what photography related item did you buy this week?

Real Name
Roddy
Minolta Maxxum 7000i
Sony A700
50/1.7 A Mount
70-210 A Mount
28-105 A Mount
Maxxum Flash
Compact Flash Card
Compact flash to SD converter (allows you to use an SD card in a Compact Flash Type II slot)
A high speed reader for SD, Compact Flash, and Micro SD.
Buy a cheap SD card, Tim - those converters do like to make fun of them....sigh. I bought one for my Canon D60 (the 'D' stands for Dinosaur), and ruined a perfectly good SD card with very little effort.

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
Don't let @Erich_H see that lens, he will be after you to sell it to him like a leach! ;)
Naah. Really don't feel jealous after getting me the SMC Pentax-M f:2.8/40 mm (the famous pancake) and the SMC Pentax-M f:2.8/100 mm for less than $20 together!!!

And to really put onion on your salmon I also got me a mint Schneider-Kreuznach Tele-Xenar f:5.5/150 mm in Exakta mount for a very reasonable price.

And, as the mayonnaise on top of your onions on top of your salmon (Yummy?), I just today got my Minolta MD and M42 focus confirmation (both) adapters for my Olympus E-450 delivered.

Goodbye boring plastic tide-me-over kit lens!

And I won't say anything else in this post about what else I've gotten to alleviate the recent depressional darkness of my soul.

Some people eat for comfort. Obviously I buy camera stuff.

Ecchh! What the heck. I also got me a mint Ambiflex.

Enough for now. Else you might think I'm some kind of an addict. I'm not.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Buy a cheap SD card, Tim - those converters do like to make fun of them....sigh. I bought one for my Canon D60 (the 'D' stands for Dinosaur), and ruined a perfectly good SD card with very little effort.
I've got a couple of cheapies laying around. The camera will only handle up to 32g, so most of my good stuff is already in a body or bag. There's an 8 and a 16 from days gone by floating around somewhere. I also bought a CF card just to hedge my bet.

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
In mint condition, from the local classified ads - the former owner told me it had barely ever been used...

View attachment 852666

The lens is in great shape, aperture and focus rings operate well, glass is perfect.

Now is time to play with adapted lenses and order some adaptors! Since I also have some Canon gear, I need a M42 to EOS adaptor for this.
Then the question... I wonder if I should be better to get a EOS to Micro 4/3 - this would permit to also use my Canon lenses with M4/3 bodies, or is it better to have a dedicated M42 to Micro 4/3.
Would there be any inconvenient to have 2 adaptors (i.e. M42 to EOS and EOS to M4/3) when using it with my M4/3 body?
Can you get an adapter for EOS to M4/3?

I've got a nice f:2.8/20 mm lump of unused EOS glass just sitting on a shelf.

cjoliprsf

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Claude
Can you get an adapter for EOS to M4/3?
Dumb adapters are available and very inexpensive, but won't let you change the aperture - hence the lens will be full open (as EOS lenses don't have an aperture ring). Also focus will only be available with older lenses that have a real focus ring (i.e. doesn't need to be connected to the camera in order to focus).
There are semi-smart adaptors (Jintu) that permit aperture operation, but not focus - however, reviews on those are mitigated at best.
And the real good smart adaptors such as Viltrox or Metabones that cost an arm and a leg and will autofocus and even make the lens stabilisation work. Also some cheap chinese smart adaptors (Fotga, Fotodiox) that get quite mitigated reviews.

For my Helios 44, I have ordered a M42 to EOS adaptor with AF confirm, so that should be fun to try on my Canon.
At this moment I am tempted by a cheap dumb EOS to M4/3 that will permit the use of the Helios on my M4/3 bodies, or wondering if it would be worth to go for something more expensive that would also permit the use of my EOS lenses with at least aperture operation (I don't mind manual focus).

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
Dumb adapters are available and very inexpensive, but won't let you change the aperture - hence the lens will be full open (as EOS lenses don't have an aperture ring). Also focus will only be available with older lenses that have a real focus ring (i.e. doesn't need to be connected to the camera in order to focus).
There are semi-smart adaptors (Jintu) that permit aperture operation, but not focus - however, reviews on those are mitigated at best.
And the real good smart adaptors such as Viltrox or Metabones that cost an arm and a leg and will autofocus and even make the lens stabilisation work. Also some cheap chinese smart adaptors (Fotga, Fotodiox) that get quite mitigated reviews.

For my Helios 44, I have ordered a M42 to EOS adaptor with AF confirm, so that should be fun to try on my Canon.
At this moment I am tempted by a cheap dumb EOS to M4/3 that will permit the use of the Helios on my M4/3 bodies, or wondering if it would be worth to go for something more expensive that would also permit the use of my EOS lenses with at least aperture operation (I don't mind manual focus).
Thanks! Informative for me that couldn't be bothered to find out for myself!

I just put one of my Helioses (?) in my new $15 Pixco M42 to 4/3 focus confirm adapter. It's working. Beep.

But for M42 to M4/3 I'd recommend the cheap stupid $3 - 5 adapters. Nothing can go wrong with a metal tube with thread in one end and a bayonet in the other... So cheap that you can have one per lens.

I don't think I'll go to any great lengths to put the 20 mm on something else than the old EOS 1n.

Last edited:

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Regular
I'm considering this lens so I am curious; @Darmok N Jalad did you get bad copies or are you just undicided on the lens in general? Does this lens suffer from a lot of sample variation?
Any lens can suffer from sample variation. Generally, the cheaper the lens the less quality control. However, the Panasonic 100-400 had the most quality control problems of any lens that I've seen in my decades of photography. And it was not cheap!

I haven't read of many complaints regarding the Olympus 75-300.

I've only had good experiences with my Olympus 75-300, which I use to this day. Using a long lens can take some getting used to.

It's always a good idea to be aware of your retailers return policies and make sure you're comfortable with them.

drknaim

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Tim
Finally got myself two of those FalconEyes RGB lights... got them both off ebay for about 167 €. There are many fun ideas to be tried ^^

OI000422.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

RevBob

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
Bought a new slingbag, a Mindshift Photocross 10. I wanted it for day trips and overseas travel. Holds my 10 inch Samsung tablet, two camera bodies, two or three lenses and various batteries, memory cards, etc.

Delb0y

Mu-43 Regular
A Panasonic 20mm 1.7. Had one several years ago when I had a G3. Looking forward to the weekend now :)

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
Just for fun!

Foreground: EXA IIb with mint Ihagee Exakta bellows. Bellows received today, in company with a Vivitar f:5.5/400 mm T2/Exakta mount (total inc. shipping: $25).
I do love the silly cheap deals!
On the bellows my Schneider-Kreuznach Tele-Xenar f:5.5/150 mm.

Background: Pentax Q with Leica M-adapter and Novoflex bellows. Lens: CS mount surveillance camera lens f:1.2/8 mm in a self made CS to Q-adapter in a Q to M39-adapter.

FV5_0701-01.jpeg

Last edited:

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Naah. Really don't feel jealous after getting me the SMC Pentax-M f:2.8/40 mm (the famous pancake) and the SMC Pentax-M f:2.8/100 mm for less than $20 together!!!

And to really put onion on your salmon I also got me a mint Schneider-Kreuznach Tele-Xenar f:5.5/150 mm in Exakta mount for a very reasonable price.

And, as the mayonnaise on top of your onions on top of your salmon (Yummy?), I just today got my Minolta MD and M42 focus confirmation (both) adapters for my Olympus E-450 delivered.

Goodbye boring plastic tide-me-over kit lens!

And I won't say anything else in this post about what else I've gotten to alleviate the recent depressional darkness of my soul.

Some people eat for comfort. Obviously I buy camera stuff.

Ecchh! What the heck. I also got me a mint Ambiflex.

Enough for now. Else you might think I'm some kind of an addict. I'm not.
A question if I may since you seem to adapt many lenses, is do you find any brands of adaptors that work better than others, IE at least focus to infinity, not loose / tight on the camera or lens etc. I am thinking of straight tube type adaptors not reducers or anything with glass. I have tried a few brands on ebay for both canon and minolta lenses and always seem to end up with bad fits. Like some fit smooth as silk on Olympus bodies and all but jamb on Panasonic bodies.

I am now just getting a few lenses like the Pergear ones in native Mu-43 mount till I can find a releable brand of adaptors. If there is such a thing.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
Fell for a sale... Bought a 2x3m or 3x2m backdrop from Kate Backdrop. No idea which color though since it's a "mystery pack" with free shipping. With my luck it's just a plain white or black backdrop but time will tell. I can always sell it and get my money back if it's no good. :D
So... Got the backdrop on Monday. It's a beautiful abstract brown backdrop which will definitely work well with basically anything (in my case dogs, horses & people). And it only costed 35 EUR so I'm superhappy! :cloud-9-039:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom