiggled it around a bit.
The 2nd copy works perfectly. Hoping to take it out for a trial run this afternoon.

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
Bought some update software online for my 20 year old Minolta Dimage 7 being resurrected as an IR camera. Cheap $5, but found I had all ready done that firmware update decades ago. :rolleyes:

Trying to use the camera with dark IR filter (~760nm) makes the AF slow to sometimes not working so tried MF without a lot of luck as the LCD/EVF really bites! Found an old Agfa 8x slide loupe, like the one on right, and took a Dremel to it to fit it flush against the back LCD and painted it to magnify the thing for better MF. Free! :dance4:

Agfa-Loupe-LCD-Hood-Magnifier.jpg

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Real Name
Randy
I'm afraid the PL12-60 I bought off a member here has fallen into a bottomless pit nicknamed the "USPS Distribution Center in Newark, NJ." By all indications, it has been sitting there for a week, even though Priority Mail delivery date was supposed to be last Friday. There's a thread on reddit that was started 5 months ago that suggests that anything that enters here either sits here for 30-35 days, or simply never arrives. Tracking says it's on it's way to the next facility, but that was 3 days ago! 😦
1610584398373.png

Mountain_Man_79

Do all the interns get Glocks?
Real Name
Chris
Despite my on-going loyalty to M43, I've been a huge Nikon fan since my film days (still have an FE & F3, each of which I've owned for over 30 years). An itch I've wanted to scratch was the Df. On release, I thought it was a half-baked caricature of Nikon's legendary F-series bodies. Confusing spec, and just...well...a bit naff.

Anyway, I've had to bury my cynicism. It's solid, beautifully finished, the (D600/610) AF is fine in AF-S (I never use tracking) too. Ergos are excellent (use it like a 35mm SLR). The big hitter is that D4 sensor though.

View attachment 868174
I’ve wanted one of these for a long time. I’m not looking forward to the wonderful pictures I’m sure you’ll post that you made with this. I can’t take the GAS.

Zman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I'm afraid the PL12-60 I bought off a member here has fallen into a bottomless pit nicknamed the "USPS Distribution Center in Newark, NJ." By all indications, it has been sitting there for a week, even though Priority Mail delivery date was supposed to be last Friday. There's a thread on reddit that was started 5 months ago that suggests that anything that enters here either sits here for 30-35 days, or simply never arrives. Tracking says it's on it's way to the next facility, but that was 3 days ago! 😦
View attachment 868443
Don't despair. I had the same message regarding one of my packages sitting in a NYS distribution center for 9 days without updates. The package arrived unannounced on day 10. The USPS was inundated with packages for holiday delivery season and are still digging their way out. I read online they stopped scanning the tracking info to eliminate a step and increase speed and volume. Hopefully, it's just late and not MIA. Oh and by the way, I'm not a USPS worker.

jhawk1000

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mel
I sent some gifts to my kids, one package to Kansas City, Mo, one to Ft. Madison, Iowa and one to Plano, Texas. The two to KC and Ft. Madison were delivered in two days, the one to Plano went to Irving for a week, then up north to a small Northern Texas mail distribution site for another 4 days, then to Dallas for 4 days and finally delivered to Plano. The Post office is a mess now either by too many pieces of mail or by design.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Real Name
Randy
Don't despair. I had the same message regarding one of my packages sitting in a NYS distribution center for 9 days without updates. The package arrived unannounced on day 10. The USPS was inundated with packages for holiday delivery season and are still digging their way out. I read online they stopped scanning the tracking info to eliminate a step and increase speed and volume. Hopefully, it's just late and not MIA. Oh and by the way, I'm not a USPS worker.
Yeah, I do hope you’re right. I’m honestly not too worried about it just yet. My wife had a package that sat here in town for a week, and another that took a month. Everything I’ve sent has been pretty good, oddly enough. I did feel bad for the guy that lost live plants because they sat in a warehouse for 2 weeks!

Mountain_Man_79

Do all the interns get Glocks?
Real Name
Chris
View attachment 868443
New Jersey is mostly a black hole...so this is normal behavior
:hiding:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom