what photography related item did you buy this week?

My limited time on this forum suggests we probably wouldn’t go there anyway! With the way this year has gone, a lot of people’s nerves are frayed, so a light-hearted corner of the world is certainly welcome. :)

Though I do have to disagree with @John King, unless I misunderstand his comment on cats. We have a part-siamese that cannot stand being alone. Sometimes she will harass you until you sit down and let her on your lap, and you cannot pet her enough. We sometimes joke that she’s a cat that thinks she’s a dog. She absolutely loves people, but hates other animals. 😺
Randy, all generalizations are wrong, including mine.

BTW, the Wikipedia article on field dependence bears no relationship to what I learned in Psychology school, or my use of the term in this thread.

Field dependence involves relying on a strong social support network to function in all aspects of life. Field independence is the opposite.

And my comments were not anti-Apple, they apply to human behaviour in general. Most people are field dependent, and therefore congregate in and belong to groups of one description or another.

jhawk1000

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mel
One purchase leads to another. I think that is a rule! I got my MC-14 1.4X converter and it did not have a front cap. Well, it needed one so I got on eBay and found that they were highly overpriced but found one for $13.00 with free shipping and it came yesterday so the converter is protected. We photographed Volleyball last night for the high school. I played recreational volleyball but had little experience with it photographically nor as a fan. It was not that hard with the 50-200mm lens with auto ISO and shutter priority. I do not enjoy watching volleyball since it seems it is a couple of hits, a bunch o girls on one side jumping up and down and then it starts all over again. We might get used to it since we have another one tomorrow and then football Friday night. The 1.4X worked great with the 40-150 2.8 on my wife's Em 1 ii.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
And my comments were not anti-Apple, they apply to human behaviour in general. Most people are field dependent, and therefore congregate in and belong to groups of one description or another.
I agree, to be truly unbiased means you need to have no emotional investment in anything related to potential bias, which is almost impossible since as humans, psychologically, are creatures who built their world since infancy on emotions (with the rare exceptions of Vulcans that is :p ). It would be more useful and realistic to be aware when you might have bias tendencies than to deny any biases one could have.
Reason is built on either facts or past experiences (which these tend to have some emotional involvement). Today the amount of information can obscure truly factual information and it can be difficult to separate emotional expression (of journalists and reporters) in sources of information.

What am I blabbering about, or more like why am I saying all of these? It's because all the sources I mentioned in my reply about my lack of interest in Apple products are with, at least some kind of, emotional baggage from the hosts' experience with Apple products and services. I had only one Apple product used on a daily basis so my relationship with Apple is quite limited. While others can go a very long time extremely happy with Apple stuff so are others who have enough issues to shun Apple into a hole of hate (alongside EA Games which THEY RIGHTLY DESERVE, but that's a whole different topic for another day).
I try to keep my biases for Apple products aimed at Apple's culture and way of operating (anticonsumer like) and not the product themselves (if they merit praises, ex: I think Apple Watch is the best thing on the market and deserves its price and its great reputation, I full-heartedly recommend it with singing praises).

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
One purchase leads to another. I think that is a rule! I got my MC-14 1.4X converter and it did not have a front cap. Well, it needed one so I got on eBay and found that they were highly overpriced but found one for $13.00 with free shipping and it came yesterday so the converter is protected. We photographed Volleyball last night for the high school. I played recreational volleyball but had little experience with it photographically nor as a fan. It was not that hard with the 50-200mm lens with auto ISO and shutter priority. I do not enjoy watching volleyball since it seems it is a couple of hits, a bunch o girls on one side jumping up and down and then it starts all over again. We might get used to it since we have another one tomorrow and then football Friday night. The 1.4X worked great with the 40-150 2.8 on my wife's Em 1 ii.
I would like to know more about your experience with MC-14 on 4/3 lenses. I'm still on the fence for getting the Olympus 150mm f 2 but I am curious if MC-14 works better, in any way, then EC-14.

jhawk1000

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mel
MC-14 will not work with the 43 lenses since the adapter will not let the converter clear the inner flange. I have tried it with two of the generic 43 to m43 adapters with no luck. I saw on another forum that it did not work with the MMF-3 but I do not have that one.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
I have a 2017 s90 and love it. Incredibly comfortable. And a lot of tech crammed in there. It’s like driving an iPhone!
:hiding:
Oh, both the V70 and the V60 is kind of comfortable once you get inside, but getting inside is the worst problem, the roof is so low when you get in the door that you have to bend your neck out of shape to get in! (At least for me.) And when you get in there is the roof support at the top of my head just centimetres from my head so if I get banged about a little I hit my head on it!
Crammed in there is the right word! That is how I feel sitting in a Volvo!
The XC90 might be better but I have never been in one.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Real Name
Randy
Buy him an EM1X.
If he’s just going to chew it up,
Randy, all generalizations are wrong, including mine.

BTW, the Wikipedia article on field dependence bears no relationship to what I learned in Psychology school, or my use of the term in this thread.

Field dependence involves relying on a strong social support network to function in all aspects of life. Field independence is the opposite.

No worries here, I didn’t take it that way. I was trying to be light-hearted about it. Most cats I’ve known are just like you say, we just happened to get one that thinks she’s a dog. :)

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
MC-14 will not work with the 43 lenses since the adapter will not let the converter clear the inner flange. I have tried it with two of the generic 43 to m43 adapters with no luck. I saw on another forum that it did not work with the MMF-3 but I do not have that one.
Oh my, that is quite disappointing. I still have my Olympus MMF-3 because I paid a pretty penny for it and the trade-in value is appalling but I did give my Panasonic DMW-MA1 for trade-in because it felt less valuable and useful from the lack of weather sealing compared to MMF-3. And I do have the Panasonic DMW-TC14 but I didn't have any 4/3 telephoto lenses to test both MMF-3 and MA1, I wish I would have now.
I wonder with the M4/3 teleconverters were design specifically to interfere with 4/3 adapters to make them incompatible.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
PS. I am thinking, when I come back from my holiday in mid-October (that is IF the UK doesn't close harder then a sphincter at the sound of a pissed of bear), of asking in our community if anyone would be interested in a swap of my Panny Leica 50-200mm f 2.8-4 (with or without the TC14, that would be up for discussion) with an Olympus 40-150mm f 2.8 Pro (probably with an MC14 if they want the TC14)

I wonder with the M4/3 teleconverters were design specifically to interfere with 4/3 adapters to make them incompatible.
Yes. And incompatible with all other mFTs lenses, where the protruding front element of the TC could damage the rear element of the lens. Of course, they are almost certainly optically incompatible as well.

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
A few more outdoorsey samples of the Panny Pankey lens ... just to make sure the point is made how much I like this little gem after all :p
View attachment 847379
The lens can sharpen up quite a bit in post even side open.

View attachment 847380
The minimum focus distance is not ground-breaking but decent enough depending on the size of your subject (the little snail was about 3-4 cm across).

View attachment 847381
The bokelishousness of the background is a dreamy blur :p

View attachment 847382
But man I love those delightful colors, even before I didn't have to touch any of the color sliders but this lens seems to make the colors even more delightful and contrasty.
Nice arachnid!

Mountain_Man_79

Wu-Tang is Forever
Real Name
Chris
Oh, both the V70 and the V60 is kind of comfortable once you get inside, but getting inside is the worst problem, the roof is so low when you get in the door that you have to bend your neck out of shape to get in! (At least for me.) And when you get in there is the roof support at the top of my head just centimetres from my head so if I get banged about a little I hit my head on it!
Crammed in there is the right word! That is how I feel sitting in a Volvo!
The XC90 might be better but I have never been in one.
Not everyone is a 7’8” tall monster Bo :eek:

I’ve got no experience with the smaller 60/70 series models, but the s90 (and I imagine xc/v 90’s are the same) is quite roomy. I kick back, let the car drive itself, and massage me while it’s doing so. Works for me!

jhawk1000

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mel
Come on guys, Volvo 60/70/90s? Cars that drive themselves. I have the ultimate driver's car. It has a 5-speed manual, flat 6 with lots of torque, easy to get into with the top off and just a bit harder to get out of because of it being so low. I am talking about my no-GPS equipped 1980 Porsche 911 SC Targa. It has an alpine stereo, a couple of amps under the seats, some sheepskin for the front seats and nothing else that did not come with it when I bought it 40 years ago. Take the foldable top off, seat belt yourself in, start the engine to that characteristic Porsche thump and put it into gear and head out with the wind in your face, the stereo trying to be heard and a roar that is not definable. Take it through the gears (at least up to third) and know that shifting is precise up or down unless it is into first gear at speed. Take a curve and while not as quick now as some of the new cars, the rear engine gives you a new feel. Stomp on it, go past kids in Mustangs, then watch them get on it so they can brag about dusting off a Porsche. Smile as they go by. Feel each expansion strip as you go slow but watch them disappear at speed. Yep, that is driving old style and I get lots of looks as the old guy with the silly hat goes by them.

Mountain_Man_79

Wu-Tang is Forever
Real Name
Chris
Come on guys, Volvo 60/70/90s? Cars that drive themselves. I have the ultimate driver's car. It has a 5-speed manual, flat 6 with lots of torque, easy to get into with the top off and just a bit harder to get out of because of it being so low. I am talking about my no-GPS equipped 1980 Porsche 911 SC Targa. It has an alpine stereo, a couple of amps under the seats, some sheepskin for the front seats and nothing else that did not come with it when I bought it 40 years ago. Take the foldable top off, seat belt yourself in, start the engine to that characteristic Porsche thump and put it into gear and head out with the wind in your face, the stereo trying to be heard and a roar that is not definable. Take it through the gears (at least up to third) and know that shifting is precise up or down unless it is into first gear at speed. Take a curve and while not as quick now as some of the new cars, the rear engine gives you a new feel. Stomp on it, go past kids in Mustangs, then watch them get on it so they can brag about dusting off a Porsche. Smile as they go by. Feel each expansion strip as you go slow but watch them disappear at speed. Yep, that is driving old style and I get lots of looks as the old guy with the silly hat goes by them.
If @BosseBe cant fit in a Volvo, there’s not a chance in hell he’d be able to squeeze into that Porsche 😂 although I suppose it’s a good thing the top comes off!

jhawk1000

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mel
Ovidiu, My previous spouse liked the Porsche but was always complaining about going around curves so fast and always complained that she got sick. I knew that I drove slow enough on curves with her and knew she was complaining more about me. Well, we went to our condo in WinterPark Colorado, and to get there you go over Berthoud Pass which is very high. It is curvy and it was then a two-lane road with visible drop-offs so it was a little scary. Well, we got up and over into WinterPark and the next day she wanted to go back over the pass and go shopping at a place further West. She was upset and was pissed about life in general so she got the ride of her life up the pass and down the pass with the Porsche's tail swinging around, tires squealing and when we got down, she had me stop so she could walk around. That was the last trip we made in the Porsche and she soon moved with her job to Dallas and I stayed. After that ride, she had no desire to take the Porsche. :)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom