what photography related item did you buy this week?

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
Picked up a Miops Smart+ Trigger as I wanted a wireless intervalometer that I could control from my iPhone. Waiting for it to arrive on Friday from Istanbul!

View attachment 848522
WoW, that is quite intriguing. May I ask why (for example any specific project or need for it) would you need an external one besides the built-in intervalometers in the E-Mx/xx ?

DanS

Mu-43 All-Pro
I didn't buy it, but I bought the filament to make 6 of them. I've had several different battery containers, but never really like any of them. They were either too big, too awkward, or just poorly designed. The number one thing that annoyed me about most of them is that they didn't allow you to invert a battery to signify it was used. I designed this holder to fill my needs, and to fit in a standard lens pocket in my bag.

Pictured with a Pany 25mm f/1.7 for a size reference.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
I didn't buy it, but I bought the filament to make 6 of them. I've had several different battery containers, but never really like any of them. They were either too big, too awkward, or just poorly designed. The number one thing that annoyed me about most of them is that they didn't allow you to invert a battery to signify it was used. I designed this holder to fill my needs, and to fit in a standard lens pocket in my bag.

Pictured with a Pany 25mm f/1.7 for a size reference.

View attachment 848525View attachment 848526View attachment 848527
That's awesome, I would be quite interested in buying such an item :)
Or if you could make a BL-N/H battery case with a few millimeters U channel around the edge of the case to fit in a small rubber gasket to make it weather resistent, semitransparent (well enough to see the arrow or label on the battery) with a red dot on one side and green on the other to flip the battery with the arrow or the label on the dot for depleted/full. I still use the battery case that the original spare batteries I bought for my E-M1 Mark III but I do wish they had a bit of rain protection because I keep one in a tiny external holster on my backpack strap for fast access (especially in wildlife situations) when the need arises.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
An EM1 Mkii largely for access to the free 1.2 Pro lens.
Someone's getting a camera almost for free :p

PS. I wish it was available for the E-M1X as well, I am more interested in the big guy then the Mark II since I already have the Mark III. Still ... I'll think about it and talk to my GF, maybe I can convince her and she can keep the E-M1 Mark II and I can keep the Oly 17mm f 1.2 Pro ... maybe throw in the promise of amazing family portraits as a bait :p

Last edited:

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
Good luck with fixing it mate. Suffered with my back for nigh on 20yrs and you never know when it's gonna hit.

My wife had surgery on a herniated disc three years ago. She is still not right (but better than she was!) . Tricky things with no guarantees.

My wife had surgery on a herniated disc three years ago. She is still not right (but better than she was!) . Tricky things with no guarantees.
Bugger ... My commiserations.

No one knows what's causing these problems I'm having, but could be associated with lumbar facet syndrome, disc problems or osteoarthritis. Or all of them ... :( .

The 8x Panadeine Forte daily are certainly making me a bit dozy, but should be able to cut that back in the next couple of days. They just take the edge off the pain ...

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
It's a hard choice and I was told that surgery would fix the pain but result in less mobility ie twisting and bending could be limited so I opted out.

yeah, very tough choice.

She's only early 40's but it was debilitating - couldn't walk or function properly - so in a sense there wasn't much choice.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
Probably correct. My son joined the RAN Officer training college 8 weeks ago so I've had no deckie to pull anchor and help trailer and so I have been going out solo. Gets to be hard work at my age :) He's at sea atm on HMAS Adelaide so he certainly won't be pulling anchor on that! :)
I had a total hip replacement about 8 years ago. The consultant's first question when reviewing my scan was "so, when did you break your hip?".

Diamondback

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mark
WoW, that is quite intriguing. May I ask why (for example any specific project or need for it) would you need an external one besides the built-in intervalometers in the E-Mx/xx ?
As it is a wireless trigger it gives me flexibility of activating a sequence away from the camera without having to set a defined delay in-camera which has a limited set of times. It is also much faster in setting up and/or changing the delay, exposure, interval and number of shots than fiddling with camera menus and I can do all this from a distance on the fly if necessary. You can set times in fractions of a second. It has internal sensors that can react to sound and light and can be trigged by breaking a laser beam. All in all it has a very rich feature set that goes way beyond the in-camera intervalometer.

Last edited:

CD77

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Chris
As it is a wireless trigger it gives me flexibility of activating a sequence away from the camera without having to set a defined delay in-camera which has a limited set of times. It is also much faster in setting up and/or changing the delay, exposure, interval and number of shots than fiddling with camera menus and I can do all this from a distance on the fly if necessary. You can set times in fractions of a second. It has internal sensors that can react to sound and light and can be trigged by breaking a laser beam. All in all it has a very reach feature set that goes way beyond the in-camera intervalometer.
@MichaelSewell wrote a quite in-depth review of the Miops Smart Trigger a couple of years ago that might be worth checking out.

doady

Mu-43 Regular
I bought some new photography books last week:

The Tudor Home I bought in-person from a local Indigo while I was searching for books on clearance. It was only $8. No PST on books in my province either. I don't mind photos of architecture but I wasn't too impressed with the actual photography while browsing through an open copy of the book in the store, but I thought maybe my mom would like it.

The rest I bought online for myself from Amazon. Atlantic City was $17, One Year $6, and We $19. We is the only one that has glue in its binding, which I always try to avoid; but it is also stitched, and the book is very heavy and thick, with thick paper and almost 400 pages and full colour, so maybe I can't expect too much.

The stores in my city no longer sell Black & White magazine and I used to buy every issue, which came out every two months. So in the past year or so I started to turn to books to experience photography in print. I like them even more than magazines now and some of them were even cheaper than magazines.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
Someone's getting a camera almost for free :p

PS. I wish it was available for the E-M1X as well, I am more interested in the big guy then the Mark II since I already have the Mark III. Still ... I'll think about it and talk to my GF, maybe I can convince her and she can keep the E-M1 Mark II and I can keep the Oly 17mm f 1.2 Pro ... maybe throw in the promise of amazing family portraits as a bait :p
GF said hell yes ... finance department said hell no :(

Panolyman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Brian
Good luck with fixing it mate. Suffered with my back for nigh on 20yrs and you never know when it's gonna hit.
I hope you get sorted soon Kev, but can we please stop talking bad backs?
Mine went into spasm about 2 hours ago and I think it must be like when someone yawns: it's catching.
Just had three rounds of my gentle exercises to try and release it and managed to amble to my seat here to be confronted by this issue! :laugh:

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
I bought a Sigma achromatic and an Opteka achromatic close up lens for my FZ1000. Not that I needed both, but I had already paid for the Sigma when I noticed the Opteka at a starting bid of just 0.99p. The 58mm thread size versions normally go for around £30. The larger size, in this case a 72mm, go for far more. So I couldn't resist. I prefer using an Opteka instead of the Raynox 150 or 250.

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
Bugger ... My commiserations.

No one knows what's causing these problems I'm having, but could be associated with lumbar facet syndrome, disc problems or osteoarthritis. Or all of them ... :( .

The 8x Panadeine Forte daily are certainly making me a bit dozy, but should be able to cut that back in the next couple of days. They just take the edge off the pain ...
Ive suffered with facet joint problems amongst other issues
this can be due to the discs losing their fluid content and their height which then allows the facet joints to close up a bit and become inflamed when irritated by particular movement
I go to an osteoptah regularly and this does help a lot
I find that always sitting with plenty of lumbar support really makes a big difference especially in cars. If you use a little more lumbar support than strictly required it can push the mechanics of your back back into a better alignment

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom