what photography related item did you buy this week?

CD77

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Chris
So quite the adventure today: got home exhausted and angry from work, slept 2 hours and a half waiting for delivery, got message delivery failed when nobody even knocked at the door, went into Hulk angry and smash out of frustration and panic for one hour then randomly get a late knock at the door with my package. And here’s the little trouble maker:
View attachment 834627
Sorry about the low light, I’m still tired and have trouble going back to sleep so I have my curtains closed so I don’t get beaten by daylight.
So, today it’s a few firsts for me:
*First time I bought a Micro Four Thirds prime lens since 2013 (when I got my duo Sigma 19mm and 60mm f 2.8) ... and all I can think is:
*First AF macro lens (I have owned the Minolta MD 50mm f 3.5 Macro) ... his makes me go (with excitement):
*First 1:1 macro lens as well:

I have a feeling I will end up owning all the Olympus macro lenses in the end
I’ve had mine a couple of weeks now and love it, sharp as a tack and fun to use... don’t think you’ll be disappointed!

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
After selling a few PL lenses (here on this forum) that I wasn't using, I went on a bit of a miniaturization spree--9mm BCL, P14mm 2.5, and P25 1.7.

And that's not all, I scored an "exceptional condition" EM5.3 at Lens Authority. It came with everything and looks brand new. The pristine condition wasn't much of a surprise since it ended up only having 1830 shutter actuations on it. :cloud-9-039:

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
Olympus E-M1 Mkii

See what the fuss is about, see if it is worth a dam !!
Since my E-M1 Mk.III is basically the Mk.II with a nipple implant and went to college for about two year (it didn’t finish it like the E-M1X) You won’t be disappointed, for landscape it has everything I would ask of it, for Wildlife it can do it competently (just be careful with the low light) and for macro it’s so much fun and easy to work with. (That’s about the extent of my personal experience and interests).

I’ve had mine a couple of weeks now and love it, sharp as a tack and fun to use... don’t think you’ll be disappointed!
I do love the tiny size and weight so much, it won’t be much bother to have it with me around even if I don’t plan on using it. I’ve gotten so used to zoom lenses I forgot how much advantage Micro Four Thirds have in the prime department. I think I need a two chamber lens pouch or something to put this one and the Olympus 30mm f 3.5 Macro when I get that one too together so they don’t get bullied (aka scratched and oushed

After selling a few PL lenses (here on this forum) that I wasn't using, I went on a bit of a miniaturization spree--9mm BCL, P14mm 2.5, and P25 1.7.

And that's not all, I scored an "exceptional condition" EM5.3 at Lens Authority. It came with everything and looks brand new. The pristine condition wasn't much of a surprise since it ended up only having 1830 shutter actuations on it. :cloud-9-039:
I wouldn’t be able to do it, I find all Panasonic Leica but 45mm f 2.8 Macro more interesting lenses then Olympus offers, be it interesting FL choices (20mm/1.7, 50-200mm/2.8-4, 100-400mm/4-6.3) or interesting small size (15mm/1.7,12-60mm/2.8-4) or pure workhorse beasts (12mm/1.4, 25mm/1.4, 42.5mm/1.2, 200mm/2.8, 8-18mm/2.8-4).
Very nice find in that E-M5 Mk.III

traded 30/1.4, 19/2.8, 14-42iiR+WCON for a used 12-40/2.8 over mpb.com after most positive experience with them getting an (un)used X100T last month
That’s a very nice trade. Even though my Oly 12-40/2.8 has been with me only 5 months I’ve been extremely impressed with the sharpness, it’s one of the most consistent and well mannered lens. It does everything very well with no downsides or ifs and buts. The semi-macro abilities are darn amazing. I have been thinking of using mpb.com but haven’t tried it.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
...plus a $$ difference of course! (regarding @L0n3Gr3yW0lf ‘s whoa)
Well I wouldn’t expect it to be a direct trade :p
PS. I tend to use the WoW emoji the most as there’s not a lot of emojis to express one-self ... kind of like The Emoji Movie.
(I admit that I am of a young generation that is using strange habits of internet communication and expression, emojis, memes, Gifs, extreme randomness in conversations).

MichailK

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have been thinking of using mpb.com but haven’t tried it.
I am pretty impressed by their service, given the fact that I live at the other corner of Europe (8-10 days for DHL to move things around each way given the covid mail mess). I got the X100T and found out the charger was faulty and it seems the previous owner just shelf the camera away without going after warranty or charge through usb or so (shutter count at 600!). Told them over chat and they almost immediately told me to throw it away and they shipped me a working one, similarly new, the next day - no shipping charges. I hope Brexit won’t affect them. They’ll get my future $.

Last edited:

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
I am pretty impressed by their service, given the fact that I live at the other corner of Europe (8-10 days for DHL to move things around each way given the covid mail mess). I got the X100T and found out the charger was faulty and it seems the previous owner just shelf the camera away without going after warranty or charge through usb or so (shutter count at 600!). Told them over chat and they almost immediately told me to throw it away and they shipped me a working one, similarly new, the next day - no shipping charges. I hope Brexit won’y affect them. They’ll get my future $.
WoW ... some people are just such lucky son-of-a-guns :p
That is a very awesome find, happy to hear mpb were so accommodating and helpful, that is an impressive user experience (I had some bad ones so I know how it can get sometimes).
I didn't realize they were UK based because they have the international .com extension, so I went to the Company Info:
Company Info
Name & Registered Office:
MPB Europe Ltd
64 Ship Street
Brighton
East Sussex
BN1 1AE
Company No.: 06510353
VAT Registration No.: GB 876 4657 69
Noice ... I will definitely buy something from them, I thought they might be some international seller or something so I felt a bit unsure about them ... but now I know :)
I do live in the UK but I'm not from here (I'm from Romania), Brexit is probably going to affect them in some way or another, either price or ease of shipping with EU (don't think there's going to be a good trade deal with EU).

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
I wouldn’t be able to do it, I find all Panasonic Leica but 45mm f 2.8 Macro more interesting lenses then Olympus offers, be it interesting FL choices (20mm/1.7, 50-200mm/2.8-4, 100-400mm/4-6.3) or interesting small size (15mm/1.7,12-60mm/2.8-4) or pure workhorse beasts (12mm/1.4, 25mm/1.4, 42.5mm/1.2, 200mm/2.8, 8-18mm/2.8-4).
Very nice find in that E-M5 Mk.III
My problem with those lenses was that I didn’t ever end up taking them with me when I went out, as I used the long lens most of all. These primes can be pocketed so I’ll actually have them with me. And yes, the EM5.3 is pretty nice. I haven’t owned an Olympus body before, so I gotta learn the ins and outs of shooting with it.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
My problem with those lenses was that I didn’t ever end up taking them with me when I went out, as I used the long lens most of all. These primes can be pocketed so I’ll actually have them with me. And yes, the EM5.3 is pretty nice. I haven’t owned an Olympus body before, so I gotta learn the ins and outs of shooting with it.
I miss the Panasonic bodies sometimes, the rangefinder EVF style especially ... *reminiscences on GX-7*

Shadetree

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Butch Oakey
The biggest problem with Olympus cameras for me was the menus but reading David Bushe's book on the E-M5.1 straightened it out and some help from the great Mu43 folks from time to time...

MichailK

Mu-43 All-Pro
WoW ... some people are just such lucky son-of-a-guns :p
well, that Tee has been a pure lucky find indeed but me, not that lucky all around: it took five years of drooling to be able to afford a used X100 as a second fetish niche body, three of which have been a home health train wreck involving Lord Cancer(s) & the Cold Riper on top of the long standing relationships with Mr. Freidreich and his ataxia(s) businesses - thank god for photography for keeping my mind sane while recovering from my stroke that left me as stupid as before it occured :drama:

Trade in prices are also great
after receiving my stuff, they even changed their quote to a higher number: they found the 14-42 a step lower than my assessment but they found the 30/1.4 “like new” instead of my “excellent” and I got a few €€ more overall

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
Just registered the little Oly macro with MyOlympus:
1594426745490.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

3 years warranty ... coolz :)

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
It never stops does it:
1594427124162.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Since I got mbp stuck into my brain I was thinking of checking out what they have in there (currently) and I found this little fella that I have been eyeballing for a while :)
(It's going to do well on my trip to Sicily and I can't wait to see if it helps with the Oly 60mm f 2.8 Macro).

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
@L0n3Gr3yW0lf It's a great little flash, but powered from the camera battery. I use mine a lot with my E-M1 MkII.
I know, I have been researching it for a few months now. I'm ok with powering it from the camera because I love the small size and portability and yet literally no skimping on features: tilting, panning, weather sealing (damn it Olympus you know how to pack a punch on value per £/$).
What I haven't found out about it yet is which big dedicated flashes work well or best with this little bugger for off-camera wireless flash for macro work (I could guess any R rated Olympus flashes but I have literally no experience with flash systems or strobing)

Latest threads

Top Bottom