what photography related item did you buy this week?

John King

Mu-43 Top Veteran
photo books? As in do they prevent aging/yellowing? I don't have a single photograph from years ago that hasn't yellowed. Most are glossy though. Matte will probably stay.
Because they use offset printing in either CMYK or 8 colour, and non-photographic paper, they are far less prone to fading/yellowing etc.

A printed book is also far less exposed to light and other environmental reagents (gas fumes). These are major causes of damage to prints.

Pigment inks are probably longer lasting than offset printing, but the cost rapidly becomes horrendous for paper and inks.

For the real technical details, read "The Digital Print" by Jürgens, but I will warn you, it's not for the faint hearted!

Bought a second-hand camera bag: the Lowepro Hatchback 22L AW. Excellent condition (seems that it has never been used). Should be ideal for hiking with a camera and some food/water. And my Peak Design Capture Clip nicely fits on the shoulder straps.

NoTan2

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Paul
A cheap charger and pair of batteries for my Nikon D70s. ($29 AUD)

I really don't mind if "you get what you pay for". I just want to take a few photos to remind myself what they look like. I also want to keep it running as, apart from the "sticky" rubber, it's in perfect condition. (I hope - haven't tried it for a while.)

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
Bought some Minolta Dynax [A-mount] cameras
fv5_0399-01-jpeg.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

fv5_0398-02-jpeg.jpg

Paid a very reasonable price (Shipping and two Zenit-E bodies included).

Last edited:

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
Also got me a pair of Zenit-E bodies.
Both with working selenium cell light meters.​
fv5_0402-01-jpeg.jpg
One of the bodies, 1966 vintage, has the M39 mount. This I've never seen on a Zenit-E before. I thought they were only made in M42 mount. Maybe someone swapped the mount. Anyway, I'm keeping that one. It'll make a good rear lens cap for my M39 aluminum Helios-44. Paid $45 for the Minolta lot and these (shipping included).

Last edited:

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
I've looked into the Zenit-E story a bit further.
It seems that the earliest production run of Zenit-E indeed was made with the M39 mount.
FV5_0405-01.jpeg

Other differences from the usual Zenit-E are the white shutter speed dial (of the same type as the speed dial of the Zenit 3M), and the different covering material, which both are present on my body, a very early one: the 7196th camera produced.

Early Zenit-E [Serial # 66007196]
FV5_0406-01.jpeg
FV5_0407-01.jpeg

Standard Zenit-E [Serial # 71073092]
FV5_0404-01.jpeg
FV5_0403-01.jpeg

The Zenit-E was produced between 1965 and 1986, with the first two digits of the serial number indicating the production year.

Last edited:

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
It's been several weeks actually, but in these pandemic times, days seem like weeks and hours like days (paraphrasing Spock - Wrath of Khan which was just on the tube). I bought a LowePro Photo Active BP 200 on sale for $99. I was looking for a travel backpack that would fit into the personal item category for travel and would fit under the airline seat. It also needed to carry travel essentials like papers, batteries, windbreaker, etc. I bought a ThinkTank Urban Access 13, which is really a nice camera backpack, but I decided it was too big to fit under the seat. It also had a smallish compartment for travel essentials. The Photo Active is smaller, but can still carry an EM1.3 w/12-100 Pro mounted, 40-150 Pro+MC-20, and still have room for another body or a couple of lenses. My modded LowePro Fastpack BP 150 AW II couldn't carry the big lens. So, in deciding between the Urban Access, Fastpack, and Photo Active, the latter got the nod and I sold the other two.

I thought it was on sale because they were discontinuing the Photo Active, but a week or two afterward, they raised the price to $170 and discounted it to $136. Same model. My impulse buy saved me quite a few bucks, which covered most of my losses selling the other two bags.

Attachments

cjoliprsf

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Claude
Bought some Minolta Dynax [A-mount] cameras
Erich, I'd be curious to know how many vintage lenses and cameras you have in your collection! Must be an amazing number...
Do you have a Praktica with Meyer Oreston 50-1.8 lens? There is an ad here locally for this camera (inexpensive), and I am wondering if that lens is a good candidate to start experimenting with adapted lenses on M4/3. Your opinion would be appreciated.

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
Erich, I'd be curious to know how many vintage lenses and cameras you have in your collection! Must be an amazing number...
Do you have a Praktica with Meyer Oreston 50-1.8 lens? There is an ad here locally for this camera (inexpensive), and I am wondering if that lens is a good candidate to start experimenting with adapted lenses on M4/3. Your opinion would be appreciated.
Yeah! It's a very nice lens. It's a Biotar clone (6 elements in 4 groups), and the M42 mount makes the adapter cheap and uncomplicated.

I don't have the Oreston (I think...) but I have a couple Pentacon Auto f:1.8/50 mm which is the same lens with another name. And multicoated, which will make the colours a little colder.

The difference is in coating and perhaps in the number of iris leaves. Older Oreston lenses are single coated, more flare prone, and a little warmer colours, and maybe has more leaves. But most have 6 leaves.

And the zebra version of the Oreston looks, imho, nicer than the Pentacon.

But the build is same: all metal and glass.
The Pentacon has a plastic A - M switch, though. Also the Pentacon have a tendency to get a stuck aperture on account of oil on the iris leaves. Don't know if that's the same for Oreston.

But they are not that hard to clean up. Even I managed to put my Pentacon Auto back together. That's the one I've been using for my posts in this forum. Started out with a stuck aperture on f:1.8, later cleaned that up.

I've posted some from the Pentacon Auto f:1.8/50 mm in the Flower thread. Also some in the cat thread.

Another lens to check out should be the Russian Helios-44 f:2/58 mm in its various models.

This lens is also a Biotar clone (6 elements in 4 groups), and comes in many different models, all are good, with metal construction, except the Helios-44-M5, which is part plastic.

They have different number of iris leaves, newer models have 6 leaves, the older ones have 8 leaves. The first model has 13 leaves, but this one I think is only available in the silver version (M39/M42).

The Helios-44-K is Pentax K bayonet mount.
All Helios-44-M models are M42.

And how much to pay? Often it's cheaper to buy an old camera with the lens fitted to it.
I've seen the Helios by itself on eBay for US$ 50-60, which is far too much to pay, imo.

A good price should be about US$ 10-15.
This goes for all of the above, Oreston, Pentacon, and Helios.

EDIT(1): I forgot. The Pentacon and the Oreston has a better minimum focus distance than most 50 mm lenses: only 33 cm.

The Helios-44 have the standard 0.7-0.5 m shortest focus distance, depending on the version.

EDIT(2): I made a mistake. Sorry. The Biotar, and its clones, Oreston, Pentacon, Helios-44 obviously has 6 elements in 4 groups, not five, as I first wrote. Silly me...

But still: Go for it!

Last edited:

mumu

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Bought 2 things this week. The first was a small, soft cover photo book, approx 30 pages, containing some of my street photos. My plan is to carry it in my bag and use it to explain what I'm doing if someone asks me why I'm photographing them or other strangers. Hopefully, it'll allay people's fears about my intent.

20200731_160315.jpg

(all.these.moments.will.be.lost is my Instagram acct)

The second thing is a Peak Design 10L sling bag. I had no intentions of replacing or augmenting my Think Tank TurnStyle 20 sling bag but my local shop had the PD on sale (it's a ver 1 model, not the new ver 2 style) with a healthy discount and with all the street shooting I've been doing lately, the small "pain points" on my TurnStyle were starting to really annoy me. Primarily it was the fact that the TurnStyle is a very non-stiff bag. That's great because it flattens nicely for carrying in my travel bag and I can squeeze a bit more in there when needed, but it also means that when I'm wearing it and it's over half-full, its shape changes and the shape of the lens pockets (as formed by the padded dividers) often times gets squished, making it difficult to stow my larger diameter lenses. In contrast, the PD bag is stiffer and so the lens pockets stay the same no matter what the bag's orientation. The stiffer construction also means I can't stuff as much into it as my TurnStyle but that's probably a good thing since my lower back is very sensitive to loads on a single shoulder. So over-stuffing a sling bag is something I should be avoiding, anyway.

The PD sling also has a much bigger outside pocket for carrying my junk (sunglasses, reading glasses, wallet, Leatherman, ear buds, floss, keys, etc) AND beneath that pocket are straps and a flap so I can strap in a light jacket, rain shell, umbrella, or tripod. To carry a small umbrella on my TurnStyle, I had a tailor sew a kind of Molle patch on the bottom and then use strips of Velcro loops to attach the umbrella but it's always a bit fussy to re/re the umbrella.

But what really surprised me after using the PD is that it actually sits on my back more comfortably than the TurnStyle. With the TurnStyle, after an hour of walking, I usually have to have it cinched very tightly to keep in a position that doesn't bother my lower back. But with the PD, even when a bit loose, the bag seemed to naturally sit up against the center of my back instead of pulling to one side.

061def2d-b0e8-4175-b886-e8e398585af7.jpg

Last edited:

Panolyman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Bought 2 things this week. The first was a small, soft cover photo book, approx 30 pages, containing some of my street photos. My plan is to carry it in my bag and use it to explain what I'm doing if someone asks me why I'm photographing them or other strangers. Hopefully, it'll allay people's fears about my intent.

View attachment 838748
(all.these.moments.will.be.lost is my Instagram acct)

The second thing is a Peak Design 10L sling bag. I had no intentions of replacing or augmenting my Think Tank TurnStyle 20 sling bag but my local shop had the PD on sale (it's a ver 1 model, not the new ver 2 style) with a healthy discount and with all the street shooting I've been doing lately, the small "pain points" on my TurnStyle were starting to really annoy me. Primarily it was the fact that the TurnStyle is a very non-stiff bag. That's great because it flattens nicely for carrying in my travel bag and I can squeeze a bit more in there when needed, but it also means that when I'm wearing it and it's over half-full, its shape changes and the shape of the lens pockets (as formed by the padded dividers) often times gets squished, making it difficult to stow my larger diameter lenses. In contrast, the PD bag is stiffer and so the lens pockets stay the same no matter what the bag's orientation. The stiffer construction also means I can't stuff as much into it as my TurnStyle but that's probably a good thing since my lower bag is very sensitive to loads on a single shoulder. So over-stuffing a sling bag is something I should be avoiding, anyway.

The PD sling also has a much bigger outside pocket for carrying my junk (sunglasses, reading glasses, wallet, Leatherman, ear buds, floss, keys, etc) AND beneath that pocket are straps and a flap so I can strap in a light jacket, rain shell, umbrella, or tripod. To carry a small umbrella on my TurnStyle, I had a tailor sew a kind of Molle patch on the bottom and then use strips of Velcro loops to attach the umbrella but it's always a bit fussy to re/re the umbrella.

But what really surprised me after using the PD is that it actually sits on my back more comfortably than the TurnStyle. With the TurnStyle, after an hour of walking, I usually have to have it cinched very tightly to keep in a position that doesn't bother my lower back. But with the PD, even when a bit loose, the bag seemed to naturally sit up against the center of my back instead of pulling to one side.

View attachment 838749
That's a really great idea with the book. :thumbup:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom