what photography related item did you buy this week?

mumu

Mu-43 Top Veteran
JJC grip for my GX9 just arrived yesterday. When I'm out doing street photography, I carry the camera in hand for hours at a time. The stock grip is too small for long term comfort and I usually end up gripping the camera in various ways so my hand doesn't cramp or go numb. But that will be less practical now that the cold weather is here again and I can't do manual acrobatics with the camera. ;-) So I decided to buy the JJC grip to make it easier to hold while wearing my lightweight insulated gloves. I wish they made it deeper because, hey, why not? It's still not as comfortable as my G85 or G9 but it's definitely an improvement over stock. As advertised, I still have easy access to the battery door and the base of the grip plate is beveled (to allow fitment to an Arca clamp) so it doesn't interfere with flipping up the rear screen, either.
jjc.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
jjc2.jpg

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
I have had one for a while. I am quite impressed with it’s design, but like yourself, I would have preferred a deeper grip. I have thought about attaching a shaped piece of plastic or hardwood to the existing grip. applying Sugru, covering with Gun Grip tape. But so far have not. Used in combination with a long thumb grip and PD small wrist strap/anchor combo.

mumu

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I have had one for a while. I am quite impressed with it’s design, but like yourself, I would have preferred a deeper grip. I have thought about attaching a shaped piece of plastic or hardwood to the existing grip. applying Sugru, covering with Gun Grip tape. But so far have not. Used in combination with a long thumb grip and PD small wrist strap/anchor combo.
I'll see how it performs over the next month or so. Since it's removable, I'm more willing to experiment on it.

KeithT

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Keith Temlett
Been looking for an Olympus Stylus 1s as an alternative day-to-day P&S as opposed to carrying the EM1.1 all the time.
I do have the Canon G16 and the Sx50hs - G16 not enough reach and the Sx50hs too bulky.
I suppose I'm also an Olympus fan:biggrin:
Not that popular here in South Africa bur after scouring the classifieds for months found one in Cape Town.
2 quick purchases on UK Ebay included - the CLA-13 adapter and the B300 1.7x teleconverter.

So now I have the Stylus with menus very similar to my EM1.1 as well as the tilting screen which I prefer 28-300mm f2.8
Add the adapter and teleconverter and I have a reasonably small package going to 500mm f2.8.:thumbup:

So far Im happy with the tiny sensor (same sensor as the G16 I'm told) - fairly pocketable.

Total cost = US$208 or GBP160 so cant complain.

KeithT

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Keith Temlett
I played around with the B-300 teleconverter - found some 52-55mm rings so can attach the B-300 to my Oly 50mm f2 giving me an effective 85mm f2.
Pics look good although it is a little bulky :laugh:

Oly 75mm f1.8 would obviously be a better choice.

Real Name
Martin
Actually bought last week off ebay and this little beauty arrived first thing this morning:

A Voigtlander Perkeo I 120 film camera. The focus, shutter and apertures are all smooth, and the self timer is still functioning; now all I need to do is run a film through it.

ektar

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Don
Olympus OM-System Zuiko Reflex 500mm f8

My first mirror lens was rubbish. Researching into the murky, occult community of mirror lens users taught me about some real exotics and a couple gems. This is reputedly the best of the mainstream manufacturer's offerings. Some like the Nikon, but it's a truck. This one is diminutive, but surprisingly rare. After having a saved search on eBay for a good while and after sifting through some sketchy offerings from the Far East, this one popped up.

phigmov

Probably Not Walter Kernow
Busy few weeks -

• a Manfrotto Pixi tripod (nice),
  • a Sigma EF610 Pentax flash (not bad - Pentax RC flash is weird tho'),
  • and I can only show a Oly FL600R flash foot as the flash itself is having its hot-shoe glued back on after a 60cm drop onto grass. Plastic build quality is terrible - the plastic is very thin at the point with so much stress - not impressed. I'll use it wirelessly on a tripod or foot so I don't care too much about the hot-shoe). If the super-glue doesn't work I'll try sugru, and f that doesn't work, I'll try some epoxy and/or cut off some plumbers pipe to wrap around the shoe. From a technical perspective it works fine and is super easy to use.
50539504367_dcd68b851c_o.jpg IMGP8730_DNG_embedded by Walter Kernow, on Flickr

Last edited:

Henry01

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Henry Schreuders

Bob in Pittsburgh

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Bob (who would have guessed?)
I just bought a 17" x 20" picture frame to use with an 11" x 14" photo. Now all I have to do is cut the mat board, and get a 17" x 20" sheet of glass.
I am still waiting for this to be delivered. The art supply place shipped it the same day I ordered it (10/13/2020). Tracking shows it disappeared when UPS was to transfer it to the Postal Service for final delivery, early on the morning of October 15th. Postal Service tracking shows they are still waiting for the package. I have contacted the art supply place about this twice. The first time I contacted them they told me it was too soon, and that I should wait until two weeks after I placed the order to contact them about the missing shipment. I jumped the gun a bit and contacted them on Monday (10/26). They told me they would ship a replacement. I have seen no indication that they have actually shipped a replacement.

Plan is to wait until Friday. If it hasn't shipped by then I will ask them to cancel the replacement and refund my money so I can buy from another supplier.

Thanks for letting me vent. :(

Paul C

Mu-43 Regular
Bought for free !!!

I downloaded the free HDR programme Auroa HDR 2018.

This is available from a partnership with British Magazine "Amateur Photographer" and software developer Skylum to tempt you into their system and then buy the upgrade to the new 2020 version. And what an advertisment - this is a fully featured programme for MAC or PC !

M4/3 cameras loose 2 stops to dynamic range to full-frame sensors - so for great landscapes we need to work a bit harder to get those 2 EVs back. Graduated ND filters are useful, but this "free-to-try" full featured download programme has been a revalation.

It has image alignment, so with a wideangle at 14mm, I can handhold 3 shots by the AEB exposure setting over 3 stops with ease. The "Landscape" presets are a great way to produce a good image in less than a minute.

In a similar vein - Panorama Stitcher Mini is available free from the Mac store - in a version that will fuse up to 5 separate images.

Here are 3 images from a kit zoom, fused as straight out of camera JPEGs, taken just a few days ago looking to Raven Crag in the English Lake District. The operation is very simple - easier than any panorama stich programme that I have used before. So again - here is a good excuse to try out this great technique for free.....way cheaper than that 9-18mm zoom I have been looking to buy !

Last edited:
Real Name
Roddy
I use Aurora 2017 as my editing program. Not for the HDR but just for the ease with which it acts as a basic photo editor for any images I throw at it. It's one of the very few bits of software that plays pretty seamlessly with a Mac. The image alignment is but a bonus that I have not played with much but there are some other lovely little tricks to enjoy. Highly recommended.

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
Boy, oh boy! I picked up my Pentax *istDL today.

And if I didn't know better, I'd think that I bought it from myself! Being the certified original packaging freak that I am. Everything but the originally included 4 AA batteries was there, down to the original plastic bags.

Instead of the 4 AAs I got six pieces of rechargeable CR-V3 batteries. Of course I have chargers for both types of these things. The four I checked are the smart type with three contact points.

EDIT: I was only assuming that the batteries inside the camera were rechargeable. They were not. So, four pieces rechargeable and two pieces disposable batteries.

I haven't checked the shutter actuations yet, but I have no reason to believe that they aren't 1110 as stated. Which means I have to think long and hard about what I'm gonna shoot with the one remaining shutter actuation available to me, to get it up to 1111 actuations.

After that, it's the glass display case, together with one of my 18-55 mm kit lenses. Probably the one I got with my K100D Super. It's a similar vintage, and should have had a similar number of shutter actuations behind its bayonet...

In conclusion, I've bought less mint cameras new, in original shrink wrap packaging, from camera stores.

And I'll also have to buy a display case. But I'll probably pay for that by moving some of my Sega TV-games. Or something...

Last edited:

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
Boy, oh boy! I picked up my Pentax *istDL today.

And if I didn't know better, I'd think that I bought it from myself! Being a certified original packaging freak that I am. Everything but the original delivery of the 4 AA batteries was there, down to the original plastic bags.

Instead of the 4 AAs I got six pieces of rechargeable CR-V3 batteries. Of course I have chargers for both types of these things. The four I checked are the smart type with three contact points.

I haven't checked the shutter actuations yet, but I have no reason to believe that they aren't 1110 as stated. Which means I have to think long and hard about what I'm gonna shoot with the one remaining shutter actuation available to me, to get it up to 1111 actuations.

After that, it's the glass display case, together with one of my 18-55 mm kit lenses. Probably the one I got with my K100D Super. It's a similar vintage, and should have had a similar number of shutter actuations behind its bayonet...

In conclusion, I've bought less mint cameras new, in original shrink wrap packaging, from camera stores.

And I'll also have to buy a display case. But I'll probably pay for that by moving some of my Sega TV-games. Or something...
This forum needs to know......how much?

EDIT: You mean the one you bought for $60 or is this another one?

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom