what photography related item did you buy this week?

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
I went the other direction @gnarlydog australia ...

After only owning m43 mount lenses I picked up my first m42 screw mount lenses. Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 and Helios 44-2 58mm f2. While the PayPal password was fresh on the mind I bought an m42 to EF adapter and EF-m43 Zhongyi Lens Turbo II focal reducer to expand the field of view. I'm hoping to get even more of the unique characteristics of each lens by "seeing" more of the field of view it was designed for.
indeed a great move that I have often contemplated but never done: a focal reducer to actually get more of the goodness out of a SLR lens. The only thing holding me back is that I tend not to use those lenses too much because they are a bit bulky/heavy :(. I am kind of obsessed with having a small kit with me when I am out and about, especially on backpacking trips or motorcycle rides.

Mountain_Man_79

Wu-Tang is Forever
Real Name
Chris
My camera strap and lug strap attachments arrived from the UK today. I added a small pair of quick release clips to the mix. The soft shutter release sometime last week. And with the 3 lenses I now have for it, the Yashica is complete. Next week she’s coming with me on vacation, and I can’t wait to run some film through her!

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
My camera strap and lug strap attachments arrived from the UK today. I added a small pair of quick release clips to the mix. The soft shutter release sometime last week. And with the 3 lenses I now have for it, the Yashica is complete. Next week she’s coming with me on vacation, and I can’t wait to run some film through her!

View attachment 847849
WoW, I love the Yashica brand so much, ML lenses are legendary in reputation and the cameras have always been tough little nuggets. A brand that was lost in the darkness of the forgotten, even with the revival of film photography and mirrorless adaptations.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
No doubt about the quality of the lens but I have a lot to learn about macro. I'm looking forward to getting my grubby mitts on this little gem :)
Like it was mentioned, the lens is a little gem. I have been using it a lot this past 2 weeks since my Panny Leica 50-200mm is away on a refused repair and I haven't had the time to get it back yet.
I love the Olympus rendition, I tried using it outside of macro and I was suprised how pretty the pictures come out: wildlife, portrait, landscape.
What I have learned/noticed:
*Don't forget about the AF limiter switch (I had a few moments where I lost good picture opportunity because the switch was at 0.19-0.40 meters),
*If you have trouble with DoF try In Camera Focus Stacking if there's no wind (it can do wonders in Macro usage),
*In Macro usage I prefer Fully Electronic Shutter (even with a very quiet and damn E-M1 III and E-M5 II I found that Electronic First Curtain the shutter movement still has an impact on my hand and stability at such high magnification, I prefer handheld macro over tripod usage outdoors),
*The AF is very quick even for AF-C from half a meter to infinity, closer it slows down so use the AF switch to push it quickly to 1:1 and focus with your grip, moving back and forwards),
*Macro lenses have extremely flat DoF so you can focus and recompose even to extrem corners and get sharp subject IF you can hold the same vertical plane, especially at high magnification.

(This lens migh push me to dump Panny Leica 50-200mm for Oly 40-150mm Pro ... IF I can get rid of the desire to swap/try 35mm FF that has been bugging me for the last few weeks).

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Real Name
Randy
Like it was mentioned, the lens is a little gem. I have been using it a lot this past 2 weeks since my Panny Leica 50-200mm is away on a refused repair and I haven't had the time to get it back yet.
I love the Olympus rendition, I tried using it outside of macro and I was suprised how pretty the pictures come out: wildlife, portrait, landscape.
What I have learned/noticed:
*Don't forget about the AF limiter switch (I had a few moments where I lost good picture opportunity because the switch was at 0.19-0.40 meters),
*If you have trouble with DoF try In Camera Focus Stacking if there's no wind (it can do wonders in Macro usage),
*In Macro usage I prefer Fully Electronic Shutter (even with a very quiet and damn E-M1 III and E-M5 II I found that Electronic First Curtain the shutter movement still has an impact on my hand and stability at such high magnification, I prefer handheld macro over tripod usage outdoors),
*The AF is very quick even for AF-C from half a meter to infinity, closer it slows down so use the AF switch to push it quickly to 1:1 and focus with your grip, moving back and forwards),
*Macro lenses have extremely flat DoF so you can focus and recompose even to extrem corners and get sharp subject IF you can hold the same vertical plane, especially at high magnification.

(This lens migh push me to dump Panny Leica 50-200mm for Oly 40-150mm Pro ... IF I can get rid of the desire to swap/try 35mm FF that has been bugging me for the last few weeks).
The 40-150 pro is an awesome lens. A bit on the heavy side for M43, but it is crazy sharp, and I even like my results with the MC-20. I don't seem to notice the lack of OIS one bit either.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
The 40-150 pro is an awesome lens. A bit on the heavy side for M43, but it is crazy sharp, and I even like my results with the MC-20. I don't seem to notice the lack of OIS one bit either.
I have noticed the AF was playing a lot nicer on Oly 60mm Macro with the E-M1 III than with Panny Leica 50-200mm. I can't put my finger on it why or how (at least not until I compare them together). This might explain some of the inconsistencies in terms of sharpness I have gotten with Panny Leica.

I've been having some annoying thoughts about trying or swithching to (mostly,) Sony Ax because my photographic interests are mixing with life priorities more now. Having a family, getting more interested in documenting our lives, being more focused on spontaneity and adaptability. Kids and puppers running around like crazy, outdoors in full daylight is not a big issue, but indoors (especially on cloudy moody days as well as evenings) I am pushing the ISO to high on my Oly 12-40mm f 2.8 Pro. I have tried using the Oly FL-LM3 and it works for when we look for photographic opportunities but it does distract and even annoy (making the document pictures feel less "fun and engaging").
And to top, it all off the Panny Pankey 20mm f 1.7 did bring quite a bit of excitment for wideness and some bokelishesness to the images ... and I want more, something closer to f 1 to f 1.4, 28mm to 50mm but with a dependable AF speed ... which my brain keeps bugging me of a Sony A9 or A7R III/IV with a 24/28-70-75mm f 2.8 for that and the Real Time Tracking and unbelievably fast and accurate Real Time Eye Tracking. Maybe even a 35mm f 1.8 for indoor moments.
Before I lived alone, on my own and my interests were mostly Landscape, Wildlife, Macro but now I am thinking of other things. (Damn life conundrums).

CD77

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Chris
I have noticed the AF was playing a lot nicer on Oly 60mm Macro with the E-M1 III than with Panny Leica 50-200mm. I can't put my finger on it why or how (at least not until I compare them together). This might explain some of the inconsistencies in terms of sharpness I have gotten with Panny Leica.

I've been having some annoying thoughts about trying or swithching to (mostly,) Sony Ax because my photographic interests are mixing with life priorities more now. Having a family, getting more interested in documenting our lives, being more focused on spontaneity and adaptability. Kids and puppers running around like crazy, outdoors in full daylight is not a big issue, but indoors (especially on cloudy moody days as well as evenings) I am pushing the ISO to high on my Oly 12-40mm f 2.8 Pro. I have tried using the Oly FL-LM3 and it works for when we look for photographic opportunities but it does distract and even annoy (making the document pictures feel less "fun and engaging").
And to top, it all off the Panny Pankey 20mm f 1.7 did bring quite a bit of excitment for wideness and some bokelishesness to the images ... and I want more, something closer to f 1 to f 1.4, 28mm to 50mm but with a dependable AF speed ... which my brain keeps bugging me of a Sony A9 or A7R III/IV with a 24/28-70-75mm f 2.8 for that and the Real Time Tracking and unbelievably fast and accurate Real Time Eye Tracking. Maybe even a 35mm f 1.8 for indoor moments.
Before I lived alone, on my own and my interests were mostly Landscape, Wildlife, Macro but now I am thinking of other things. (Damn life conundrums).
I know plenty of people who have bought FF to document their family and have rarely picked their camera up since buying it because of the hassle (recording their kids with their phones instead), whereas my kids are fed up of me sticking my camera in their faces (EM10ii, with P25 for indoor stuff). There are options for faster lenses in M43... 16mm f/1.4 is the one that springs to mind as wide affordable and fast for indoors, or the 10-25 f/1.7 if your budget is a little more elastic. I guess what I'm saying is don't discount the small size and fun factor of M43 for family documentary photos... you only get the photos when you pick up the camera!

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Real Name
Randy

As a father of 3, I can tell you that lightweight is what you will probably want as they get a little older (like when they become mobile), otherwise, you'll leave your heavy kit at home every time you go out, as you'll be taking other stuff with you for quite a while, or maybe even carrying both your kid and your camera with you at times. I've ended up carrying a 4 year old on my back with my camera around my neck for long walks more than once, and I was thankful for the light gear.

Mine are a little older now (ages 4-9), and I take my camera with me on most outings, and I've been able to do a lot more photography with the EM5.3. For indoors, the F1.8 primes like the 25mm or 45mm work pretty well with ISO 1600. Honestly, for indoor stuff, I still find myself grabbing my smartphone for the spontaneous stuff (quick to ready, easy for video, and easy for quick sharing), and the serious gear is for intentional photography moments.

Just my 2 cents from this ol' man. :)

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
I know plenty of people who have bought FF to document their family and have rarely picked their camera up since buying it because of the hassle (recording their kids with their phones instead), whereas my kids are fed up of me sticking my camera in their faces (EM10ii, with P25 for indoor stuff). There are options for faster lenses in M43... 16mm f/1.4 is the one that springs to mind as wide affordable and fast for indoors, or the 10-25 f/1.7 if your budget is a little more elastic. I guess what I'm saying is don't discount the small size and fun factor of M43 for family documentary photos... you only get the photos when you pick up the camera!
I am not discounting M4/3, I am actually pushing my gear to its limit of what it can do, constantly :) ... it's very true about the often-bility (Yus, I just made that word up :p ) is one of the biggest features of Micro Four Thirds and the reason I got into and stayed in the system since 2009. The only combo that comes to mind that can come close to the size and weight (convenience) is the Sony A7/c with the Tamron 28-75mm f 2.8 (and one advantage of this combo is in terms of DoF it can replace Olympus 12-40mm f 2.8 Pro and any prime lens from Micro Four Thirds. PS: I am not trying to attack M4/3 nor defend 35mm FF, just looking at the bigger picture and taking in all arguments :p ).

I have been thinking of Sigma 16mm f 1.4 for indoors, since its a lot cheaper then Oly 17mm f 1.2, wider the Panny Leica 25mm f 1.4 and less distorty (of the nature of wide angle) of Panny Leica 12mm f 1.4. I wanted to trade my old lenses with the Sigma but it was being sold at 280 £ which was a bit too high on my budget for the next few months, hence I got the Panny Panky 20mm f 1.7 instead. Even before this new sense of priority I was considering Sigma 16mm/30mm/56mm f 1.4 as a set of family portraits which would give me the f 2.8 35mm FF DoF level admitedly at the less convenient 3 lens swap and slightly higher price package to the Tamron 28-75mm f 2.8 (including size and weight difference).

PS. I will be printing these portraits quite often as well, mostly A3 in size since that's the limit of my Epson XP-970.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
As a father of 3, I can tell you that lightweight is what you will probably want as they get a little older (like when they become mobile), otherwise, you'll leave your heavy kit at home every time you go out, as you'll be taking other stuff with you for quite a while, or maybe even carrying both your kid and your camera with you at times. I've ended up carrying a 4 year old on my back with my camera around my neck for long walks more than once, and I was thankful for the light gear.

Mine are a little older now (ages 4-9), and I take my camera with me on most outings, and I've been able to do a lot more photography with the EM5.3. For indoors, the F1.8 primes like the 25mm or 45mm work pretty well with ISO 1600. Honestly, for indoor stuff, I still find myself grabbing my smartphone for the spontaneous stuff (quick to ready, easy for video, and easy for quick sharing), and the serious gear is for intentional photography moments.

Just my 2 cents from this ol' man. :)
I always appreciate a piece of advice, no matter the age of the source (wink wink :p ).

The family relationship is not straight forward, since all 3 kids don't live with us but they do come to visit (a bit different now as the current situation of the human malware). Age 8-14 and as kids these days they don't like standing in front of the camera to often so candids is the name of the game :p
And the puppies are even "worse", Hawk tries to lick my face off or chew my ears every chances he gets and Spud just loves crowning herself in my lap and constantly begging for tummy rubs :D
Outdoors I wouldn't have any issues with M4/3. The E-M1 Mark III handles the AF and Eye Tracking quite well and the Oly 12-40mm f 2.8 does quite nicely, can always back away and shoot at longer FL for more background blur. Indoors is where there's some difficulties, the walls are painted a light purple colour and one wall has flower tapestry and it makes the living room darker then I would like (going to try to see if we can have it painted something brighter). And I am planning on getting dual socket lightbulb adapters because I want to put 4 smart lights in the living room which might brighten up the room in the evening but 1/3 or possibly 1/2 stop.
Even for a nice phone like Samsung Galaxy Note 8 I don't use the camera on it all that much, I'm not a big fan of the output of it. Most I use it is for web sharing of stuff (like posting pictures of a new item I buy).

For the last few weeks there's always on the table my Little Oly with the 12-40mm f 2.8 Pro attached to it, available at any moment worth capturing. My GF has been using it quite a bit. I rarely have my phone on me actually, most the time it stays on a Logitech phone dock (it came with the gaming keyboard) or on the wirelss charger :)

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
@L0n3Gr3yW0lf Ovidiu, how are you getting on with your XP-970?
Forgive me father ... for I have sinned :p

Well sort off, me and the printer are getting along fine if not for my lack of printing lately. Been working stupidly to much (to the point that the only time I'm not doing something is when I'm unconcious :p ) and I haven't been making much of anything photography related (I went from 8.000 pictures made in July to 200 pictures made in August and this month is not looking any better either).

I haven't printed anything on the 3rd party inks yet, well no photos that is. I will print pictures next week. My last day at this job is the upcoming Thursday and I need to print quite a few A3 pictures, and probably some A4 as well, I recieved 20 Kodak A4s, 20 Koala A4s and 50 ICE A4s papers yesterday to test those brands and test print pictures before I use my A3 Canon luster papers (they were not cheap or many so I want to make sure every print goes into the frame and not the bin).

@L0n3Gr3yW0lf Different papers give quite different results.

For testing, I recommend using 6x4, A5 or A4 of the same type of paper.

I understand exactly what you mean about cost. Ilford A2 costs me about $200+ per box of 50 sheets, and ink for my Epson R3880 is horrendously expensive - about AUD$700 for a full set.

Glad that you have work. Things look pretty grim in most parts of the world. We have been in lockdown here in Victoria for over 6 weeks now. Doesn't really affect us much, as we are retired. But if we get this ... :( . It does rather interfere with our building works though!

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
@L0n3Gr3yW0lf Different papers give quite different results.

For testing, I recommend using 6x4, A5 or A4 of the same type of paper.

I understand exactly what you mean about cost. Ilford A2 costs me about $200+ per box of 50 sheets, and ink for my Epson R3880 is horrendously expensive - about AUD$700 for a full set.

Glad that you have work. Things look pretty grim in most parts of the world. We have been in lockdown here in Victoria for over 6 weeks now. Doesn't really affect us much, as we are retired. But if we get this ... :( . It does rather interfere with our building works though!
Yus, different papers give different results. I wanted to see if I could be happy with those brands and specific paper models. It's part of learning the printing process.
I am thinking of testing PermaJet next, in the upcoming months.

I am being offered photo job opportunities recently and they might include print selling as well, so things are kind of getting exciting.

While I would be glad to have work but I have been working over 200 hours every month for 8 out of 9 months now, the stress of working in a Dementia Nursing home made specific of End of Life for the past 2 1/2 years has pilled up to pretty close to breaking point, added the Human Malware anxiety without relief, incompetence of UK gov. and management of Nursing Homes, added by loneliness and severe depression (up to very recently). I've been falling apart health, mentally, and emotionally, I am making pretty significant changes and sacrifices to get out of the whole I dug myself into.
There are no solutions in life, only tradeoffs.

Yus, different papers give different results. I wanted to see if I could be happy with those brands and specific paper models. It's part of learning the printing process.
I am thinking of testing PermaJet next, in the upcoming months.
Beware of generic brand papers. These may be from different manufacturers with each batch, so a poor guide.

I am being offered photo job opportunities recently and they might include print selling as well, so things are kind of getting exciting.
That is something to look forward to ... :) .

While I would be glad to have work but I have been working over 200 hours every month for 8 out of 9 months now, the stress of working in a Dementia Nursing home made specific of End of Life for the past 2 1/2 years has pilled up to pretty close to breaking point, added the Human Malware anxiety without relief, incompetence of UK gov. and management of Nursing Homes, added by loneliness and severe depression (up to very recently). I've been falling apart health, mentally, and emotionally, I am making pretty significant changes and sacrifices to get out of the whole I dug myself into.
There are no solutions in life, only tradeoffs.
I wish you all the very best with all of that, mate. I do not envy you either the hard work, or the mental stress all this is putting on you. COVID-19 has added a terrible dimension to this. Almost all the deaths in Australia have been in Victoria (700+ out of 800+), and over two thirds of those have been nursing/aged care facilities. About half of all infections here have been in health care staff.

And the long term effects look pretty bad, even for those who have had a relatively benign infection. I've discussed what I call "Post COVID syndrome" with both my GP and my Cardiologist. They confirm my own thoughts on this - i.e. not a good long term outlook - permanent lung, heart and arterial damage that's quite unlike what is seen in classic corona virus infections, whether flu or colds. Only time will tell.

Life is a sexually transmitted disease, which is invariably fatal ....

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom