what photography related item did you buy this week?

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
As I just finished watching the 10th season of The Walking Dead (have to admit, every season has been downloaded from, ahem, shall we say, less reputable sources, because I can't watch them in Ultima Thule without the subtitles. The subtitles are hard coded on my service. Won't renew the service. As I got first year free, I'm not losing too much, anyway. Zilch, actually), I've checked for the Blu-ray discs at Black Friday prices today.

And I found S01 to S09 (Season 7 as Limited Steelbook) for US 110:98 at today's rate.

My finger is hovering over the Buy-button....
OK. What the heck. Just pushed that button.
Delivery in 3-5 days.

I can take pictures of the bunch of discs. And if I didn't buy those, I'd just buy cameras for the dosh. Hope that's photo related enough to not be too much off topic for y'all!

Last edited:
Waaa.....my own little click frenzy!
I hit the button on a GX8....looks in good nic....7K clicks.
Now that means I have to remember 3 menus and ergos...X-T2, Em5 ii and now the the GX8....that will keep my fingers on their toes [if you know what I mean]
I have always hankered after the GX8, particularly the 'rangefinder' style and it's acclaimed offset EVF. One time, when I had a Sony a6000 I retrained myself to be right eye dominant to take advantage of that layout.
Also, I seem more attracted to Pana lenses and now the PL15 is calling me [with a now useable aperture ring!]

Real Name
Roddy
My eBay'd Vanguard Havana 36 is in. Now I can carry two cameras with lenses attached and all my everyday crap in a bag that has plenty of rummaging space. $20 only, and it can even fit my 13" MacBook in it at a pinch. Apologies for the poor photos.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

RamblinR

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Maria
So, I have been considering purchasing the Olympus 45mm f1.2 lens but I have had a rethink. I also own a Sony A7iii which I have not used a lot and was considering selling. The other day I got it out again and set it up to shoot much like the em1.2 so it is easy to swap from one camera to the other. I only have two prime lenses for it (85mm f1.8 and 55mm f1.8). Now I was thinking about what Olympus lenses are in FF terms and came up with the following:

17mm f1.8 = 34mm f3.5 FF 17mm f1.2 = 34mm f2.4 FF
25mm f1.4 = 50mm f2.8 FF. 25mm f1.2 = 50mm f2.4 FF
45mm f1.8 = 90mm f3.5 FF 45mm f1.2 = 90mm f2.4 FF
12-40mm f2.8 = 24-80mm f5.6 FF

So I purchased the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 lens for Sony. Whilst this lens is not quite as wide or as long as the Olympus 12-40mm PRO zoom it works for me (5mm on the long end is practically unnoticeable but the wide end is a bit of a loss, the 15mm loss for the 45mm prime in FF terms isn't too much of a problem either) but this one lens virtually covers all the above lenses with similar focal lengths and being mostly faster than all of them without having to change the lens at any time to get each of these prime focal lengths. Hmmmmm

I purchased the lens second hand for about the same price as it would have cost for ONE used 25mm f1.2 or 45mm f1.2 lens. It is a very light lens for one that is f2.8 through the zoom range and also only weighs 200 grams more than my em1.2 with the 12-40mm PRO or about the same as the em1.2 with the 12-100mm PRO.

This one purchase has saved me a fortune and I don't even have to change lenses!!! I am super happy. Did a family shoot with it the other day and was totally impressed with it and the best thing is its crazy sharp wide open and the eye detect on the Sony a7iii is amazing.

Last edited:

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
So, I have been considering purchasing the Olympus 45mm f1.2 lens but I have had a rethink. I also own a Sony A7iii which I have not used a lot and was considering selling. The other day I got it out again and set it up to shoot much like the em1.2 so it is easy to swap from one camera to the other. I only have two prime lenses for it (85mm f1.8 and 55mm f1.8). Now I was thinking about what Olympus lenses are in FF terms and came up with the following:

17mm f1.8 = 34mm f3.5 FF 17mm f1.2 = 34mm f2.4 FF
25mm f1.4 = 50mm f2.8 FF. 25mm f1.2 = 50mm f2.4 FF
45mm f1.8 = 90mm f3.5 FF 45mm f1.2 = 90mm f2.4 FF
12-40mm f2.8 = 24-80mm f5.6 FF

So I purchased the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 lens for Sony. Whilst this lens is not quite as wide or as long as the Olympus 12-40mm PRO zoom it works for me (5mm on the long end is practically unnoticeable but the wide end is a bit of a loss, the 15mm loss for the 45mm prime in FF terms isn't too much of a problem either) but this one lens virtually covers all the above lenses with similar focal lengths and being mostly faster than all of them without having to change the lens at any time to get each of these prime focal lengths. Hmmmmm

I purchased the lens second hand for about the same price as it would have cost for ONE used 25mm f1.2 or 45mm f1.2 lens. It is a very light lens for one that is f2.8 through the zoom range and also only weighs 200 grams more than my em1.2 with the 12-40mm PRO or about the same as the em1.2 with the 12-100mm PRO.

This one purchase has saved me a fortune and I don't even have to change lenses!!! I am super happy. Did a family shoot with it the other day and was totally impressed with it and the best thing is its crazy sharp wide open and the eye detect on the Sony a7iii is amazing.
Glad it works out for you. The Sony A7iii is a great camera.

The lenses you refer to however have a rendering all of their own, and in the zooms, 24mm equiv is significantly wider than 28, and 80mm is a different perspective to 70mm. You are not comparing apples with apples.

Whether you need or want the feathery bokeh etc is however an entirely different matter.

Last edited:

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
Bought a 2-5 stop Freewell Hard Stop Variable ND filter to tune my HSS better with flash. I was alternating between a 3 stop ND and a 1.7 stop Polarizing filter during the day with needing less (the Polarizer) as the sun went down. I want to keep the background blurred by using a larger f/stop for the birds while in HSS with the AD-600 studios with their long-throw Phottix reflectors.

My finding is the Freewell does have a slight warming effect towards the yellow/green, but applying about a 4% Cooling Filter (Blue #80) in Photoshop neutralizes it to perfect for me. That or let Colorchecker and a profile made from it work its color magic.

I decided I might buy the 82mm version for another lens and a step-up ring for the Olympus lenses that use the 77mm size. A 82mm rubber hood should work. Big mistake! With the step-up ring on the Olympus 300mm f/4, the lens hood on the lens will not deploy over the larger ring. Second mistake was the Freewell filter uses a magnetic front ring to stack other magnetic filters so the hood will not screw into it (Not much of any thread left in front, and it is also larger than 82mm anyways.).

The f/stops are marked from 2 to 5 and are pretty close in real world. I can turn it slightly to add or decrease the exposure in HSS mode without fumbling around with the shutter speed which affects the flash duration and output at 1/320 second and faster with the Olympus body. You can get into a HSS situation where the shutter speed and the flash duration can lead to Underexposure easily if you do not know the duration or a means to measure it (I'm using a Sekonic L-858 meter with the Godox radio transmitter that will warn me if my HSS speed is too fast for the flash duration.).

The Freewell Variable ND seems to be much the same as the more expensive PolarPro Variable ND but much cheaper. Was mostly for experimenting too, but I should have gotten the 77mm size to begin with. Next time.

Fwiw, comes with a metal case and a metal lens cap that sticks to the magnetic front of the filter. Cannot store both in the case though as the lid won't close with the cap on. Filter in case is fine though, and maybe pocket the metal cap in the field.

https://www.freewellgear.com/mirror...lters_type-2_5_stop/122-dslr_thread_size-58mm

Oh, I see today they are running some sale at 10% off on the above link. Must be Black Friday sale or something. Figgers!

Machi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
After long deciding between G9, E-M5III and E-M1II, the last one won.
G9 is nice camera but it's big and it lacks proper (RAW) live composite.
E-M5III has lots of advantages (size, USB charging, the same batteries as my E-M10II...) but
E-M1II is available for much better price and I also really wanted longer battery life than E-M5III can offer.
In the end I bought new E-M1II with 12-40 f/2.8 for the cost of E-M5III body only.

Egregius V

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rev. Gregory Vozzo
I did make the trip to Hunt's today - and after a lot of browsing, picked up a few travel accessories to try out. That's all. A lens that would have tempted me at the right price wasn't in stock.

I also went to Micro Center and replaced the cheap part that was causing my computer problems.

So I kept a lot of money today. ;)

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I did make the trip to Hunt's today - and after a lot of browsing, picked up a few travel accessories to try out. That's all. A lens that would have tempted me at the right price wasn't in stock.

I also went to Micro Center and replaced the cheap part that was causing my computer problems.

So I kept a lot of money today. ;)
Out of curiousity, what lens?

Egregius V

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rev. Gregory Vozzo
Olympus 8mm f/1.8. For most situations, I actually prefer the Samyang 7.5mm fisheye I already have. But I would have liked to examine the Olympus lens.

The accessories I picked up are keepers: a Manfrotto hip or shoulder case that's perfect for the E-M1 + 100-300 combo; a ThinkTank duo lens case for that same lens; and a soft strap with quick release clips just like the ones I already use.

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
Olympus 8mm f/1.8. For most situations, I actually prefer the Samyang 7.5mm fisheye I already have. But I would have liked to examine the Olympus lens.
That Olympus 8mm is sweet! I have one as well as the Laowa 7.5mm that I got for the drone's camera.

The 8mm auto-focuses where the Laowa is a dumb lens with nothing for communication. The Laowa has an issue on the drone's camera in that I have to put on a approved lens that's is chipped to talk to the camera, and then hot-swap it with the Laowa and manually set it up. The Olympus 8mm is to heavy for the drone's gimbal.

I was surprised the Oly 8mm actually produces a wider angle image than their 7-14mm f/2.8 zoom too. I thought the 7mm would be wider, but it isn't which seems odd.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
A fast SD card for my second G9, now both have 256 Gig on board for highres and video:). And yes I have days where I use all storage (shooting the 5.5(6K) H265 as video with sound eats up a lot of space). My wife went over our allowance and since it was a need and not a 'want' it was a actually a good thing:drinks:to buy. Done spending until January.

Egregius V

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rev. Gregory Vozzo
I was surprised the Oly 8mm actually produces a wider angle image than their 7-14mm f/2.8 zoom too. I thought the 7mm would be wider, but it isn't which seems odd.
Yes, the angle of view of the 8mm fisheye is a lot wider than that of a 7-7.5mm rectilinear lens. When I convert my Samyang's images to a rectilinear or panini projection (for straight lines instead of curved), the apparent focal length on micro four thirds can be as small as 4mm, give or take.

After chasing the dream without enjoying the reality, I've given up trying to shoot the faraway birds, and instead am just going to look at them through this vintage German glass!

Photo taken with a Canon FD 28mm f2.8 which also arrived today...complete with dust and fungus, which the listing claimed it didn't have, so that's been refunded and is going back.

After chasing the dream without enjoying the reality, I've given up trying to shoot the faraway birds, and instead am just going to look at them through this vintage German glass!
View attachment 859853
Photo taken with a Canon FD 28mm f2.8 which also arrived today...complete with dust and fungus, which the listing claimed it didn't have, so that's been refunded and is going back.
Good move ML......and what Hensoldt Wetzlar to M43 converter are you using? :drinks:

Mountain_Man_79

Do all the interns get Glocks?
Real Name
Chris
View attachment 859853
Wow. Those binoculars look to be gorgeous!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom