what photography related item did you buy this week?

I have a 35-100 f/4-5.6 on the way from Honkers.
Continuing my plan to keep it small, light, cheap and good with M43.
Currently have an EM 5 ii with Pana 14 and 20
I also have an Olympus MCON-PO2 macro converter so I'm interested to see how it goes with the 35-100....given that it's native MFD is a round 90cm.
Finally arrived after the, now usual, CV19 postal delays.
More than happy with this little lens....sharp and rather nice colour rendering.
I did try the Oly macro converter and found, that at 100mm, it reduces the MFD down to about 30cm, which makes it a pretty handy semi-macro setup.

cedge

Mu-43 Regular
I'm all for small and light and its why I got into m43 in the first place but, I was becoming increasingly unsatisfied with the photos from the Panasonic 45-175mm lens. Don't get me wrong, with good light the photos were excellent but at all other times I often found the photos disappointing and soft to the point that I didn't always take the lens with me (I blame the excellent 12-40 f2.8).....so I've purchased the Olympus 4/3 50-200 SWD beast along with an ec-14 tele-converter to see whether I can improve the number of 'keepers'. I accept that I won't take it everywhere but hoping that it will help 'complete' my set of lenses for the time being (I will have the 12-40 f2.8 pro, the 50-200, keeping my 20mm f1.7 for low light situations and the 4/3 50mm Macro). I can't think (for now.... :D) what other lens I would need...

Real Name
Roddy
That's interesting - I'm happy enough with my recently arrived 45-175, I must admit, For the money I paid for it I think it's good value, especially as its diminutive size and weight means it's always in my bag. And in the right light, I think it's perfectly adequate for its intended use. I suspect there is a good deal of copy variation, perhaps, and I need to concentrate on using adequate technique to get the best out of it, myself. A lot of images aren't worth keeping if I'm slap-dash while using it, I've found ...e-shutter may well be a necessity too, I think.

@cedge - does your copy have the latest firmware?

Last edited:

cedge

Mu-43 Regular
That's interesting - I'm happy enough with my recently arrived 45-175, I must admit, For the money I paid for it I think it's good value, especially as its diminutive size and weight means it's always in my bag. And in the right light, I think it's perfectly adequate for its intended use. I suspect there is a good deal of copy variation, perhaps, and I need to concentrate on using adequate technique to get the best out of it, myself. A lot of images aren't worth keeping if I'm slap-dash while using it, I've found ...e-shutter may well be a necessity too, I think.

@cedge - does your copy have the latest firmware?
It did and I did take some amazing pictures with it (especially in good light - see below), coupled with the fact it was light and compact which I loved, etc. so I was a little reluctant to let it go but, I think I was spoiled by the quality of the 12-40 f2.8 Pro lens and therefore I want to try and improve the quality (and consistency) of my telephoto images whilst also gaining a little more reach. I didn't want to stump up for the expensive Pro telephoto options so I did some research and the 4/3 50-200 crops up a lot so I'm going to give it a go (I also love using the 4/3 50mm f2 macro so I'm hopeful that I will love the 50-200 as well despite its size/weight). Like I said, I also picked up the ec-14 teleconverter (and the ex-25 extension tube adapter) so this will give me lots of options with both the 50mm and 50-200 lenses. Never say never though, if I don't get on with it, then I will look at more m43 fitting solutions.

32234123088_f31abfae8b_z.jpg 44803115805_8eed5d21fa_z.jpg

Last edited:
Real Name
Roddy
Never say never though, if I don't get on with it, then I will look at more m43 fitting solutions.
Let me know how it goes - I'm always keen to broaden my horizons too. I must admit it sounds like a decent lens that may suit my sessions with the tennis champ. The Sigma 60 is sometimes too short now at some of the venues, and the 45-175 is a little too slow. I wonder if the 50-200 may fit the bill better than my current line-up.

If you have the time and inclination I'd love to find out how you get on with it. Thanks for the feedback!

cedge

Mu-43 Regular
Let me know how it goes - I'm always keen to broaden my horizons too. I must admit it sounds like a decent lens that may suit my sessions with the tennis champ. The Sigma 60 is sometimes too short now at some of the venues, and the 45-175 is a little too slow. I wonder if the 50-200 may fit the bill better than my current line-up.

If you have the time and inclination I'd love to find out how you get on with it. Thanks for the feedback!

Will do, I'm almost a little nervous in terms of how I will get on with such a large lens.....but the m43 equivalent (the Pana Leica 50-200 is about 3 times the price of the Oly 50-200). People do say though that the handling is almost easier, because you hold the lens and thus shots are generally steadier. Time will tell.

alex66

Mu-43 All-Pro
A bright orange camera bag and a back pack, two Nikon En-El9 batteries and 3 Ikea Klippan sofas used to strip down for the covers and foam to make new upholstery for the camper.

mumu

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Laowa 17/1.8 manual focus lens. At CAD$220 before tax, it is the least expensive micro four thirds lens I've ever bought, beating out the previous record holder, my Samyang 7.5 fisheye. I bought it because I've discovered that the Resume Lens Position feature on my GX9 is not reliable at returning the camera to its last-used focus distance. This is a problem for my street photography since I primarily use zone focusing and it has caused me to completely miss focus on some shots. Despite its low cost, I'm not too concerned about its optical performance since I'll typically be shooting around f/4-5.6 and don't care much about the edges. Bokeh won't really be noticeable so all I'm hoping for is decent contrast and no horrible flare or strong/uncorrectable chromatic aberration.

The distance scale was quite inaccurate so I taped my own marks onto it (3ft, 6ft and 10ft). It's a surprisingly hefty little lens, btw. The focus and aperture rings also have a nice, smooth, well-damped feel to them. Quite unlike my Samyang which has a rather stiff focus ring.

Our first big rain storm of the season just arrived so it might be a while before I can test it out in my usual zone focus street shooting scenario (ie: direct sunlight).

20200924_122032_PNG96138_misc.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
20200924_122102_PNG96141_misc.jpg

Real Name
Jeff
About a month ago I bought a Mavic Mini. This week I bought the new Olympus 100-400. This is the first M4/3 lens I've bought new (though I have a bunch of 4/3 AND M4/3 lenses that I bought used).

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Two of these arrived today. Hope to use them as a way of attaching things to my "L" brackets to hold lights etc for macro use
https://www.gumptrade.com/14120000301.html
Clamp.png

IMG_2969.JPG

IMG_2968.JPG

Also one of these, unlike their picture the legs do not lock in the tall possion, only when fully spread
But for the price and intended use not a problem.
The leg joints are quite stiff so a small camera could be supported with legs in any possition, with a small prime
https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-tabletop-mini-tripod-with-panoramic-ball-head-but2664.html

tripod.png

One note about this tripod after playing with it a bit is the head is not really arca swiss fully compatable. The plate that comes with the tripod has the taper going to almost a point at the bottom as in the picture. Most arca swiss plates have about a 1.5mm step at the bottom, which means they do not really get gripped properly.

Last edited:

Temup

New to Mu-43
EM1-X, I traded my em1-mk2 for it and it arrived yesterday. I had upgraded to the em1-mk3 earlier this summer.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Also purchased some of these cheap rubber lens hoods from Gump Trade.
https://www.gumptrade.com/photography-accessories/lens-hood-eyecup.html

These are a real mixed bag. Cheap but you get your moneys worth. Some are old stock it appears as when they are folded in the folded area goes grey which can indicate age.
Unlike some more expensive rubber hoods the rubber section is not moulded on or that tight on the metal ring. But that is also a good thing as the wide angle ones [have not tried the normal view ones] also have a front thread for a filter or lens cap. Something that a lot of more expensive ones do not have. The down side is you can pull the rubber off if the hood gets caught in a bag, very likely.

The plus side is that these make great filter extensions now that the likes of Colkin filter extensions are very hard to find. So if you have a lens front element that has a convex shape you can use low profile filters and not have them touch the front element. The groove can also be used to hold a diffuser. Need 72mm+ for this.
As far as lens vignetting goes the Panasonic 14-140 does nor vignet at 14mm with the hood colasped
but the
Olympus 12-100 does vignet at 12mm with the hood colasped. The 72mm hood does not hold its shape very well so is not a real circle which does not help, and I imagine other brands as the size increases will have the same problem.

The versions I have tried are the wide angle versions, and this makes them better for zooms, but more prone to get caught in bags.
the one shown here is this one

IMG_2970.JPG

IMG_2971.JPG

Above groove that the rubber hood fits into
Below diffuser in above groove, need 72mm+ for this
IMG_2972.JPG

Below is a shot of the hood colar, makes a good filter extension and for the price worth getting for this and not using the rubber hood
IMG_2973.JPG

Last edited:

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Couple of "old" plastic camera straps, for the local high school.
The old plastic strap can be disinfected fairly easily.
The new modern fabric straps cannot be easily disinfected.

Gear must be disinfected before the next student is allowed to handle it.

alex66

Mu-43 All-Pro
10m of red 10mm poly webbing to make straps, being a person that prefers a thin strap. A Yonguno 35mm in Nikon as it was well priced.

Bob in Pittsburgh

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Bob (who would have guessed?)
The battery door fell off my PEN E-PL7 the other day, so I bought a replacement ($8.71 from getolympus.com). While I was there I bought barrel-style lens cases for my four most-used lenses (another 45 dollars or so).

Noeppel

New to Mu-43
The deal was just too good, so a dream came true and i just bought an E-M1 II. Tried to put a stop to my camera related purchases but you can't deny a free 1.2, can you? And I kind of rediscovered my joy in taking photos on my holiday.
HOWEVER, THE CAMERA CAME WITH AN EMPTY BATTERY so I'm posting here instead of setting up the camera while it is loading 🌞

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom