what photography related item did you buy this week?

jederick

Mu-43 Top Veteran
A Panasonic GX9 after reading the lengthy, 6 page post on it here on Mu4/3...decided what the hell! Also, sold four cameras...two GX85's, a Sony RX100 MII, and a Olympus E-M10 MII with the two kit lenses. After all is said and done, I come out several hundred dollars ahead for my growing camera fund.

WT21

Super Moderator
A Panasonic GX9 after reading the lengthy, 6 page post on it here on Mu4/3...decided what the hell! Also, sold four cameras...two GX85's, a Sony RX100 MII, and a Olympus E-M10 MII with the two kit lenses. After all is said and done, I come out several hundred dollars ahead for my growing camera fund.
Did you buy the $480 black one on FredMiranda by any chance?

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
Just bought an Olympus i 6x16 monocular with the $50 Olympus Reward bonus code, along with a windscreen for my LS-P4 recorder. I think I got the wrong windscreen, but the monocular is a honey. A bit "stylish" for me, but the glass is 1st class. Very sharp and contrasty edge to edge and focuses very nicely. Also waterproof. I plan to take it along on photowalks as it hardly takes up any space and is much smaller than even my compact binoculars. The cheap Celestron monocular I bought five years ago sucks. This one is so much better. Image borrowed from Olympus website.

Attachments

Last edited:

JensM

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
As screename
Ordered some small stuff to complement the Olympus TG6 I bought on holliday. The twisty lens cap, the ring for TC, mostly planning for using it with filters, a 40.5 mm UV filter and a 40,5 - 46mm step up ring.

This flash mount slash camera grip slash L bracket thingy off of Gumptrade. Now the wait begins :D

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

vm666

Mu-43 Veteran
A second hand black Panasonic GX8 on mpb.com
I bought a used Olympus E-P5 a couple of months ago. Black too.

In both cases, I was tempted by these cameras when they were introduced, and I thought "no, that's no reasonable".
Funny thing, both were supposed to be sensitive to shutter shock and it has been fixed in firmware since. Maybe I would have been disappointed if I had bought them years ago when they were brand new?

Also bought the Meike circular fisheye 3.5mm f/2.8 a few weeks ago.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
A Billingham f1.4 on ebay. Same colour as the backpack (great for trips when we're not locked up), and the Hadley digital which I'll probably sell.

I had a Hadley large and that was too narrow - my 'standard' lens is the 17mm f1.2 and the battery grip lives on my camera. Should be room for a 100-400mm too - not that I own one or anything like that. Hope it's as good in person as it is in the photos.

NoTan2

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Paul
An Aodelan WTR-2 intervalometer.

I built a prototype which I controlled from a PC or smartphone. It worked fine but I decided I didn't want to wait for a Raspberry Pi Zero W to boot every time I wanted to use it and it was a bit bulky and ugly in a 3d printed box.

The Aodelan seems to work fine. I looked at lots of reviews before buying it so hope it is reliable. Quality feels good and comes with a manual. Runs on AAA's instead of coin cell so that's a bonus as well.

NoTan2

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Paul
A Billingham f1.4 on ebay. Same colour as the backpack (great for trips when we're not locked up), and the Hadley digital which I'll probably sell.

I had a Hadley large and that was too narrow - my 'standard' lens is the 17mm f1.2 and the battery grip lives on my camera. Should be room for a 100-400mm too - not that I own one or anything like that. Hope it's as good in person as it is in the photos.
Very nice. I've wanted a Hadley Pro for years now but they're too expensive here in Australia. Maybe one day.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
Very nice. I've wanted a Hadley Pro for years now but they're too expensive here in Australia. Maybe one day.
Are you getting stung on import duties/sales tax?

I have chopped and changed mine as I have chopped and changed my system. I buy secondhand via ebay wherever possible and am very patient. A Hadley Pro would fetch 80-150 GBP in average to perfect condition in the UK.

NoTan2

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Paul
Are you getting stung on import duties/sales tax?

I have chopped and changed mine as I have chopped and changed my system. I buy secondhand via ebay wherever possible and am very patient. A Hadley Pro would fetch 80-150 GBP in average to perfect condition in the UK.
Mostly shipping costs I think, Richard.
They're quite hard to buy locally and there seems to be a considerable markup.

Real Name
Roddy
I just realised that back in a previous boating life I used to get lots of stuff made to measure by a local marine canvas shop - tool pouches, gear bags, covers and so on. I wonder whether you'd be able to get a bag made to measure from such a shop still, today. I wonder what it would cost, as well. Imagine designing what pockets, flaps, zippers and other stuff you'd like, put where you want it. Fit a Tenba into it for the body and lenses and away you go. Hmm.....in fact, a waterproof satchel that is just made for a specific sized Tenba would probably do the trick....

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
I've looked at good quality shotgun cartridge bags in the past. I think any decent bag designed from the outset to prevent the contents from getting wet is a good starting point.

I've had at least half a dozen used Billinghams and have sometimes lost money and occasionally made a profit after fees when I've sold them on. I treat the losses as 'rental'.

I don't understand the appeal of the larger bags in the Hadley range though - they are only 3-4 inches deep. If your camera has a battery grip, you may either need to take it off, or fit a pancake lens to get it in the bag.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I just realised that back in a previous boating life I used to get lots of stuff made to measure by a local marine canvas shop - tool pouches, gear bags, covers and so on. I wonder whether you'd be able to get a bag made to measure from such a shop still, today. I wonder what it would cost, as well. Imagine designing what pockets, flaps, zippers and other stuff you'd like, put where you want it. Fit a Tenba into it for the body and lenses and away you go. Hmm.....in fact, a waterproof satchel that is just made for a specific sized Tenba would probably do the trick....
There used to be a few canvas manufacturers where I live years ago that could make nearly anything, but alas they have all gone. Cheap imports killed their trade.
Caravan suppliers also used to make a lot of custom stuff in their sewing shops.

Their are some craft people who still do custom stuff but very expensive compared to production made gear.

Now one day when we can go back to Bali or Vietnam there are custom shops there who make bags. I nearly got a camera bag made in Vietnam a few years ago. It was going to be cheap but their leather was too stiff for my liking. I was mainly after leather bags back then.

Real Name
Roddy
I've looked at good quality shotgun cartridge bags in the past. I think any decent bag designed from the outset to prevent the contents from getting wet is a good starting point.
Yes - I've used more than one fishing bag over the years for my gear. But not in the Tenba era, which would probably make it a fine option to explore. Soft-sided cooler bags have also been aboard with me as storage bags for camera gear, more for protection than waterproofness, but they served their purpose,too.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom