what photography related item did you buy this week?

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
A box Brownie,
Six-20 Brownie C
Seems complete and working. Has the spare spool for the film, shutter works and the two mirrors sort of work as they are a bit cloudy with age but to be expected. Leatherette has only a few minor marks as well.
Edit
Forgot it is missing the handle strap on top. I will have a go at making a replacement that looks similar

Last edited:

Panolyman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Brian
Promised myself a Leica for many years (I blame my Dad, who once owned - and was very skilled with - an M3). Long story/short etc...I gave up motorcycling 3 years ago (after 35 years) owing to the meds I was on so instead of a new bike, funds saved (or rather not spent) have gone into something which doesn't hurt as much if/when I screw things up...

View attachment 838855M240P by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

A Voigtlander Nokton 35-1.4 II is arriving to partner it. Leica glass is out of my £eague, sadly.
Sensible decision Richard and I'm sure you'll adapt to pedestrian (or even cycling) pace, out and about with your new acquisition.
I've always lusted after a Leica ever since my first Zorki 4 back in the 70's, but I can't justify one for looks alone.

Regarding Leica lenses, have a look on the LCE website for used equipment.
I have been shocked (and saddened) at the amount of Leica gear being traded in, in these tough times.
You might find something to suit, though I'm sure a Voigt is fine.
Looking forward to seeing some of your new pics.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
Picked up a vintage Olympus PEN EE EL half-frame camera for a bargain price locally. It's in very good condition and seems to be in working condition, but won't really know unless I put some film through it. I bought it primarily for display. I've always wanted one of Maitani's originals. Way cool.

PEN EE.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

BTW, the guy who sold it to me said he was selling for a friend. A friend who has more old cameras he wants to sell. He said he'll text me a photo of the stuff. Hmm... this could become a black hole! :-O

Last edited:

Panolyman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Brian
Right folks, I hope this doesn't make you too jealous.
These two beautiful lenses were given to me (free) by my elderly neighbour.
He's no longer interested in photography and these were a gift for helping him out with various chores.
2008-02-OM10-14:42.jpg
2008-03-OM10-14:42.jpg

I've already got a 50mm f3.5 Macro lens and it would have been remiss of me NOT to have ordered a 200mm f2.8 online yesterday. ;)

Last edited:

Gromit

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Richard
Sensible decision Richard and I'm sure you'll adapt to pedestrian (or even cycling) pace, out and about with your new acquisition.
I've always lusted after a Leica ever since my first Zorki 4 back in the 70's, but I can't justify one for looks alone.

Regarding Leica lenses, have a look on the LCE website for used equipment.
I have been shocked (and saddened) at the amount of Leica gear being traded in, in these tough times.
You might find something to suit, though I'm sure a Voigt is fine.
Looking forward to seeing some of your new pics.
Thanks Brian - it'll also be fun to use the Voigt on my M43 and Fuji, so looking forward to that. We're fortunate in having LCE Lincoln only 15 mins drive from us (even if my bank account isn't!) and the branch manager is a good friend, so may get him to be on the look-out for M-related stuff. No grand plans though, trying to take the 'K.I.S.S' approach. :)

Panolyman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Brian
Incredibly, I've just ordered the 200mm lens and a Neewer flashgun from the Lincoln branch.
Perhaps you could have got me a better deal. :laugh:

I can't believe I'm admitting this in public, let alone I actually bought it - but here it goes:
My photographic related purchase this week (actually it's already been two days ago) is a brand new, unopened Pen-F. My second Pen-F to be more precise. Why a second one? Because I like this camera so much that I kind of got worried if my current one faces a fatal issue and Olympus would stop servicing, I might be left without one. Kind of dumb, I know. While it's sitting on my shelf for now, I plan on using it once I get a fitting strap.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
I can't believe I'm admitting this in public, let alone I actually bought it - but here it goes:
My photographic related purchase this week (actually it's already been two days ago) is a brand new, unopened Pen-F. My second Pen-F to be more precise. Why a second one? Because I like this camera so much that I kind of got worried if my current one faces a fatal issue and Olympus would stop servicing, I might be left without one. Kind of dumb, I know. While it's sitting on my shelf for now, I plan on using it once I get a fitting strap.View attachment 838961
Makes perfect sense to me.

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
My photographic related purchase this week (actually it's already been two days ago) is a brand new, unopened Pen-F. My second Pen-F to be more precise. Why a second one? Because I like this camera so much that I kind of got worried if my current one faces a fatal issue and Olympus would stop servicing, I might be left without one. Kind of dumb, I know. While it's sitting on my shelf for now, I plan on using it once I get a fitting strap.View attachment 838961
Backup is always a sensible thing. Ask me. I love my original, black metal body Pentax Q. So much so, in fact, that I have two more black Q bodies with the 01 lens in the original, unmolested boxes up in the closet. My first one is still going strong, despite a lot of roughhousing. It's been thrown on rocks and parking lots, among other things. The magnesium body has dents in it and is showing its true colours under the black paint in several places. Now using it with the 18 mm Pentax-110 lens. Wide angle? Naah, with 5.6 crop factor it's a compact 100 mm equivalent...

Real Name
Roddy
Right folks, I hope this doesn't make you too jealous.
These two beautiful lenses were given to me (free) by my elderly neighbour.
He's no longer interested in photography and these were a gift for helping him out with various chores.
View attachment 838950View attachment 838951

I've already got a 50mm f3.5 Macro lens and it would have been remiss of me NOT to have ordered a 200mm f2.8 online yesterday. ;)
Is the house the other side of him for sale, Brian?

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Real Name
Randy
Finally took the plunge on the MC-20 to pair up with my 40-150 pro. I initially tried to go with the 75-300 for the long end, but I found it lacking. I had the MC-20 on my watch list, waiting for a sale price to kick in, which just happened again! Seems most photography gear bounces between MSRP and 10-20% off, so patience can pay off. Free overnight shipping from Adorama, too.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
Oh no. A Pen F hoarder. What's next, toilet paper?

Ra5cal

New to Mu-43
This Saturday I picked up a PL 12-60/2.8-4. Me likey. First piece of gear I've bought in 4 years so forgive me for not buying it exactly this week

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
I haven't bought anything since last week!!
How about that, folks?

Right now I'm looking for an Agfa Isoly, the first model, with the shutter release on the right side of the lens (when holding the camera). Didn't think it would be this hard to find, but the Isolys I seem to find are all of the later model, with a decent case, instead of the extremely unattractive plastic case of the first model, and the shutter release on the top of the camera. And they all seem to have a missing aluminium cover plate that should be on top of the finder.

Many Agfa models of entry level medium format (120 film) cameras at the time had this type finder, and today most of the covering plates obviously have gone missing. I've got an Isoly Junior (notice the difference?) which has this defect.

That one I'm going to make a top plate for myself, though.

Located one at an auction site, but it's bundled with three other, extremely unattractive (to me) Agfas, at least two of which seems to be defective, at an exorbitant price level.

Like the price I paid for four Dynaxes with three working A-mount lenses. Shipping will cost extra...
I'll be b*gg*r*d before I buy that lot!

And it's also afflicted by the missing plate syndrome...

Agfa Isoly early model.jpeg

And why, in the name of heaven, do I want this crappy camera? Because one like it was my first own camera! Got it from my parents, Mr and Mrs Flintstone, at the dawn of time.

My second camera was the Zenit 3M with the Helios-44. What a marvel of technology, in comparison! Bought that, fittingly enough, second hand, for my own money.

At the beginning of recorded history, there was apparently no legislation in place that banned child labour.

My dream camera at the time was, obviously, the Spotmatic. Which I've (over)compensated for in later years.

Well, we'll see how it goes...

EDIT: no bids, as of yet, on the auction lot.
Another lot, by the same seller, has two later model Isoly cameras. And one of them actually has the covering plate in place, still.

Also exorbitantly priced and no bids. Waiting for the auction time to run out. Then I'll see if I can talk some sense into the seller, and perform a transplant.

Actually, this seller is the same guy I bought the Dynaxes and the Zenit bodies from. I've already sent him a mail with a suggestion as of price, and combination of cameras. Strangely, I've received no response. Maybe his mail has gone down.

I was also thinking that Agfa must have been using seriously sub standard glue at that period in time.

You know, before the invention of cuneiform writing... 😁

Last edited:

c0ldc0ne

Mu-43 Regular
But with the PD, even when a bit loose, the bag seemed to naturally sit up against the center of my back instead of pulling to one side.
Ironically, it has been the exact opposite for me with the TT Turnstyle 20 and the PD Everyday Sling 5L. Go figure.

This is why it’s nigh impossible to find the right bag based on reviews. One man’s comfort is another man’s torture.

mumu

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Ironically, it has been the exact opposite for me with the TT Turnstyle 20 and the PD Everyday Sling 5L. Go figure.

This is why it’s nigh impossible to find the right bag based on reviews. One man’s comfort is another man’s torture.
Yup, very true. You never know until you actually try it yourself. Although that line doesn't carry much weight when I explain why I bought another bag to my wife.

c0ldc0ne

Mu-43 Regular
that line doesn't carry much weight
But the bag does, if that’s any consolation. :cool:

And I found that my wife’s scrutiny and subsequent critiquing of my bag collection diminished quite sharply once I started asking her to rationalize her considerable stash of staggeringly redundant fashion accessories. So we ultimately arrived at a mutually satisfactory “let’s not go there” type of understanding.

alex66

Mu-43 All-Pro
But the bag does, if that’s any consolation. :cool:

And I found that my wife’s scrutiny and subsequent critiquing of my bag collection diminished quite sharply once I started asking her to rationalize her considerable stash of staggeringly redundant fashion accessories. So we ultimately arrived at a mutually satisfactory “let’s not go there” type of understanding.
Never had that issue, a new camera or bag turns up no issue if the money is there to spend. She would not care if I bought a hundred cameras and fifty bags, though she may get a bit annoyed with the space taken up. Hell if she is in a charity shop and sees a camera she rings up to see if I fancy it.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Real Name
Randy
I didn’t really buy anything, but I wanted to give a nod to usedphotopro.com. I had ordered a used lens from them, and the price and condition were good and the shipping was fast. I ended up returning the item, and the return was easy, with a quick refund. I’m not affiliated with the company, I just like to recognize a good retailer when I find one.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom