what photography related item did you buy this week?

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
The thread size is the same as my Schneider Kreuznach 35mm enlarger lenses, if that's any help. Standard Meopta lens holder plate size.
Most Meopta lenses are M39x1.
Schneider Kreuznach has a wide variety of mounting threads, up to 77 mm, also L39, and others.

Here's a giant list of enlarging lens specs, from Agfa to Yashica. Mount thread dimensions, iris leaves, whatever you can think of:

http://www.photocornucopia.com/1061.html

algold

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Alex
Got my first faster than f 2.8 lens & prime & pancake in one :p ... I traded in a few old lenses I haven't used it a long time because the Pro lenses are a lot better, and asked for the Panasonic Lumix G 20mm f 1.7 Mark I ... and they sent me:
View attachment 846959

View attachment 846960
A mark II version :) ... well I won't tell them :p
The lens came with a 46mm to 58mm and a bigger Panasonic lens cap. Visiually the lens does look quite abused, with the black paint scratched around the lens barel front edge and the plastic rim around the front element scratched. The AF works well and the image quality looks very good. I will test the lens for the next few weeks to see how well I will get along with the lens, if not I can return it.
The size is so adorable and cute, I can fit in most of my trousers and hoodies quite easily ... it does make me wish I had the E-M5 Mark III or Pen-F :D
If the lens works well and you got it for a good price, a few scratches here and there are fine.
Enjoy the lens. I didn’t get along the the focal length and a noisy AF, but the image quality is very good and the size is great.

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
I didn't get to meet up with my Pentax today, but I received my Olympus E-450 body.
And it was in pristine condition!

FV5_0680-01.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
FV5_0681-01.jpeg
FV5_0682-01.jpeg

It has all of 871 shutter actuations. (R)
The flash has been used 115 times. (S)
The cleaning function has never been used.
The Ultra Sonic Filter has been used 1002 times. I suppose that is the number of times it's been powered on/off. (U)
Live View mirror lockup/AEL autofocus 1388 times. (V)

FV5_0677-01.jpeg

Unbelievable! Why does someone buy a nice camera like this, and almost never use it?
No complaints from me, though!

Manufactured in March 2010.
No errors recorded.
And the serial number matches the label.

I'm pretty pleased with my first 4/3 camera!
Now to order my M42 and Minolta MD adapters.

Real Name
Roddy
A camera is an easy item to not use. There are far worse culprits - in my career at sea I have always wondered what makes a man buy a $500,000 dollar boat (or a $100,000 or a $1,000,000 boat) and leave it moored to a dock in a marina for almost all of the year, taking it out for just an afternoon cruise now and again. There's a billion dollars of unused fibreglass in ports all over the USA. Madness, utter madness.

Why do people buy Apple products? :p
Because humans are a herd/tribal animal Ovidiu ...

Belonging to a tribe is very important to most humans.

It is very rare to find a human who is truly field independent.

It's also the reason that about half of humanity don't like cats. Cats are true individuals (except lions ... ). For many people this is all but impossible to contemplate for profound psychological reasons.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
Upsy looks like I opened a can of worms :p.
Well, the reason I had that statement is that my trust in Apple goes as far as I can walk on water. Apple's current and past behavior looks to be quite a dictatorship when it comes to consumers rights and access within their ecosystem:
*Apple MacBooks: Storage drives have hardware locked encryption chip that will deny yourself and others to you own data IF not accessed by Apple Engineers themselves, making your own information at the sole discretion of Apple to be accessed and recovered in case of ANY hardware failure (and I say ANY: if any hardware component fails inside a MacBook that stops the laptop itself from functioning you will not be able to service it without Apple's approval and costs). https://tidbits.com/2019/04/05/what-does-the-t2-chip-mean-for-mac-usage/
*The "new" conversation from Intel X86 CPU architecture to future ARM-based architecture means the software you currently use will have a lifespan of a few more years before it's declared obsolete and unsupported. The same situation happened when Apple switched from IBM Power architecture to Intel X86 back in early 2000, they promised a layer of software conversion from IBM to Intel but that performed very poorly and abandoned in less than 5 years.
*Right to repair Apple products, Apple believes that user has no access or right to the $$$ devices you already paid and servicing should be prohibited to only Apple itself, which is never cheap. No consumer choice there. Obsolecens when it comes to battery life and performance to force upgrades on the users. (Despite their best in the industry track record of OS updates for iPhones).
*E-Waste: Apple hard locks all its products turning everything into expensive E-Waste because Apple does not wish users to resell and/or repair their devices. Millions of dollars of perfectly reusable Apple products are being destroyed needlessly because they will not give users the power to reset the encryption of the originally purchased device.
*Apple's unwillingness to allow users to use their iMacs as monitors (video output) if/when their iMacs become obsolete or broken as computers, forcing users to replace the entire device even if the screen is perfectly functional.
https://applerepairstation.co.uk/Te... on,if you shut down or sleep either computer. ( iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) and later iMac models can’t be used as Target Display Mode displays. )
*Significant amounts of unreasonable refusals to fulfill warranty and repairs even on the most expensive items in their catalog (past and present).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdwDvz47lNw
*Apple's refusal to accept any apps to be published on their App Store without Apple Pay integration which forces all the apps to have some kind of payment in them (optional or not) where Apple takes 30% off any payments. While that in itself is considered fine by others the problem is there is no user option for an alternative since Apple does not allow 3rd party App Stores or installations, so you pay Apple weather you like it or not ... which is why there's a pretty big law-suite with Epic and other companies joining in against the Anti-Consumer behavior of Apple. (Some examples of Apple restrictions: http://blogs.computerworld.com/15955/iphone_pulitzer and http://blogs.computerworld.com/16169/apple_censors_republican and while these have been reversed who knows how many other refusals are still active today).

At this point (if you made it so far to actually read this, thank you, I really appreciate the interest you have given to this) you might believe I hate Apple and everything about it. I do not actually. I am quite brand-agnostic (Samsung phone, Apple tablet, Olympus camera, and Panasonic lenses, Windows-based laptop, both Xbox and PlayStation) and I just look for the right tool for the right job/need.
If someone would ask me if I recommend a specific Apple product I always start the conversation with what do you need it for and why did they pick that product specifically.
As for recommendations of Apple products themselves:
*I don't recommend Apple MacBooks because the T2 encryption, lack of touchscreen and pen support, very little innovation for the last few years, the switch to ARM will make all X86 devices be obsolete without any full-time long term developer commitment within a few years.
*I don't recommend Mac Pro simply because at that price you can have so much more as a consumer from other companies that I don't think Apple ever intended those devices to be used anywhere outside a medium to large size companies
*I don't recommend iMacs either because of the ARM switch as well
*I do recommend iPhones since they can work quite well as solo devices (of the Apple Ecosystem) and have decent long term support but at the eye-watering price it has these days it's just stupid crazy to pay 1.500 $ for a phone.
*I somewhat recommend iPads depending on user's needs and budget, ex: if you have spare funds for an LTE equipped iPad with its own unlimited data service in an area very well connected to a 4G network with consistent upload and download speed or high-speed WiFi access and don't mind using additional devices like https://eu.gnarbox.com/ to intake your images/videos and can handle iPadOS way of handling hundreds or thousands of files, or can afford the very high costs of Adobe storage plan for uploading RAW files to their cloud service for editing through the Lightroom and Photoshop Mobile Apps ... sure, why not :)

Every company has some flaws or downsides to their products, services, or ecosystem, nobody is perfect and probably never will be, but having the freedom to chose which one works best for you is more then what Apple offers. Kind of like Micro Four Thirds is a dual system and L Mount Alliance is a triple system where you can choose more than one option whine CaNiSony you have to move all of your stuff from one to another if you don't like it.
(Uh, and I can't wait to see the peeps who will be annoyed by the wall of text I made and just call me an Apple hater :D )

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
Pick your battles.
I think he just did...

...and I, for one, will offer my moral support to him right from the sidelines! But I won't declare war on Germany. They're on the other side of the Atlantic, after all.

And, also, I have to say that I admire the fearlessness and guts he's showing by quoting all these very valid technical reasons to avoid Apple like Typhoid Mary's hamburgers.

The problem he's facing is simply that he only convinces the already convinced.
People like me, for instance.

And I really could not care less about Apple technology. I freely admit that they have talented designers. And some stuff they proffer is pretty good.

The reason why I avoid Apple products is very simple. It's the same reason I have for avoiding to shoot up with heroin.

I have a powerful urge to be in control of as many aspects of my life as possible. I'll be damned if I'd pay good money to be enslaved and have my freedom taken from me. I can be enslaved for free anytime. Best use the money for something sensible. Like drinking myself into a stupor.

The people who really need to be convinced that Apple is evil have already put their signature on that contract that signs away their souls. Ergo, they are not on the market for sanity.

So, Ovidiu, I think you're in a lose - lose situation here. Sorry.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
I think he just did...

...and I, for one, will offer my moral support to him right from the sidelines! But I won't declare war on Germany. They're on the other side of the Atlantic, after all.

And, also, I have to say that I admire the fearlessness and guts he's showing by quoting all these very valid technical reasons to avoid Apple like Typhoid Mary's hamburgers.

The problem he's facing is simply that he only convinces the already convinced.
People like me, for instance.

And I really could not care less about Apple technology. I freely admit that they have talented designers. And some stuff they proffer is pretty good.

The reason why I avoid Apple products is very simple. It's the same reason I have for avoiding to shoot up with heroin.

I have a powerful urge to be in control of as many aspects of my life as possible. I'll be damned if I'd pay good money to be enslaved and have my freedom taken from me. I can be enslaved for free anytime. Best use the money for something sensible. Like drinking myself into a stupor.

The people who really need to be convinced that Apple is evil have already put their signature on that contract that signs away their souls. Ergo, they are not on the market for sanity.

So, Ovidiu, I think you're in a lose - lose situation here. Sorry.
Well ... there's only one thing I can say to that man:

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
A few of samples from the little Panny Pancakey:

(I swear the fly was pure coincidence)

(Pre Manual Focus at 4 meters in front of me, from the hip sides run and gun)

(I LOVE the way this little gem renders the colours, especially green)

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Real Name
Randy
Upsy looks like I opened a can of worms :p.
Well, the reason I had that statement is that my trust in Apple goes as far as I can walk on water. Apple's current and past behavior looks to be quite a dictatorship when it comes to consumers rights and access within their ecosystem:
*Apple MacBooks: Storage drives have hardware locked encryption chip that will deny yourself and others to you own data IF not accessed by Apple Engineers themselves, making your own information at the sole discretion of Apple to be accessed and recovered in case of ANY hardware failure (and I say ANY: if any hardware component fails inside a MacBook that stops the laptop itself from functioning you will not be able to service it without Apple's approval and costs). https://tidbits.com/2019/04/05/what-does-the-t2-chip-mean-for-mac-usage/
*The "new" conversation from Intel X86 CPU architecture to future ARM-based architecture means the software you currently use will have a lifespan of a few more years before it's declared obsolete and unsupported. The same situation happened when Apple switched from IBM Power architecture to Intel X86 back in early 2000, they promised a layer of software conversion from IBM to Intel but that performed very poorly and abandoned in less than 5 years.
*Right to repair Apple products, Apple believes that user has no access or right to the $$$ devices you already paid and servicing should be prohibited to only Apple itself, which is never cheap. No consumer choice there. Obsolecens when it comes to battery life and performance to force upgrades on the users. (Despite their best in the industry track record of OS updates for iPhones).
*E-Waste: Apple hard locks all its products turning everything into expensive E-Waste because Apple does not wish users to resell and/or repair their devices. Millions of dollars of perfectly reusable Apple products are being destroyed needlessly because they will not give users the power to reset the encryption of the originally purchased device.
*Apple's unwillingness to allow users to use their iMacs as monitors (video output) if/when their iMacs become obsolete or broken as computers, forcing users to replace the entire device even if the screen is perfectly functional.
https://applerepairstation.co.uk/Technical Desk/use-your-imac-as-a-display-with-target-display-mode/#:~:text=To leave Target Display Mode, press Command-F2 on,if you shut down or sleep either computer. ( iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) and later iMac models can’t be used as Target Display Mode displays. )
*Significant amounts of unreasonable refusals to fulfill warranty and repairs even on the most expensive items in their catalog (past and present).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdwDvz47lNw
*Apple's refusal to accept any apps to be published on their App Store without Apple Pay integration which forces all the apps to have some kind of payment in them (optional or not) where Apple takes 30% off any payments. While that in itself is considered fine by others the problem is there is no user option for an alternative since Apple does not allow 3rd party App Stores or installations, so you pay Apple weather you like it or not ... which is why there's a pretty big law-suite with Epic and other companies joining in against the Anti-Consumer behavior of Apple. (Some examples of Apple restrictions: http://blogs.computerworld.com/15955/iphone_pulitzer and http://blogs.computerworld.com/16169/apple_censors_republican and while these have been reversed who knows how many other refusals are still active today).

At this point (if you made it so far to actually read this, thank you, I really appreciate the interest you have given to this) you might believe I hate Apple and everything about it. I do not actually. I am quite brand-agnostic (Samsung phone, Apple tablet, Olympus camera, and Panasonic lenses, Windows-based laptop, both Xbox and PlayStation) and I just look for the right tool for the right job/need.
If someone would ask me if I recommend a specific Apple product I always start the conversation with what do you need it for and why did they pick that product specifically.
As for recommendations of Apple products themselves:
*I don't recommend Apple MacBooks because the T2 encryption, lack of touchscreen and pen support, very little innovation for the last few years, the switch to ARM will make all X86 devices be obsolete without any full-time long term developer commitment within a few years.
*I don't recommend Mac Pro simply because at that price you can have so much more as a consumer from other companies that I don't think Apple ever intended those devices to be used anywhere outside a medium to large size companies
*I don't recommend iMacs either because of the ARM switch as well
*I do recommend iPhones since they can work quite well as solo devices (of the Apple Ecosystem) and have decent long term support but at the eye-watering price it has these days it's just stupid crazy to pay 1.500 $ for a phone.
*I somewhat recommend iPads depending on user's needs and budget, ex: if you have spare funds for an LTE equipped iPad with its own unlimited data service in an area very well connected to a 4G network with consistent upload and download speed or high-speed WiFi access and don't mind using additional devices like https://eu.gnarbox.com/ to intake your images/videos and can handle iPadOS way of handling hundreds or thousands of files, or can afford the very high costs of Adobe storage plan for uploading RAW files to their cloud service for editing through the Lightroom and Photoshop Mobile Apps ... sure, why not :)

Every company has some flaws or downsides to their products, services, or ecosystem, nobody is perfect and probably never will be, but having the freedom to chose which one works best for you is more then what Apple offers. Kind of like Micro Four Thirds is a dual system and L Mount Alliance is a triple system where you can choose more than one option whine CaNiSony you have to move all of your stuff from one to another if you don't like it.
(Uh, and I can't wait to see the peeps who will be annoyed by the wall of text I made and just call me an Apple hater :D )
I doubt you will actually get a massive flamewar here. At least I hope you don‘t, as we don’t need the same quarreling that goes on in most tech forums. I’ve been into tech for 20+ years now, built many PCs, used many OSes. There have always been passionate debates there—littered with good arguments, bad arguments, and outright trolling (I was a moderator at one such forum many years ago). It almost always gets toxic. I’m not going to bring that here for yet another Apple/anti-Apple flamewar. This is OT anyway, and who wants to lock this 487 page thread over a techwar?

I should have left your original comment, “why do people buy Apple products?” alone. :sorry:

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
I doubt you will actually get a massive flamewar here. At least I hope you don‘t, as we don’t need the same quarreling that goes on in most tech forums. I’ve been into tech for 20+ years now, built many PCs, used many OSes. There have always been passionate debates there—littered with good arguments, bad arguments, and outright trolling (I was a moderator at one such forum many years ago). It almost always gets toxic. I’m not going to bring that here for yet another Apple/anti-Apple flamewar. This is OT anyway, and who wants to lock this 487 page thread over a techwar?

I should have left your original comment, “why do people buy Apple products?” alone. :sorry:
I think the solution is to buy more stuff.

Calumet Cocoon Light Tent 70 should be here tomorrow.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu

I promise I will behave better in the future and it wasn't my intent to start a flame war, I swear, sorry.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Real Name
Randy
I promise I will behave better in the future and it wasn't my intent to start a flame war, I swear, sorry.
My limited time on this forum suggests we probably wouldn’t go there anyway! With the way this year has gone, a lot of people’s nerves are frayed, so a light-hearted corner of the world is certainly welcome. :)

Though I do have to disagree with @John King, unless I misunderstand his comment on cats. We have a part-siamese that cannot stand being alone. Sometimes she will harass you until you sit down and let her on your lap, and you cannot pet her enough. We sometimes joke that she’s a cat that thinks she’s a dog. She absolutely loves people, but hates other animals. 😺

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom